PDA

View Full Version : The last thing you see before you die is....The Ring

Eternal Padawan
10-30-2002, 12:54 AM
oooooh...(wiggles fingers ominously) Spooky!

I went and saw this tonight. Towards the end I was less concerned about being scared and more interested in the "mystery" angle. I liked how it all came together.

Then the kid asks "Why would you let her out?" and it got creepy at the end. :D :( :eek:

Speaking of the kid...WOW! What a noggin on him, huh? Looks like a pumpkin on a toothpick.

I'm not sure what all this talk of a sequel is. Or a trilogy for that matter. Does Naomi Watts find new ways not to die in the sequels?

Anyway, good for a scare. Go check it out. (or talk about it here if you already have...) :)

Beast
10-30-2002, 01:07 AM
I guess this will be a spoiler thread, so be warned. ;) :D

I'm glad you liked it EP, it was one of my favorite movies of 2002. I'm glad the box office returns have been good, even though some areas, the theaters are dead. :)

Yeah, the kid was weird. Somewhat overused as well, I would have liked if they wouldn't have played the "6th Sense" aspect on him. But he was good and weird, which worked well in the movie.

They sequel probably won't even really deal with Naomi, unless it's an attempt to get her body back in the well. Not that that would stop the curse. But there have been other people that have watched the tape and lived by passing the curse on.

The Japanese sequels are a bit odd though, as there is a sequel and a prequel. And a couple weird remakes and such that arn't liked as well. I hope that the rights to do the new movie, means we'll see the originals released over here.

You can read about the Japanese versions of the film, at the following site. They are really in depth and have a lot of information about the Japanese versions. Not as much about the american one though. http://ringworld.somrux.com/ :)

I'm hoping when the DVD is released, it gets a proper S.E. treatment. Audio Commentary, Deleted Scenes, Making of Features, the whole shebang. I may have to actually see it again though at the theater, I loved it so much.

My only complaint is that the picture fell down during the movie, when I saw it on opening day. When the horse goes crazy on the ferry over to the island, the projector screwed up and the picture fell down. So that the bottom was at the top of the screen, and the top was at the bottom. They didn't get it fixed until just as the scene was over. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
10-30-2002, 09:17 AM
That was some surreal, beautiful slo motion footage of the horse careening through the cars and stuff. As a (former) film student I was transfixed by that imagery completely aside from it's narrative aspect. Very cool imagery. Sorry yours got screwed up, JJB.

Prince Xizor
10-30-2002, 10:24 AM
I too enjoyed the film. I didn't think it was "scary", like Signs. But just kind of creepy and spooky, which I enjoy more then having the crap scared out of me.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2002, 11:10 AM
This HAS to be one of the creepiest films I have seen in a long time. The last one I liked, for its campfire ghost story angle, was "The Blair Witch Project."

Leonard Maltin reviewed this on his show and ripped it apart. He said that there were so many things like: the dead horses, the freaked out horse, the bloody noses and a few other things that didn't seem to factor into the plot. I don't think he was watching the same film. I totally saw symbolism in some of the things shown and the horses totally had a lot to do with the little girl.

Anyhow... no one I've spoken with has been disappointed with the film. I was able to see it a couple weeks back at a preview screening. My partner said that he wouldn't have come had he known it was going to be rated "PG-13." He's a fan of the teen-slasher flicks, which just make me laugh. I told him the fact that the movie was "PG-13" and not "R" probably owes to the fact that there is enough thought and plot in this film that they didn't need to fill it up with random violence and pointless nudity.

Maltin also griped about the way the film was shot. He said there were too many close-ups of Naomi's face and fleeting glimpses of the "damage" to the victim's faces. There was so much expression in Naomi's face that the audience should have been able to empathise with her. The "fleeting" glimpses of the more graphic moments were better because your mind started to "fill in the gaps" or "make sense" of what was just seen. Stuff like that gets under your skin and creeps you out even more than a lingering shot that allows you to take in all of the details.

This film is a great creepfest classic. I can't wait for the DVD!!!

Beast
11-01-2002, 11:48 AM
Wow, and I used to respect Leonard Maltin for being a decent reviewer. I guess he just didn't get the movie. Any idea what Ebert and Roeper thought of it? They are more conservitive then Maltin though, so I bet they hated it as well. Oh well, like movie critics are always right. That's why I never judge a movie on a critics word. If it sound intresting, and it's somthing I want to see, I don't care if god himself/herself said the movie sucked. I'll give it a try. Most of the time, I'm pleasently suprised. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
11-01-2002, 01:01 PM
I was impressed by this film. It is not as scary as the Japanese original, IMHO, but I thought that the filmakers were very faithful to it, especially keeping the original "un-hollywood" ending intact.

I hope the success of this version will lead to the original version released on video.

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Ebert didn't like it, but Roeper ate the movie up like candy. Ebert grilled him for liking it, and wanted Roeper to explain where the video tape came from and some other plot holes. Roeper tried his best to defend it, too.

QLD
11-01-2002, 06:58 PM
that doesn't bode well.....Ebert I respect, but Roper is a blithering idiot......

Beast
11-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Apperantly Ebert didn't do any research on the movie, if he didn't know where the video tape came from. Apperantly he wasn't paying attention to the movie, either. Oh well, I liked the movie. No matter what the critic say, it was one of the best movies of the year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 07:06 PM
You could see the fire in Ebert's eyes when Roeper announced his approval for it. I can't remember what Ebert asked Roeper, but Roeper's answer to it was the ghost was who did it. Ebert kind of rolled his eyes at him and said something about the ghost doing it as absurd.

Beast
11-01-2002, 07:10 PM
Hello, the girl could burn images on film with her mind. She burned images on the wall of the barn she was kept in with her mind. How is it so absurd that she burned that stuff on the video tape? Ebert's must have fallen asleep during those parts of the movie. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Ebert said the movie did not end soon enough and that it could of ended earlier than it should. Roeper says there were some unanswered questions, but it was a creepy, fixated thriller that wanted to make you look away, but you had to look because what is the fun of a rollercoaster ride if you don't open up your eyes. Ebert begins his critique, "There sure were a lot of questions! Like who is on the phone? Who made those calls? Who made the tape? Why was the tape made? Why does the caller want this kind of revenge?" Roeper says, "It's the ghost! It's the killer!" Ebert replies, "Oh yeah, uh huh. How can a ghost call on the phone? How does a ghost dial the phone?" Roeper says, "Ghosts have magic killing powers. It's a supernatural thing." Ebert says, "The movie was way too drawn over. The movie kept explaining and explaining and explaining! I said, 'Come on and get it over with! I got it, I got it!' It was a well made boring movie." Roeper interrupts, "BORING?! How could you call it boring? It was never boring!" These aren't exact quotes, but they did say those things.

Beast
11-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Ebert: 'Come on and get it over with! I got it, I got it!'

Apperantly he didn't get it, since he wouldn't be asking so many stupid questions if he would have paid attention. Ugh, well no sense feeling frustrated about it. Just more proof that critics don't know a good movie, if it crawled up and bit them. :p :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 07:34 PM
And if you too would like to hear the full review in question, it can be found here: http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/021021.html

master jedi
11-02-2002, 12:46 PM
I didn't really like this movie that much but there were parts that were creepy.

evenflow
11-02-2002, 12:51 PM
I thought the movie was pretty cool, but wasnt too big ont he resoultion for an ending, and the fact they never explained where the tape came from.

Eternal Padawan
11-03-2002, 08:10 AM
I never watch Ebert and Roeper anymore. Both of them are shmucks. I bet Ebert complained about the Poltergeists in "Poltergeist".

"How did they talk to her through the TV? Its just static."
"How does a ghost move a chair across the room?"

As if Ebert has a little irrefutable bible of otherworld physics and The Ring is clearly violating what a ghost can and cannot do.:rolleyes:

"It can't dial a phone, but climbing out of a TV screen is okay..."

JEDIpartner
11-03-2002, 12:10 PM
One thing's for certain... no ghost could move a chair if Ebert were sitting in it!! :rolleyes: :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-03-2002, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I agree with the thoughts on the whole ghost bash Ebert had. It's a ghost story, why should they limit what a ghost can do, because once you start doing that then it is no longer a ghost story. Meaning it has lost all of its supernatural power.

master jedi
11-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
I thought the movie was pretty cool, but wasnt too big ont he resoultion for an ending, and the fact they never explained where the tape came from.
That's one of the main reasons I didn't care for it. yeah we know the tape has something to do with the girl but how did she make it (if she did mak it) and how it was ablt to kill people.

Beast
11-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Ok, how did she make the video tape is as follows. If you remember in the video that was stolen from the hospital by the girls father, they were holding up film that she had burned images in with her mind. Remember, they were asking her how she was able to do it.

The girl is pure evil, or somthing along those lines. When she was killed, her soul/essence was stuck in that well. Years later someone built that retreat and placed that one cabin right overtop of the well. She found a video tape in that cabin, and was able to burn images onto it.

She wants her story known, about what happened to her. That's why if you make a copy and give it to someone, you don't die. You fulfilled what she wanted, she wanted to spread what happened to her. The people that don't do what she wants, she kills. In the Japanese version, the kids actually tape over the instructions about making a copy. I'm not sure if that happened in this version or not. :)

The tape actually transfers her experiences into you, so after 7 days you die, just like she did. That's why there is a puddle of water around the corpses when they are found. And they also look like they are waterlogged. I'm sure more will be explained in the sequels. Check out that website, they have alot of info about the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Some people really don't have a knack for the obvious. I'm pretty thick (though I'm told I'm quite bright) and I totally got all of this...

Perhaps I can suggest simpler fare for those who need everything spelt out for them... :D

J/K :crazed:

master jedi
11-04-2002, 03:27 PM
I had a bootleg and I wasnt paying attention to every detail when I was watching it 'cause I was doing other thing on my computer.

QLD
11-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Unfortunately........I saw Armageddon, and it was so bad, it killed me.....and that was the last thing I saw before I died!!

Talk about a horror movie!! :eek:

SQueek
11-05-2002, 01:00 PM
wow this was one of the best movies ive seen in a long time, its up there with figh club. oh and thanks for explaining some of the stuff in this thread it helped me understand it a little bit better.

do they have the japanese versions on US DVD? subtitles? dubed?

Beast
11-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Nope, the Japanese films are not available here in the states. The rights to release them went with the option to make the new movie, so hopefully it will be done. Sadly their is a huge lack of alot of Japanese movies here in the states. Part of it is due to the Japanese movie companies, that don't want to release them over here.

Even the ones that do get released are given shoddy treatement. Just look at the Japanese Godzilla films. Cut to hell, little to no extras, expensive, and no original japanese language tracks. Over in Japan, most of the Godzilla films are full blown 2-disc S.E.'s with tons of extras. Of course they run between $60-$100 for the DVD's. :(

Part of the reason the US doesn't get stuff like this, is because they would be reasonably priced. Which means that Japanese citazens could import the special editions cheaper, then what they cost over there. That's also why they don't have the Japanese language tracks. :greedy: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SQueek
11-05-2002, 09:38 PM
and like 3 people in the us know japanese....

Beast
11-05-2002, 09:44 PM
It's a heck of a lot more then a measly 3 people. But that's not the point. Japanese movies should be presented as they were originally made. With Japanese dialogue tracks. Not these basterdized dubbed versions that we get here. Original language tracks and subtitles, the way foreign movies should be seen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
I would say a good bit of the population in Seattle speaks Japanese.

:)

neonblade
12-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Let's put it this way-----------------------

Walking outta the screen---------- tv fuzz

Lets jus say when i put my t.v on i was ready to run