PDA

View Full Version : Are you dressing as a Star Wars Character for Halloween?

Tycho
10-28-2002, 01:18 AM
This is a timely poll for October's bewitching holiday:

Who are you going as for Halloween?

Is it a store-bought, custom-ordered, or home-made costume?

What kinds of accessories are you carrying? (i.e. Parks Sabers, Master Replicas, Hasbro or Rubies weapons?)

Is this a costume you only recently got for Halloween 2002, or do you wear this costume to conventions like the Star Wars Celebrations?

Do you wear your costume within a group of friends who will dress as other Star Wars characters?

Can you post a picture of your 2002 Halloween? Let's collect them here!:)

From all of us at SirStevesGuide.com : HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

bigbarada
10-28-2002, 01:37 AM
I'm not dressing up for Halloween, if I did though, I probably wouldn't choose a Star Wars character to dress up as. I would probably go more for the D&D half-orc look, I've already got the face, all I need is the tusks and clothes.;)

I'm actually getting sick of seeing all the photos of fan made costumes out there, since most of them are total crap. Some people just have no common sense when choosing a character to dress up as, either. Like a pic I saw of a guy who couldn't have been lighter than 300 pounds in a nearly skin-tight flight suit, with this itty-bitty TIE Pilot helmet on. I mean, come on, look in the mirror before you go outside!:frus: My brother is building a TIE Pilot outfit, but he plans to lose some weight before he even thinks about wearing it in public. Wise move.

Anyways, my nephews are going as a Clonetrooper and Obi-Wan Kenobi for Halloween. My brother bought them costumes from Wal-Mart.

jedihunter25
10-28-2002, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I'm going as a Stormtrooper again this year. I think it's the third time in a row, but after you pay almost $900 you don't really care how many Halloween's you use it. There are some disavantages to this armor though- like taking 1/2 an hour to put it on, replacing velcro straps, polishing the armor, trying to get in and out of my Corvette, driving the Vette, and trying not to guzzle down too many beers- EVER TRY TAKING A LEAK WHILE WEARING A STORMTROOPER COSTUME? I'll post some pics later on during the week!!- and no, not of me demonstrating on how to take a leak in a Stormtrooper costume.

bigbarada
10-28-2002, 01:59 AM
Why didn't you vote 'yes' in the poll, jedihunter25?:confused:

Where did you get your stormtrooper outfit from?

jedihunter25
10-28-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Why didn't you vote 'yes' in the poll, jedihunter25?:confused:

Where did you get your stormtrooper outfit from?

I've been having trouble with voteing in the polls the last couple weeks- I even started a thread on it for myself and others on how to correct this problem but no luck yet:( .

As far as my Stormtrooper costume- I bought it off of Ebay for around $600 ($525,$30 for neck piece +$75 s/h) three years ago. That was just for the armor. I had to buy the boots ($125), gloves, gun, black body suit, paint, and accessories to put it together. I think the guy I bought it from has his own website- costumejunkie.com He also has Darth Vader parts too.

Tycho
10-28-2002, 03:49 AM
I added your vote manually. I don't know why you are having trouble voting. I have had trouble getting e-mail notification that someone has responded to a thread I've subscribed to. I don't get those anymore - ever since we changed our hosting server for the forums.

Meanwhile, I guess you shouldn't drink alcohal - or water and soda (which will also go through you quickly) while wearing stormtrooper armor. The costume's worth much more than the six-pack.

Meanwhile, you also shouldn't drink and drive, especially drink and drive a corvette while wearing stormtrooper armor! If you think the police will punish you for not being safe this Halloween - just imagine what the Empire will do to you!

*This message wasn't directed towards JediHunter specifically, but to everyone in hoping they have a safe Halloween so that they can return to the boards and WANT to post their pictures up here!

Rogue II
10-28-2002, 06:47 AM
I think I was Darth Vader for Halloween back in 77 or 78, but I haven't dressed up like a Star Wars character since. I was almost Han Solo one year, but decided to go as Paul Stanley instead.

There are some large fanboys that should really consider what they wear in public. When I saw ATOC in the theater, there were some 300+ pounders wearing Jedi attire carrying toy lightsabers. They looked silly.

jedi-cpa
10-28-2002, 07:41 AM
Luke and Chewy (the old plasticc costumes , wish I had saves them) and once a home made darth vadert, cardboard helmet and all.

However, I would dress as a stormtrooper if I had the armor, but I just can't bring myself to spend the $$$$.

Also, If yo uare a fat guy, you should only go as porkins! That is it. I don't want to see any more "ooze" coming out from between stormtrooper armor.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I'm actually getting sick of seeing all the photos of fan made costumes out there, since most of them are total crap. Some people just have no common sense when choosing a character to dress up as, either. Like a pic I saw of a guy who couldn't have been lighter than 300 pounds in a nearly skin-tight flight suit, with this itty-bitty TIE Pilot helmet on. I mean, come on, look in the mirror before you go outside!:frus: My brother is building a TIE Pilot outfit, but he plans to lose some weight before he even thinks about wearing it in public. Wise move.

HILARIOUS!

I know what you are talking about! I think sometimes starwars actually ruins the brains of some folk to the point that they actually think they live in "a galaxy far, far away!" and therefore forget all other common sense traits, like a "quick look in the mirror" to check for human presentability. I'm one for "each to their own" but sometimes people are just ASKING FOR IT!!!!! :crazed:

jedi master sal
10-28-2002, 11:48 AM
I plan on going to the Darkside this year. I am going to be the Emperor.

I normally dress as a Jedi. My fiancee made the costume for me for the EPI premiere and I use it for convention and my local SW club's meetings and activites.

Technically I won't be wearing the costume on Halloween but rather for the AOTC premiere at the Pittsburgh IMAX. My club has the honor along with the 501st of "sponsoring" the premiere. Basically we will be ticket takers, security, giving away the #0 Bantha Tracks give-away. (yes that's the freebie, confirmed), taking pictures among other fun things.

I am a tentative (squire) member of the 501st (The club into Imperial costuming) and with my arrival as the Emperor will be officially inducted as a full member.

My fiancee instead will wear my Jedi robes and either be a Twi Lek Jedi or a Zabrak Jedi. Not sure but since time is running out I think the Zabrak will be the easiest.

I am fully into the costuming thing and feel it's just another facet of SW life that helps me bond closer to it and other fans.

Happy Halloween, MTFBWY!

Tycho
10-28-2002, 01:21 PM
First, I think you some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

While I myself lean more towards a skinny person, I know first hand that going to the gym every day is a hard habit to form, and many other people have special challenges and difficulties maintaining a certain weight or appearance.

However, no one who likes Star Wars should be discouraged from having fun and dressing up in costume!

That's just being cruel to too many people, older - not to mention younger - to make them feel more discomfort at not having the ideal body type. I agree they should get into shape or seek medical / surgical assistance in doing so, but that cannot be accomplished before October 31 and may not be affordable for them before Celebration 3.

So why are you raining on their parade if they want to fantasize they are an Imperial Officer or a Jedi Knight? They aren't the real deal - these are fictional characters. Say they are going as a Navy Seal or Desert Storm Veteran - or even a Trekker as a Starfleet Officer: there are a lot of people who cannot qualify for the military or the space program and ARE in shape. Even if an olympic athlete dresses as a Navy Seal (and could feasibly qualify for the real deal) they are wearing a fantasy costume for the same reasons a real Navy Seal might dress as an Imperial Officer for Halloween. You'd hope the latter knows the difference between fun and reality and doesn't try to use their professional weapons like they're playing with the Death Star!

So ease up on people who do not conform to 'movie star body types' -because that's why George Lucas hires movie stars (movie extras) to play these parts and Robin Gurland doesn't do casting calls at Jenny Craig Centers!

Lastly, I'll admit that people, especially our ladies, should take a little more restraint in choosing whether they are the body-types for the Slave Leia or Arena-Damage Padme costumes, as those styles reveal deliberate quantities of skin - quantities which are supposed to be limited by the costume, and not over-expose' by the diameter ;) If you want to wear one of these costumes, I suggest you make it a goal now to be able to fit into this style NEXT year, or the year after, and work towards it.

But in general, if most people are dressing up as an Imperial Officer, Clone Trooper, or Jedi Knight, give them some slack for their body type and all-due-appreciation for the effort they put into creating their costume.

Meanwhile, of course the Rebel Alliance, the Ewok Warriors, the Gungan Army, the Twi'lek Diplomatic Service, Dexter's Diner, Jabba the Hutt's Slave Services and many other facets of the Star Wars Universe accept and display examples of many heroes and villains alike, who are of many different body types. Jek Porkins is perhaps only the most famous heavy-weight hero.

Hasn't anyone thought of going out as the Reek or the Nexu? There's another idea.

I myself don't yet own a Star Wars costume and I think my work in this year's elections will force me to resign from going to Halloween parties this year and I'll have to wait a year before I delve into this. So I totally envy anyone who has the opportunity to dress up, feel free, and have fun!

No one should be embarrassed for posting their picture here and everyone should be glad to see our fellow fans having a good time. So everyone go on and have a Happy Halloween!

scruffziller
10-28-2002, 01:39 PM
I don't celebrate Beelzebub's holiday.

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

HILARIOUS!

I know what you are talking about! I think sometimes starwars actually ruins the brains of some folk to the point that they actually think they live in "a galaxy far, far away!" and therefore forget all other common sense traits, like a "quick look in the mirror" to check for human presentability. I'm one for "each to their own" but sometimes people are just ASKING FOR IT!!!!! :crazed:

HEE HA HA HEE HA HA:D

YEA!!!!!! Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons comes to mind in the THE FLASH costume. My friend who I have spoke of (and if you click on my Custom Magic Card link below to see The Guardian card you will get a picture of him) that weighs nearly 400 pounds, had a typical outfit. He played the SW role playing game and went as his SW character which was a Dark Jedi. He bought one of those cheap Grim Reaper costumes at WAL MART as his cloak. The thing barely fit him and it was stretched tight over his gelatenous form. He is only 5'6" and the thin nylon-like cloth was dragging on the ground. It was sad. You never see these folks playing an actual "FAT" SW character like a Hutt or Droopy McCool.
Heck they won't even acknowlede that they look like Jek Porkins in a X-Wing pilot outfit, its always Luke or Wedge. Pathetic and gutbustingly laughable.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 01:57 PM
I would like to clarify that I was not speaking of anyone's weight, I was speaking soley of home-made costumes and people who dress crazily! :p

As I read the post, I had one person in mind that I always think of...we called him the crazy scientist. We saw this man everyday on the Ferry to and from work and let me tell you, it was like he came right out of a movie....he wore (not always, but often) two different shoes, half of his shirt untucked, baggy trousers and his hair was literally a foot tall in all directions, just like Einstein but taller. And this guy had money too, as the Island was a small place and everybody knew everybody's business, so it's not like he couldn't afford clothes or get his hair cut. So like I said in my above post, some people are just asking for a bit more scrutiny than others but not because of their weight!!!

Weight has no significance to me whatsoever! I love short, tall, large, thin, skeletal, rotund, etc. as I myself am sporting a bit of a belly since I quite smoking about a year ago and being a woman, that is THE hardest area to get rid of the weight! God forbid that just because you are overweight people think you shouldn't be able to dress up, but there are ways of doing it so that you can look your absolute best! Anybody, any weight can dress like crap yet anybody any weight can dress well, whether it be a costume or for everyday life.

I personally hate spandex and I don't like seeing ANYONE in it...NO ONE! It doesn't leave enough to the imagination and pretty much whoever is wearing it, well basically you are seeing them naked, just with different colored skin! :) :crazed:

scruffziller
10-28-2002, 02:06 PM
I probably should have quoted bigbarada moreso but since you were commenting on his I just decided to use your post. About the weight thing, I am 300 pounds myself, but I would never put on a costume that would try to be someone else if it was visually repulsive because of my weight. The thing that is funny here is the denial people try to obtain and push the envelope.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I probably should have quoted bigbarada moreso but since you were commenting on his I just decided to use your post. About the weight thing, I am 300 pounds myself, but I would never put on a costume that would try to be someone else if it was visually repulsive because of my weight.

I think we posted at the same time, 'cause I didn't see yours until just now :eek: DOH!

Originally posted by scruffziller

The thing that is funny here is the denial people try to obtain and push the envelope.

and that goes for spandex sporting people! It outta be outlawed I tell ya...outlawed! :)

scruffziller
10-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

and that goes for spandex sporting people! It outta be outlawed I tell ya...outlawed! :)

Except for hot women who would put it to good use.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2002, 04:24 PM
I'm being Anakin, home-made costume (except for the Hasbro braid, belt, and saber). I don't have a digital camera but I might be able to get pics on soon, however the costume's not even started!!! :D

c_richards
10-28-2002, 04:56 PM
I'll be going as Jedi Knight Nas-Ric Tenretni.
I've been a Jedi Knight for the past 4 years. The costume is home made. My mom sewed the cloak/robe by customizing one of the patterns deisgned for religious icons. She made the sleeves longer and wider.

The main tunic was a Karate Gee that we dyed and tweaked a bit, then I wear a pair of sand colored pants, and spats to look like brown knee high boots.

Ever since I was a young kid, I have had a home-made costume. I've been:
A Jawa
Tusken Raider
Jedi Knight
Luke Skywalker
Darth Vader

Non Star Wars Characters
E.T.
Sylvester the Cat
Batman

I could go on and on. My mom is an exceptionally talented woman! She can look at a character and make the costume (like the Tusken Raider). She looked at the 12" Doll, felt the fabric, and then with in a month, I had my own Tusken Raider costume. Only thing missing was a Gaffi Stick. :)

Happy Halloween everyone, and STAY SAFE

Until the next time....
MTFBWY!

Jangu Fett
10-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Taking my son Luke out, he's going out as Boba Fett from AOTC. My wife did a nice job on his costume. I'm getting in costume to take him around. I'm going as Boba's father, Jango. This was Luke's idea, I was going to go as Obi-Wan again.

Battle Droid
10-28-2002, 06:27 PM
No, I'm to old for Halloween.

Bib Forlobster
10-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Tycho, I want to thank you for defending the rights of those who choose to wear what they want.

I'm 6'2" and weigh 200 pounds. Now, thanks to everyone's support I can hold my head high as I slip into my Salacious Crumb outfit and go about my daily business.

Screw the neighbors if they can't appreciate seeing a Kowakian monkey-lizard take out the garbage!!!

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Bib Forlobster

I'm 6'2" and weigh 200 pounds. Now, thanks to everyone's support I can hold my head high as I slip into my Salacious Crumb outfit and go about my daily business.

Screw the neighbors if they can't appreciate seeing a Kowakian monkey-lizard take out the garbage!!!

:eek:

hehe...that's a funny post!:D

Aurra Sing's Undies
10-28-2002, 08:44 PM
Well I'm not actually, but my son is. To me, watching him dressed as a Clonetrooper will be the coolest Halloween ever. Bar none!

Tycho
10-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Jangu Fett
Taking my son Luke out, he's going out as Boba Fett from AOTC. My wife did a nice job on his costume. I'm getting in costume to take him around. I'm going as Boba's father, Jango. This was Luke's idea, I was going to go as Obi-Wan again.

I think that's great to see 2 generations of Star Wars fans enjoying this as a family!

There's so many possibilities for Star Wars fans as we have literally 3 generations of characters now!

Happy Halloween!

LusiferSam
10-29-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm going as a knight this year (medieval, not Jedi). I've been Jedi Luke three times since '96 ('96, '00, and '01) or something really close (most of the other years). Last year I thought about Darth Maul, but didn't want to deal with the make-up and didn't like most of the masks. Maybe next year I'll do Darth Vader, haven't done him since I was four.

JEDIpartner
10-29-2002, 12:17 PM
I'm passing out candy in my Jedi gear. I don't have to worry about looking like a dope because i am fit and I look like a star, dammit! :)

IG65
10-29-2002, 09:56 PM
I will be taking my sons out 'candy collecting' with all three of us dressed as Star Wars characters. My 5 year old will be Mace Windu (a contume he put together himself). His skin color will be off a bit, but he doesn't seem to mind. My 7 year old is going as Jango Fett. At his school they have to pick a 'halloween hero', someone who they look up to, and write a report on why that person is a hero to them. My son chose George Lucas. He wrote his report, but dressing up as George was going to be hard for a 7 year old to pull off, so we opted for a character that Lucas created, with a store bought costume. I'll be dressed as a Jedi Knight. My sister-in-law did the sewing (8 yards of brown blanket wool, 6 yards of loose weave silk and 2 yards of raw silk later and I owe her BIG TIME), I did the leather work for the belt and pouches (luckily I had boots left over from some rather bizarre years spent in college), and I built the light saber using a Graflex flash gun to make a replica of Luke's saber from ANH. I'll try to post pictures when I can.

Just a note about body size and costuming. I myself am sporting a spare tire ever since I quit smoking, and one of the things that inspired me to go down the Jedi costume route was seeing Spirit Anakin in his Jedi robes standing with Ben and Yoda at the end of TOTJ. There is no way you can call him sveldt!:crazed:

Happy Halloween everyone!

stillakid
10-29-2002, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately (and fortunately) I'll be busy at work this year while the kids go trick-or-treating.

But, as JediHunter says, when you pay a bundle for a suit, you're prone to use it over and over again.

So, even though I can't dress up this year, I'll live vicariously through this site and post a photo from last years outing. (That's my daughter next to me.)

It's a drag too, since I made some major improvements in the past few months. Oh well. There's always next year. :)

Tycho
10-30-2002, 01:19 AM
My Mouse Droid is going as a Jack'o'Lantern.

He's been a Star Wars character for Halloween almost all his life! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=101944)

jedihunter25
10-30-2002, 01:31 AM
That's cool!! Here's my Darth Maul Pumkin-

2-1B
10-30-2002, 03:49 AM
Great pic, stillakid. :)

When I was a kid I went as Admiral Ackbar one year - the store costume with a vinyl suit and plastic mask with eyeholes where his nostrils are. Damn I wish I had a pic of that year!
I fell off a porch while trick or treating and tore it up . . . the only time I wore it. :cry:

187-Maul
10-30-2002, 09:31 AM
looks great jedihunter !
I wish I had the time and patience to do a pumpkin like that

Pendo
10-30-2002, 11:10 AM
I won't be dressing up as a character for halloween. Part of the reason being that I don't have a costume, but mainly because halloween isn't as big over here as it is in America, etc. If I dressed up people would look at me and think "what a t*t" :rolleyes:!

I don't like sitting in waiting for trick or treaters to knock so I will probably be going out to the pictures or something :). But when I am in for Trick or Treaters I usualy hollow out two pumpkins, fill one with slime and the other with "candy". I then tell the trick or treaters to take a guess and stick their hands in one. They either get some "candy" or a hand full of slime :D!!!

PENDO!

OzOtter
11-07-2002, 03:55 PM
I don't get much from dressing up as SW characters anymore.

I did dress up for Hallowe'en though. It is a fantastic holiday and I had so much fun. I wish we did it back home in Australia.