PDA

View Full Version : Gunship Pilot's Cannons DO NOT TWIST - so read this before you break them!

Tycho
10-24-2002, 12:16 AM
The ball does not twist and it takes several tries to figure out how to attach the cannon to the gunship to allow the gunner to use it. I know because I broke one of mine. Then I figured it out. Hasbro puts no instructions that are clear on the figure card nor in the gunship instructions. I kept my broken guy because every gunship takes 4 pilot figures: 2 as gunners, and 2 in the cockpit, so it didn't matter if one cannon was broken. I wasn't going to use 4 per ship (cannons anyway) in the end of it, so there you go.

Everyone else: learn from our mistake. The Cannon ball DOES NOT TWIST!

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I've been trying to get them to twist.

Thanks for the warning, sorry to hear that your's broke though.

jedihunter25
10-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the warning Tycho, I'll keep that in mind- if I ever get my Clone Pilots that I pre-ordered from Kebco a month and a half ago.

Tycho
10-24-2002, 03:02 AM
The cannons are on an "L" bracket (plastic one though) - I guess that's the best way to describe their assembly-mount.

While one gun goes one way when you attach it to the ship (turned 90 degrees from the base standing on the floor, and then mounted on the inside support wall instead),

-the other gun will go exactly the opposite way, but you'll have to fold the "L" bracket the opposite way (like a double-joint kindof) and make sure that the place where the handle that almost looks like a manual crankshaft, can rotate upwards. Then the hand-grip with the gun's triggers assembly can be positioned so the gunner can grip them.

The gunner is pre-posed slightly tilted. This is on purpose. His head can also look up and down, besides turn side-to-side like a normal figure's. This is because you're going to have to have him posed angling down like he's shoveling dirt (or shooting at something below the gunship - regardless if the gunship is on your battlefield floor (kind of "landed"). Then rotate his head up a little if you want him looking out and back at you.

The real moral of the story is rotate the crankshaft style handle on the gun, not the bubble itself (or you'll break it) and mostly adjust the gunner figure, not the gun itself. It will be frustrating for a minute, but you're saving $4.99 and some difficulty in finding more gunners (especially when you need 4 at a time for each gunship) if you are just patient with the process. Once you "get it," the other guy will position a bitter easier - just remember to reverse the plastic "L-bracket."

Why Hasbro didn't put clear instructions out included with one or the other toy is beyond me. Kids are going to break these if adults already are. The darn ball-turret looks like it would rotate...

oh well...

Chiesa
10-24-2002, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the warning... :) save me some cash before i twiddle with mine. :D

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Sinister Lord
10-24-2002, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I twisted mine and it almost broke right off. It's a bit loose right now and it may break off at some point. I'm not too worried about it though, since it's just sitting on the shelf and it's not likely to spontaneously break at this point. And I could probably fix it if it did. But yeah, it is good to warn people about this.

JEDIpartner
10-24-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
...every gunship takes 4 pilot figures: 2 as gunners, and 2 in the cockpit, so it didn't matter if one cannon was broken.

All the close ups I saw of the Gunship stills had regular grunts in the bubbles, not pilots.

Besides that... I'm glad I didn't break mine. I didn't see the need to twist them for any reason. :confused: I only ordered two... and I got mine from KEBco a month ago! JEDIHUNTER 25... KEBco sent out an e-mail about 2 weeks ago apologising for the delay in filling orders. This delay is due to the dockworkers strike that was recently "ended". Yestertoys and a couple of the other e-tailers are experiencing the same problems... so HANG IN THERE!!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by jedihunter25
Thanks for the warning Tycho, I'll keep that in mind- if I ever get my Clone Pilots that I pre-ordered from Kebco a month and a half ago. hehehehhe I know how you feel JH. My box JUST arrived yesterday. They said the West Coast lockout thing messed them up. I dunno, i just hope i get my Ephont Mon and Destroyer droid before christmas! :D

Tycho
10-24-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

All the close ups I saw of the Gunship stills had regular grunts in the bubbles, not pilots.

You might be right. I'm seeing the movie for its last showing in the theater tonight at a special event for San Diego Star Wars fans. The 501st will be in full stormtrooper armor. Those of us who are Rebels like myself, will be in "San Diego civilian disguise" and arrive in discrete transports. ;) It's Halloween, so this ought to be fun. Meanwhile, I will look and see what kind of Clone officer told Anakin, "Sorry Sir. We're all out of rockets."

I think he was the co-pilot, but he might have been standing in command behind the actual pilots. Recall that Hasbro's ship is not to scale, so it is not laid out exactly the same as the movie's cockpit, and there might be room for an officer in the command section, who is not in one of the pilots' seats.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Sinister Lord
10-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Yeah, that's correct. In the movie, the side gunners on the gunship are regular white clones... not pilots. So if you are going for accuracy, you will only need two pilots for a gunship. The rest of the gunship would be populated by regular clones, mostly the plain white ones.

Beast
10-24-2002, 11:40 AM
But who cares about pure movie accuracy, load those Gunships up with as many as you want or can find. They are alot better then the red CloneTrooper and the preview CloneTrooper anyway. So Pilot Clones for everyone! :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
10-24-2002, 11:51 AM
The Red Clone Troopers might be good for that, since you can just paint the red parts to white and they're well articulated for that sort of thing, plus they don't lean when standing. :D Mine sits well on my POTF2 Speeder-bike, so they should have no problem manning the cannons whcih means you only need to get 2 pilots for each ship. :)

stad
10-24-2002, 01:47 PM
Yeah, let's here it for two pilots per gunship!! I'm all for that!

Sinister Lord
10-24-2002, 08:17 PM
JarJarBinks, you said "who cares about pure movie accuracy"? Are you kidding? This board is dominated by people who complain about things like the POTF2 version of Ponda Baba not having a removeable arm, and complaining that the Commtech Greedo's color scheme doesn't exactly match the colors in the movie. If that's not being a stickler for movie accuracy, I don't know what is. I mean, let's not kid ourselves... the majority of us are constantly complaining and pressuring Hasbro for more movie accuracy. And now your saying that nobody cares about it? Ummmm... no, I don't think so. Most people here do care about movie accuracy. And in the case of the gunship, it would be rather inaccurate to have pilots doing anything other than piloting the ship. The gunners in the movie are regular clones, not pilots.

Jargo
10-24-2002, 08:33 PM
I think he was saying that the point of the things is to se your imagination a little. I agree that the red clonetrooper works better though. I bought seven with six to repaint white since they have better articulation... well, they actually have articulation which is more to the point. They have legs that are just screaming to be dangled off the edge of the gunship platform. They have wrists so you can get hem to hold the controls better. The only thing they don't have is the neck movement. I love the pilot clone but his bending to one side annoys me for some reason. I got my two pilots and a small squad of clonetrooper passengers and one red clonetrooper to lead them into battle. I have six of those big gattling gun accessories that i don't need but I'm happy - scratch that I don't have a gunship until after November 20th........ :( almost happy then.

That said, i might loan the gunship to the rebels, have x-wing pilots in the cockpit and endor rebels in the bay with rebel fleet troopers manning the gun turrets. Maybe the imperials could use some extra firepower so they might get a turn. It's just a matter of taste really what you do with it but the important part is actually enjoying it and using it. What's the point of spending all that moolah if you don't get your enjoyment from it?

Darth Sidious
10-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Back to the subject of breaking turrets-if anyone should tell you their story about this, it's me. Ok, (Takes a breath) here it goes:
Yesterday I went to TRU and got my Lott Dodd and Clone Pilots (2 for my one Gunship) and I opened them, etc. at my house. Anyway, I put the turrets on, and for some reason that only God knows the last turret seemed like it had to be rotated to match up with th other one. So I rotated the first one, and it got loose (because the plastic was bending and breaking, but I didn't know it was breaking) but since the plastic DIDN'T break, I though it was rotating because it was supposed to. So I rotated the other one, and it did snap off. At that point I realized what happened to the other one-The plastic was breaking, not rotating in a ball joint. So I broke off the other (Nearly broken) one so I could return it too, instead of having one that was about to break off any second. If you understood that, congratulations, you deserve a medal. :D If not, just be careful. Don't make the same mistake I did. But, all's well that ends well, I have a pair of unbroken turrets attached to my Guship, and I'll be damned if I do anything to them but fire the missiles VERY carefully...

Val Da Car
10-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the clone trooper Pilot but I still ended up shooting myself in the face with the missle from the gun turret......it hurt my pride more than anything else...

--Not the Face Not the Face!!!!

Name the movie

RooJay
10-28-2002, 04:14 PM
Someone's got four of the suckers?! I'd be happy to fins ONE! I mean, outside of the local scalper's store - he seems to have quite a few of them, and since he doesn't sell any figure (even the pegwarmers!) for less than fifteen bucks a piece I'm left to assume that the case full he seemed to have of them are the ones that were shipped to the TRU down the street that never made it to the shelves!

Turbowars
10-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Thats funny all of my 11 Clone Pilot Turrets turn just fine. Can we say Variation?

Tycho
10-29-2002, 01:46 AM
Turbowars, you're twisting the plastic in a way it was not made to bend. I am not talking about the L-joint that folds in and over from the mount. I'm talking about rotating the ball.

Just turn one of those suckers 360 degrees and you'll have a broken toy. There's no variation people, so don't try it.

RooJay, ask someone at Toys R Us to open new cases from the back. Collection 1, Wave 8, R2 or R 6.5 something like that.

If the employee refuses, ask a different employee or ask the manager. Finally, go to a different Toys R Us (and tell them why you are doing that) if they refuse to help a customer. Right now new employees for X-mas help will bend over backwards to demonstrate their good customer service. Enjoy it while you can - it won't last!

Turbowars
10-29-2002, 06:30 PM
Tycho, so you don't think there could be a variation? It happens all the time.

Tycho
10-29-2002, 07:13 PM
Since the trooper can be posed using the gun at its correct spot on the gunship without turning the cannon, I don't recommend anyone break their toy trying it when it really isn't necessary.

Like I said, if you want to rotate your cannon 360 degrees - or 720 degrees, I think you'll be in for a disappointment.

Scan or photograph the back of the cannon to show me it is any different.

If I get a chance, I'll scan my broken one. Without a digital camera, I am dubious as to how good the picture will come out.

But again, especially for the kids here with limited money, don't twist your cannons!

Darth Sidious
10-29-2002, 07:19 PM
I think Tycho is right, there just wouldn't be a variation like that. I don't believe joint variations happen often. (Or at all?) Everyone, just take our advice, don't turn them!

Turbowars
10-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Yeah don't turn them, or you will they will come to your home and take them away from you. Relax guys. Mine turns about 1/2 way, so you are right. Are you happy now Tycho?LOL!;) Variation happen even when we don't know it.

Obi-wedge
11-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Tons of Clone Pilots at every TRU here. Tons of Gunships as well. Every Target, Wham-a-lart, and TRU has these.

JEDIpartner
11-03-2002, 01:24 PM
TRU only had the CA Padme's, TA Anakins and Tusken/Massiffs yesterday when I went to get my Silver Artoo.