PDA

View Full Version : So, where's a Spielburg collection?

Imperial Monarche
10-25-2002, 11:11 AM
If we can have a Stanely Kubrick collection (where all his movies are available in a DVD collection) why can't we get a Spielberg one? I know that some of his movies aren't on DVD yet, but wouldn't that be a good time to come out wit those movies (Indiana Jones Trilogy, Schindler's List) and they could all be special edition versions of each movie. I think its a good idea, an expensive idea, by why can't we have an entire collection of movies from the greatest director of all time?

Beast
10-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Spielburg isn't dead, and alot of his movies are from different companies. We have Warner, Dreamworks, Fox, etc. So that's never going to happen, because the studios arn't going to band together to release a DVD set. Just be patient, there are things of his coming.

Remember that Spielburg needs the time to prepare those DVD releases. He's got "Minority Report" coming in December. And Shindler's List is currently being prepared for a DVD release. It was supposed to be out this year in a 2-disc S.E., but it had to be delayed for unexplained reasons. "Duel" was also delayed until next year, due to the fact that they forgot to get Spielburg's permission to do a S.E. for it.

The Indiana Jones Trilogy is rumored to show up next year, but they may not actually turn up. Supposedly they want to wait and tie the release of the movies in with the upcoming "Indy IV". But the "Back to the Future" Trilogy which he produced, is coming in December. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
10-25-2002, 04:24 PM
alot of his movies are from different companies. We have Warner, Dreamworks, Fox, etc. So that's never going to happen, because the studios arn't going to band together to release a DVD set

what about oliver stone? he's got a mega box set with movies from many film studios.
come on jar jar, you should know this!:crazed: (just joking)

personally i'd rather buy movies individually. though i like oliver stone, i wouldn't want "U-Turn" or "Any Given Sunday" in my DVD collection.:)

and there are numerous speilburg films i could do without. "Hook" anyone. ;)

Battle Droid
10-25-2002, 06:55 PM
I've got the Spielberg movie I like.

Jurassic Park, I don't really care to much for his other films. Except for maybe Jaws & E.T.

Exhaust Port
10-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by derek
what about oliver stone?

He might as well be dead. Stone hasn't don't squat at the box office in years and the studios wanted to make some $$ of him before everyone forgets who he even is in my opinion. Speilberg is still cranking out popular stuff so its much to early to cash in all his chips with a DVD collection.

derek
10-26-2002, 12:21 AM
He might as well be dead

yea, after "Natural Born Killers", or during, some may say, he hasn't really done much.:)

i think " Born on the 4th of July, Platoon, JFK, Nixon, and Heaven and Earth" are all really good films, but when he got into that "funky" mode with "Natural Born Killers and U-Turn", switching between color and black and white and that goofy MTV style of editing, i feel it really hurt the stories.

i think stone is the charlie sheen of directors now. he had a lot of potential, but wasted it.

mini-rock
10-26-2002, 04:28 AM
As for the Indy films I believe GL would have the final say in this not SS.

Exhaust Port
10-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Why's that mini-rock?

derek
10-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
As for the Indy films I believe GL would have the final say in this not SS.

probably cause lucas own the indy franchise.

Beast
10-26-2002, 07:00 PM
But it would probably be a joint release, between the two of them. I wonder if Lucas could actually drag Spielburg to do an audio commentary. We know that Lucas obviously doesn't mind them, but Spielburg hates them. The two of them sitting together with Harrison Ford for an audio commentary would be great. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
10-26-2002, 07:35 PM
Harrison Ford for an audio commentary would be great

i really like harrison ford as an actor, but in real life, from the interviews i've seen, he's the most boring person in hollywood.
to get him to do an audio commentary they'd have to hold him at gun point, or threaten to replace him in indy 4.:)

mini-rock
10-27-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I wonder if Lucas could actually drag Spielburg to do an audio commentary.MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

GL has already extended an invite to Spielberg to do a commentary for the Indy films, but Spielburg declined. Think I read that at the bits about a year ago. I remember everyone getting excited because they thought it meant the Indy DVD's would be out in '02. :p

Beast
10-27-2002, 08:33 AM
Spielburg is such a stick in the mud sometimes. Yeah, now that you mention it, I recall that as well. Oh well, let Lucas handle the Audio Commentary, and let Spielburg be the focus of the special features. He's done some great interviews on the Close Encounters and Jaws DVD's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-27-2002, 02:47 PM
I like the little featurettes that Spielberg does, and IMO as long as he keeps doing those I do not really mind him not doing film commentaries.

Beast
10-27-2002, 03:14 PM
The only think that I don't like about the Jaws DVD featurette, is that it's an edited version of the one from the Laserdisc. They should have done a special collector's 2-disc set for Jaws, so that they could include the whole documentary. The documentary and extra features from the E.T. Laserdisc should have been included in the 3-disc E.T. gift set also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The only think that I don't like about the Jaws DVD featurette, is that it's an edited version of the one from the Laserdisc. They should have done a special collector's 2-disc set for Jaws, so that they could include the whole documentary. The documentary and extra features from the E.T. Laserdisc should have been included in the 3-disc E.T. gift set also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

While the lack of extra feature's on a DVD do not bother me, I do have to agree with your post JJB. Those are all great films that deserve the best DVD treatment. Period!:)