PDA

View Full Version : Death Star Compactor Sets Boxed

SirSteve
10-24-2002, 11:16 AM
Just added pictures! Check them out HERE (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=553) !

icatch9
10-24-2002, 11:22 AM
Very Cool. Hope they are cheap enough to buy two of each :D.

Looks like they used the "buck toothed" head sculpt of Luke from the POTJ X Wing figure. Even so, the sets are awsome!!

Lord Tenebrous
10-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Galactic Hunter lists "Saga Scene Packs $44.95"

If this is for three sets (Luke/Han, Leia/Chewie, and Obi/Jango), then it comes out to about $15 each. If there's four to the selection, it's $11, but if this is only for the Trash Compactor sets, then you're looking at $22 each.

I'm willing to invest $15 each, as I feel these are certainly more attractive than the 25th 2-packs. :)

aceguide
10-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Can't wait. These look fantastic.

Beast
10-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Ok those have official went from cool as hell, to damn drooltastic. Anything that looks that good packaged, will look a thousand times better loose on my shelf. There are massive improvements over the prototypes that we saw recently. Which is hard to do, because those were awesome as hell. Damn, I may have to buy 2 of each myself. Curse you Hasbro for making somthing so cool. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
10-24-2002, 12:31 PM
I like the way these look, but are the figgies removable or are the glued in for good? I'm still deciding on whether I will get these or not. I probably will, though.

Beast
10-24-2002, 12:39 PM
The figures are supposed to be removable, they just fit into holes in the bases. The dianoga according to the back of the box also is removable from the diorama. It comes in two parts, 1 is packed in with each section of the diorama. The long tentacle comes with the Luke/Han set. And the main body w/ eyestalk comes with the Leia/Chewie set. It just keeps getting cooler. :cool: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
10-24-2002, 01:26 PM
More pictures just added to the collector's database!

Jargo
10-24-2002, 02:03 PM
The eyestalk - oh my god the eyestalk is brilliant! :D these sets are beautiful. I have to have them, plain and simple. I'm off to put a pre-order in now...

hango fett
10-24-2002, 02:03 PM
very cool! are they due out this year or next year??? i know they are wally worlsd exclusives, but thats abotu it...
h

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-24-2002, 02:08 PM
Sweet, I am so getting those!

sith_killer_99
10-24-2002, 02:11 PM
I didn't see helmets for Luke or Han. And I hate the "wet hair look".

The rest looks good. I fear we shall never see a good, CARDED, Han Stormtrooper.

I do hope these are better than the 25th Anniversary statues. The base looks great, I hope they do a good job with making the figs removable. It dosen't do any good to make them removable if they can't stand when you take them out.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I will reserve my judgement for when I have these in hand.;)

Rogue II
10-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The eyestalk - oh my god the eyestalk is brilliant! :D these sets are beautiful. I have to have them, plain and simple. I'm off to put a pre-order in now...

Well, that is one beast off of the list you posted in the Dear Hasbro section.

I can't wait to get these. I am trying to stick to my "classic trilogy only" collection, so the only thing I've bought in the past 2 months has been the Deluxe C-3PO. That's movie years for ya. Looks like I'll be doing some big spending next year.

I'm almost going thru Star Wars withdrawls from my lack of new figures in my collection. It was real bad last weekend. My wife and I went into Toys R Us and they had the Arena, gunship, 12" Luke, and every new figure...excpet for Ephant Mon and Endor Soldier(no goatee). My wife ended up buying the Padme pilot. It was torture!

Jargo
10-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Well technically they gave us all we ever see of the Dianoga but i still want a full quishy version like Teryl Whitlatch illustrated in the wildlife of star wars book. But this is really really nice. So much detail.. I hope the dianoga is removable too. If these show up in the quantities the 25th anniversary sets did then i might buy two sets and customise the Dianoga. God knows what I'd do with the other figures, the stormtrooper bodies are good for customising but leia and Chewie would probably go to my nephew.
Even my partner thought these were cool which is rare. Usually all i get is a grunt when i show the new stuff. I'm actually starting to like the toys more and more lately exept for the gimmicks. I'm warming to certain one pose wonder figures. I just hate the firing gimmicks and accessory dropping gimmicks that make a figure useless for anything but that specific action. IIf hasbro did away with those features and just let the sculpting do the selling....

Beast
10-24-2002, 03:38 PM
The box back makes it look like the Dianoga is removable, Jargo. I hope so, that is kick arse. I wish that they came with helmets, but I guess I'll buy an extra Target Death Star Accessory set so that I can have another spare Stormtrooper helmet for them. I hope that the Jango/Obi-Wan set looks as good as these two do. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Hot damn! These are AWESOME!!!!!!!! The cardboard walls are great. The dianoga is so frickin sweet, I can't bear it! Hopefully the figures can be removed, and normal Chewies and Lukes can be put in there for scenes that don't have Chewie pushing and Luke wet (even though the old Luke is atrocious!). C'mon already release these!!!!!!!!!!

corporal AMF
10-24-2002, 04:37 PM
These are the best sets in years........very good idea, the dianoga is excellent and the size of chewie and leia are the correct ones.........

Really hope to find them soon

Darth Trymybestus
10-24-2002, 04:40 PM
wow, those are very cool! I love the saga line actually, I think the sculpts have been awesome & I think it's awesome that we're getting Dioramas now :)
I definitely want the Jango Fett vs Obi Wan Kenobi one... what do we know about this then? I've not heard about it... Jar Jar Binks, have you heard anything about it? :)
I wonder if Obi Wan would have the wet look

Beast
10-24-2002, 04:45 PM
It's supposed to be Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jango Fett facing off on the Kamino landing pad. We don't know much more then that, but expect the figures to look like they are out in the rain. And the base to be a similar to the one from the Jango Fett Unleashed figure, that looks like rain is hitting it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
10-24-2002, 04:53 PM
that sounds sooooo cool! there are so many other diorama's I would love!
I have a few idea's for Dioramas:
Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader on the Death Star II.. Vader on the floor minus his hand and Luke with the lightsaber pointing at Vader.
Luke vs Vader in Bespin (although we kinda have that)
and maybe a Luke vs Vader in the evil tree on Dagobah. :)

Rogue II
10-24-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
that sounds sooooo cool! there are so many other diorama's I would love!
I have a few idea's for Dioramas:
Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader on the Death Star II.. Vader on the floor minus his hand and Luke with the lightsaber pointing at Vader.
Luke vs Vader in Bespin (although we kinda have that)
and maybe a Luke vs Vader in the evil tree on Dagobah. :)

We have a whole thread of screen scene (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14840) ideas. Check them out.

Darth Trymybestus
10-24-2002, 05:23 PM
wow, some of those are great ideas, I wonder if Hasbro looks at stuff like the Dear Hasbro Forums?
Because we've all been crying out for a Jedi Luke and we're getting one :)

Jargo
10-24-2002, 06:10 PM
It's funny, when the pictures showed a while back on the Hasbro site I completely missed the Dianoga eyestalk. I checked and it's definately there but because it's painted dirty brown not creamy white like the movie version it just looked like another piece of junk in the base. Oh how foolish I feel for missing that! :) I was going to buy it anyway but the eyestalk makes it a must have for me. That bandolier looks more amd more like it's removable if you look at the photo on the box side. there's a definate gap underneath the strap. I might be wishful thinking but i can hope.

Hope they do jango flying. That'd be splendid. All these Jango resculpts and not one is any good for that. plenty are good for a fist fight but none are any good for being posed in flight. Is it even confirmed? I know the 25th sets came in a set of three but does that mean the screen scenes - which are technically the same sort of thing - will also come in a set of three? And hasbro is being very quiet about all of these items showing up. Wonder what they have to say about it all.

JEDIpartner
10-24-2002, 06:14 PM
I read that it was going to be the Kamino battle as well. The more piccies I see of these sets, the more I am convinced I should be buying them. I, too, would like to see a good "flying" Jango... perhaps along the lines of when he was flying up toward the tower and firing back at Obi-Wan.

Jargo
10-24-2002, 06:23 PM
That's what i was thinking too. The base would be the platform with the bottom of the tower in one corner. A clear rod to hold Jango suspended in flight and cool little flame effects coming from his jet pack. He would be aiming his pistols at Obi and obi would be crouched in a defensive stance with a blast zinging off his saber. A nice glossy effect on the base so it looks wet. Wopuldn't really need more than that would you?

JEDIpartner
10-24-2002, 06:41 PM
That would be PERFECT!!! :happy:

Beast
10-24-2002, 06:47 PM
I agree, that would be perfect. You listening to this, Hasbro? Don't make us all head your direction with pitchforks and torches if you mess this up. Frankly I would prefer a Jango Fett in his Kamino Apartment Jammies, instead of another armored Fett. But it doesn't look like that is in the cards. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Sidious
10-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Those sets are absolutely fantastic. From what I've seen they appear almost as good as the Gunship. Not quite, but close. I'll definitely be getting these. Great job Hasbro, keep up the teriffic work. I liked the later half of the Saga line before, now this just tops it off. Bravo, Hasbro, bravo. :)

Old Fossil
10-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Good sculpt, yes, but that ain't so hard for a toymaker to do these days. Thing is, I prefer action figures to screen scenes such as this. The Han looks cool, but the others I can probably live without. It's the same problem I had with some of the Cinema Scene 3-packs: too many one-pose wonders. Not all of them fit that category (the Cantina Aliens, Rebel Pilots, and Skiff Guards were fantastic, neutrally-posed figures), but most of them were. This is just more of the same, only better sculpts and packaging. The dianoga and the interchangeable bases are definite pluses with this set.

I guess I'll have to wait till I see 'em in person, too...

QLD
10-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Me likey! Very much! Will buy! Yes indeed-ee!

bigbarada
10-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Well, there go the chances of ever seeing a proper, carded Han Stormtrooper with A REMOVABLE HELMET!!! Scratch one more figure off of my wish list and make another addition to the "Childhood dreams dashed by Hasbro" list.:mad:

Other than that: another Chewie, ANH Leia and Stormtrooper Luke......yippee.:rolleyes:

Wolfwood319
10-25-2002, 12:09 AM
I'm really liking these Screen Scene sets. They're what the Cinema 3-packs should've been. It is supposed to be a specific scene, not 3 randomly assorted figures. (Not that I had a problem with the old cinema scenes.)

I'd love a Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Maul duel, a cool endor bunker scene, and a Geonosis battle scene, (amongst other cool scenes.)

JediTricks
10-25-2002, 05:24 AM
I like these 2 sets, the pics have really sold me on 'em... which means my area won't get anywhere near enough of 'em. Man I hate exclusives!!! These 2 sets put most of the cinema scene 3packs to major shame.

I still weep for real walls, but this will do for now.

187-Maul
10-25-2002, 11:16 AM
I'll probably just get the han/luke set cause the other one is kinda boring IMO and I don't need another chewbacca (although he does look cool)
it would've been better of the hole diagona was included with luke since I kinda want that eye:p
I didn't read all the responses to this thread too clearly but did anyone notice that on the loose chewie/leia pic that was shown by hasbro you can already see the eye of the dianoga sticking out of the dirt (it's left to leia and a bit more in front)

SplFrcsCWO
10-25-2002, 03:42 PM
This is a must have set! The Death Star trash compactor is just too small to fit all the figs.

AmanaMatt
10-25-2002, 04:11 PM
These sets are awsome; the diagona looks way better than I thought it would, and it sure seems that Chewie may have a separate bandolier strap, though still a little hard to judge.

One thing: anyone notice how the little thingee that goes on the very backside of the Stormie belt is missing off of Han (and Luke)?

This is not a big deal at all, but its the little cylinder thing that goes on the back of the utility belt- have no idea what its supposed to be, but we got it on the sculpts for the Commtech Stormie and POTJ Sandtrooper; looks like I'll be doing some small customizing. This is more of an observation than complaint. Wonder what's with that?

SirSteve
10-25-2002, 06:39 PM
This set is actually something I am looking forward to! Something original for a change instead of all the rehashes!

hango fett
10-25-2002, 06:45 PM
tell m about it! they just keep re-doing everything...soon they will run out of stuff to re-do!
h

Beast
10-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
This set is actually something I am looking forward to! Something original for a change instead of all the rehashes!
Well, not to play devil's advocate or anything. But isn't the entire set rehashes, because they are all resculpts of figures that have already been made? Sure, the set is awesome and all, but it's not like we don't already have figures of all four of those. Quite a few in the case of Leia and Chewie. *Awaits to be thrown into the Thunderdome cage for saying this.* ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Amanamatt, I saw this now too. If you look at the back of TK-421 (on the left) before he goes into the Falcon, he is missing the cylinder (which is a thermal detonator) and Luke wears this costume and thus has has no detonator. Han, I'm unsure about, but it doesn't detract too much from the greatness of the set. :)

Jargo
10-25-2002, 07:23 PM
If you check out the Endor Stormtroopers in Jedi they don't all have the holster attached to their belts so the uniform isn't really uniform at all if you follow my drift. Some have the utilities and some don't. it isn't necessarily a mistake for the stormtroopers to be missing them. Maybe new recruits aren't trusted enough to carry one of those detonators around. They pack a mean punch and you wouldn't want a rookie handling them. That's just a supposition but it makes sense to me. :)

AmanaMatt
10-25-2002, 07:28 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll check it out. I had no idea those are supposed to be detenators. No wonder they never sit down in the movies.

Vortex
10-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Just want to confirm what Jar-Jar was saying earlier on the 1st page, and what you see in the photos.

I just got my Tomart's Action Figure Digest #104 (November) and they have a full 2 page shot of the trash compactor scene.

They say the figures are removable (you can see the shadow and outline of luke's foot in the amber transparent base), and if this photo is the actually product and not the proto-type or paint model the figures look slightly modified. Luke actually has dimentional garbage on his armor, his hair, although not slicked back, still has a wet look to it. He has his eyes closed and looks like he's choking. Mouth open with a view of the teeth and tongue. Han has some/little dimensional trash on him also. His hair also looks more 70's feathery than some of the other figs. The tenticle is really long but looks really detailed. The eye stalk is about up to leia's waist. I don't know if these come out but I would assume that they do if the other figs come out.
Leia isn't anything to write home about. In this photo she looks like she has red lipstick on. Chewie looks pretty good, but his bag is two tone. Brown and Black and sort of looks like indy jone's bag. But it looks pretty cool.

If you're at a book store turn to pg. 32 and 33 and check it out yourself.

This issue also has a star wars price guide from Ep I up to the current releases (Mon to the Star Tour figs)

187-Maul
10-31-2002, 10:01 AM
do you have a digital cam tjovonovich? if so, could you take a photo of the two pages? or can you scan them? I live in europe so I have no access to the magazine

Vortex
10-31-2002, 10:32 AM
I wish I could, but I don't have a digital camera, nor do I have a scanner. So I can't help out too much.

go to http://www.tomart.com/ Luke and Han are on the cover, but they haven't updated the website yet but give it a day or two and I'm sure they'll have the new nov. cover posted.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 09:12 AM
Chewie looks great...buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut--

Leia looks like she's being played by Daria Morgendorfer's friend, Jane (it's the mouth).

Han's face looks a little stretched out and he's got some pretty shaggy hair!

Lastly... I hope they use that Luke head on about a hundred figures. That HAS to be the most hysterical thing I have ever seen in my life!!!

...I've seen the close-ups... "Very Scaaaaaaaary!"

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Jane as Leia (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/saga/screen_scene/death_star_trash_compactor_(leia_and_chewie)/deathstar_leia_head.jpg)

David Schwimmer as Han (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/saga/screen_scene/death_star_trash_compactor_(luke_and_han)/deathstar_han_head.jpg)

Clint Howard as Luke (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/saga/screen_scene/death_star_trash_compactor_(luke_and_han)/deathstar_luke_head.jpg)

These should provide HOURS of laughs! :crazed:

gibbspaulus
11-01-2002, 09:44 AM
I so get the Jane comment.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 10:10 AM
I figured you would!

Jargo
11-01-2002, 10:31 AM
I like them. Luke isn't the best head ever han and Leia are satisfactory. The dianoga is so frickin' cool I'm almost lost for words. The obvious nod to the vintage version is there but with enough detail to keep it from being completely retro. I still think a larger fatter squishy version could be sold in the deluxe line but this more than exceeds expectations. The bases are cool, The poses are cool. I love these sets too much. I even like how the armor has the poopy stuff stuck to it. Chewie is my one disappointment with his lack of articulation and lack of removable bandolier. One wookie hasbro - just one with a removable bandolier please...
The packaging seems more than adequate to me. Could they have stripped away any more box? The boxes look like mini goldfish tanks. There's been a lot of effort put into this pair of sets and I hope the rest of the screen scene sets turn out this good.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 10:57 AM
I still think the sets are good, but the heads just crack me up seriously!

To me... these are on par with the 25th Anniversary Sets (which I keep in the boxes. The only thing with these is... I'll have to open them up to get that dianoga out!!!

The Overlord Returns
11-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Well, not to play devil's advocate or anything. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

heheheheh......

"Marge, may I play Devils Advocate for a moment?"

got that bit kills me everytime..........

anyhoo.....

These things look increds. Going to have to pick this little centrepiece up for my cofeetable....and it's array of cofee table books...about....coffeetables....;)

Jargo
11-01-2002, 01:15 PM
I've been sat here looking at Luke and have to say that is one ugly head sculpt. I'm afraid i'll be slicing that head off at the collar and swapping it for the head from the Luke that came in the board game. maybe the face on this new accurately depicts Luke's agony but it sure is ugly. I don't think i could live with that. Gotta go. I'll use the new head for a dead stormtrooper or something, trim the hair at the back and repaint it. maybe the head would work for a shot Imperial officer. I dunno it's just a bad head sculpt. The mouth kills it. Can't look at that mouth without thinking of....... Not a pleasant thought. :eek:

but that Dianoga is something else. "special, so special..." :happy:

Rogue II
11-01-2002, 01:30 PM
Are these the final versions or just prototypes? They look like they are made out of wax.

Jargo
11-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Look pretty final to me. maybe preview samples or something. They look OK, maybe the paint applications will be a little less applied, maybe Luke's hair will be a different color. The paint is applied in regular hasbro fashion though, slightly off in certain places. If this was hardcopy painted versions the paint would be spot on and brushed on. This is sprayed on and tampo stamped by the looks of it. I could be wrong though.

I believe that hasbro has some kind of do to show off the new products sometime soon, saw a report at the private universe where a retailer was muttering something about a trade event. I assume that these sets are the ones that will be shown off there, first off the production line sort of thing. Test samples. Once the main bulk goes into production that's where all the paint misfires appear, eyes halfway up forheads and the likes.
I noticed that the long pole Leia holds doesn't have a paint application on the places where it should be silver, y'know the bits she grabs in the movie that are just bubble wrap sprayed silver? She grabs them and they squish in her grip and you vcan see the paint come off on her hands if you watch on a big enough screen :) That low budget low tech approach.....
What strikes me as so odd is that for those who display boxed, they'll never really see the Dianoga whole. It's all hidden under the bases. Those of us who open will get the full effect. :)

Rogue II
11-01-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
What strikes me as so odd is that for those who display boxed, they'll never really see the Dianoga whole. It's all hidden under the bases. Those of us who open will get the full effect. :)

Good point. I have nothing against carded collectors, but I could never do it. I find the pictures of those massive carded collections impressive. The biggest downside to that type of collection is that they have all those toys and can't play with them.

I wonder if this will be a new trend with Hasbro...You only get a part of the toy per set. First, we have the Cantina Bar Sets, now the Dianoga is split between the the 2 sets. You have to admit, it is a heck of a good marketing scheme. It works out well for us too since we are getting cooler toys out of the deal.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 02:35 PM
There is nothing NOT cool about that dianoga!

Jargo
11-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Been looking at the Dianoga in detail and forgive me if I'm gravely mistaken but the Dianoga appears to have magnets to hold it joined together. Look at the pics of the close up pics of the two halves and both have flat surfaces with nothing to actually link the two. The only way they could have it join like that is to have it done through magnets. Otherwise for any kids buying the sets the pieces will fall apart and annoy the hell out of them. I can't be 100% sure but it does appear that there's a little bump where a magnet might stick out slightly on the lower half. The pic of the top half is too dark to tell. What isn't apparent either is if all the tentacles are bendy like the big long one. It's not such a drawback if they aren't but it would make this thing so cool my head will explode! :crazed:

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 03:21 PM
I hope it's not THAT cool... we like your pretty little head! ;)

mark2d2
11-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Blow Jargo Blow!

No, in all seriousness, these sets do look like they'll be an awful lot of fun. Truly amazing sets.

I still haven't as yet formed my opinion on Screaming Luke, but yeah, that dianoga is totally beyond awesome.

187-Maul
11-01-2002, 06:11 PM
I don't know about these sets, the dianoga is cool as hell, but luke's head...UGLY!
that looks nothing like mark, not in the least
the poses and all are cool and hans head looks alright too (the hair looks pretty good this time) but if you want to display them outside of the set, they look so weird in their poses
IF I buy one of these sets, It'll be the han/luke set as I said earlier, although I first have to see them personal till I really decide

man that head of luke, I think I'll have nightmares tonight over this...:crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
11-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Posted on GalacticHunter.com...these pictures make these beautiful hunks of plastic even more mouthwatering!

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=68

Jargo
11-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Why yes even Quaalude popping Luke there looks like his mouth is watering...... That head surely belongs on a figure wearing a straitjacket and packed in a lovely padded cell setting.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-06-2002, 05:26 PM
hehe...I posted that URL BEFORE looking at the luke pictures....WHOA! I guess mouthwatering was the wrong word to use :p

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 08:56 AM
this set is very cool looking! all you need to do now is make/add some compactor walls for this set!

Rogue II
11-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Well, there are slots along the base to slide in the cardboard cutouts of the trash compactor walls. It looks similar to the Cantina bar sets or the cinema scenes.

It would have been nice if they at least included the wall with a plastic door, but I guess we can't have everything.