PDA

View Full Version : Silver R2-D2 Release Details

SirSteve
10-27-2002, 02:32 AM
No rumors here... here is the lastest news (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=558) we posted regarding this figure. Check it out.

Battle Droid
10-27-2002, 02:37 AM
SWEET, you can get it online! :eek:

Thanks for the news Steve.

Sinister Lord
10-27-2002, 09:01 AM
So November 3rd is the day we go to the store? OK, I'll be there. Thanks.

Banthaholic
10-27-2002, 09:14 AM
That would be sweet if we can get it on the 3rd!!

I really don't think I have the patience to sit outside on Black Friday with mobs of mothers trying to get in the store. Anyone think trying to fight for figures with collectors is tough try a mob of mothers

Clone Trooper Bob
10-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Where do those warehouse numbers listed represent? What part of the country? Thanks!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks Sir Steve!! I wonder though, if the R2 will be a set amount online or the page it's on will say "only with 20 dollars or more purchase of SW items" but this'll make things ALOT easier. sweet deal!!! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info! :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-27-2002, 01:28 PM
Yay, thanks Sirsteve!:)

Turbowars
10-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Man, now everyone knows:( hehe

Bib Forlobster
10-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Looks like there will be enough for everyone. With an average of about 60,000 shipping at $20.00 a purchase that means TRU would make about $1,200,000 if they moved all of them. Of course I'm sure employees will be snagging a few without making the purchase and dealers and friends of TRU employees will also obtain them without making the $20 purchase. They will probably also have enough left where eventually the managers of different stores will eventually put them on the floor for sale.

A similiar event occured years ago with an X-men "MOJO" figure. Same deal, you had to spend $20 in X-men merchandise at TRU to get the figure. At first people went nuts and made their purchases. Then alot of people returned the purchases and kept the figure. Eventually, TRU had so much extra stock of these figures that they put them on the floor. Then they still weren't moving so TRU blew them out for about $2.00 each.

Jargo
10-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Well I got mine this morning through R2DTOYS and it came in a star case minty fresh. I couldn't see the point of going out spending money on stuff I don't really want to get the figure so I just went online and payed the same or thereabouts to get one mint. Lovely little figure, goes really well with TC-14. I'm just too impatient to wait until the 3rd or whenever. It's a lot of money to pay out just for one little droid but compared to the stupid prices on Jorg Sacul and TF Vader going for upwards of 50, I don't mind shelling 23. I've payed that for older HTF figures from POTF2 so it really isn't too bad.
Good luck getting yours, it's worth it. :)

evenflow
10-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Wow. That is alot. I assume we will be all getting one.

Turbowars
10-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Some of the fun is hunting it Jargo. Maybe thats just me, but when I find a new figure at a retail store I feel good. When someone hands me one that they found I kinda don't think much about it. I guess what I'm saying is.. forget it I don't even know. LOL

sith_killer_99
10-30-2002, 07:16 AM
I just can't get over these e-bay idiots paying $40-$60 for a figure that will be FREE this weekend?!?!?! :crazed:

The perfect time for me to get that cool TRU exclusive X-Wing!:D Plus a silver R2-D2 for FREE!!!:D

Prince Xizor
10-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Does this apply only to Hasbro Star Wars products, or Star Wars products in general. For example, I want to buy the DVD and get the figure, but will it work that way?

Beast
10-30-2002, 05:18 PM
Prince Xizor, it's Hasbro products only, according to the link in Steve's post. So pick up somthing you have been waiting on, or just buy some army builders or somthing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I just can't get over these e-bay idiots paying $40-$60 for a figure that will be FREE this weekend?!?!?! :crazed:

The perfect time for me to get that cool TRU exclusive X-Wing!:D Plus a silver R2-D2 for FREE!!!:D

Depends how badly you want something. If you already have everything else you don't want to buy doubles just to get the droid so what's the difference in spending out to get just the droid without the crud that TRU are trying to shift? I wouldn't pay the higher prices on EBAY, in fact I would never use EBAY since it stinks as an entity. The way I got mine was what suited me. The hunt for toys is something I grew tired of a long time ago. Nowadays I can't be bothered going to the toys, I make them come to me. Maximum yield for minimum effort. Since I buy from loads of different e-tailers I window shop until I find the nicest price on what I want.
How can silver R2 be free if there's a minimum purchase on it? People will be spending out on stuff they don't necessarily want to get it. Ergo, it comes at a price. But - horses for courses as they say...

sith_killer_99
10-30-2002, 06:01 PM
I see your point, but it's a $20.00 minimum. So people paying $40-$60 are getting hosed, IMHO.

If you need to buy $20.00 worth of (Hasbro) merchandise then the figure IS FREE.

Don't get me wrong, people are entitled to spend their money how they see fit.

I'm just too cheap to spend big money on figures. I'm the guy who waited 'til swimming Jar-Jar came to TRU for $1.97 before I would shell out the money for it.

LTBasker
10-30-2002, 06:19 PM
What people don't realize is theres plenty of stuff to get the R2 with that they may still need:

TRU Landspeeder
TRU X-wing
Bunch of new figures showing up plus the Clone Pilots which you'll want multiples of loose
Gunship
Arena
Acklay (since it hasn't shown up that much in alot of areas)
Heck, some people may even take the opportunity to finally get a Reek if they're there... All of those are easy ways to get to the $20 price point without going out of your way if you were gonna get the stuff anyways.

Jargo
10-30-2002, 07:36 PM
I take your point but it was simply a case of already having everything and not needing to go out to TRU for any reason. Seems you guys had a pretty poo year finding what you wanted and for once i had first and foremost the power of a credit card behind me that allowed me to buy stuff first and pay off later, then also finding everything i needed either at the stores or online. This is the first time I've spent so much on a figure that's new and i don't intend to make a habit of it. SK99 I'm a skinflint too and always seek the bargains first before buying anything. But like i said, had no want for anything else just now.

sith_killer_99
10-30-2002, 07:45 PM
All-in-all things were OK this year. Figures got a little tight after the Palpatine wave.

I am also trying to pay off the minivan (1 December!!!!).

But my local TRU has a BUNCH of the X-Wings so I have held off buying it.;)

And, YES I drive a minivan.:p

Deoxyribonucleic
10-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

That's exactly my plan too! Woohoo!

Beast
10-30-2002, 08:24 PM
I already have the X-Wing, but I'm hoping to find the Landspeeder on the 3rd. Either that or I'll grab a Reek, Acklay, Gunship, Arena, or somthing else I've been waiting on. Heck, maybe I'll even actually find new figures I need. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
10-30-2002, 08:35 PM
I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready!

gsr-jedi
10-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Does this apply to POTJ also, cause my local TRU has some Silver Anniversary Scene Sets clearanced down to $10. I figure I'll get those since I never bought them and a figure to open to put me over $19.99. My friend is kind of lucky with it though, cause he was broke and didn't buy the new figs, now he'll probably be able to pick up figs he needs and get the R2-D2 with it.

Beast
10-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Anything that is Hasbro Star Wars products, so I don't see a problem with you getting the POTJ stuff. If they say anything just show them the "Hasbro" name on the package. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Val Da Car
10-30-2002, 11:04 PM
I just this doesn't happen to me at my TRU store... as posted on another web site http://www.artoosnews.com....

so short sighted unguided stocker set out the figures and he was able to buy them.....

He even has the receipt to prove it.....

I just want one....

Common Sense should rule supreme!!!!

Banthaholic
10-31-2002, 12:43 AM
A $20 purchase is next to nothing. I was smart enough to leave the Reek, the two speeders to purchase. Heck I was just at Toys R Us and they had the 12" Luke & Taun Taun, I thought about getting it then, but maybe I'll buy it Sunday and get a free R2 unit.

abell748
10-31-2002, 11:01 AM
i work for my local newspaper and saw sunday's tru ad. r2 is in it if you have a very keen eye. it looks like they went out of their way to make it hard to see. it is not on the cover, but it is mixed in with the pics of other star wars toys towards the back of the book.

Exhaust Port
10-31-2002, 11:27 AM
I'm I reading that receipt right? Did he purchase the R2 for $.01?

Prince Xizor
10-31-2002, 11:40 AM
Yeah it was a penny. Whoever is in charge at that TRU put all of the units up on the shelf, and they ring up for a cent.

If that happened at my TRU, I would buy a hundred of them.

Jedi Master Silas
10-31-2002, 01:00 PM
I cany find anything about the R2 in my TRU big book I got int he mail today..am I blind or is this a hoax??? (crossing fingers that it's not a hoax) Does anyone know what the free gift will be when you pick up your reserved copy of EP2 at TRU??? The ignorant sales guy told me R2..so thats the only reason I reserved it there instead of buying it a Wal Mart @ 12:01.

bobafett07728
10-31-2002, 01:03 PM
I've been holding out on the Landspeeder, and X-Wing just for this day. I'm also hoping they have an Acklay, Gunship, or Arena. . .but that may be asking a bit much. Luckily, I was given a TRU giftcard for my birthday ($100), so I am really looking forward to the 3rd. I'm hoping I can get at least the two exclusives, and anything else would be bonus. I really only want one R2, but I won't complain if I can get an extra to pop open. There's nothing better than getting TRU giftcards for your 26th birthday!!!!! wooHOO!!

jjreason
10-31-2002, 02:35 PM
Im ordering the Landspeeder from Amazon at midnight on the 3rd, as well as a couple of figures they have that I don't (CA Amidala, Watto, Lod Dodd, etc). That should net me one.

bobafett07728
10-31-2002, 02:51 PM
I might have to do that for the landspeeder too because they have actually dried up around my parts. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they will put out a case or two on the 3rd.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-31-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by bobafett07728
I might have to do that for the landspeeder too because they have actually dried up around my parts. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they will put out a case or two on the 3rd.

same here! Here's wishing that they restock everything and maybe we can all get some good figs too. Ephant Mon pops into mind :)

Clone Trooper Bob
10-31-2002, 09:24 PM
My TRU had just restocked its shelves tonight with all the recent figs (minus Ephont Man, No Goatee-Rebel Soldier or the Destroyer Droid) but they had everyone else and quite a few of them. Even a bunch of Dooku's and Palpatine's! Hope there is still some left come Sunday the 3rd!

Count Dooku
11-01-2002, 12:43 AM
To answer an earlier question, they have to ring in the R2 at something because they can't by law give it away for free, so that is why it is a penny (.01) which is as close to free as you can get.

Also, $20 is not a lot to shell out to get a pretty nice figure, I'm sure anybody in here can find $20 in star wars to buy. Heck most of us in here has probably spent a "lot" more than this.

Beast
11-01-2002, 01:03 AM
From what I understand, the penny is more for keeping track of inventory. They could actually give it away, but they have them in the system, so they have to ring them thru when someone gets one. That way they know how many they have on hand, so they can re-order more, if they run out.

Since they can't charge nothing thru the computer, they have to charge the minimum allowed price. They used to deduct a penny later on off the reciept, but it doesn't seem like they are doing it in this case. Plus your supposed to make your $19.99 purchase, and then take the reciept to the front desk to pick up the R2-D2, so likely you won't get charged anyway.

It's just for keeping track of the quantities in their computer systems. Atleast that is how things used to work at TRU, because I remember getting the E1 Holographic plastic DVD case, and they explained why they did things that way. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
11-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Well I got a Silver R2 at the PR TRU Sat 2nd at 2:00. Heres the thing. I was visting my parents in the area and I called to see if they were dishing them out yet and they said yes. I drove over there and they gave me some crap about not having a book. Anyways I asked to see a Manager and sure enough the girl came over with a R2. It's in C9.5+ shape. I saw the box behindthe CS desk and it looks like a 12" fig box,but it says give away. Good luck out there.

Bib Forlobster
11-03-2002, 07:38 PM
I was at my TRU this morning and I have to say that I'm a little annoyed.

First, for about two weeks now, my local TRU has had an abundance of the newer figures (with the exception of Ephant Mon and the Clonetrooper Pilots) including Lott Dodd, Watto, Tusken Raider, Pilot Jango, etc. I figured, since I knew this promotion was coming up today I'd hold off and wait to buy some of these figures so I could get the R2. I went first thing this morning and guess what? They cleared all the current figures from the floor!!! Last time I checked was Friday and they had bins full!!! There's no way they could have sold hundreds of those figures in a day. Suddenly, the pegs were overstocked with lame-o pegwarmers including Taun-We, Bearded Endor Soldier, Dexter Jettstar, Djas Phur, etc. I thought this was a dirty tactic just to try to clear bad stock.

Second, there were people pushing each other out of the way and being rude just to get to the SW section. I couldn't believe it!!! One trailer-trash looking couple already had a bunch of the R2's in their carriage before even buying anything. How did they do this? TRU also stashed all of it's exclusive X-wings on the top unaccessible shelf and brought all the Reeks down. I did see the same couple asking a clerk to bring some down. Overall the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth and I left without buying anything.

Collecting should be fun and you'd think there would be more of a comradeship between collectors seeing as how we share a common interest. Instead, more often I've been seeing this kind of rudeness. It really is a shame and I felt kind of low thinking I share a common interest with these people. I know, not everyone is like this, but when you see jerks it kind of brings you down.

I'm going to wait until TRU actually has some stock again that I actually want to spend my money on instead of this feeling of being forced to buy something I don't really want. If they are out of R2's by then, then so be it. It's really not that important. It's a shame that something that should be a fun little bonus can be so disheartening.

They had them stocked behing all the registers and it did look like they had alot.

Val Da Car
11-03-2002, 08:17 PM
My TRU has X-Wings up on the upper shelf but they have not had any newer figs for 2 weeks...still selling the Lott Dodd/Padme/TA Anikan/Tusken/Yoda/Dooku wave and had them in bins. The older waves are on the pegs and 7 Gunships.

The promo r2 figures were behind the counter and given with every sw purchase except for my buddy because the cashier forgot to ring up the purchase and he had to go to customer service.

Otherwise my store handled it fine my only issue is that there were no new figures out and they only got 128 figures.......beats me how long that will last.....

Deoxyribonucleic
11-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey BibForlobster...this is a story, not to rub it in, but to lift your hopes that there still are good collectores out there. I went to my local TRU for my R2 and they had all the newer figs (minus ephant and clone pilots) and the manager came up to us (he's a big collectore of SW) and we were all talking and he said, "ya know, I think I have some clone pilots in the back, let me go check." and he brought out about 20 of them, specifically just took them out of the cases and put the cases minus clone pilots back into the stockroom, he did that just for us because he knew we needed them. He said, an empty stockroom is best because people can't buy what's not on the shelf. He was so great and so excited to help fellow collectors, it was very refreshing! :D

Hope that lifts the mood a bit :)

2-1B
11-03-2002, 11:03 PM
When I worked for TRU I seem to remember scanning promos for a penny and then using a coupon to deduct it.

sith_killer_99
11-03-2002, 11:06 PM
:eek: And I had to pay the full penny!;)

Beast
11-03-2002, 11:09 PM
Looking at my receipt, I was charged the penny and right next to it it was taken off. Here's the line that's on the receipt. :)

076930849170 R2D2 GWP 0.00 T
012566 FREE R2D2 PROMO P#1 (0.01-0.01)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediCole
11-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Part of it anyway...

Between myself, Mrs. JediCole, and a friend of ours, the rounds were made at a few TRU's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Here are the results:

Arlington: The one remaining store (TRU closed the other one a few months back) was good. Very little in the way of new things. Picked up Clone Trooper Pilot and the new Maul, but mostly older stock. They did have lots of the exclusive 12" Mace Windu and the X-Wing (none were hidden). And they had TONS of Luke/Taun Taun. Kind of reminded me of the later days of the Han/Taun Taun 12" set! They even had at least a couple each of the Action Fleet AT-TE and Solar Sailer (which I picked up for myself a couple of weeks ago, unfortunatly)! As far as the R2 is concerned, they had them behind the Customer Service counter and you had to bring your receipt up there and the manager would sign the reciept and give you your R2. And he would point out that if you return any of the [Star Wars] items, you have to return the R2! (The only store that seemed to point this out!) Overall they were pretty helpful and there seemed to be more (customer) buzz over the Yu Gi Oh offer than the Star Wars one. Only one other person was there that seemed to have come to buy for the R2! And that was at 11:00 AM when the store opened. In a personal note, like many, I used this as an opportunity to finally pick up a Reek!

Irving: This store was similar in its approach to distributing the R2, you took your receipt to the CS counter to be signed. The managers there were enthusiastic and most helpful. The selection in the Star Wars section was poor, but they did have X-Wings and 12" Mace Windus. After leaving I decided to go back in to buy some marked down Halloween candy and I'm glad I did! At the front near the counters there was a set of shelves with tons of newer (Watto, Lott Dodd, Tusken Raider) figures! I asked the manager if I could trade out some of the peg warmers I had just bought for some I needed. He said yes, to just run back out and get them and ask for him. I traded in four of the five figures I bought for some I needed and the manager even asked if I had my R2 yet, in a way that said, "I want to make sure you got one" rather than, "I want to make sure you are not trying to pull something". It was quite refreshing considering a friend of mine once found some new stuff at a TRU and was trying to put it elsewhere so I could pick it up after work. A manager saw him and inquired what he was doing. He explained that I would be dropping by later to pick the figures up. The manager told him to put them back as he was preventing someone who wanted to BUY them from doing so, to which my friend replied that someone who did WANT TO BUY THEM would be by LATER THE SAME DAY! He was forced to put them back and leave. I manged to get by later and find them still there anyway, but was tempted to go "thank" the manager for his perseverence!

North Richland Hills: This store had the most new stuff it seems. No Ephant Mons though. And they had their act together! Clerks at the checkout had the boxes of R2s and would scan them after ringing up an appropriate purchase. No having to seek someone else out to get your free figure. And this was the only store that was reported to have been busy (with tons of customers)! But then it could have been the later hours of the day.

Duncanville: This was the worst of the bunch. A friend reported that when he made his requisite purchase and tried collect his R2. The woman at the counter told him that the offer was for the purchase of any ONE ITEM that was $19.99 or above. She even rudely pointed out the ad which clearly requred a PURCHASE of $19.99, not an ITEM! He tried to explain the definition of PURCHASE vs. item and they begrudgingly gave in, pointing out that his contention that friends had no problem acquiring R2s with a $19.99 purchase at other TRUs was a product of the other stores "not doing it right"! Kind of the sort of thing I was half expecting this morning when I set out! Anyway, this store seems to have had a lot of new stuff, too. But depending on who you talked to there, it seems like it would not matter if you were not buying the Republic Gunship or the 12" Luke/Taun Taun or Mace Windu!

Sinister Lord
11-04-2002, 08:09 AM
I picked mine up at my local TRU on Sunday morning at about 10:30am. They appeared to have plenty of them in cases behind the service desk. I was able to buy a bunch of figures (adding up to just over 20 bucks) that I hadn't bought yet, so things worked out just fine for me.

They actually had distributed five or six R2 figures to each of the cashiers, so I didn't end up having to go to the service counter at all. The cashier just scanned it and put it in my bag. No problem.

I noticed several other people picking up Star Wars items so they could get their R2 units as well. So the word was certainly out about this deal. I'm glad I went early. :)

SplFrcsCWO
11-04-2002, 08:00 PM
I saw a pic of an R2 that had bronze highlights (in addition to the silver and blue). Did anyone get an R2 that had these highlights? Mine are silver and blue only.

Beast
11-04-2002, 08:23 PM
The Bronze you saw was likely a reflection from the surroundings that the figure was in when the flash went off. Similar to the people that think there is a purple-silver Toy Fair Vader. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
11-04-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The Bronze you saw was likely a reflection from the surroundings that the figure was in when the flash went off. Similar to the people that think there is a purple-silver Toy Fair Vader. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I DO have the purple/silver Toyfair Vader so it's real. I also have a bronze R2 and the vintage rocket-firing boba fett!!!:crazed: j/k of course! :)

YA...RIGHT! :D :crazed:

SplFrcsCWO
11-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Really? That's good to know. Thanks.

mark2d2
11-05-2002, 12:39 AM
Monday Night, Folks. And I was still able to get mine even here in LA. At two stores even. Get out and get, it's not too late.

It's a great little piece.

QLD
11-05-2002, 02:15 AM
I picked mine up tonight.

They didn't have much, but I picked up an X-Wing, Ki-Adi Mundi, Padme pilot, and TA Anakin.

They didn't scan mine, I had to go to the service counter after I paid for it, and they just handed it to me.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-05-2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Monday Night, Folks. And I was still able to get mine even here in LA. At two stores even. Get out and get, it's not too late.

It's a great little piece.

Isn't he COOL! I'm glad I went, I just wish I coulda gotten more but I couldn't spend TOO much :)

mark2d2
11-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Yeah, this artoo is a nifty little idea. And I LOVE the retro look of the packaging.

Bravo Hasbro!

mrmiller
11-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Has it ben confirmed that more R2's will be shipping to TRU's? I've seen people post that they can't wait until the next shipment, but my TRU's said that once they were gone, that's it- they are not getting any more. Any news?

=MATT=

Obi-wedge
11-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Got mine from tru.com today.....mint condition!!

Thunderstorm1
11-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Mine too came in MINT condition. Received it yesterday along with my new favorite figure EPHANT MON. He is just awesome!!!