PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a KIT to build a life size R2-D2

Turbowars
10-22-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey guys and Gals, I was wondering if any of you have heard or seen a Kit to make a life size R2. If anything, a company that makes the dome. Thanks

JediTricks
10-22-2002, 10:16 PM
jeddah is the only person I can remember on these forums who has been making a life-sized astromech, and it seemed like it wasn't a simple kit. Let's see if we can get her peepers on this thread, I'll move it to Gen Disc.

Turbowars
10-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Thanks Tricks. I don't want it to move, maybe just light up.

JediTricks
10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Oh, ok, then I'll leave it here. I suggest you PM jeddah though, lots of info to be had there on this subject.

Turbowars
10-22-2002, 10:25 PM
How do I pm her if I know where to find her. Maybe you should move it anyways

jedihunter25
10-22-2002, 10:38 PM
At Celebration 2, there was an R2 builders group. I guess from what I heard it takes 3 years and $3,000 to build one (and thats just for basics). I don't know how to add links in these forums so I'll just tell you the name of a site that has a link to an R2 builder site- www.robotbuilders.net They will have more links with people and places that build R2 parts. There is also a book thats around that tells you how to build one written by one of these R2 builders ($25). Their E-mail is infinityis@shaw.ca Just E-mail them saying that you are interested in the book and they will reply back. If you want to go a cheaper route- just get an R2 pepsi cooler like I did. You can find them on Ebay or check the want ads of your local newspaper.

JediTricks
10-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Ok, thread moved. It is a real discussion topic, so why not.

Anybody can be PMed by clicking "new message" in your PM controls and then putting the username (so long as they accept PMs) or simply clicking the PM link (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=37) from jeddah's profile.

Turbowars
10-23-2002, 01:56 AM
Thanks a million Jedihunter25. Great site. It looks like the 1st thinng to buy is the dome. Theres a metal one that has all the cut outs and detail that sells for only $700, I think I'll make 2 or 3!LOL, Looks like a lot of fun and one heck of a project, a bit harder than I thought. It's really not a kit, but you have to make most of the parts. I'll report when I start, The hard part is picking the R unit to build, R2, R3, R4?????

jeddah
10-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Hi TurboW,

Happened upon this thread without a PM ;)

If you are serious about building an R2 unit you should be prepared to either wait or spend vast amounts of dough.

but you don't have to

Craig (a fellow R2 builder, was onstage at C2 with Anthony Daniels) built his for under $500.00 but it is not screen-accurate. What that means is the processor state indicators may not have the correct amount of leds or fibreoptics, the octagon ports may look similar but not identical etc, etc.

I would suggest you join the Yahoo e-group R2-builders and click on Dave Everetts (the founder) website (linked above).

I joined the R2 builders in January 2001 and there is a picture of where I was at a few months ago, in the Micromachins forum, but I can't find the thread now. (JT, it was the one where we posted pics of our collections...any clues?)

Anyway, decide whether you want to build from fibreglas, resin, styrene, wood etc and then research the blueprints. When you sign up with us, you'll get a welcome letter that will have all you need to get you started researching. There are decisions to make as to whether you are having a semi-autonomous droid, static or semi-static.

Mine is taking so long because I have decided to build exclusively out of aluminium (although the main radar eye is resin at the mo) and I am having a fully automated 2-3-2 legged droid.

There are complete blueprints and many members offer parts on a cost-only basis.

A word of warning, avoid anyone with the name Mike Tait or Greg Knowling, both of who have offered kits in the past. Mike Tait is a criminal who will not send you anything, and Gregg, although good-intentioned, has let his orders get on top of him, unfulfilled and unfulfillable, with the casts he uses being inaccurate and full of air bubbles.

There are no real kit builders anymore as we are given a certain amount of levity from Lucasfilm. In the past C&D orders have been served on the prop community from Paramount (ST) and Lucasfilm (SW) so we tread carfully. This is a not-for-profit arrangement and we have to respect Luscasfilms intellectual and physical property. EBay will get you a ready-made R2 for an extortionate price. You can make them much cheaper, and the reward is there in your own crafting. As far as spending $3K - that's up to you.

The book that is mentioned above is a helpful reference but it certainly doesn't tell you how to build an R2, it gives hints and tips on the electrical side of things but some builders are making boards to control certain parts, and the new Hasrbo Interactive R2 has it's own Yahoo group with a bias to bashing it for a 1:1 R2 application. (although quite why anyone would want an R2 playing the cantina theme is beyond me[/i]

You can make any R2 or R3 astromech you want. The R4, R5 and R6 domes are coming but we're concentrating on R2 at the moment. Some members have R2-Q5, some are making their own colour schemes and Max has R4-M9. There are also a lot of R3s being made using a $30.00 18" clear perspex bird feeder dome.

2 weeks ago my shoulders were delivered. They weighed 12lbs each and are shiiinnneeey.

Hope this helps, the links you need are

this for the website and links (http://www.robotbuilders.net/r2/) and the members list is here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/r2builders)

Oh, there is an added benefit in that Don Bies is a member so he has given us valuable information on certain issues like colour (did you know for example, that the top secret R2 blue colour was based on a Pepsi can?)

JT, I should take a photo of my new aluminium parts, they're even more impressive, (ankle cylinders, ankle details, Shoulder bells, power coupler, shoulders, restraining bolt)

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you on the list. By the way, you will get between 40-100 emails a day if you subscribe to the email option. Or, you can browse the yahoo site for individual posts. I'd go for the email option as it is the easiest to follow. Beware, however there are a lot of file attachments in this group such as Autocad files, Jpegs and Acrobat etc

jeddah

JediTricks
10-23-2002, 06:53 PM
jeddah, here's the post itself: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=174243#post174243

Can't wait to see the new parts, I wish I had enough $$$ to do this myself, but having a visual record of yours is almost as good. :D

jeddah
10-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks JT, I have been pmd and I think TWs is in a good starting place now :)

As soon as I get more film, I'll take more photos as I've been really excited about my latest acquisitions (the shoulders). I paid for the legs about 3 months ago. They are machined aluminium and include the feet and battery boxes and middle leg. The shoulders I got the other week weighed 12lbs so God only knows how heavy and pricey these legs'll be to ship.

The pic below shows these alum legs (coloured blue for reference). The shoulder corbels at the top are what I received the other day.

:cool:

jeddah

Exhaust Port
10-26-2002, 01:17 PM
That is awesome jeddah!

jeddah
10-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Thanks EP, but just to clear things up, that pic (with the blue legs) is not my droid, it was just to show what I've ordered and am waiting for delivery of :)

jeddah

JediTricks
10-27-2002, 01:30 PM
Very cool, that's a long way towards getting R2 built right there! Shipping sounds like a nightmare, 12lb shoulders just for those 2 little horseshoe things means this little droid in finished form is gonna weigh a lot, huh?

Exhaust Port
10-27-2002, 08:25 PM
So are you going to order a "small person" to fit in your droid and operate your R2 Unit? The shipping as got to be killer to get one of those home. Make sure they poke holes in the box. ;)

jeddah
10-28-2002, 02:06 PM
Lukily I don't need a Kenny V8 ;) , the builders have been making modular parts so that you can build a static 2 legged droid with illuminated electric dome and then work on the 2-3-2 leg transition as and when...

I guess around 150-300lbs for my R2. (All the internal gubbins and arms weigh a lot, plus the 9V gelpac car batteries are hefty hefty hefty :eek:

Hopfully he's heavy enough to run over kids rather than push them along like a cowcatcher :evil: ;)

jeddah