PDA

View Full Version : Trick-or-Treaters RULE ! ! !

2-1B
10-27-2002, 04:24 PM
'Round these parts the kids always "trick or treat" on the Sunday afternoon before Halloween. :)

I just contributed to the bags of another round of scamps, I love it!

I also love the excuse to help myself to the dish from which I pass :D

Boba Rhett
10-27-2002, 04:27 PM
The hell? You should only trick or treat ON Halloween I say! People will start trick or treating in July soon I bet. :D

derek
10-27-2002, 04:31 PM
would it be wrong to get on my roof and throw eggs and spray kids down with the waterhose on halloween? it seems to me kids these days have halloween much too easy and have no concept what-so-ever of the words, "Trick or Treat". it's almost like candy welfare. they just go around and open their sacks and expect free candy. i say, if they want any candy from me, maybe this year they should work for it.

technically, if i don't give candy away, i'm subject to burning poop, tolite paper in the trees, eggings of my car and house, so maybe turning the tables wouldn't be so wrong?

LTBasker
10-27-2002, 05:35 PM
And of course it's always sad when they go out during the daytime instead of nighttime, it's based around darkness, not lightness, they're just getting too soft. :rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-27-2002, 07:19 PM
The only time I ever see trick-o-treaters on a night other than Halloween, is Oct. 30, the night before, AKA "Devil's" or "Mischief Night." And I rarely see any come out on that night anymore. We used to get a few kids that night who said that they were attending Halloween Parties the next night, and thus could not trick-or-treat.

originally posted by derek
technically, if i don't give candy away, i'm subject to burning poop, tolite paper in the trees, eggings of my car and house, so maybe turning the tables wouldn't be so wrong?

You know, I've been subjected to the same stuff too lately, and I give away stuff on Halloween! Generously!

If this keeps up, then no one will get the pennies I always hand out! :D

Exhaust Port
10-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Most of our local communites have changed to night time trick-or-treat hours. I wasn't that lucky as a kid and had mine during the middle of the day which isn't nearly as much fun. Of course this year was an exception as the town that I lived in did it in the middle of the afternoon yesterday. I have no idea why they changed but it was kind of disappointing.

I too am guilty of taking more than I should from the candy bowl when handing out the goods. It's just one of those great adult perks I guess.

EricRG
10-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Hey LBC, by my sources, RFK didn't say "Some men see..." but George Bernard Shaw. My source is a poster I have right over my computer that attributes that quote to GBS.

mabudonicus
10-28-2002, 08:09 AM
Up here, I've never lived in a large enough town to have had to endure daytime trick or treating. I have seen snow t-o-t-ing, however, and it's gonna be a frosty one this year, probably down around zero..... I totally love giving treats to the young ones, and some of the older ones (not too old) are pretty funny too, the ones are borderline "too old", but just wanna squeeze one more year out of it.... Heck, I don't care how old someone is, if they're dressed right up and having fun, that's what it's all about.... if the flow of trick or treaters starts to die down early, I'll don my jar jar mask and head out to annoy my buddies and neighbors, trying to get some last minute goodies (I don't like really any candy, but hey, it's the principle of the thing, right:)?)
Yeah, halloween is possibly the best day out of all the ones highlighted on the calendar.....
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-28-2002, 10:06 AM
Oh, i remember the good ole' days of Halloween. Trick or Treating around the hood, at night nonetheless. The fun and joy of it all and especially how you felt like crap the next day after eating bowls of candy.

As the years went on, i got more mishevious and started doing stuff which caused more than one foot chases with the police. The last time i was home for Halloween, my friend and I dressed up as scarecrows and sat on the porch with bowls of candy. When kids came up to us, they thought we weren't real and the scream they would let out when we would grab their hand would be gold. I think i need to go back and start doing more mischevious things, just for old times sake. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-28-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
Hey LBC, by my sources, RFK didn't say "Some men see..." but George Bernard Shaw. My source is a poster I have right over my computer that attributes that quote to GBS.

Actually, the quote was made famous by Teddy Kennedy, during the euology of RFK. RFK did end a lot of his speeches this way, especially during his presidential campaign trail, but it was Ted's speech at St. Patrick's in NY that made that quote stick. I am not denying that GBS did say it, but the quote is in perfect context considering the life that RFK lead.

So did anyone in their younger days of trick-or-treating receive toothbrushes or Christian literature in lieu of candy?

2-1B
10-29-2002, 03:04 AM
I bet Teddy has dreamed of many things that never were over the years . . . :D

"If he's such a ladies' man, why does it take him 9 hours to open a car door?"
--Dennis Miller--

James Boba Fettfield
10-29-2002, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't call it Christian literature that I got. It was more like Nazi Propaganda. Stories about the Devil's birthday being celebrated on Halloween, and devil worshippers renting a cabin so they could sacrifice a cat and a bunch of other crazy crap that had nothing to do with Halloween. Ask Lord Malakite about it, he was collecting them for a bit, though I am not sure why.

Lord Malakite
10-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Ask Lord Malakite about it, he was collecting them for a bit, though I am not sure why.

Actually, I still have them. :D

2-1B
10-30-2002, 04:24 AM
Yeah, there've been some loons running around here spewing that garbage about the history of Halloween. :rolleyes:

All kids care about is having FUN. It's FUN to dress up and go around collecting free candy. It's FUN to buy candy to give to the youngsters.

So what the hell does that have to do with decapitating goats while fellating the devil? :confused:

Honestly, there are some sick people out there and I feel bad for the kids of these stiffs. There should be a litmus test; if you will not allow your children to celebrate Halloween you should be banned from procreating. :)

James Boba Fettfield
10-30-2002, 08:54 AM
I was just as confused as you were about those story books. Seriously, they were drawn like mini comics in black and white. I think I saw two or three different ones. They always made Halloween look bad, and they always ended with the kids in the story paying the price of God's wrath for celebrating Halloween. If I wasn't at Ohio State right now, I would get those these scanned to show you what I mean by them.

JediTricks
11-01-2002, 04:24 PM
2 sets of trick-or-treaters all night! What a washout, and we got them giant lemonheads (individually wrapped) and mini Nestle crunch bars. Sucks to live in apartment buildings come Oct 31st.

And the poor kids were too shy to yell "trick or treat" this year, I guess hearing about how you're not supposed to talk to strangers because of all the bad things happening has taken its toll on Halloween. Too bad too because I really liked the pumpkins I carved (a big angry face, and 2 mini-pumpkins, one that said "BOO!" and the other was a tiny jack-o-lantern) and hoped they'd entice more trick-or-treaters to come up and get candy.

derek
11-01-2002, 04:54 PM
we had quite a few little ones visit for candy last night. on a whim, i pulled out my darth vader helmet(the big one, not the rinky-dink, small crappy plastic one);) , slapped on my long black robe and handed out candy as darth vader himself. or actually as he would look if he were relaxing after a day of jedi slaying, wearing a black house-coat, jeans and house-shoes.:crazed:

i think quite a few folks actually enjoyed seeing ol' vader open the front door.:) and mostly the parents, in the 30-35 age range got a big kick out of it. one parent said he almost dressed as obi wan.:)

one kid, dressed as a jedi asked where my "soward" was, and one little girl, who looked about 7 said, "who are you supposed to be?" i never thought i'd meet someone who didn't know who darth vader was.:rolleyes:

2-1B
11-02-2002, 12:15 AM
derek, did Jake Lloyd come over and ask about your "laser soward" ? :crazed:

plasticfetish
11-02-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I wouldn't call it Christian literature that I got. It was more like Nazi Propaganda. Stories about the Devil's birthday being celebrated on Halloween, and devil worshippers renting a cabin so they could sacrifice a cat and a bunch of other crazy crap that had nothing to do with Halloween. Ask Lord Malakite about it, he was collecting them for a bit, though I am not sure why.

That's really funny. I used to collect those little books too. I'd had a bunch from when I was a kid and then I'd find others planted around my college campus sometimes. They are fun to read.

Halloween day ... I walked into my 5 year old son's kindergarten class ... and the cutest little girl in the world looked up at me and said in an excited voice, "Today's the Devil's birthday!" I laughed and thought, wow ... that's pretty funny from a 5 year old ... and then I realized she wasn't goofing on me. I stopped myself before I asked her if she'd gotten "him" a card or if she knew how old he was. "Happy Halloween sweetheart."

Trick-or-Treating in our neighborhood is pretty good really. We moved into this tract house community a little over a year ago. The local kids go out right after sun down and do their thing and then an hour or two later kids from outlying neighborhoods wander in and make their rounds. I can't tell you how many sad looking little Jedi I saw this year ... it was pretty funny.

Exhaust Port
11-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Those books sound like a hoot.

derek
11-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
derek, did Jake Lloyd come over and ask about your "laser soward" ? :crazed:

that's just what i was thinking. only the younger generation (and i guess lucas) would call it that.:crazed: