PDA

View Full Version : Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

Eternal Padawan
10-30-2001, 08:57 AM
...has a scene in a "Castle Anthrax". That's sort of retro-inappropriate, don't you think? I can't decide if that's just wrong or even funnier and more twisted. I believe I'll go with the latter.

And I highly recommend the new Special Edition DVD, if only to watch the LEGO version of the Holy Grail on Disc 2!!

bigbarada
10-30-2001, 09:16 AM
"It's not a very good name is it?"

I would be super PO'ed if some politically correct buffoon tried to edit it out or dub in a new name. Don't try it, I'm watching you!!:mad:

El Chuxter
10-30-2001, 01:38 PM
So the new DVD is worth getting to replace my old one? Ah, I figured as much. :)

I'm glad they left Castle Anthrax. It would've fit with the blank spots in Back to the Future and the removal of guns from ET, but I'm glad Zoot doesn't now say, "Welcome to the castle Influenza."

JediCole
10-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I'm glad they left Castle Anthrax. It would've fit with the blank spots in Back to the Future and the removal of guns from ET, but I'm glad Zoot doesn't now say, "Welcome to the castle Influenza."

The blank spots in Back to the Future? The removal of guns from ET? Of what do you speak, Chuxter? Have the DVD releases of these films succumbed to the "Let's all pretend that terrorism, and even the idea thereof, did not exist in the world before September 11, 2001" mentality? I had heard of an episode of That 70's Show in which the line (referring to fireworks), "If it involves blowing stuff up, I'm in!" had the "blowing stuff up" reference silent-dubbed over. This was a re-run aired the week of 9/11 in place of a scheduled movie that would have had violent content. It seems that everyone is walking far too much on eggshells these days and it is a shame.

The name of Castle Anthrax was, and still is, at its worst an irony. I know there are those who want us to believe that irony is dead, but it is not. Nor is humor. I for one will not hide in a shell of altered films, dubbed out lines, and CGI removed World Trade Center towers. Frankly I'm sick of it all. We will never move forward if we ignore our past.

Brave Sir Robin
10-30-2001, 03:23 PM
When seeing the DVD edition of Hannibal I observed that Osama Bin Laden has a picture next to Hannibal Lecter on the World's Most Wanted Criminals list. Was this before or after the tragedy occured? I think it's a little bit weird to put this in a movie. As for stuff like removing the guns from ET, it is just stupid. I understand people who want to respect the dead, but don't start pulling apart movies, because it's stupid.

Eternal Padawan
10-30-2001, 07:56 PM
E.T. Rerelease in march 2002 has all the FBI agents guns replaced with walkie-talkies because Speilberg says it's a childrens movie and he doesn't want them in there. Plus, Federal Agents wouldn't chase after small children with firearms.

Back to the Future has taken out all references to the terrorists' country of origin at the beginning of the film. i forgot what country it was, but instead there's an uncomfortable silence in that space now.

LTBasker
10-31-2001, 09:49 AM
So the FBI is going to be chasing them with walkie-talkies? What're they gonna do? Bop'em over the head with the antenna? Aye corumba... no wonder E.T. wanted to leave. ;)

bigbarada
10-31-2001, 10:05 AM
Geez, and we all thought it was bad having Greedo shoot first. I for one know I will NEVER buy the edited versions of ET and Back to the Future out of simple protest of stupidity. I've lost all respect for Steven Spielberg after reading this.

JediTricks
10-31-2001, 10:49 AM
I gotta check out this Holy Grail DVD!!! As for the word "anthrax", an older version of the word was simply meaning a carbuncle, a malignant boil. Not pleasant, but not something that needs to be edited out of the film IMO (not that I think anything should be edited out of that film).

Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
When seeing the DVD edition of Hannibal I observed that Osama Bin Laden has a picture next to Hannibal Lecter on the World's Most Wanted Criminals list. Was this before or after the tragedy occured? I think it's a little bit weird to put this in a movie. Bin Laden was a wanted terrorist criminal before Sept 11th, 2001, for his involvement in terrorist activities like the U.S.S. Cole and the '93 bombing of the WTC.

Poor Libyans, they were the terrorists removed from mention in Back To The Future on TV last month. I believe this was done by the network airing it and not the distribution company, studio, or producers.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-31-2001, 12:25 PM
It's one thing to deliberately go out of your way to add insult to injury to the 9/11 events by making fun of what happened, but to revise what occurred before is just plain revisionist. Wasn't that one of George Orwell's points from 1984?

Let's see... We can't change what happened but we can smooth over any 'negative' occurance by altering any reference to it. That makes a lot of sense. What's next, removing references to the Holocaust or slavery from history books because it brings up bad memories? :confused:

El Chuxter
10-31-2001, 05:47 PM
I think the edit was by NBC, but I pray that the DVD will have Libya (I thought it was Iran--d'oh!) restored. It sounded ridiculous, and even the letter Marty writes had a really faked looking blank spot. :eek:

Mandalorian Candidat
10-31-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I think the edit was by NBC, but I pray that the DVD will have Libya (I thought it was Iran--d'oh!) restored. It sounded ridiculous, and even the letter Marty writes had a really faked looking blank spot. :eek:

Wait, let me get this straight. NBC showed an edited version of Back to the Future and cut out all references to the Libyans bad guys? What's up with that?!

JediTricks
11-01-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
It's one thing to deliberately go out of your way to add insult to injury to the 9/11 events by making fun of what happened, but to revise what occurred before is just plain revisionist. Wasn't that one of George Orwell's points from 1984?

Let's see... We can't change what happened but we can smooth over any 'negative' occurance by altering any reference to it. That makes a lot of sense. What's next, removing references to the Holocaust or slavery from history books because it brings up bad memories? :confused: That book, 1984, that's not on the list of the "goodfacts" so I'm afraid you cannot mention it by name. No, no "realfacts" for you. ;)

This, unfortunately, IS quickly becoming the trend, reinforcing the idea that history is written by the victors. And it's not any one group, governments, studios, even Lucas himself are practicing this sort of thing these days:

new forums thread about Lucas changing LFL history - http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=838

old forums thread about Lucas changing LFL history - http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=8&PID=4948

(The mention of the mess in the Lando thread in the old forums link above is a reference to several comments, including one I made about Lucas severely rewriting the history of THX, that kinda got heated.)

JediCole
11-01-2001, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I gotta check out this Holy Grail DVD!!! As for the word "anthrax", an older version of the word was simply meaning a carbuncle, a malignant boil. Not pleasant, but not something that needs to be edited out of the film IMO (not that I think anything should be edited out of that film).

Another thing to remember is that anthrax was (when the film was made) and still is (to this very second) a naturally occuring infectious spore that commonly plagues livestock herds. Vaccines exist to prevent anthrax-induced illness in livestock, but as yet are not available for human use (outside of military applications). The primary reason for this appears to be a desire (on the part of pharmaceutical companies) to wait until they can perfect a vaccine with no side-effects. A misguided desire triggered by the most litigious society in the world. I for one would suffer the mild side effects in favor of a protracted and misserable death! But that isn't really the point of this reply.

The real point is that anthrax, like terrorism, suicide attacks, and Osama Bin Laden, existed long before September 11, 2001. It is a shame bordering on the ludicrous that we must all suffer what I call "The National Knee-Jerk". And just when the concept of being "politically correct" was finally in its death throes.

SWAFMAN
11-05-2001, 09:19 PM
"..Federal Agents wouldn't chase after small children with firearms."

Tell that to Sammy Weaver, young son of Randy and Vicki Weaver of Ruby Ridge, Idaho. Oh, I'm sorry, you can't tell him - because he's DEAD. (and so are Randy and Vicki)

Sammy was shot to death by a U.S. Marshal.

What's next? Re-edits of "Jaws" where, instead of being chomped into bloody giblets by the shark, everyone just gets really nasty fish-hickeys?

"Private Ryan," where, in the assault on Normandy, the infantrymen just get those cartoon X-shaped white bandage marks on their bodies, then are instantly all better again?

Eternal Padawan
11-06-2001, 10:29 AM
Randy's dead, too? When did this happen?

And making blanket generalizations about Federal Agents based on the actions of a half dozen dickweeds is uncalled for. Not all Federal Agents are "gun toting maniacs" whose primary reaction to any situation is to brandish their firearms. SOP would not call for them to chase after Elliot and E.T. with guns, so I think Steve made a good call, editing walkie talkies into their hands. Anyway, you get both versions on the DVD so you can watch the "gun version" any time you want.