PDA

View Full Version : Standard Time

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Just a reminder to set set your clocks back 1 hour tomorrow. :)

Beast
10-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Except for those areas of the world that don't follow Daylight Savings Time. Carry on. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Boba Rhett
10-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Yipes. I forgot. :eek: Thanks for the reminder.

Rogue II
10-26-2002, 08:28 PM
I wish they would just do away with Daylight Savings time.

Exhaust Port
10-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I wish they would just do away with Daylight Savings time.

Man, I'm right there with you. This whole thing does nothing but to screw with your biological clock twice a year. Please do away with it!

QLD
10-26-2002, 09:05 PM
I believe they do it for the farmers....if I am correct, which I am not often.

Rogue II
10-26-2002, 10:07 PM
You are correct, it DST is for farmers. However, we are now in the 21st century. Farming practices are not the same as they were when DST began. I don't think very many other countries have DST, if any.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
You are correct, it DST is for farmers. However, we are now in the 21st century. Farming practices are not the same as they were when DST began. I don't think very many other countries have DST, if any.

No kidding! It was for a time when 5 year olds were doing the work of adults...back when there weren't any laws against child labor....let's say early 20th century...and as you said above, farming practices are WAY different....this country's government (state/federal) sometimes is pathetic in the way it sticks to ridiculously outdated traditions, like marriage for instance! :) :crazed:

Let's move to Arizona! hehe

Exhaust Port
10-26-2002, 11:11 PM
No farmer I know or met sings the praises of DTS. If they don't need it or want it, why do we still have it.

Why did the farmers in Indiana never revolt? They don't conform to the evils of DTS.

JEDIpartner
10-26-2002, 11:26 PM
I think it is about the most useless practice known to the western hemisphere. We should do away with this!!

...and Democrats. :D

....just kidding!!! :rolleyes:

darthvyn
10-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

Let's move to Arizona! hehe

what's up with arizona? i have this completely unfounded fascination with that state... is there anything i should know?

Deoxyribonucleic
10-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn

what's up with arizona? i have this completely unfounded fascination with that state... is there anything i should know?

They do not practice DST! Smart state and beautiful too!

derek
10-27-2002, 12:57 AM

you can legally wear a gun, just like an old time cowboy!!!:crazed:

and they keep re-electing that idiot john mc cain.:confused:

Tycho
10-27-2002, 01:51 AM
If you don't set the clocks back, you will get up while it's still dark. Then if you live out on a remote farm, your mom might be picking wild mushrooms off your moisture vaporators when suddenly WHOOOSH! - the Tusken Raiders take off with her.

Then you'll try to save her and when you can't, you'll get angry and turn to your dark side and try and destroy the entire universe!

Daylight savings time prevents tragedies like this one from happening!

darthvyn
10-27-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by derek

you can legally wear a gun, just like an old time cowboy!!!:crazed:

and they keep re-electing that idiot john mc cain.:confused:

fortunately, there's enough space there to keep away from the gunslingers... and all politicians are idiots or scumbags anyway... ya gotta pick one of 'em... ;)

so they don't practice DST, huh? so for half the year, they consider themselves a central time state? that's my kinda place - "i don't care what the rest of the country does... changing my clock is annoying!"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-27-2002, 01:35 AM
Dear dear Tycho- one who can take the SW saga and impliment it with DST is quite talented. I applaud that, cause it made me laugh. :D

Pendo
10-27-2002, 07:31 AM
WHAT?!? The clocks went back last night?!?!?!

I'M LATE!!!!!

Arggggggg!

:crazed:

PENDO!

edit: Oops, just realised I'd be early, not late :rolleyes:! Never mind...:crazed:

mabudonicus
10-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Can't recall who said it, but I've been getting up in the dark lately, and it'll be kinda nice having sunlight a bit earlier..... it's a pretty good idea the farther north ya get...... Must say though, today is my day off, and I woke up and looked at the clock and thought "man, I wish I'd a slept in a bit more, it's only 8 o clock", then I turned on my computer, and it suddenly got even earlier... NUTS!!!!!!! If it gets any earlier today, I'm gonna call and complain, most of the stores here don't open till around noon on sunday, and I need groceries, dammit, at this rate I gotta wait 4 hours to get on it!!!!!!

dr_evazan22
10-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I believe they do it for the farmers....if I am correct, which I am not often.

IMO, I would think the farmer would go out to work the fields and such at DAWN, no matter what time the clock said. S/He would probably finish in the field at DUSK, when the sun began to set (or when s/he couldn't take the back pain any longer:) ).

From someone who has to be at work when its still dark anyway, who cares? W/ election day looming, I think we should ask our local candidates to do away w/ DST.

darthvyn
10-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mabudon
Can't recall who said it, but I've been getting up in the dark lately, and it'll be kinda nice having sunlight a bit earlier..... it's a pretty good idea the farther north ya get...... Must say though, today is my day off, and I woke up and looked at the clock and thought "man, I wish I'd a slept in a bit more, it's only 8 o clock", then I turned on my computer, and it suddenly got even earlier... NUTS!!!!!!! If it gets any earlier today, I'm gonna call and complain, most of the stores here don't open till around noon on sunday, and I need groceries, dammit, at this rate I gotta wait 4 hours to get on it!!!!!!

but think about it... YOU TRAVELED THROUGH TIME!!! i travel through time all the time - you don't need a centrifuge or a gravity well, or 1.21 gigawatts of electricity, all you need is 7 shots of jack daniels!

okay, so you would call it blacking out...

JediTricks
10-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Arizona doesn't practice Daylight Savings Time because of all the Native Americans living there, though the Navajo there DO practice it. It was pretty cool when I lived there for a year to not have to set my clock forward or back, but it was complicated to make out of state phone calls or fly 400 miles back to LA, everything was about resetting the watch in summer and then NOT in fall and winter.

When I went to high school, there was no direct route so I had to take a series of busses to get there, which meant I had to get up and go before dawn - DST helped me not at all in this dilemma.

I hear 1 year, Nixon abolished DST and everybody loved it, but there was a small uproar because a few kids in the midwest had to head off to school in the dark so we all went back. Why didn't the school simply open an hour later instead?

Darthvyn, Arizona is on Mountain time, not Central. And it's creepy to see signs at the bars asking folks to check their guns at the door. Also, if you're between 12 and 18, you have to carry a note from your legal guardian if you want to strap on a gun.

Here's a cool site all about DST: http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/

good shot jansen
10-27-2002, 02:54 PM
in 1974, tricky dick actually did away with standard time, and forced us back into daylight savings time in january of that year. it was the middle of the oil crisis, and it was thought at the time to be a way of combating the price of heating oil. (the sun would be up longer in the day, thus the rational/irrational thought was we would need less heating oil for our homes and business).

back in those days, i was in middle school. i lived in manhattan (nyc), and took the subway every morning to my school up in the bronx.

on the #1 train, there is a portion of the track which becomes elevated at 125th street. i remember being on the train, and when the train came out of the ground, for this elevated portion of the trip, a full moon was hanging low, over the new jersey palisades, just across the hudson river. in a pitch black night time sky.

needless to say, the country as a whole didn't save a pint of heating oil, (it's winter ya bozo's, it's fricken cold out there no matter what time of day it is.....sheeeeesh)

mercifully, this experiment was discontinued after it's inaugrial run.

darthvyn
10-27-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Darthvyn, Arizona is on Mountain time, not Central. And it's creepy to see signs at the bars asking folks to check their guns at the door. Also, if you're between 12 and 18, you have to carry a note from your legal guardian if you want to strap on a gun.

i know, but when the rest of mountain falls back, and so does central, then the mountain time state of az is really running at the same time as all the central states - therefore, they could be considered unofficially a central state for half of the year, correct?

and those signs do sound creepy... thankfully i'm over the age of 18, so i don't need a note for my gun... :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
10-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
And it's creepy to see signs at the bars asking folks to check their guns at the door. Also, if you're between 12 and 18, you have to carry a note from your legal guardian if you want to strap on a gun.

LONG LIVE WYATT EARP and the OK CORAL.

I actually visited that place a couple years ago....Tombstone, AZ and lemme tell ya, what a tripy place to go. The people who live there all dress like a mining town from the late 1800's early 1900's AND there's a saloon/brothel there that they just opened to the public that Wyatt Earp and all those infamous people used to visit and there's bullets still embedded into the stage AND one cool but weird thing, downstairs they have exactly as it was left over 100 years ago, the longest poker game in the world, it lasted almost 8 years and some millions of dollars passed through the game. The chips and money and old footprints and chairs are all still there, left exactly as it was when they all fled the town. They also left the brothel rooms exactly as they were when everyone had to flee the town....talk about a trip into history and talk about making me sure feel lucky that I live now and not then!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-27-2002, 08:32 PM

Arizona ain't a state for me.

Can anyone stand 120 degree heat in the Summer? (sure it's a dry heat, but hot anyway you cut it). How can one work in that heat, or accomplish anything important outside during the day?

Deserts? Little rain? And during the few months that it does rain, it resembles a monsoon because the water has no where to runoff. Green (or sandy in this case) Christmases? The Arizona Cardinals Border intrusions? A state teeming with old people and retirees? Wandering coyotes? Sorry, I could never live there.

Now Delaware. There's a state fit for me! :cool:

Tycho
10-27-2002, 09:02 PM
I have a romantic nostalgia for the Old West.

A fan of the Young Guns movies, I rode Billy the Kid's trail from Santa Fe to Lincoln, New Mexico on horseback for the greater part of a week on one Spring Break vacation. I got to carry a gun and go to an Apache Indian Reservation, and a Pueblo Indian Reservation and I learned how to make pottery and create firearms in the traditional ways - I also went into old mine shafts and gathered quartz etc.

I've stayed in Scottsdale, Ariz. with a cousin before, and we went to Tempe (to ASU) and down to Tucson to look at UofA when I was accepted to colleges out there. I didn't get to go to Tombstone on that trip, but I wanted to. If Billy is my favorite outlaw, Wyatt Earp is my favorite lawman!

I know something of the history of that place, too. The town didn't run off because of the Clanton-Clayborns versus the Earps conflict. They left some years after that when the silver veins were all mined out. Everyone was chasing precious metals in those days. Gambling and horse-racing etc. kept the entertainment industry lively for a while, but the town couldn't sustain the tourism traffic as it had gotten a bad reputation and was not supported as a military fort town, like Tucson - so many viewed Tombstone as just too dangerous.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-27-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

I know something of the history of that place, too. The town didn't run off because of the Clanton-Clayborns versus the Earps conflict. They left some years after that when the silver veins were all mined out. Everyone was chasing precious metals in those days. Gambling and horse-racing etc. kept the entertainment industry lively for a while, but the town couldn't sustain the tourism traffic as it had gotten a bad reputation and was not supported as a military fort town, like Tucson - so many viewed Tombstone as just too dangerous.

True True...did you hear about the guy who was a caretaker at one of the saloon/brothels there...he lived in the basement and no one ever bothered him down there and he ended up digging this huge elaborate tunnel and mined god knows how much silver and no one ever found out where he went or what happened to him????

Pretty crazy lil' town of Tombstone! If you ever get a chance you should go go go because it's like nothing you've ever experienced before. Literally you are taken back into time and it IS weird!

Tycho
10-28-2002, 12:20 AM
Are you sure? That's kind of wierd because the mines were in the mountains and the towns grew out of what was pretty much originally the base camps. They might've mined within Tombstone City Limits, but not in the exact town proper itself (that I know of).

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 12:43 AM
I'm so sure that I would bet my star wars collection on it. :D You can actually go downstairs to where he lived and see the hole he dug, which I did. All of his things are still there, the ladder he made, etc. It's the real deal! And if you go to the museum/courthouse, they have the story in the history books of tombstone! Silver was actually found all over the area of tombstone and there are tunnels/mines dug all over and under the city and you can even see where serval of them have collapsed.

Tycho
10-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Wow! Cool!

Ah to live in those times when there was money even under the streets!

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 01:01 AM
gosh, I sure didn't mean to sound like a "know-it-all"...that truly is not my intention!! and had I not gone there for myself recently, I would know absolutely nothing about tombstone et. al. I shoulda never even said anything, I just got excited because I actually know a small something about history :)

If you really do like that stuff, I really hope you get a chance to go there! As I am a city/island living person, I've never been one for those types of areas and I'll tell you, I will never forget that place! It was SO eerie and like I said before, you literally step back into time...like nothing I've ever experienced!

:)

Tycho
10-28-2002, 01:29 AM
Oh, I never thought you sounded like you were trying to be a 'know it all!' That thought never crossed my mind. I think in the computer-scripted world, it's sometimes hard to understand someone's intonation - but there was never any sarcasm in my posts in this thread.

Thanks for the cool info. I have always been curious to go there and visit the infamous O.K. Corral!

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Oh, I never thought you sounded like you were trying to be a 'know it all!' That thought never crossed my mind. I think in the computer-scripted world, it's sometimes hard to understand someone's intonation - but there was never any sarcasm in my posts in this thread.

PHEW! I didn't think you had sarcasm AT ALL :)...I just read my post and thought, oh I hope that didn't look bad. You are so right about the computer world and getting across what we really mean...with inflections and tone, it is sometimes impossible. Thanks for your understanding Tycho...I tried to put this in pm but your box is full :)

JediTricks
10-28-2002, 07:25 PM
i know, but when the rest of mountain falls back, and so does central, then the mountain time state of az is really running at the same time as all the central states - therefore, they could be considered unofficially a central state for half of the year, correct?Nope, when the rest of the country switches back off DST, Arizona is on Pacific time, not Central.

darthvyn
10-28-2002, 07:44 PM
i dunno, the whole thing confuses the hell out of me... :crazed::crazed::crazed:

good shot jansen
10-29-2002, 07:53 AM
hawaii does not observe daylight savings, and niether does most (not all :confused: )of the eastern portion of indiana that's in the eastern time zone.

kinda makes working in chicago, yet living in indiana a bit of an interesting logistical nightmare:eek: if you lived in the western portion of the eastern time zone in indiana, and had to drive to a job in chicago, during daylight savings, you might have to travel through three diffrent time zones just to commute to work:sur: (eastern standard, eastern daylight, and central daylight).

of couse it would be quite a hike, but an interesting footnote none-the-less ;)