PDA

View Full Version : Anyone walk by VHS movies in the store........

scruffziller
10-25-2002, 08:12 AM
And think, "man what a waste of plastic." In reference to the awesome technology of DVDs. Plus I saw a cool liscence plate that said DVD 133.

Beast
10-25-2002, 08:58 AM
Well, until every movie ever released on VHS comes out on DVD, they still have their place. But VHS is definatly dieing, with stores carrying less and less of them, and focusing more on DVD it shouldn't be to long. Hell, like I posted before, Circut City completely got rid of their VHS movies section. The only thing that VHS currently has over DVD is cheap recording ability. But every year that ability gets cheaper and cheaper on DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JesusFreak
10-25-2002, 10:03 AM
I did that just the other day scruffziller. Target had this big wall of movies and 3/4 of them were dvds but then I walked by the vhs and they're just so......ugh!

Wow, I'm really sounding like a snob, aren't I? lol ;)

James Boba Fettfield
10-25-2002, 11:07 AM
I vomit everytime I see them anymore.

Exhaust Port
10-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Plus I saw a cool liscence plate that said DVD 133.

What does this vanity plate mean exactly?

<for those of us that aren't hip ;) >

mini-rock
10-26-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by JesusFreak
Wow, I'm really sounding like a snob, aren't I? lol ;)

Nothing wrong with that.:D

Eternal Padawan
10-26-2002, 09:36 AM
I walk by them and think

"Awww. How quaint."

scruffziller
10-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port

Originally posted by scruffziller
Plus I saw a cool liscence plate that said DVD 133.

What does this vanity plate mean exactly?

<for those of us that aren't hip ;) >

Not sure, I guess just use your imagination........

Could mean I have 133 DVDs.
133 DVDs is my goal.
I live on 133rd street and love DVDs.
I am going to live to be 133 and my name is Daron Vaughn Daniels.
I own a DVD shop and my business building number is 133.
Then again it may not be a vanity plate at all, but a simple randomness.

scruffziller
10-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Any update on you obtaining that 300 disc DVD player there Jar Jar?

Exhaust Port
10-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks Scruff, I thought that I was totally clueless once again with some sort of pop-culture reference.

There's a pretty good chance that his plate was just assigned to him. There are 1000 DVD car plates in each state as well as VHS. ;)

scruffziller
10-27-2002, 11:21 AM
That's funny. But I have never seen a plate with VHS together with other letters let alone, alone on its own. The plate I saw

was DVD 133, it wasn't DVD133.

I wonder if anyone ever had BETA or LASERDISK on their plates. Jar Jar........?

Exhaust Port
10-27-2002, 08:19 PM
I depends on which state plate the letter/number combo's are on. Most states have a break in the middle filled by a state logo or other image. Other states have no additional image there so the letter/number combo's read as one.

Tycho
10-29-2002, 10:38 PM
In defense of VHS tapes, I just bought movies for 5 bucks. For the amount of time I have to spend watching them, this is a great price.

I got:

Three Kings
Fight Club (although I'm likely to also buy the DVD to this film)
American History X
Me, Myself, and Irene
The Waterboy
U-571 (though again, the DVD might have potential)

With Pearl Harbor, I'm looking for the best price. I probably will buy both. It depends what extras are on the DVD for me.

The DVDs above that I identified I may want, have a lot of interesting things added to them, I heard.

As far as VHS tapes wearing out? My ORIGINAL original trilogy (SW obviously) is in great working condition. These are the first release editions on Video. Do you know how many years I've had these and how many times they've been played? I could only guess...

The secret: do not fast-forward or rewind them, especially in play mode. Let the tape run to the end and then most VCRs rewind themselves.

I am not home enough to watch a lot of movies as intensely as it would require a whole home-theater and the digital experience. I spend more than the price of a good system on Hasbro Star Wars every year (25 Clone Troopers, 16 Clone Pilots, 2 Arenas, 4 Gunships, etc.) At this point, buying stuff on the primary market when it will get more expensive later ( I still need 2 more Mas Amedas, but I won't pay over $10 for them each) makes sense.

Home theater stuff will only get more advanced and some stuff will become cheaper (for multi-room technology, etc). When Star Wars is finally released on DVD (the Classic Trilogy) I'll be in the position to build an awesome home theater like SirSteve did (well not that awesome, but I'll be asking his advice as he's the biggest expert on this subject that I know!)

Then I'll re-buy any movies I watch with the most frequency from my video collection. Of course, DVD extras will have something to do with it.

Otherwise, I have a fine movie collection on VHS.

Meanwhile, how are the extras on The Patriot's DVD?

Eternal Padawan
10-30-2002, 01:00 AM
Y'know. For some reason my friend is a big Patriots fan. Even though he was born in Iowa and now lives in Cali. I can't fathom it. It's like he randomly picked a football team when he was eight and now....

...gosh.

That really has nothing to do with anything, does it?

mini-rock
10-30-2002, 01:17 AM
The only thing that The Patriot SE has over the Superbit Deluxe version is that it has a full commentary by Roland Emmerich & Dean Devlin, while the SB version has commentary only for the deleted scenes, which the SE doesn't have.

I'd say the benifit of a 2 disc set like the Superbit Deluxe version is having the movie on one disc and all the extras on the 2nd. I have both and the video on the SBD is far superior as is the DTS track over the DD on the SE version.:)

Prince Xizor
10-30-2002, 08:28 PM
The Blockbuster near me has gotten rid of a giant portion of their VHS section. All they have left of them is like 3 or 4 of each of the new releases, and a kids section. That's about all. The rest is all DVDs.