PDA

View Full Version : Clonetroopers vs Stormtroopers. Who is cooler looking.

scruffziller
10-28-2002, 02:56 PM
CLONETROOPERS. There is just something about that new helmet that gives a commanding presence that the stormies didn't have.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-28-2002, 03:07 PM
I like stormtroopers much better! :)

In fact, I like all the characters from the orginal trilogy better. I dunno, I just don't like these new films half as much as the orginal. Maybe it's just because I'm old and set in my ways, but it seems that these new flicks are made entirely for commercial purposes (ie: making money) and GL has actually lost sight of the true story in exchange for "computer graphics" and notoriety for coming up with new technology! That "feeling" which was in the orginals just isn't anywhere in these new movies!

mini-rock
10-28-2002, 03:15 PM
I have to agree with you scruffziller, the Clonetroopers look much cooler than the Stormies. Also there is no doubt in my mind that the Clones from AOTC could wipe the floor with all the Stormies combined in Ep's 4-6.

JediTricks
10-28-2002, 06:35 PM
I'm with Deoxyribonucleic on this. Plus, I think the CloneTrooper armor looks too thin and wimpy and the helmet looks kinda dopey, someone described it as the "sad puppy" helmet... with a fin.

Battle Droid
10-28-2002, 06:38 PM
Clonetrooper, Stormtroopers get killed to easy.

LTBasker
10-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Clone Trooper looks cool, but realistically the Stormtroopers are much more awesome. They may be dumb and such, but their armor is alot more realistic and they've got original weapon designs instead of kitbashed.

Plus they weren't all CGI. ;)

187-Maul
10-28-2002, 07:11 PM
the clonetroopers look cool in their own kind of way but I still like the stormtroopers more
guess the OT still reflects too much on me:)

JesusFreak
10-28-2002, 07:39 PM
I love the Clonetroopers' helmets, so my vote goes to the clonies ;)

Lord Tenebrous
10-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
Clonetrooper, Stormtroopers get killed to easy.

Only because they weren't allowed to hit the main characters. :p The same with the battle droids in AOTC, they weren't allowed to hit the 'important' Jedi. So the impression of both are skewed by the writing.

But I love the Stormtrooper. When the Commtech Stormtrooper came out, I trembled with excitement (a whole peg at $1.97, too!). There's just something about the overall image, something that just doesn't translate over to the all-CG Clone Trooper.

jedihunter25
10-28-2002, 10:04 PM
I like them both- but the Stormtroopers gets my vote (they look more evil). When I first saw the Clone Trooper, it looked liked a Stormtrooper and Boba Fett got it on and this was the end result.

evenflow
10-29-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

In fact, I like all the characters from the orginal trilogy better. I dunno, I just don't like these new films half as much as the orginal. Maybe it's just because I'm old and set in my ways.

I hear what you are saying.

Rogue II
10-29-2002, 07:45 AM
I'm with Deoxyribonucleic as well.

It really comes down to their helmets, since the armor is pretty much the same. The Stormtrooper helmet looks mean and more skull-like. The Clonetrooper helmet is ok, since it is based off of Boba Jango Fett's mask, but it isn't nearly as menacing as the Stromtrooper.

scruffziller
10-29-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I'm with Deoxyribonucleic as well.

It really comes down to their helmets, since the armor is pretty much the same. The Stormtrooper helmet looks mean and more skull-like. The Clonetrooper helmet is ok, since it is based off of Boba Jango Fett's mask, but it isn't nearly as menacing as the Stromtrooper.

I think the Clonetroopers helmets make them look less human which to me is more intimidating. To a certain degree I think that footbal melmets make the players look more robotic-like.

Darkross
10-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Personally...I like the Stormtroopers better...although it was really cool to see the Clonetroopers on the good guys team! That was one of the biggest things I loved about AOTC...seeing the clonetroopers swoop-in with the gunships and completely wipeout all battle droids in the arena!

Pendo
10-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Stormtroopers by FAR, because Clonetroopers don't even exist, they're just a few million pixels on screen :rolleyes:!

Because I am a BIG hater of CGI I would have to say Stormtroopers, but even if the Clonetroopers were real actors I think my vote would still be the stormies :).

PENDO!

Deoxyribonucleic
10-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Stormtroopers by FAR, because Clonetroopers don't even exist, they're just a few million pixels on screen :rolleyes:!
PENDO!

That's how I feel about them too. They're just kinda cheesy lookin' to me. I sure miss the good ol' ILM days when things were REAL!!!!!

It would be interesting to know the age of each person who voted.....just out of curiosity I wonder if those of us who grew up with the OT like stormies better and those who grew up with the NT like clones better? :)

mini-rock
10-29-2002, 12:42 PM
OK, I'm 30. I grew up with the OT and love it.

Just so we are clear I like the Stormies, but after what was shown in AOTC (the battle at Geonosis) the Stormies wouldn't stand a chance against that Clone army. I do think the Stormies "look" cool, but look at the awesome fearlessness of the Clonetroopers.

187-Maul
10-29-2002, 01:11 PM
I'm 16 and kinda "grew up" with the OT (I liked SW before the PT so that's what I mean with "grew up") and I voted for stormtroopers too

Deoxyribonucleic
10-29-2002, 04:35 PM
this is good...this is good!

so far in our little experiment we have the opposite of what I expected.

1 person who was not born when the OT came out likes the stormtroopers better and one who was born like stormtroopers but thinks clones are better.

Curious... as what I expected is totally different so far, but of course the size of my sample is far from concluding that "the opposite" is true as of yet!

MOre answers, more answers PLEASE! :)

Darth Sidious
10-29-2002, 06:44 PM
I saw the OT way before the PT, but so far I'm pretty partial to the PT. I kinda like CG. CG or actors aside, I would still prefer Clonetroopers. They are pureblooded clones of Jango and they are elite. They look cooler too. And you've got to love those blue lasers! :D And they look so damned awesome in the Gunships, too!

DarthBrandon
10-29-2002, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna go with the Storm Troopers over the Clones, as I like the look of them much better IMO. I really don't like the Jango/Clone story that was IMO opinion put in there just to satisfy the Boba Fett fans ( I being one of them). The Clone Troopers are cool in their own little way, but the Storm Troopers are just more evil looking IMO.:)

JEDIpartner
10-31-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
...someone described it as the "sad puppy" helmet... with a fin.

That someone would have been ME! :D

I think the Clone Troopers are "okay", but MAAAAAAAAAAN...! Stormtroopers rock the hizouse! While I like the Clone Troopers, the helmets also remind me of "Bender" from "Futurama"!! I dunno... there's just something about a good old classic Stormtrooper that gets me all goose-bumpy! :crazed:

Darkross
10-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

That someone would have been ME! :D

I think the Clone Troopers are "okay", but MAAAAAAAAAAN...! Stormtroopers rock the hizouse! While I like the Clone Troopers, the helmets also remind me of "Bender" from "Futurama"!! I dunno... there's just something about a good old classic Stormtrooper that gets me all goose-bumpy! :crazed:

That's funny! I always thought that the Clone Trooper helmets reminded me of the helmet that the guy in the Rocketeer movie wears. I'm just waiting for the Clonetroopers to take off! Rocketman!!!

Chiesa
10-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Looks like the votes are all going to the OT's stormtroopers. I would say that I prefer the clonetrooper as they really kick some droid's *** with their huge GUNS!! :) Their helmet and all do look alittle more intimidating.

Cheers
:D:D:D

Old Fossil
11-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Stormtroopers all the way! As Rogue II said, their helmets are more skull-like, giving a more fearsome appearance.

Clonetroopers have a neat sort of 'retro' look to them. But their lines are too clean, if you get my meaning. If anything, Stormtroopers look less human than the Clonetroopers; and their 'true' human movements (as opposed to CGI) make the effect even wierder.

Then again, it might be different if I were able to view the Clonetroopers in an indoor environment for extended periods, such as the Death Star was for Stormtroopers in EpIV.

Exhaust Port
11-03-2002, 07:20 AM
At first I was somewhat disappointed with the look of the Clonetroopers but as time passes I'm starting to like them more and more. I love the fact that they used color to differentiate between ranks and jobs. Awesome.

The helmets are different but that's good. It seperates the Empire from the Pre-Empire days. You can't deny the coolness of the Stormtroopers but the Clonetroopers are pretty tough too. The stormtroopers were very bland when it came to personality (I know that was kind of the point) but the Clonetroopers showed initative and took charge in the big battle. We saw them leading other troopers and Jedi into battle. Awesome.

The Clones were seen only in large battle groups but we saw the ST's operating in squads which was pretty cool. Yet another difference I guess.

My final point is that I can't decide. The armor differnces are only a part of who is cooler. I would initially vote for the Stormtroopers but the Clonetroopers are quickly catching. It'll be interesting to answer this question after the next movie. I'm sure we'll see more CT's kicking some butt.

Darth Evil
11-03-2002, 09:10 AM
As much as I like the Clonetroopers, I still prefer Stormtroopers. I really like the Clonetrooper's colour-coding, it makes them more interesting.

JediTricks
11-03-2002, 07:01 PM
This color-coded rank thing isn't a new concept for SW, the Sandtrooper's pauldrons were color-coded too and that was 25 years ago.

tagmac
11-04-2002, 08:27 PM
I gotta go with the Clonetroopers, and yes, I was born before the OT came out. However, I still think the Sandtroopers are the coolest of them all.

Exhaust Port
11-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Yeah but the pauldrons weren't very prevailant to be considered standard were as the coloring on the Clonetroopers is more so. You could count the pauldrons on one hand. In addition the uniforms themselves weren't colored/altered for the basic stormtrooper in the OT.

stillakid
11-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

In fact, I like all the characters from the orginal trilogy better. I dunno, I just don't like these new films half as much as the orginal. Maybe it's just because I'm old and set in my ways, but it seems that these new flicks are made entirely for commercial purposes (ie: making money) and GL has actually lost sight of the true story in exchange for "computer graphics" and notoriety for coming up with new technology! That "feeling" which was in the orginals just isn't anywhere in these new movies!

I'd 14th that! (But I'm not allowed to say that kind of thing around here :rolleyes: )

Personal Opinion to follow:
I never bought into that helmet design. It looks like it's purposefully reminiscent of what Stormtroopers will be instead of an original design that would be functional. Had Lucas gone with the original plan and had the Fett-armored Mandalorian's all over the place, that mask design would've been far better. But the Clone helmet is just a little too, I don't know, dumb looking for my tastes. It just doesn't carry that aura of fierce warrior-ness or something. Actually, it kind of looks like they all got their faces smashed in.:dead:

mark2d2
11-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Call me old school, but the stormtroopers simply have a much cooler helmet. Had I been in charge there would be no clonetroopers. I'd have just had them be stormies from the start. It would have been much cooler, I think. Besides, then we all would've have had clone armies.....

The blending of Fett's and the Stormtroopers helmet was just wayyyy to obvious for my tastes. Frankly, I think it looks dumb. I just hope to god we don't have "Vader Troopers" in the next flick...

PLUS: the irony of having stormtroopers --- stormtroopers of all people!!! --- coming in to save the day would have been a pretty unexpected and amusing touch.

stillakid
11-05-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
I just hope to god we don't have "Vader Troopers" in the next flick....

Hasn't that already been done? ;)

Then again, that hasn't stopped Lucas and Co. yet...:D

Exhaust Port
11-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Are you mocking the coolness of the Cylon Raiders? ;) Perhaps a crossover is in the works.

Jayspawn
11-05-2002, 11:46 PM
I like both the Stormtroopers and the Clones. It's close for me, but I'd have to say I like the Stormtroopers more.

stillakid
11-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Are you mocking the coolness of the Cylon Raiders? ;) Perhaps a crossover is in the works.

Good lord, no. One of my favorite things to do as a kid was to talk into a fan and say "By your command." Try it sometime. :)

Prince Xizor
11-07-2002, 11:13 AM
I have two differant opinions on the matter. First I think the Stormtroopers and defineitly cooler looking. The mask is way more menacing than a Clone's, and Clonetroopers with the mask off are just plain ugly.

Second, I think Clonetroopers would kick some Stormtrooper *** in any battle. They would come swooping in, blast them to hell, then go swooping out.

Although I was always partial to Snowtroopers for some reason, maybe its because I live in New England, and there is always snow around here.

The Overlord Returns
11-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2

I just hope to god we don't have "Vader Troopers" in the next flick...

Well, considering the "Death's Head" look of the stormtrooper mask could easily have been based off the "Deaths Head" look of Vaders mask....you could make a case saying you already have Vader troopers ;)

As for the Clone/storm debate......I'm sorry, but how any of you think stormtroopers are remotely fierce/ intimidating looking in those masks is beyond me. Even when I was 4 I didn't find the stormies anything other than HI - Larious. Especially when they're being bested by 3 feet tall teddy bears with sticks......pathetic.

The Clone Troopers are superior in look, and more importantly, ability. I'll have to assume that somewhere down the line the empire starts using dna they found in the appalachian like regions of the galaxy......

....dueling banjos, anyone? ;)

BTW....I'm OT raised .........for the other question that's going around

scruffziller
11-08-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns

The Clone Troopers are superior in look, and more importantly, ability. I'll have to assume that somewhere down the line the empire starts using dna they found in the appalachian like regions of the galaxy......

....dueling banjos, anyone? ;)

BTW....I'm OT raised .........for the other question that's going around

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

And if you watch the part where Yoda and the Clonies save the day, they have a much more demanding presenence than the Stormies ever did. I think 25 years of movie production progress has done that. For some reason they just seem to hold those big guns with a more Terminatoresque(Arnie that is) feel appeal to it.

The Overlord Returns
11-08-2002, 10:58 AM
agreed....notice how confident they all seemed as they battled. They were no nonsense, and knew how to get the job done.

Jedi Master Silas
11-08-2002, 12:26 PM
My pick is the stormtrooper. The stormtroopers are more of a sinister look...dont get me wrong clonetroopers are cool...