PDA

View Full Version : Just hit me!!!!!

The 'Xir
10-24-2002, 02:45 AM
I was over in the EpIII threads, and this great idea just hit me! What if instead of having the battle droids from EpI, Lucas had used legions and legions of IG-88's!!!!! or IG-whatevers. I mean think about it! IG-88 was built as a Mercenary(fighting/battle) Droid. Also, all the battle droids in EpI had numbers on there back's like 1138, so there would be an IG-1138 and IG-88 and an IG-747. Also they would have looked somewhat similar in stlye to the droidekas. Also it would explain or lend a twist to IG-88's appearence in 'Empire' and general existence in the SW Universe!
Whadda'ya Think?

Rogue II
10-24-2002, 08:25 AM
According to the books, IG-88 (A/B/C/D) are built as assassin droids for the Empire. There is a IG-79(?) which is seen in ESB when Chewbacca finds C-3PO in the junkpile. This one was supposedly a prototype or early model for the IG-88.

Of course, nothing has never hindered Uncle George from destroying EU before.

I think there are enough links between the Prequels and the Classic trilogys. The Battle Droids are fine with me. I also like the idea of the Empire spending money on developing weapons like IG-88. I will admit that it would be cool to see an army of IG-88s marching.

scruffziller
10-24-2002, 08:45 AM
DUDE THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!!!!!!!!

Pendo
10-24-2002, 09:31 AM
Yeah, it would be cool. But wouldn't follow the EU stories.

Well I don't care because I don't follow the Eu, but to alot of fans the Eu is just as important as the movies so I don't think it should have been done. It still would have been cool to see though, and I bet they're alot tougher to defeat than 'old dangle weeds' (as Spielberg puts it :D).

PENDO!

Beast
10-24-2002, 10:31 AM
One of the droids from the IG series does appear in the prequel area of EU. In the novel "Rogue Planet", one of the droids is in an illegal weapons type of museum that Captain (I believe he was a captain) Tarkin has onboard his ship.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Battle Droids are much COOLER than IG's! :cool:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-24-2002, 06:30 PM
I like battle droids a lot more than IG droids.

187-Maul
10-25-2002, 05:02 PM
how can an IG-unit be so smart if their heads are used as beverage dispensers in some cantina on tatooine?:p

seriously, the IG's look cool but I think Battle Droids fit better to the PT
although seeing an IG unit in action would be nice, especially if they have a jet-pack (like IG-88 has in the SOTE game)

mini-rock
10-26-2002, 02:09 AM
The Battledroids were just plain weak and easy to beat. I would've hated to see IG-88 portrayed the same way.

stillakid
10-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
The Battledroids were just plain weak and easy to beat. I would've hated to see IG-88 portrayed the same way.

Jango Fett was portrayed that way (in my opinion). So why not blow away two images of fierce bounty hunters in one fell swoop?

mini-rock
10-27-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Jango Fett was portrayed that way (in my opinion).

Really? Jango held his own (pretty much) against Obi-Wan, and even killed himself a Jedi Master. I fail to see how Jango is portrayed weak & easy to beat. Could you elaborate a bit as to why you think so?

Beast
10-27-2002, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I don't get it either. Atleast Jango Fett didn't get killed by a blind man, like his "son" did. He got taken out by one of the most powerful Jedi Masters, after getting trampled by the Reek and having his Jetpack damaged. Hardly a weak and easy to beat person. It's not like he got accidentally cracked in his Jetpack by ole blind Han Solo, igniting his Jetpack and making him fly into the side of the Sailbarge and then fall into the Sarlaac's mouth. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
10-27-2002, 10:07 AM

Really? Jango held his own (pretty much) against Obi-Wan, and even killed himself a Jedi Master. I fail to see how Jango is portrayed weak & easy to beat. Could you elaborate a bit as to why you think so?

I personally felt that the specific circumstances in the moments leading up to his death were inconsistent with actions that a fierce and cunning and deadly bounty hunter would do. Had Mace used super-Jedi-Speed attack, that might be one thing, however Jango just kinda stands there waiting for his head to be detached.

In regards to his two other on-screen battles, the killing of the Jedi on the balcony isn't much proof of him being a strong fighter. It's more like he was in the right place at the right time and he took advantage of the Jedi not being entirely aware of his presence. Not proof of weakness, for sure, but not proof of strength either.

His best battle sequence, indeed, was on Kamino. He did manage to hold his own, however only with the aid of his jetpack and especially with cover fire from his son. Without those, that battle would have ended to Obi Wan's advantage far sooner. As it was, he just barely escaped because a) he lost most of his Bat-tools and b) Obi Wan had to run through the interior of the complex giving The Swiss Family Fett time to escape.

If there is any really good example that would illustrate his strength, it's his skill as a pilot. His ability to maneuver through the asteroid field whilst tailing another ship and attack it was considerable.

But, as always, that's just my opinion. :)

mini-rock
10-27-2002, 02:05 PM
I understand what you're sayin stilla. But at the same time I think it's unfair to put Jango in the same catagory as a Battledroid. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon must have sliced & diced 30 or 40 between the two of them, but it took 3 Jedi to kill Jango. Regardless if Jango was "in the right place at the right time" he still took out a Jedi Master. Coleman had plenty of time for a Jedi Master to react, but Jango was just too fast and displayed his skill with his guns. Maybe he did rely on his jetpack and gear too much, but is that any different than a Jedi relying on his lightsaber or the force?

The Overlord Returns
11-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Besides....you can clearly see Jango attempting to utilize his back pack when mace slices his noggin off. Clearly, he was unaware of its mechanical failure, and realized too late... ;)

so, the "He just stood there" title still belongs firmly in the hands of ..... Darth Maul ;)

stillakid
11-04-2002, 03:48 PM
I understand what you're sayin stilla. But at the same time I think it's unfair to put Jango in the same catagory as a Battledroid. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon must have sliced & diced 30 or 40 between the two of them, but it took 3 Jedi to kill Jango. Regardless if Jango was "in the right place at the right time" he still took out a Jedi Master. Coleman had plenty of time for a Jedi Master to react, but Jango was just too fast and displayed his skill with his guns. Maybe he did rely on his jetpack and gear too much, but is that any different than a Jedi relying on his lightsaber or the force?

I never went as far as placing Jango in the same toybox as Battle Droids. Those things are clearly unimpressive technology, as I believe is the intention by GL.

But I really expected to see more from Jango. Now, having said that, the new IMAX cut of the Kamino battle really helps his case as they cut the shot of lil' Boba helping out his dear ol' dad by firing the Slave I weapons. The IMAX cut now really is Jango's fight all the way, Bat-tools or not. He shows that he can hold his own...for a while anyway.

But, having said that, I think George and Co. did Jango a disservice by having the Beast attack him in the Arena. In the Kamino case, they had diminished his potential by having lil' Boba help him out. In the same way, the beast attack on Geonosis gave Mace the upperhand without any effort. What it boils down to is that we didn't see a fair fight between Mace and Jango and there really didn't seem to be any reason for setting it up like that.

I'll stick to my guns though on the balcony killing. Having just seen the IMAX cut, I paid close attention to the timing of that sequence because of this discussion. That Jedi Master jumped up and had very little time to register that Dooku was right there much less anyone else. I'd be more inclined to suggest that that Jedi Master wasn't up to snuff more than give extra credit to Jango for being a fantastic warrior. Jango's reaction was as quick as anyone's would have been in the situation. He killed a "Jedi Master" out of sheer opportunity and luck of the draw.

:)

scruffziller
11-18-2002, 10:52 AM
I would like to see some more familiarity elements come to EPS 3 from the OT. IG droids would be cool but they really had nothing to do with the Empire or Trade Federation that I can remember.

Darth Sidious
11-19-2002, 06:47 PM
I think Jango kicked arse, but I don't want to get into that now. As for the IG thing, it would truly be a disgrace to make IG series droids into common footsoldroids. (<<<I made that up :D) IG-88, and the rest of the IG series were cool because they were UNIQUE. They weren't something you would come across every day, and lets put it this way-If there was an army of IGs, and they were all at least as good as IG-88, it would be a complete massacre. They would also be too independant, unless they were programmed differently. Personally, I don't want to see Clonetroopers destroying IGs.

Jargo
05-03-2003, 07:42 PM
The battle droids behave in a very odd way, there's a stupidness to the look of the battle droid that undermines the battle imagery. The facelessness of the IG droids would have given a bigger feeling of threat like the red eyed Terminator robots had with their skull like faces. The battle droids are cartoony in appearance and nature. IG droids would perhaps have appeared more threatening and perhaps given TPM a real sense of danger and suspense that it is missing currently. In fact this has inspired me to build a small crack team of IG droids in my toy collection. Yes, a squad of IG droids would be cool. Thanks for the idea. :)

stillakid
05-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The battle droids behave in a very odd way, there's a stupidness to the look of the battle droid that undermines the battle imagery. The facelessness of the IG droids would have given a bigger feeling of threat like the red eyed Terminator robots had with their skull like faces. The battle droids are cartoony in appearance and nature. IG droids would perhaps have appeared more threatening and perhaps given TPM a real sense of danger and suspense that it is missing currently. In fact this has inspired me to build a small crack team of IG droids in my toy collection. Yes, a squad of IG droids would be cool. Thanks for the idea. :)

EU be-damned. I love the idea of IG-88's over Battle Droids. For one thing, they'd provide a far better visual link between the trilogies. For another, they look far more sinister and not so cartoony as the Battle Droids. (But judging from what we've seen of the Prequels so far, I think that "cartoony" is what George is going for, at least relative to the superior "real" feeling he produced with the Original Trilogy.)

Although, in order to pull that off, the stupid idea of having the Fett Family in the Prequels would have to go. To successfully put IG-88's into the films, the Fett armor would have to come from the Mandalorian's as original conceived.

Too bad though. An IG-88 army would have been ultra-cool.:cool:

scruffziller
05-04-2003, 10:54 AM
The facelessness of the IG droids would have given a bigger feeling of threat like the red eyed Terminator robots had with their skull like faces.

I disagree, personally. I think the lack of the face made IG-88 look scarier. As a matter of fact I remember being frightened somewhat of him when ESB was out. Oh, and the sounds he makes in Shadows of the Empire game.........:( :dead: cree-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-eepy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get chills up my spine thinking about.

Darth Jax
05-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Ig-88 was capable of individual thought as evidenced by his work as a bounty hunter. the battle droids were slaved to a central controlling computer, thus incapable of independent thought or action. it was this lack of ability to adjust to the situation that showed why human warriors (even clones) are superior to a equal sized army of droids.

besides slaving ig-88 to a computer, while looking cool for the movie, would rob the character of what makes it interesting.

i think the battle droids fit perfectly with the streamlined/polished look of everything presented in the prequel movies thus far. imagine what some of your favorite vehicles from the OT would look like if originally conceived of in the PT. the boxiness of the falcon would be gone and replaced by a totally rounded, sleek and shiny body-style. then how does leia sound saying 'you came in that, you're braver than i thought' on the death star.

The 'Xir
05-15-2003, 02:42 AM
Good point Jax, but I was just going for their use in the films, If IG's were actually used, I'm sure another storyline would or could have ben created to coincide with what your saying, instead of the whole slave droid concept!!! No matter how they were used though the same or original idea of droids or technology being less useful then humans could stll have been presented just in their simple failure or losing of the war! Like I said, they just would have looked much cooler, more menacing and bridged that gap a little more between the prequels and OT!!!
They could have been Federation owned too, because of the similar "look" between the double-hand cannons of the Droidekas and the double hand rifles of the IG's. These two droid models defininetly have some similarites!! Just have a very structured or mechanical look about 'em!

Jargo
05-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Personally i'm missing the Y-wing in the prequels. It's an old old ship by the time of the OT, the rebels are using technically beat up abandoned craft that they salvaged and re-equipped. It's been established that they left off the hull plates which is why all the cables show on the fuselage (how'd they deal with re-entry?) but i wanted to see the Y-wing with all the hull plates intact being used in the prequels. The drawing in the OT incredible cross sections book makes it look sleek and quite cool. That would have helped bridge the trilogies too. But rather than use common sense and hte information from their own website databases they had to go and invent brand new vehicles every time just to be different and make out that they're innovative and creative. It's not creative to keep slapping new stuff into a story, it's creative to utilise what you already have and make some sense of it that enriches the story already told.

As far as the IG droids go scruffziller says he disagrees with me but then goes and agrees with me. :p

Having the IG droids slaved to the trade fed ships wouldn't interfere with the OT version of events. There's nothing in the movie to suggest that IG-88 wasn't slaved to one of the other Bounty hunters ships. It's only the EU that says IG-88 attained independent thought. It's possible in the twenty odd years between the clone wars and the OT that IG-88 was refitted with extra equipment that allowed him to bahave as an assasin. A rescued scrapped automaton battle droid turned into a killing machine with a demon heart and a mind of it's own. Or should I say that's how I would have done it.

mini-rock
05-15-2003, 10:26 AM
While I think it would have been cool to see the IG droids in the prequels as the Trade Federation's army, I like the way it stands now, and don't think it was needed. Not EVERY character needs a back story IMO. It's nice to see new and exciting characters (and ships) made instead of going with the same-o. Adding the IG's wouldn't bridge the gap any more, and neither would adding the Y-Wing, since there is still 17 years between EP3 and ANH, and alot of **** can happen in that time.:)

Jargo
05-15-2003, 02:49 PM
My point was that the Y-wings are a really old vessel by the time ANH rolls around in the time frame. The XP-34 landspeeder Luke uses was around in TPM and pretty old then too. So Y-wings should have been around too because they are at least as old or even older. it would be reasonable to expect to see some of the older vehicles used as new or nearly new in the PT. Rather than yet more whimsical Le Mans styled speeders. The Y-wings just look fantastic with hull platings intact. Better than the poxy N1 starfighter crud. Better than the poxy Jedi 'cheeseslab' starfighter.
Y-wings rock the casbah!
Battle droids suck IG droids kick arse! The prequels are weak and feeble. The OT rules. end of discussion. :happy:

Jargo
05-15-2003, 02:52 PM
YES!

mini-rock
05-15-2003, 04:11 PM
YEEEESH!! No wonder the Y-Wing isn't in the Prequels. I forgot how fugly it is until I saw that pick. Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't included in the prequels so far. That was a wise decision by GL to keep all the crap in the OT and all the cool stuff in the prequels. If it does show up in EP3 I'm sure GL will have ILM improve the design a bit, and then perhaps he can keep the improvements in the AE's of the OT when released. That pic is a perfect example of why the OT needs some serious help. :p

IMHO of course - MR

Darkross
05-22-2003, 11:04 AM
YEEEESH!! No wonder the Y-Wing isn't in the Prequels. I forgot how fugly it is until I saw that pick. Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't included in the prequels so far. That was a wise decision by GL to keep all the crap in the OT and all the cool stuff in the prequels. If it does show up in EP3 I'm sure GL will have ILM improve the design a bit, and then perhaps he can keep the improvements in the AE's of the OT when released. That pic is a perfect example of why the OT needs some serious help. :p

IMHO of course - MR

Well...at least the OT have unique vehicles. Every fricking vehicle that Padme uses is chrome and they all look the same. BOOORRRINNG! I especially hate the Droid Control Ships...Donuts with Timbit cores...and the Naboo Starfighters...what the??? is it. I laugh everytime I watch the behind the scenes web documentaries for Episode I...where they say that a ship's design has to make sense and you don't want people to have to guess which is the front / back. The Naboo starfighter is a classic example of a ship that looks like it's backwards. Now the X-Wing...there's a cool ship! And yes... the X-Wing and 3 Tie Fighters along with 3 Millenium Falcons appear in AOTC.

During the OT...alot of ships were of the industrial age...not alot of sleekness to them. Most ships (especially Imperial Ships) had to be built quickly and lots of them. The Republic Assault Ships seen at the end of AOTC is evident of this. I agree with Emperor Jargo...the OT rules...and I would love to see the Y-Wing in Episode III.

stillakid
05-22-2003, 12:47 PM
My point was that the Y-wings are a really old vessel by the time ANH rolls around in the time frame. The XP-34 landspeeder Luke uses was around in TPM and pretty old then too. So Y-wings should have been around too because they are at least as old or even older. it would be reasonable to expect to see some of the older vehicles used as new or nearly new in the PT. Rather than yet more whimsical Le Mans styled speeders. The Y-wings just look fantastic with hull platings intact. Better than the poxy N1 starfighter crud. Better than the poxy Jedi 'cheeseslab' starfighter.
Y-wings rock the casbah!
Battle droids suck IG droids kick arse! The prequels are weak and feeble. The OT rules. end of discussion. :happy:

I agree. Timeline wise you make a good point. Technically the Y-Wing should start showing up by Episode III (presumably). Plus, design-wise, it has a certain "sleekness" about it that could be "left-over" from the form-over-function era in the Prequels, yet has that definite "built-for-war" element as well.

Dar Basra
05-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Every fricking vehicle that Padme uses is chrome and they all look the same. Sort of the way all SUV's in America look the same? The point is that all the ships you've been seeing in the prequels are, for the most part, the ships of one planet - Naboo, so of course they will all look similar. Don't you think the galaxy is big enough that there is some planetary system out there, maybe beyond the Outer Rim, where the Y-Wing is the bread-and-butter fighter? But unless EPIII is going to have a scene at a galactic-wide used spaceship dealership, that hardly means we're likely to see the Y-Wing, and from a logical point of view, I'm fine with that. I mean, really, how many different fighter style starships were in the prequels: Naboo, Trade Fed., Jango's, Obi's, Clone ships and Geonosian's? That's hardly a represenative sampling of what the galaxy can offer in the way of ship styles. And think about it - is a rebel force likely to be getting their fighters from Coruscant or some other dealer in the center of the Empire? No. They're going to be paying bottom dollar for some moth-balled fleet in the middle of a desolate star-system that hasn't had anything worth going to war over in decades. Heck, during the time of the prequels, the Y-Wing is probably already obsolete. So why would it need to show up in EpIII?

AndyW
06-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Starship and technology design totally and utterly facinates me, and imho, the Star wars saga (thats OT and PT together folks;) ) is up there with the best of them. I love star trek and the ships it has given us, but its never had the back story that ST wars ship design has.
All the different fleet yards and contractors, the links between the Jedi Aethersprite fighters (which for what its worth I think is a lovely simple design) and the larger starships and all the stories I'm just now touching on in the copy of the guide to vessels and vehicles I find really interesting.

I'd been daydreaming recently about seeing Y-wings in Ep3, but I decided I would prefer to see the Victory class star destroyer, which we know was concieved in the last years of the Republic and I just think it would be cool to see them as escorts to the Acclamators, which aren't exactly cut out for space battles imho.

Anyway, slightly off topic there, sorry :D

gibbyhayes
06-17-2003, 03:11 PM
IG's don't bend. so they can't be packed into MTTs.

scruffziller
10-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Well it seems to be happening to a certain degree. In THE CLONE WARS shorts there are IG units being used for battle so we might see them in EPS 3.

Turambar
10-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I guess there would be a storage problem with the big clunky IGs compared to the fragile but flexible Battle Droids. It would have been cool to see, and made it a lot more frightening. However, that just wouldn't have fit in with the light-hearted cheesiness that E1 projected. Not to mention they would have massacred the gungans, and might have taken out Qui-Gon & Obi, too.
The SBDs were a little more scary in their size and determination. Maybe IGs would fit nicely into the supposed "darkness" of E3.

scruffziller
10-29-2003, 01:27 PM
The SBDs were a little more scary in their size and determination. Maybe IGs would fit nicely into the supposed "darkness" of E3.
It would be excellent becaue I think E3 should look visually more like the OT.
And with these clone shorts in using IG units, hopefully that will be the case.