PDA

View Full Version : New pirate Clone Troopers/Bootleg Clones (MERGED)

JangoFart
10-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Has everyone seen the new pirated Clone Troopers?

I don't condone piracy in general. I also like to see the creators reap the benefits of their hard work in creating these little hunks o' plastic that keep us preoccupied and broke. However, these little suckers are NICE!!

I won't buy these because of how I feel regarding piracy. Hopefully, though, Hasbro gets a gander of these suckers and sees that not only are they SWEET, but they fill a very nasty gap in the Star Wars line - namely, Clone Troopers that don't look like they are taking a dump and can be used NICELY to create a mean army for you diorama folks out there.

I would LOVE to see a set like these come out in a Cinema Scene-type of packaging. A set of 6 of the marching troopers marching side-by-side in rows of two into battle and a set of 5 of the firing troopers walking into the scrap at Geonosis.

Anyone at Hasbro reading this? Take heed and get to it!

J

Darth Detori
10-28-2002, 11:53 PM
well I personally don't mind piracy (if you consider the selling of an unlicensed figure piracy), so I'm definantly going to find $25 in my budget somewhere to get a bag of these suckers! They look totally cool.

Darth Cruel
10-29-2002, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't pass these up. My opinion is...if Hasbro won't give us what we want...I'll go to someone who will. I am already envisioning a huge formation of CTs at attention as well as some of those shooting ones in a battle diorama. And I don't even feel guilty! Hasbro! Are you listening? I will buy them from you if you make them!

LTBasker
10-29-2002, 12:05 AM
They're their molds, true they're not licensed, but as long as they're not making a profit and just asking for what it takes to make them, then it's technically not piracy because they aren't ripping anyone off. Now if they were using Hasbro's molds to make a big profit of'em, then that would be piracy. It's basically the same as if you were to give the money to a customizer for the parts it would require to make a specific custom figure.

I don't know if they're making a profit or not, but if they're not then it's just technically not piracy. Even the guns appear to be original molds...

I think they're actually quite cool, I wish they came in bigger sets and I had the money to get them, they'd be great for dioramas. Especially the action posed ones, good background arena and such fodder so you can have the Hasbro figs highlighted in the foreground.

Jedi Master Silas
10-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Those C. Troopers look very cool. I would buy them if I could find them here. Question...are they Hasbro quality??? Wait..what am I saying?? Hasbro's quality control has gone to the crapper!

JangoFart
10-29-2002, 01:18 AM
It does not matter who made the mold. It does not matter if a profit is made or not. Some of the rights conferred on a copyright holder is the right of reproduction and the right of distribution. Since this is sanctioned by neither Lucasfilm nor its licensee Hasbro, these critters are, therefore, illegal.

It matters not to me that they are being made EXCEPT for the hope that it will get Hasbro to realize they are ignoring a nice hunk of change in making these things themselves. I won't buy them unless they are official, but that's just me. If I were a diorama builder, I'd look at these as the Second Coming. But, I'm not. So, all you army/diorama builders, help yourselves!

I just don't collect any bootleg stuff. Just like with my coin collection, I don't collect any foreign coins; only US Mint coins. Just my preference.

J

Lord Tenebrous
10-29-2002, 01:38 AM
It's an old subject, as Star Wars bootlegs appeared almost immediately after ANH's release. Some pieces are more popular, such as the Heritage pewter figures and the Uzay action figures, but there's always a common theme: uniqueness.

Heritage made Garindan and a Bantha long before Kenner did. And Uzay was fun not only for the original approach to the molds, but the packaging is quite memorable as well.

While there's nothing outstanding about these figures, it does reflect a period now where the focus is not on getting attention, but rather on getting it right.

Tycho
10-29-2002, 02:36 AM
I agree with everything said in this post.

Let me stress only that I want something in the ways of at least 9 marching Clones holding their rifles in parade formation.

I may possibly do well to buy 59 of them.

It is easier on my time and schedule if I buy ALL OF THEM AT ONCE!

I'll weigh the quality of the boot-legs in mind when I see them and handle them in person (hopefully they'll show up at a Con I can make sometime soon - if not the Grand Slam Star Trek Con they do every year in Pasadena, CA) and if all things are convenient, I'll consider it. That's next March and I bet Lucasfilm and Hasbro will be tracking these guys down and sueing them before then, so I have little to worry about - as far as buying something illegal.

In a sense, it does let us vote - with our dollars that matter to Hasbro the most - if we patronize a bootlegger that makes a product that we want.

I'd hope this pattern is encouraged and 12" vehicles show up, as well as large-scale playsets like a huge Death Star, or heck - someone might want to partner up with me and start producing my 5 foot long Blockade Runner or some of Michael Fright's to-scale stuff (Blockade Runner not included!)

Monopolies do hurt the choices of the consumer quite often, though they can be favorable for the price at times. Right now, this issue is about consumer choices.

I can't say for sure what choice I'd make, but I'd approach these figures to see them deliberately, and not without several hundred dollars burning a whole through my hand!

Bring 'em on! I've got to take a personal look at these things!

JangoFart
10-29-2002, 03:49 AM
I'll go a step further and state that while it is illegal for these folks to produce and distribute these figures, it is not illegal for someone, like any of you, to own them. In buying something like this, you are not infringing on the copyright of Lucasfilm or its licensee, Hasbro.

Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

J

evenflow
10-29-2002, 06:58 AM
I think they are pretty cool. I wont buy them though, not because of piracy or anything though.

Chiesa
10-29-2002, 10:16 AM
I will be getting 20 of these troopers for myself pretty soon. I would give a review to you all when I do. I asked my dealer if it is a Hasbro mail away or maybe some fan club item which I may have missed out on. But the reply I got was him telling me it's straight from China. He could not provide me with pics at that time. But after looking at it, I would say that I was lucky that I made a reservation.

Its not that I support piracy, but like most people agreed on this thread. It is defintely for diorama/army builders and i don't see the preview clonetrooper fulfilling my needs due to the pose and the brown spots on them. So the next best alternative is, hope that some other chap does it. Which is the case now.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

JEDIpartner
10-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Okay... 59's a little ridiculous, but I would like to get 10. I can't believe that Hasblah hasn't discovered that there is a demand for STANDING Clone Troopers as opposed to action versions.

The "marching" version would be the preferred of the two... for me anyhow.

Prince Xizor
10-29-2002, 10:28 AM
I also agree with pretty much everybody else. Sure they aren't the real thing, but who really cares? I would love to get my hands on a bunch of these, having them march into battle Revolutionary War style. Get 25 of them and line them up in 5 rows of 5... Just plain cool.

I am looking forward to your review Chiesa, if they are worth it, I will pick some up.

Jayspawn
10-29-2002, 11:37 AM
I don't condem piracy either. As long as it looks nice. Which these Clones do. I'd get them but this happens to be a time when stuff is starting to come out. Clone accessory packs or builder sets would be great though.

187-Maul
10-29-2002, 01:20 PM
man, I'd love to get my hands on some of the shooting ones, they look so cool
but since I'm nor registered to ebay and my dad usualy is against ebay-ordering (and I don't have the money to get them ATM) I guess I won't get them

JediBoulton
10-29-2002, 04:48 PM
Where can we see these "clone troopers" ??

JangoFart
10-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Well, it would appear the Big Brother has edited out the link and the reference to where the story appeared. It appeared on Rebelscum at: http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=10321

and on ebay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1780379857 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1780381352

J

Darth Cruel
10-29-2002, 07:42 PM
After everything is said and done. It IS illegal to make and distribute these things. The ONLY way it would be legal is if a person made them themsleves and kept them for themselves. ANYTHING else is copyright infringement.

And I don't care.

Let me find some of these and I will buy as many as I can. If Hasbro wants me to buy them from Hasbro, they better get in gear and make them! I WILL stick to the official ones if I have a choice.

Of course, now that I have looked at the auction. It would be tough for Hasbro to enforce the copyright seeing as how the seller is in Hong Kong. Not impossible...but tough.

Turbowars
10-29-2002, 07:54 PM
well if look at these things, they really don't look that great. The legs look kinda fat and the figures itself looks out of scale. That's just me. I have a issue about bootleg crap and I think they should be sued. Theres a copyright issue going on at my job and I hate when the little guy gets burned, thats not to say Hasbro is the Little guy, but I think you guy know what I mean.

Beast
10-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Actually, you can get around the legalities if you don't make any money on items like this. Or if they ammount made is very very small. Most of the time, unless your doing things like making a ton of money on full Stormtrooper costumes, nobody from Lucasfilm will complain. Why do you think they can make parody movies like "Thumb Wars" and "George Lucas in Love" and not get cracked for it. :)

If I ever can find some of these for sale, I definatly will pick up a couple of each. I actually like the marching versions better, since the battle stance one can be achieved now by purchasing preview CloneTroopers and removing the dirt and grime. It sure would help clear the pegs around here if I did. But I usually only buy 1 of every figure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JangoFart
10-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Actually, you can get around the legalities if you don't make any money on items like this. Or if they ammount made is very very small. Most of the time, unless your doing things like making a ton of money on full Stormtrooper costumes, nobody from Lucasfilm will complain. Why do you think they can make parody movies like "Thumb Wars" and "George Lucas in Love" and not get cracked for it. :)

That is not accurate at all. It may be what appears to be popular belief, but it's not true. The production itself is a copyright violation and the distribution is as well. I hope nobody thinks these are being made for kicks. They are being made to put money in the pocket of the makers; plain and simple.

It may be that it would not be worth Lucasfilm's time and effort to seek an end to these things and, therefore, they might get by. However, I doubt that Lucasfilm will sit by and watch this go on. Take a gander at Microsoft hooking up with the governments of other countries to set up stings, etc. Companies do, and should, go out of their way to protect their creations. Failure to do so can result in the property becoming "public domain" and, therefore, free of copyright protection.

Parody is a WHOLE 'nother area of intellectual property law and pretty much anything is fair game to be parodied without the fear of copyright infringement.

J

Turbowars
10-29-2002, 08:17 PM
You tell them Jargo Fart!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-29-2002, 08:30 PM
Illegal or not, I'd buy these!

Lord Tenebrous
10-29-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Of course, now that I have looked at the auction. It would be tough for Hasbro to enforce the copyright seeing as how the seller is in Hong Kong. Not impossible...but tough.

Quite tough, considering that most of the world's copyright laws come nowhere close to the strength of the States'. And of course, there's the Battlestar Galactica argument when it comes to the Clone Troopers. :D

But if this were on American soil, it would probably be a repeat of the good ol' Luke Skyywalker incident. In Luther Cambell's words...

Skyywalker Records and George Lucas.

Remember back about a decade and a half ago when I first broke and I used to go by the name "Luke Skyywalker."

Yeah, that was back in my 2 Live Crew days.
But, you know what, there was a certain person who had a problem with my choice in names.

Mr. Star Wars himself, George Lucas, sued me for $300 million dollars for taking the name of his "moral, wholesome" Jedi warrior hero in vain.

Can you believe that?
Not the "moral, wholesome" part, but the $300 million!
Thatís a lot of money, yo.

Well, I couldnít say that I had never used the name, cause my record company was called "Luke Skyywalker" records at the time.

So this is what I did...
I just hired me some good lawyers and we made an out-of-court
settlement where I dropped the "Skyywalker" and paid George Lucas
$300,000 dollars to make him happy.

As if he really needed the money...

But I'm guessing these guys will just get a cease and desist letter...

Tycho
10-29-2002, 11:05 PM
I know. I'm really Luke Skywalker anyway.

And there's no disputing JangoFart - he's our resident lawyer on these message boards!

Beast
10-30-2002, 12:34 AM
Lawyers Smoyers. The fact is, as long as you make no money at all, or very little, Lucasfilm looks the other way. So who cares what the law states. We're talking about toys here folks. Customized toys have been, and always shall be sold. As long as they are not being mass produced, or marketed as actual approved Star Wars products, there is no case. That fact has been shown clearly when ever these little custom arguments start to surface. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JangoFart
10-30-2002, 01:48 AM
The fact that Lucas and his company CHOOSE not to pursue the little schmoe customizer is, in case you haven't guessed, their CHOICE. Customization helps keep interest in their products which, in the long run, benefits them. In order for a customizer to make a custom figure, he or she has to be well versed in the SW universe (which, most likely, comes from reading books and comics, watching the movies, etc.) and, most of the time, the customizer BUYS a Hasbro figure to customize. However, IF they got a hankering to, Lucasfilm could shut down every single customizer out there; just as they could shut down every single Star Wars site out there which were operating with frontpages with copyrighted pictures, names, etc., used without written consent of Lucasfilm. I, for one, am plenty happy they have, again, CHOSEN not to do so.

I'm all for customizing and have seen some truly incredible work done by some of these artists - and that's what they are, artists. However, making and selling Clone Troopers by the sack doesn't really fall into that category and I'm sure Lucasfilm will not look the other way.

But, prove your point.

In your throne room, start cranking out bootleg Clone Troopers and sell them by the sack at 10 to 25 per sack. Then, give Lucasfilm's lawyers a call. Give them the complete rundown and tell them that you are only profiting $0.25 per figure and report back. Something tells me you'll have a different opinion on the matter.

And, for the record, what gets clearly shown in these forums and what gets clearly shown in other forums, oh say Federal courts, are obviously different "facts".

J

Tycho
10-30-2002, 01:54 AM
I for one am glad we have a lawyer around here! :)

JangoFart
10-30-2002, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the vote of support! But, come on now, Tycho. You like a good lawyer-bashing joke or story as much as, well, me. :)

Truth be known, there are not a whole heck of a lot of lawyers I know that I'm overly fond of. As a profession, they have, typically, earned the crap reputation bestowed upon them. Most are condescending, arrogant horse's butts. But, I wasn't raised that way, so I don't do act that way just because I burned a bunch of years and money getting through college/law school.

And, JarJar does raise one decent point: what happens in theory and what happens in practice are, more than you think, not the same thing in the legal world. Just like the customization thing; Lucasfilm and Hasbro, typically, have no problem with it because, again, it keeps interest in their goodies. But, anyone remember the topless Padme up for sale on eBay? There are lines that, when crossed, send the lawyers in like sharks after a bleeding seal. I have a hunch these folks selling sacksful of CT's will be rather unpleasantly surprised if wind of it gets to Hasbro and/or Lucasfilm.

J

Tycho
10-30-2002, 02:33 AM
No, I don't remember the topless Padme up for sale on E-bay.

What was the URL? I might want to buy that! :D

JangoFart
10-30-2002, 02:36 AM
Oh, it's a goner. Some customizer took an arena Padme and stuck her in a 25th Ann. 2-pack window box. Oh yeah. He also made her completely topless. Looked great! eBay yanked it at Lucasfilm's request and he got a cease and desist letter. Was during the summer.

J

Tycho
10-30-2002, 03:14 AM
Wished somebody had a picture....LOL!

JangoFart
10-30-2002, 05:00 PM
I actually saved the pic from the auction at one point. I'll dig around on the ol' hard drive and see if I still have it. (Be forewarned that I save and delete pics all the time, so I might not have it.)

J

Lord Tenebrous
10-30-2002, 05:44 PM
I should pull up the "Boba Femme" - Barbie body, Boba mask, skimpy outfit. I dunno, I probably deleted it, it was pretty disturbing... :sur:

Edit: Found it.

Turbowars
10-30-2002, 06:41 PM
There were a few topless Padmes on e-bay. I didn't see the one JangoFart stated, but I saw some that were placed back on the card with a photo of her topless on the back. It relly looked factory. On a side note, we are talking about bag fulls of Bootleg Clones and they are only being made for profit This isn't some customizer that wants everyone to have a army at cost.

Tycho
10-30-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
I should pull up the "Boba Femme" - Barbie body, Boba mask, skimpy outfit. I dunno, I probably deleted it, it was pretty disturbing... :sur:

Edit: Found it.

I wonder what this figure smelled like?

JangoFart
10-31-2002, 12:45 AM
Ok. That Boba Femme thing kinda scared me.

J

Chiesa
10-31-2002, 12:48 AM
Oh my... That was pretty scary!!

Val Da Car
10-31-2002, 09:20 AM
whoa....little boba was a girl under all that armour?

:stupid:

JangoFart
10-31-2002, 01:25 PM
I looked and couldn't find that pic. Sorry, Tycho.

J

JEDIpartner
10-31-2002, 02:05 PM
(Sounding like Dee Dee from Dexter's Lab) Ooooh...! Barbie Fett! :kiss:

broctoon
10-31-2002, 02:32 PM
I picked up one each of the bootleg troopers at the Kane County Toy Show this past Sunday. A guy was selling them for $5 individually, or like $25 for a bag of five or six. After busting them out I decided I wasn't too hot on the marching clonetrooper. the legs are not moveable at all, and the arms barely move. Also, the figure has some trouble holding his gun. The head, of course, is fully moveable. the main complaint is that I just don't like the postioning of the legs. On the other hand, the shooting trooper is very cool. Like the marching trooper his arms and legs are imobile, but they don't really need to be. It is an awesome stance, and made me wonder why Hasbro didn't make theirs like that to begin with.

Another thing I noticed when I got them home is that the helmet mold is more accurate than Hasbro's. Hasbro's looks puny and out of scale when looking at the bootleg figures.

So overall, I think these things are worth your purchase (if you are not opposed to piracy), but the marching trooper is not as cool as it sounds. Just don't expect much articulation.

kdp100
10-31-2002, 08:03 PM
I don't know if I'm remembering this right, but didn't the person who posted the original link to the topless Padme auction a few months ago end up getting himself banned from this site for posting "unsuitable material that might be seen by children in a family forum"?
And wasn't he the same person that got a few people's backs up by starting a lot of threads that most people thought pointless?

LTBasker
10-31-2002, 08:08 PM
No that was different, he posted a picture that was a woman with Padme's head photoshopped on it. They're talking about figures who actually customize the figures to be topless versions. Pretty sad I think

Turbowars
10-31-2002, 08:09 PM
??? I don't remember that, but there are a lot of threads that are pointless, hell all these threads are pointless. It's just fun to BS with people that like the same crap.

Turbowars
10-31-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
No that was different, he posted a picture that was a woman with Padme's head photoshopped on it. They're talking about figures who actually customize the figures to be topless versions. Pretty sad I think Why is it sad LT? I think it's kinda cool. It reminds me of the adult film figures put out by Plastic Fantasy in the EE cat.;)

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 02:51 PM
i like how they(clone troopers in marching stance) look. i just wish hasbro would make them instead. I wonder about the quality of the figure. from the picture, it looks awesome!

definitly infringing on copyright material if it is being made without the ok from the owners.

Beast
11-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Now after seeing better close up pictures of the bootleg CloneTroopers, I have to say that I'm not as impressed now with the quality. The Hasbro versions have alot more detail, and I think as long as Hasbro someday gives us a CloneTrooper in equal quality to the Commtech Stormie, I'll be happy. :)

http://www.artoosnews.com/cloned.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
11-10-2002, 05:48 PM
WOW, I gotta go with JJB on this one. Up close these thing really pale in comparison to the real deal.

Comparing these is almost like comparing an original POTF2 Stormtrooper to a CommTech Stormtrooper.:eek:

All the other pics looked pretty good. But when you see 'em close up they really fall short (for a Clone Trooper...LOL...I had to say it).

Only 3 points of articulation!!! These things are like the Battle Droid pack-ins from the EP1 European releases, only the weapons appear to be removable...LOL:D

Beast
11-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I really was shocked how bad they look up close. I wanted a couple of each really bad when I first saw them. But now, I'll just wait for Hasbro to produce somthing better. Nice to know that I have been saved the stress and the cash, trying to hunt these down. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
11-10-2002, 06:12 PM
They don't even come with their heads attatched! LOL

There are quite a few sets on Sleaze-bay.:rolleyes:

The thing is, with Hasbro prices the way they are, these just aren't worth it! You pay 4-5 bucks per bootleg fig. when you could have the real thing for the same price or less. Most SW prices are around $3.00 at retail right now!

BTW, here's a pic.

LTBasker
11-10-2002, 06:15 PM
I don't see what the big deal is, they look fine to me. The armor brightness is reasonable, I mean they were supposed to look menacing and the armor is supposed to be white and not opaque, well unless it's dusty or something of course. Being made on Kamino would mean the armor is brighter because everything there looked that sterile. :D If they had been in battle or something then yeah it'd be less brighter. Another thing you have to consider is that the bootleggers don't have the factories that Hasbro does and Hasbro isn't exactly perfect themselves with detail either.

Vortex
11-19-2002, 12:40 PM
I know I'm not a big supporter of Amok time...but I just found out they are offering 10 clones (5 standing at attention and 5 crouching) for 24.99 for all you army builders out there.

http://www.amoktime.com/detail.asp?product_id=swepii59

Sorry if this is old new, but hey, I just ran across it. They are claiming its an overseas exclusive, but didn't some one at one point claim to be making these or bootlegging these things? I can't remember the topics anymore...

JediBoulton
11-19-2002, 02:30 PM
I just received an E-mail notification about a "Clone Trooper 10 Pack" being offered from AMOKTIME.COM.
This is being offered as a "Foreign Exclusive"
I took a look at these figures and they are nothing like what we currently have. 5 of these figures are in a crouching position and the other 5 are at attention. They are all white with no specific markings.

Are these from Hasbro? Do they have any articulation? They would make a great addition with some Gunships and Scenes -- but are they just non-movable crap?

Any thoughts? At roughly $2.50 each -- they might be worth a look.

Here is a link for reference:
http://www.amoktime.com/detail.asp?product_id=swepii59

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 02:45 PM
These are bootlegs..........and they look it, too.

Vortex
11-19-2002, 02:55 PM
I posted the same thing early today.

There's also a running series by rebelscum.com about customizing clones and they take a look at ones similar from ebay, which look a heck of a lot like the ones offered from amok time.

But you be the judge. They still look pretty cool none the less.

LTBasker
11-19-2002, 02:57 PM
They're bootlegs, they were first revealed not too long ago. They have a little articulation I think. The head can go from side to side and the arms I think can mildly raise up and down. They're pretty good for being just bootlegs, you should check out Rebelscum, they've been having alot of coverage on them. The blaster rifle is alot more detailed and accurate than Hasbro's too.

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 03:01 PM
that's funny, because the entire thing looks less detailed than a Hasbro clone....

JediBoulton
11-19-2002, 03:02 PM
Just looked at Rebelscum.com -- You all are right. The ones that are offered on AT are the same ones that are mentioned in the Part #1 of the coverage. I feel stupid now. Gee, For a minute there -- I thought Hasbro might be doing us a favor and give us some great looking "extra figures". What was I thinking?

Vortex
11-19-2002, 03:21 PM
S'all right man...it happens.

I noticed it too, and remember reading from Rebelscum they were boots from some one. They got so much attention that they started doing stories on them. Either way they are still cool. Don't feel too bad. If nothing more some out there is picking up the slack and giving some of us collectors more of what we want in the way of figs. If I was an army builder I'd think about picking up a set or two for my stuff. No different than the dudes doing customs...

If some one does order them, they should let us know if and what the trade mark says on the legs or feet, or if it even has one.

Anyone taking bets to see if Lucasarts or some other branch of Lucas puts up a stink about these figs? I can see some one screaming about trade mark infringments or something like that.

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Weeelll.......it, um, is a rather large case of trademark infringement.

Vortex
11-19-2002, 03:30 PM
So how soon until we hear a stink about this?

JediBoulton
11-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Well -- Lets find out. I just sent an Email to Amoktime asking if these were infact from Hasbro or are they just customs that they acquired? -- When I get an answer -- I'll post it here.

Vortex
11-19-2002, 06:38 PM
don't hold your breath.

I've had trouble with AT in the past with not answering questions and not fully reimbursing a mistake THEY made by doubling one of my orders.

I'm tempted to order a set to check them out. If I don't like them I know a toy dealer and comic shop that would buy them off me...maybe if I do order I'll give you a run down when and if they do show up...

kdp100
11-19-2002, 06:53 PM
I think there are several threads on this forum (search on "pirate clones") that discuss these figures. They're definitely NOT Hasbro but someone's obviously taken the time to sculpt and produce them very carefully.

When I first heard talk of their legs not moving I was slightly perturbed, but then I thought of:

Imperial Guard (POTF2)
Imperial Sentinel
Mon Mothma
Ugnaughts
Jawas
Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (or almost any other Palpy, come to that)
Yoda (ditto)
Orn Free Ta
Eeth Koth
Nikto Jedi
Shaak Ti
Luminara

A pattern is starting to emerge...

I suspect these figures will be devoid of copyright markings - which makes them all the more authentic in my book.

I'm hoping to have a ten-pack of these figures from {cough!} an "undisclosed source" in two days' time, but I'm sure they'll cut the mustard!

:)

Jargo
11-20-2002, 07:20 AM
These are so horrible looking, big fat legs, huge melon heads with crests too big. massive hands and arms that are bent wrong and appear to not have elbows. For a non professional sculptor they don't look too bad as an effort but I wouldn't have these anywhere near my collection. The poses are better than Hasbro came up with, especially the marching version. But I wouldn't bother and save my pennies for next year when there's bound to be a ton more clonetroopers released to co-incide with the clone wars cross platform campaign. There's already talk of one trooper from that and a regular saga clonetrooper four pack so there's bound to be more if hasbro knows what's good for them.

fourtwo
11-20-2002, 12:13 PM
boo!
boo-urns!
i dislike those figures a great deal.
the only good customs to have are the ones you make yourself.

Adam
11-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Yep, those be the bootlegs. Kinda wrong to list them as Foreign Exclusive though, even though they technically are.

The Overlord Returns
11-20-2002, 02:39 PM
seriously, how many threads about these things are we going to have?

Sidiously Darth
11-20-2002, 04:06 PM
I know this will probably get deleted or merged but I couldn't help myself. Someone asked how many threads were we going to have? So I had to start another one.

Anyway, I will add some substance to the thread. I know they've been spotted at toy shows and coventions. How much were they going for? I'm thinking about buying some just to add to my army.:D

Val Da Car
11-20-2002, 04:07 PM
I did buy some to see what they were like and wow!!!
They are like clone troopers' big brother!!

Bigger Chest!
only head turns and arms move and that is it for articulation.

Bigger Guns.....

and lastly....Ultra White!!!
not a speck of dirt on them...

great for scene building if they are the only figures in the scene.

Val Da Car
11-20-2002, 04:12 PM
Once this gets merged it will all make sense....

the amoktime figs are the best price cause you won't have to pay freight from HK directly.

$10 beats $30 for freight anytime.

JediBoulton
11-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Val -- did you but these from AT? Do you see any marking on feet, legs, anywhere that says where they are from?

More importantly -- do they say HASBRO on them anywhere?

If possible -- can you post a picture of what the figure says -- if anything?

AT still has not returned my Email -- probably wont, but I am still courious as to what they are selling.

Based on what I know about the law -- AT cannot "legaly" call these figures Clonetroopers if they are not from HASBRO -- nor can they advertise as such.

This would be SAD if they are selling CRAP and passing it off as "Official Star Wars Toys"

It is just wrong...:(

JediJeff77
11-20-2002, 04:34 PM
I picked up a set of these on ebay and I really like them.
There are no markings on them whatsoever, so they are definately bootlegs.
I wouldn't go so far as to call them crap, especially when Hasblow has put our such 'crap' as the POTF2 Royal Guard, preview CT and Jango and not to mention pretty much every mace windu from Ep2. These CTs aren't all that great in articulation, but they look pretty nice set up in a gunship. Nice filler anyway.
-J

Vortex
11-20-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
seriously, how many threads about these things are we going to have?

Don't know...how about a billion:)

JediBoulton
11-20-2002, 05:11 PM
Yea, Your Right. I meant to refer the real Hasbro Clonetroopers as part of the "OFFICIAL CRAP" that Hasbro can put out.

It would seem that a popular site like this gets read by thousands of people -- even some with some influence. It would be so nice to see some of our "comments" about these figures answered -- maybe even corrected. The fake clone troopers are just one example of what happens when we as collectors do not get a quality product. We will make our own -- and if others like it better than the origional, and are willing to pay a small price -- than they can have one as well. This topic has been beat into the ground so many times it brings tears to all of us who read it -- not to mention to those of us who type it.

Star Wars has always meant something to me. I have always been proud to say I am a part of this "universe" (via collecting, reading, watching videos, conventions, etc). I just wish that those who have the right influence within HASBRO could stop for a moment and see what we as collectors want, or rather need.

If we cant get it from Hasbro, as seen with these clone troopers, we WILL get what we want -- somehow.

I am through venting now. I will just drop the issue. Thanks fellow fans for commenting -- you all are great :)

Val Da Car
11-20-2002, 05:27 PM
I will inspect them a little closer and post a picture soon....

I guess they could be called clone of clonetroopers.

maybe that would make a lawyer happy.....(yeah right.)

I looked at them closely when I got them and was comparing them to the Sneak Preview edition as for the differences.

Dar' Argol
11-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
I know this will probably get deleted or merged but I couldn't help myself. Someone asked how many threads were we going to have? So I had to start another one.

Anyway, I will add some substance to the thread. I know they've been spotted at toy shows and coventions. How much were they going for? I'm thinking about buying some just to add to my army.:D

The threads have been merged.

There is no reason to start another thread on the same topic, even if "Someone asked how many threads were we going to have?"

Beast
11-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Can we smack the next person that starts a Bootleg CloneTrooper thread? Please? Pretty please with sugar on top? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tiggertheterrible
11-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Where'd you see them?

I haven't yet, obviously.

Oh. Nevermind!:D

Sidiously Darth
03-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Sorry to revive this thread but I just received my set of 10 today. I have to say they aren't bad for bootleg figures. The stances are different and they actually stand on their own. Well, at least mine do. I think they blend in well with the other "real" clone troopers.

Anyway, I'm sure this thread will soon be back in the clearance section of this forum.:stupid: :crazed:

Chiesa
03-02-2003, 01:42 AM
They look pretty decent for bootlegs initially. But the workmanship of each figure is not very consistent. This applies more to the ones standing in attention. Most of them can't really stand properly due to their soles of their feet alittle tilted or just uneven. And their legs are too close together to actaully stand the wt of their upper bodies.

I guess they do look great when a huge bunch of them are standing in attention. :D I wouldn't want too much of those with the fire pose.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D