PDA

View Full Version : Should I open them all?

Death Star Gimp
10-23-2002, 07:26 PM
I have every single figure from 1995 onwards carded. I don't have enough space to hang them on the wall, but I do have enough space to open them and display them in the spare room. At the moment they are all in a box in th attic.

Do I open them, or should I consider collecting a duplicate set to display?

Lord Tenebrous
10-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Open them, you'll have more fun with them, posing and playing with your hobby.

But open them all at once, or you'll develop an addiction to the smell of new plastic. :D

Battle Droid
10-23-2002, 08:26 PM
Release them from thier plastic prison! :eek:

Jargo
10-23-2002, 09:03 PM
open every last one all at once and make a big mess like it was sixteen christnmases rolled into one, have a play with all those little former prisoners and enjoy them the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Mike Troxell
10-23-2002, 09:08 PM
I used to be a carded collector, but I opened them and was never happier :)

JangoFart
10-23-2002, 09:33 PM
That's completely your call, Gimp. It all depends on what YOUR goals are with YOUR collection. If, like some here, you still play with toys, open them all! If, like some here, you don't play with toys, but like to pose them all action-like, open the ones you'd like to make action scenes with. If, like some here, you don't play with toys, but collect because you like Star Wars and like possessing the products, keep them carded. If, like some here, you collect them because you think they will put your kids through college, open them all :)

First of all, you need to decide what it is you want out of your collection. Listen to nobody but you and do as you decide.

J

Old Fossil
10-23-2002, 09:41 PM
We need an 'Action Figure Counseling' Forum for problems like this. JF, you could moderate.

"This is Doctor JangoFart. I'm listening..."

Deoxyribonucleic
10-23-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
If, like some here, you collect them because you think they will put your kids through college, open them all :)

Couldn't have said it BETTER!

JangoFart
10-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
"This is Doctor JangoFart. I'm listening..."

I LIKE IT! (Said in my best Robocop badguy voice)

J

Prince Xizor
10-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Open them all, but make sure you save the Jedi Master Points! Don't Forget Them! They will have a use! I swear! Soon! AAH!

Chiesa
10-23-2002, 11:26 PM
Open 'em please and enjoy them. What fun is it to keep them in boxes in a cold dark attic?

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

JangoFart
10-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
Open them all, but make sure you save the Jedi Master Points! Don't Forget Them! They will have a use! I swear! Soon! AAH!

HAHHAA!

Man, if that hasn't turned out to be the biggest rip off in toy history, I don't know what is. They need to crap or get off the pot with that stuff! I say just take 'em off the cards and acknowledge what we all already know - they are worthless and will remain so.

J

Chiesa
10-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Muhahaha...

Don't be too confident!! Hasbro may one day actually surprise us and actually tell us that it coud be used to redeem some stuff with some SW purchases. :) Well at least I'm not the only one keeping my fingers crossed in this area :P

Cheers...

JangoFart
10-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Well, if they do, Chiesa, they'll do like they did for the EP1 Mace mail-off: You have to have a dated receipt with the figures being bought in between ABC and XYZ date; effectively making us go out and buy new crap just to get whatever it is they pawn off on us this time.

I've written it off.

J

jedihunter25
10-24-2002, 12:01 AM
I also been collecting since 95 and I open mine and save all the cards- by having all the cards I can keep count of how many figs I have and how many $1,000's of dollars I have spent over the years (if I never bought any figs, I could have bought a very nice house by now- but that's ok).

Lewis
10-24-2002, 04:12 AM
Well with being the tender age of 32.....:( I think it would look a bit strange playing with my figures, I collect mine and have them on display unopened, I just love to look at them, I played with the first figures released in 1977 & just see this as keeping hold of my childhood memories.:p

Chiesa
10-24-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by JangoFart
Well, if they do, Chiesa, they'll do like they did for the EP1 Mace mail-off: You have to have a dated receipt with the figures being bought in between ABC and XYZ date; effectively making us go out and buy new crap just to get whatever it is they pawn off on us this time.

I've written it off.

J

Well thats with receipts with dates on them. The jedi master points do not have dates on them, so maybe its still worth while keeping them somewhere in some little box. If they ask us to produce a receipt with date and the pts together, then thats really really nasty!! Well I'm sure eventually they will have some use. Perhaps another mail away with like 500 points or something like that will be cool. What do ya guys think of that?

Cheers...

Sinister Lord
10-24-2002, 08:47 AM
Yes... I say open most of them!

The only ones I would leave in the packages would be the red carded ones with extra long lightsabers. I think those are probably the only ones with any long term value. And they are certainly worth more carded than they are loose. In the case of these, I would only open the cheaper short saber green carded duplicates instead. Leave the red carded ones in the package.

Darkross
10-24-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by jedihunter25
I also been collecting since 95 and I open mine and save all the cards- by having all the cards I can keep count of how many figs I have and how many $1,000's of dollars I have spent over the years (if I never bought any figs, I could have bought a very nice house by now- but that's ok).

Hmmm....this sounds a little familiar to me too. I too open everything...and keep the cards. Although I am considering starting a carded collection of certain figures that have variations...but I doubt it...since I still have about $4 - 5,000 still to go to complete my collection and at the rate that the new vehicles are being priced...it's going to suck trying to multiples of the Shuttle, and the new Falcon (whenever Hasbro decides to make it!).

I say open them all...c'mon...you know you want to! Especially open USA FF Weeqay! Hahahaha!

aceguide
10-24-2002, 12:21 PM
OPEN!!!!

aharry
10-24-2002, 02:11 PM
Short Version: Follow your heart!!

Long Version:
I had the same problem. I used to collect 2 of everything, one to open/ one not to open. This included figures, beast packs, vehicles, and playsets. A while back I decided that trying to get two of every vehicle(ex: Naboo Starship or Y-Wing) or beast pack(ex: Eopie or Faamba) was just way to expensive. So I gathered all my boxed vehicles and beasties together and sold them. That left me with my carded figures and whatever specialty items like the Coin figures, cinema scenes, and some two-packs.
When Episode 2 came out with a new, wider bubble design, I could already tell that room was growing short again. I then had to make another and much harder decision, which side of my figure collection should I get rid of. I posted a thread similar to this one and got almost a split decision. I have my opened stuff displayed on shelves and had the cards spread out behind the displays. I finally decided to keep the opened stuff and sell off the cards in various sets.
I started out as a carded collector, got the idea to start displays, and found I liked my loose figure displays more than keeping everything boxed. I also don't feel compelled to buy everything to complete the collection, I just buy what I need to complete my displays. I still usually get one of every individual figure, but I can pass on some of the rescuplts if it is similar to something I already have, such as the first Cantina Bar set wave. I already have these figures(two different scuplts in Greedo's case) and don't think I need another. The only toys still packaged in my collection are the Cinema Scenes, the Coin figures, Anniversary Items, most of the two-packs, Theater Luke, and two Green 3POs from Japan. Another fringe benefit to going one way or other is that I now have money to collect something else like MOTU or Gundam models.
As mentioned in previous responses here, do what makes you happy with your collection. Just wanted to share my story with ya!!

InsaneJediGirl
10-25-2002, 03:30 PM
I'd keep the harder to find and long saber orange/red figures carded,find some nice Star Cases for them.

The rest I would open and have a ton of fun with!Its cool spreading your action figures out on the floor and playing with them:D

Banthaholic
10-25-2002, 08:17 PM
This is a kind of the 'which came first the chicken or the egg' kind of question, and as most people brilliantly state it all depends upon your prefenece.

The one way I like to look at it is this way. Any MIB/Carded collector can instantly become a loose collector. Although the loose collector will have to shell out alot of $$$, and ALOT of time to get back the MIB/Carded collection.

To each their own. MAke sure your able to enjoy the toys, that's why we buy them!

Death Star Gimp
10-29-2002, 05:41 PM
I've made the decision to keep my collection carded but display them proudly in the spare room. I am thinking along the same lines as Lewis, I too am 32 years old, I am also married with a family, so even if I do still have the childish enthusiasm to play with them I certainly don't have the time.

I do believe my collection won't be worth that much in 20 years time but I don't collect for that reason. I was hooked from the age of 8 and as I look at my collection on the wall it is as though I'm in the best shop in the world where I can pick any figure I want, anyday, anytime which reminds me of shopping for SW toys at Xmas time in Liverpool when I was a wee nipper.
..sniff... sniff.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Death Star Gimp
I've made the decision to keep my collection carded but display them proudly in the spare room. I was hooked from the age of 8 and as I look at my collection on the wall it is as though I'm in the best shop in the world where I can pick any figure I want, anyday, anytime which reminds me of shopping for SW toys at Xmas time in Liverpool when I was a wee nipper.
..sniff... sniff.

That's a really great reason to keep them on the card...definitely can't argue with that!

It also is a form of artwork really...instead of paintings or pictures, you can have 3D artwork hanging on the walls!

Darth Cruel
10-29-2002, 08:13 PM
What are you all thinking? The correct way to do it is to buy one of everything to keep IN the package and an extra of the ones you want to open, to open!

JEDIpartner
10-30-2002, 08:39 AM
I have every single figure from 1995 onwards carded. I don't have enough space to hang them on the wall, but I do have enough space to open them and display them in the spare room. At the moment they are all in a box in th attic.

Do I open them, or should I consider collecting a duplicate set to display?

An unopened figure is like a great house you own, but will never live in.
An unopened figure is like a new car that you own, but will never drive.
An unopened figure is like a grand vacation you have paid for but will never take.

This is just my thought as a late-comer to this thread.

Tycho
10-30-2002, 04:40 PM
Try opening a few you can easily replace with easy-to-find carded figures on the racks in retailers now.

Gather a few of them together in a very small room in your house with little or no ventilation. Put a warm, wet towel over your head (preferably still steaming) and open each figure with your face very close to the plastic.

Smell that? It's what new figures smell like! :D

When you go out to the stores and find something brand new, especially something hard to find, and you open it and sniff it, it's nothing like your old vintage figures!

It smells like success! Because after only a few weeks or so, your newest figures will lose that "new figure smell" (kind of like 'new car smells' - but only in general terms).

There's nothing like the scent of fresh plastic in the morning!

For an added bonus, try figures with great hollow spots in them: like The Famous Mouse Droid, or figures with large plastic cloaks like Luminara, JarJar, Shaak-Ti, the Royal Guard - or ones with accessories of the same type that you can wear on your nose: like Anakin Outland Peasant Disguise's poncho, etc. Boba Fett's rain coat is also a pretty decent sniff.

I've been sniffing figures since the '70's. :crazed:

I think it's secretly so popular that it will be the next subject of an Austin Powers movie!

It all started when I was in my childhood developmental years.

I used my sense of touch to move the figures' arms and legs.

I used my sense of hearing to listen to R2D2 and the Powerdroid make clickety-click noises when I moved them.

I used my sense of sight to examine all the new details of each figure as I purchased them, holding them very close to my face!

AND THEN I SMELLED THEM!!!!

Those are 4 of the 5 senses you can use to appreciate your Star Wars action figures in the privacy of your own home right now!

We've only got to establish a line of edible action figures to develop a true sense of taste for these things!

I've asked Hasbro about this on several occasions at conventions, but I've been removed from the room and hospitalized. Still, if we start a petition, perhaps the collectors will triumph in the end. However, you can't really collect them if you eat them, so I suppose you might want to save the packaging to show you've once owned them. Then again, if you don't open them, you won't be tempted to eat them, and you'll still have your whole collection without losing any of the pieces.

But snorting a few of them never hurt anybody!*

I once did have to have holographic Leia surgically removed from my nose - so I suggest sticking to the larger figures...:crazed:

Haaaahaah-HAHHHA-HAHHHAHHH-hahhha-hee-haw-hoo-hoo-ha!

JangoFart
10-30-2002, 04:58 PM
Tycho, my man....

You seriously could use someone to talk to; preferrably someone in a white coat in an office with nice, white, padded walls. :)

J

Tycho
10-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Relax dude! After many waves full of action figures being freed from their blister packaging - and with the help of some live-subject human experimentation, I have now made a safety device that allows for the sniffing of Mouse Droids that frees the sniffer from any worries about eating them!

Now I don't see what the problem is. Do you?

JangoFart
10-30-2002, 06:48 PM
No, no, no. It's not a problem! (I'll distract him while the others sneak up behind him with the new "suit" for him to "try on")

hehehe

J

Jedi Master Silas
10-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Lewis what are you talking about ? LOL My husband and I are in our thirtys (30 & 33) and we play with our toys. Heck I have GI Joes on my desk which I play with when I need a break. Theres nothing wrong with letting out your inner child :) We open alot of our toys and leave some sealed. My only problem is that I loose weapons or forget who certain weapons belong too.

Darth Cruel
10-31-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Try opening a few you can easily replace with easy-to-find carded figures on the racks in retailers now.

Gather a few of them together in a very small room in your house with little or no ventilation. Put a warm, wet towel over your head (preferably still steaming) and open each figure with your face very close to the plastic.

Smell that? It's what new figures smell like! :D

When you go out to the stores and find something brand new, especially something hard to find, and you open it and sniff it, it's nothing like your old vintage figures!

It smells like success! Because after only a few weeks or so, your newest figures will lose that "new figure smell" (kind of like 'new car smells' - but only in general terms).

There's nothing like the scent of fresh plastic in the morning!

For an added bonus, try figures with great hollow spots in them: like The Famous Mouse Droid, or figures with large plastic cloaks like Luminara, JarJar, Shaak-Ti, the Royal Guard - or ones with accessories of the same type that you can wear on your nose: like Anakin Outland Peasant Disguise's poncho, etc. Boba Fett's rain coat is also a pretty decent sniff.

I've been sniffing figures since the '70's. :crazed:

I think it's secretly so popular that it will be the next subject of an Austin Powers movie!

It all started when I was in my childhood developmental years.

I used my sense of touch to move the figures' arms and legs.

I used my sense of hearing to listen to R2D2 and the Powerdroid make clickety-click noises when I moved them.

I used my sense of sight to examine all the new details of each figure as I purchased them, holding them very close to my face!

AND THEN I SMELLED THEM!!!!

Those are 4 of the 5 senses you can use to appreciate your Star Wars action figures in the privacy of your own home right now!

We've only got to establish a line of edible action figures to develop a true sense of taste for these things!

I've asked Hasbro about this on several occasions at conventions, but I've been removed from the room and hospitalized. Still, if we start a petition, perhaps the collectors will triumph in the end. However, you can't really collect them if you eat them, so I suppose you might want to save the packaging to show you've once owned them. Then again, if you don't open them, you won't be tempted to eat them, and you'll still have your whole collection without losing any of the pieces.

But snorting a few of them never hurt anybody!*

I once did have to have holographic Leia surgically removed from my nose - so I suggest sticking to the larger figures...:crazed:

Haaaahaah-HAHHHA-HAHHHAHHH-hahhha-hee-haw-hoo-hoo-ha!

Tycho - There is therapy for this kind of thing now. :)

Lewis
11-01-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Lewis what are you talking about ? LOL My husband and I are in our thirtys (30 & 33) and we play with our toys. Heck I have GI Joes on my desk which I play with when I need a break. Theres nothing wrong with letting out your inner child :) We open alot of our toys and leave some sealed. My only problem is that I loose weapons or forget who certain weapons belong too. Im glad that you can still appreciate these fine figures and that you can share your fun with a partner..:) BUT...here in the UK people frown upon childish (to them) acts of fun, i envy your fun time with your figures :( ...Good on ya:p

Prince Xizor
11-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Lewis what are you talking about ? LOL My husband and I are in our thirtys (30 & 33) and we play with our toys. Heck I have GI Joes on my desk which I play with when I need a break. Theres nothing wrong with letting out your inner child :) We open alot of our toys and leave some sealed. My only problem is that I loose weapons or forget who certain weapons belong too.

Gee, I wish my Girlfriend had your point of view about toys. She hates that I still buy them.

But maybe I can kind of understand why. Just the other day, I told her I would take her out to dinner, but couldn't afford to after I found a Vader Unleased at Walmart. Sorry! I just couldn't contain myslef, you know how hard that thing is to find. Needless to say, she hates my toys even more know.

Turbowars
11-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Keep them carded. Look at it this way, If you keep them carded you have a option to open. If you open, you don't have the option to recard. How about that.HEHE!

Death Star Gimp
11-01-2002, 06:02 PM
Tycho, your bang on mate.

I also have all the vintage figures (uncarded because I did play with them when I was a kid). I keep them in a sealed box, not because I want to hide them away as a pension plan but simply because 96 vintage figures in a sealed box smell fantastic - it smells of childhood, it smells of Xmas 1981 of ripping off the wrapping paper to find a star destroyer with a couple of figures thrown in - thanks Mum!

I also do exactly what others have suggested, I will purchase two of figures that I like the look of and open one. I have about 80 figures which are open - but they smell different!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-01-2002, 06:15 PM

I also do exactly what others have suggested, I will purchase two of figures that I like the look of and open one. I have about 80 figures which are open - but they smell different!

I know, it's a shame....different kinds of plastic :( Too bad they couldn't inject "vintaga plastic pheramones" into the new figs so we could have that smell. I still have several vintage mail-aways still in their boxes/plastic baggies and I can still get a wiff of that wonderous smell! I also loved the old inserts that came with the vehicles/playsets/boxed figs/etc.

Oh the good ol' days

By the way, whoever started this thread....have you made your decision yet? Haven't looked through all the posts in here so I'm not sure what, if any decision you made?

Death Star Gimp
11-01-2002, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I posted earlier, I'm keeping em' on the cards and hanging them on the wall in the spare room - just don't tell my wife.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I posted earlier, I'm keeping em' on the cards and hanging them on the wall in the spare room - just don't tell my wife.

Oh I'm so stooooopid sometimes...I even commented on that post you made about your decision:crazed: ....sheesh, you'd think I just had a labotomy or something :) Thanks for posting again and again I think that's a great idea :)

I'm on the phone to your wife as I type....:evil: