PDA

View Full Version : Show me the beasties Hasbro, show me the beasties...

Jargo
10-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Okay so maybe I'm a little hasty posting this thread but with all the listings for upcoming stuff and most of it pretty likely to show at some point next year, I was wondering about the deluxe and beast assortments. Hasbro did a flamin' excellent job on the beasts for AOTC so far and I want to know what they've got lined up for 2003.
I can see the remaining beasts being Orray, Aiwha and Shaak. The Orray is a no brainer as to what it should pack with and how, The Aiwha should also pack with figure. The Shaak is a dumb inclusion since it's not very useful apart from having Anakin ride it bucking bronco stylee. But surely there will be beasts next year?
I'd like to see at least the first two at some point. That would be something at least. But then there's other beasts like the Tauntaun, Wampa, Eopie etc. that could be repackaged to meet the demands of many collectors who were unable to obtain them to begin with. I've not seen any beast sit on shelves apart from the woefully bad and useless and pointless Opee. Beasts always do well for themselves. To not continue releasing them seems daft.
I started a thread in the dear hasbro section to talk about it all but i thought mentioning it here too was justifiable since there's been no talk of beasts in the starting line up for next year.
Similarly the deluxe line has been sidelined in discussions. Apart from the dwarf spider droid there's little been said. I saw the rumor of a super battle droid builder pack being a deluxe set so that would be two. But where's the Hasbro comments on all of this, they must have something to say even if it's just a mooted plan and not a definite. Some news is better than no news.

Banthaholic
10-27-2002, 06:30 PM
Thought this might help some people

Orray
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/orray/index.html

Aiwha
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/aiwha/index.html

Shaak
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/shaak/index.html

Val Da Car
10-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the links...I thought the Shaak was another creature related to Shaak Ti!!!

phew!!!

Chiesa
10-27-2002, 08:03 PM
That quite a cool idea Jargo. Well, I think all 3 of them warrant an issue in a deluxe beast pack! :) Perhaps the least obvious choice of the 3 would be the Aiwha as it was featured more as a "beast" that made the background of the scene better and made kamino more mysterious. I thought the Shaak would be a cool idea and maybe it could come with a Padme and Anakin pack. I think Padme looked babelicious in her blue gown. :crazed: The Orray woud be another one of those which would most likely be released of the 3... The deluxe is a no brainer of what it should be packed with.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Beast
10-27-2002, 08:11 PM
For the Shaak, all they have to do is hide a big magnet in the back of the Shaak, and then you can use your "Force-Flipping Anakin" to ride on it's back. Heck, they could make it a two-pack and retool the Anakin slightly, to get rid of the saber in his hand, and the horrible face. ;) :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
10-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Blue gown? Padme was in her peasant gown in the meadow (see picture). But, as I love the gown, I'd rather have a decent carded one to ensure maximum effort. I honestly don't think a Shaak would sell well at all, and it would be left at clearance for those completists who want a Shaak for their astroid scene and their Geonosis attack scene. If ILM can't take the creature seriously, then why should we?

The Aiwha can be an electronic-motion beast (to make for nice smooth but fun wings). The Kaminoan can be worked in as a mechanism, with a button release (to get him from huddled to full sitting position). I personally think the short Aiwha clip from the "Clone War" trailer should be used for a sound byte if they go that route. It's more haunting than the annoying cry that it ended up with.

The Orray is a nice set, though, if it gets more articulation than the Nexu or Massiff. Triple-articulated limbs for running or guarding poses, and a ball-jointed neck and a modest joint at the mouth. No battle-damaged Geonosian, just a neutral sitting one with a long prodding staff.

I don't know though. Sometimes I wish Hasbro would stop with the rehashes and do something unique. Instead of 83% Cantina rehash, Walmart could have received a Senate set builder, with pieces of Palpatine's office and a Senator, concluding with Ronet Coorr and Obi-Wan Kenobi hologram w/ stand.

I don't know, maybe Hasbro considers Ephant Mon to be enough of an incentive to continue churning out uninspired product.

Chiesa
10-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Blue gown? Padme was in her peasant gown in the meadow (see picture). But, as I love the gown, I'd rather have a decent carded one to ensure maximum effort. I honestly don't think a Shaak would sell well at all, and it would be left at clearance for those completists who want a Shaak for their astroid scene and their Geonosis attack scene. If ILM can't take the creature seriously, then why should we?

Oh my, what an error I made about Padme's gown. It just totally slipped my mind :) Thanks for pointing out the error. My point is I think Natalie looked great in all her various gowns!

Lord Tenebrous
10-27-2002, 08:56 PM
A point that Hasbro has sorely underestimated.

We got a mediocre Princess Leia collection. Can't they at least redeem themselves with two-packs of great new sculpts in a Padme Amidala collection?

I know, off-topic, but then again, you can consider some of us beasts when it comes to female beauty. :D

Tycho
10-27-2002, 09:18 PM
My Arena Battle Diorama lacks Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme for one good reason:

I need the Orray! I'm waiting to put them in with Padme riding the beastie and Anakin slashing droids from the cart as she pulls him along.

I was wrong: this has nothing to do with why I don't put Obi-Wan in the scene already, but anyway...

The Kaminoan creature looks great too! I'd buy it.

JarJar: you have a great idea about a resculpt of the Deluxe Anakin made with the magnets allowing him to ride the Shaak. The Playskool Arena set works that way so that Anakin or even Mace can ride the Reek - so Hasbro's already successfully implimented this use of the magnets before.

I don't necessarily need a Shaak, but I want Padme in her meadows outfit, and I'd buy the Shaak to put with an Anakin figure and her to make the scene work in any event.

But while I want two of them, I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE the Orray. It would be better for me if it came with a new, non-pre-posed Padme in white (ripped this time) instead of the Geonosian. If the Picador is significantly different from the Geonosian Warrior figures, then OK. Otherwise, I prefer Padme of course!

JangoFart
10-27-2002, 09:40 PM
I always called that Shaak thing the buttosaurus. Beastie got back!

Guess I was wrong....

J

Chiesa
10-28-2002, 03:15 AM
How about the Orray with a carriage and a Genossian with one of those metal poles/spears would be kewl!!! I think this would be a must for Genosian dioramas!! Something that Tycho would love!

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

JEDIpartner
10-28-2002, 12:58 PM
I'm all for new beasties... except for the buttosaurus... I mean, the Shaak. Imagine what it wold be like if THAT guy blew a stinky into Jar Jar's face! :D

Jargo
10-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Now stupid as the thing looks, I'd probably end up buying a herd of Shaaks. I like the stupidity factor. The fact it looks so bad makes it good. Like Lava lamps and disco really, so bad they're good, infectious. I wouldn't buy so many if it came with another stupid Anakin though. I'm totally sick of the sight of Anakin already. I'd rather have Anakin as an asteroid than a Shaak so i could blow him up with one of Jango's sonic missiles.
Let's not forget that hasbro culd retool the Dewback for a prequel appearance, or the Bantha. Both have been seen wandering round Mos Espa. Give them new saddles and bridles and pack them with alien traders, or any trader come to think of it. Both beasts also pulled pods into the arena in TPM. There's a herd of wild Bantha in ROTJ so it could be packaged without a saddle or with a removable one, with a Bantha calf........ sorry that's wishful thinking on my part there.
But definately a yes to any and all beasts. I'll buy the lot.

Prince Xizor
10-28-2002, 04:14 PM
I think a new Dewback would be cool, especially if it had a harness for pulling in a pod. (Like that's gonna ever happen.)

JEDIpartner
10-28-2002, 04:51 PM
We ALL wish for greatness from Hasblah!

Bib Forlobster
10-28-2002, 07:58 PM
I wish they would re-release the Rancor. I passed on it the first time(didn't really have the $ at the time to spend on it) and am regretting it now. They could leave that Luke out to reduce the cost.

How about the Sarlaac Pit? Wouldn't that qualify as a legitimate beast? I think the could do alot with that one and it would also be a good playset for a future Jabba Sailbarge? Anyone agree?

Lord Tenebrous
10-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Sarlaac pit is kinda touchy, since fans are split over the SE additions. I personally like just the pit itself, not the CG plant thing.

I suppose another deluxe playset could be done, with an new Nikto or Barada or such, and a few lever-controlled tentacles flailing out of the pit. Since the skiffs are scaled slightly, it should fit the size requirements.

JediCole
10-31-2002, 03:02 PM
Well, those who have seen my posts in the past know that I am silly for the beasties! And this thread speaks to me like few others.

The Shaak, though seemingly undesireable at first glance would be a worthwhile beast, if a tough sell. Personally I think we could do without the figure pack-ins and it seems (with the Acklay and the Reek) that Hasbro is in agreement. More accuratly I should say that I am opposed to pointless figure pack-ins (as we saw with the Opee for example). What is called for here is in fact three levels of Beast Packs.

Level 1 - Basic. This would be the pervue of beasts that have (or need) no rider or pack-in figure. Good examples of this would be the aforementioned Shaak and the Ikopi from E1's Naboo swamps.

Level 2 - Beast Pack. Figure pack-ins distinguish this line from the above. This is the pervue of the Aiwha. Another good choice would be a re-release of the Kaadu with a refit of the saddle to accomodate three giant feathers and a Captain Tarpals with jointed legs to sit astride. Remove the "leg moving" mechanism in favor of a beast that can stand on its own two feet. The Orray fits nicely into this level with a Geonosian picador with spear to ride on its back (but not the only version of the Orray to be made, see below).

Level 3 - Deluxe. This is for the big guys or those beasts that have too much in the accessory/pack-in department. A second Orray (perhaps with a different head or other, better features) would be a great fit for this line. It would come with the chariot and a driver (remember him?). This would spare us unnecessary rehashes of Amidala or Anakin, though perhaps they could be included as well to help add value. Other Deluxe beastie choices are a (larger) Falumpaset with the throne-howdah and a seated Boss Nass figure (also useful for his audience chamber), and the much demanded Jabba the Hutt with throne, arch, and bbq brazier (and the Wol Caba****e).

And of course, I cannot help but push for a set that contains an assortment of smaller beasts, ideally each with articulation (for most). This set would fit nicely in with the Basic line. It could could feature Scurriers, Nuna, Peko-Peko, Swamp Flyer, Mynok, Nuna, Massif, Mott, perhaps some Naboo fishes (on translucent stands like the current cam-droids, Sith probes, and Interrogation Droids that are used as pack-ins), and even some snakes to take up residence in Yoda's swamp.

Finally, I would like to make a hopeful note to Hasbro in regard to the Aiwha. Please do not over-gimic or over do the wings. Hasbro has a tendency to use a mix of plastic and cloth for wings (as in the Jurassic Park pteranadons) which makes them look more like machines than animals. Please do something akin to the pectral fins on the Opee with a good range of motion joint. That way wings can pivot. Also, this beast would do well to come with either a translucent or a "wave-like" stand for display in addition to its diminutive Kaminian rider.

Jargo
10-31-2002, 03:49 PM
I think rubber with bendy metal strips inside for the Aiwha would be better. Solid rubber body with three areas of metal bendage, neck, and the two wings. The lower jaw would open and close the same as the Massive or Ephant mon. Sure it'd be pretty heavy but if you could bend the wings how you wanted them it'd make for a fantastic display piece and also be cool to play with. Give it a removable saddle assemblage so it could be used in Bespin displays as a native Thranta. Pack in the kaminoan rider already hunched for riding simply as a large accessory more than a practical figure. If the rider needs articulating then give him a bending waist and neck so he can realy crouch over, that and arms to grip the saddle or reigns. Simple and effective. Pack the beast with a nice wave display stand. It's not a massive beast so it could be possible that way.

The Orray should come with the execution cart and the rider. It's such a small beast it could pack as a deluxe even if it contained all three elements. Looka t what we got with deluxe luke in bacta tank. If hasbro can do that they can pack this one right.