PDA

View Full Version : look here :)

Republic-Gunship-pl
10-30-2002, 08:06 AM
i did'nt realise that these af would get so expensive in so little time i have

prince xizors virago ship but now you have to pay £39 for 1 flippin heck

on this site here (http://www.r2dtoys.com/store/store.pl?action=search&category=25&textsearch=&sub_category=-1&sub_category2=-1&id=248)

main page of site is here (http://www.r2dtoys.com/store/store.pl)

plus a millenium falcon is rare ? here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1782829801)

anyway if anyone has any new info on anything to do with the republic gunship or republic gunship pilots plz e-mail me @ (subsonicsony@hotmail.com) cheers

can't wait to get this pilot (http://www.r2dtoys.com/store/store.pl?action=display_picture&id=256)

good shot jansen
10-30-2002, 09:23 AM
the original release of the falcon in '97 is considered somewhat rare, as it was a tail ender released just as galoob was gearing up for episode I. this resulted in the falcon not being shipped in great numbers. it was part of the wave which also included the t-16 skyhopper, and the imperial landing craft.

what does make the original single boxed version (the falcon was 1st released as a toys r us exclusive, limited two pack release, the 2nd ship in the two pack was a tie interceptor, and the package was labled "classic duels), somewhat collectable, is that some (not all) of the falcons shipped in 97 came with a personalized inscription from Jim Fong (JKF), the director of the entire micro machines line for galoob, dedicating the ship to his son, as well as all the action fleet fans. the inscription includes his signature.

the initially released falcons did not contain the inscription, it was added at a later date for subsequent shippings of the vehicle. the two pack classic duels falcon does not contain the inscription.

also, the original falcon has a firing missle, which the newly released hasbro falcon does not have.

in light of the above, a single boxed, galoob falcon from 97 is indeed considered somewhat rare, and if it happens to be one of the falcons which contain the inscription, it most definately is rare.

Republic-Gunship-pl
10-30-2002, 10:44 AM
i have got a millenium falcon with a firing missle (don't think it has message thou)

who can answer this question

1)i have the virago/missle-firing-millenium-falcon/and imperial landing craft

all in excellent condition with boxes

if i was going to sell these 3 (which i won't) how much do you reckon i could get ?

good shot jansen
10-30-2002, 11:56 AM
each of those fetch about $35.00 apiece on ebay (sometimes more, sometimes less).

always keep in mind, that there are always people who want the things that you don't want, and perhaps they may have something that you want, and a trade might be arranged to the satisfaction of both parties.

we've been brokering trades for years here at ssg, and have had quite a high success rate and getting the right toys into the hands of the right people :)

you said that you are not gonna sell, but in case you decide to, before shilling on ebay, consider working a trade here, i'm sure there's something that you want, and the three ships you mentioned are indeed pretty decent trade fodder.

Tibor
10-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi GSJ,

Where on the Action Fleet Falcon does the inscription appear (when it is present)?

Tibor

SWAFMAN
10-31-2002, 10:27 PM
(I'm not GSJ, but...)

It's inside the rear area, under the flip-up panel.

good shot jansen
11-01-2002, 06:35 AM
thanx fer jumpin' in swafguy! :)

Tibor
11-01-2002, 09:06 AM
Oh. So I would need to open 'er up and peak. Hmm. Maybe I'll live in suspense for a while longer. Thanks for the info!
T

SWAFMAN
11-02-2002, 02:01 AM
Tibor, I know how you feel. My opened one was bought already loose from a seller off eBay, and doesn't include the inscription. I have sealed box versions of the single-packed and "classic duels" falcons. I'd really like to have an opened one with the inscription, but I don't want to open my selaed ones!

To quote Haggie... Ack !!

good shot jansen
11-03-2002, 10:57 AM
1st of all, i personally have never seen the inscription, i always assumed it would be exactly where swafster said it would be. it makes the most amount of sense for it to be there.

but in reality, it ain't.

i just received word from a very reliable source (along with a photo to prove it), that not only do you have to open up the box to see if you indeed have an inscription falcon, you need to open the falcon itself.:eek:

the inscription is inside the hull (just below the radar dish), the only way to view it, is to pop the screws, and pry the ship in two:sur:

i was able to do it pretty easily with my flacon from the classic duel two pack (and as i feared, no inscription was present), (most importantly, i was able to put it all back together ......whew!:) ) i have a single pack falcon, as well as the new hasbro falcon at the office, on monday, i will pry those two apart as well, and see if maybe the inscription is indeed included with the new hasbro falcon. (it should be, unless they grinded the mold).

what i did notice (and jt had made note of it as well upoin viewing swaffy's comparsion photos of the new and old falcon), the falcon which comes with the classic duels set has 4 screws on the bottom, the new hasbro, as well as my single pack falcon only has three screws (not counting the two in the mandible section), another varient i noticed between the classic duel and the single pack version is the painted effects on the ship. on the single pack version, the battle marks around the damage in the top hulls plating is in the shape of an "L", the classic duel set's scorching is limited to just around the damage hull plating section. also the scorch mark towards the rear portion of the ship is different between the two versions, the classic duels scorching is located partly on the lift up engine compartment portion, and partly on the top hull portion. the single pack damage scorching is located entirely on the lift up engine compartment portion. the type of scorching used on the two ships are of two completely different configurations.

finally, the myth of the inscription is finally revealed. i will report on monday after i've completed surgery :eek:

Republic-Gunship-pl
11-03-2002, 11:10 AM
holy s*** hmmm shall i do it or not lol

i don't want to ruin my missle firing falcon baby lol

but i must have a peek well i'll have a look l8er i'll live in suspense a lil longer lol

:eek:

good shot jansen
11-03-2002, 11:25 AM
actually you don't have to worry about the missle firing mechanism, it's completely enclosed and contained within it's own compartment, mounted in the top portion of the hull (it's brilliant how it was designed), the button you push to fire it, extends from the mechanism compartment like a trigger, with just the top nub protruding from the bottom of the hull. if you take yours apart, you won't mess up the mechanism at all.

just make sure you have a sharp, well pointed phillips screw driver that's narrow enough to fit within the countersinking of the screws without damaging the plastic within and around.

once the screws are removed, grasp the two halves, and gently pull until the top and bottom portions have seperated.

putting it back together was very simple, everything lined up perfectly, it all fastened back together very nicely.

Republic-Gunship-pl
11-03-2002, 11:36 AM
cheers for the info :) i'll post sometime when i do it wether i have the message or not lol

all hail g-s-j

sicqnus
11-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Hi Good Shot',

many thanks for the info.
I checked my 1997 Falcon today and I have the little dedication in it... (cool). I've always loved all these secret features !

To "Republic-Gunship-pl" : Don't worry, it's quite easy to dismantle the two parts of the ship. All the little pieces stays in place. I just had to push the screwdriver just below the missile hole and the ship has opened itself like a burger... :D

Note : My Falcon box came from the "2228CM6 serie.

Sicqnus. ;)

JediTricks
11-03-2002, 08:28 PM
You know, I actually posted exactly where this inscription was and how the trouble with the glue holding the 2 halves together almost broke my Falcon waaaaaaay back on the old Buzz Board. Not that I'm tooting my own horn or anything. ;)

BTW, I'm mondo-impressed that anybody was able to get any sort of photo of the inscription at all as I've tried for quite a while without success. Of course, seeing it in person gave me a new idea but now my camera isn't working right so I'll have to wait.

Tibor
11-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Thanks GSJ and SWAFMAN,

I have an open Falcon from a "duel" set and it took 6 screws (4 in the bottom and one in the bottom of each mandible) to open it up, and then the outer edge of the cockpit side mandible was still glued. But I had enough space to peek in and sure enough, no inscription. (whew - my son plays with that one).

I think for now, the single ship might hold it's secrets for a while longer. Thanks Siqcnus for the series number tip ... I guess there's no way to know if that always indicates a signature ship, but it's fun to check.
T

good shot jansen
11-04-2002, 07:13 AM
the new hasbro saga falcon, does indeed have the inscription! hasbro never grinded it out of the mold.

jkf's touching words, dedicating action fleet to his son, and all us fans will live on forever!

what makes this a peculiarity, is that the inscription falcon is not the rare one:eek: , the non-inscription one is actually the rare one.

i'm guessing that all of the single boxed falcons come with the inscription, and it's only the classic duel two pack version which does not have it.

i will bring my classic duel falcon to the office tomorrow, where i can scan that and the single falcon together showing the differences between the two.

Tibor
11-04-2002, 08:53 AM
Figures. You only find out things are rare after you've let the jawas have their way with them...

Ah well, they are toys after all.
T

haggie
11-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
To quote Haggie... Ack !!

LOL! I'm quoting Bill the Cat!
<--- For those of you who don't know of Bloom County, Bill is this guy right here.

SWAFMAN
11-04-2002, 09:24 PM
DOH !!!
Sorry about the bum steer, Tibor! I should only have replied if I'd seen it with my own eyes.

GSJ - I removed the screws and tried to pry my Saga Falcon apart, but got cold feet when the glue didn't give way easily. My loose OT version came apart fairly easliy, but alas, no inscription in that one :(

I'm now battling the irrational impulse to see if my local Target still has the one or two saga falcons that have been there for the last month+ and break the glue to look for the inscription. The way my AF luck has been running lately, the falcons at that store will finally sell the minute before I cave-in to my urge to go buy one! ;)

Finally, thanks again Haggie, for sending those ships. I'll e-mail you when they get here, and I've taken care of things with you via Paypal.

sicqnus
11-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Like Haggie ("Ack !"), I've opened one from one of my "Classic Duels : no inscription. I tried to take some pics of the inscription with a Nikon 50mm zoom. But honestly I doubt I will have good pictures because it's very small and almost impossible to catch with my classic reflex camera... I will try to catch a Nikon Coolpix (best digital camera I've ever seen) from a friend of mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------<
- "So what's the deal man ?...
- Well. Imagine a new world, a better world, a peaceful world with no war at all and a lot of happy people !
What do you think about that ?
(...)
- "...I'm thinking... You better stop taking drugs man !"

good shot jansen
11-05-2002, 06:54 AM
the main differences between the single pack falcon, and the classic duel falcon is the scorch/weathering marks.

i've circled up the three different scorch marks on the photo attached.

another difference that i noticed (which unfortunately does not show up clearly on this scan), a different mold was used for the two falcons. where the cockpit module begins to take shape from the main hull, there is some finer additional detailing that is included with the classic duel falcon, that is not present on the single pack version. (i will try and take a close up scan so that it is apparent and visable)

also, the blue color of the engine exhaust area is a different shade of blue between the two versions. the classic duel falcon has a very light sky blue appearance, while the single pack version is deeper and richer in color. still a sky blue, but almost bordering on royal blue.

the only difference that i noted on the bottom between the two, is that the classic duel falcon has 4 screws in the main hull section, while the single pack version only has three

good shot jansen
11-05-2002, 07:17 AM
here is a side by side comparison of the two different top molds of the falcon, showing the differences in the detailing between the classic duel and the single pack falcon at the connection point of the cockpit module to the main hull

i know it ain't much to write home about, but i love the fact that after all these years, we're still finding wonderous things to talk about regarding this fantastic toy!

Republic-Gunship-pl
11-05-2002, 09:31 AM
i've been reunited with my af stuff after i survived the loft assault course lol

anyway i got millenium falcon and had a look the marks look like the same marks as the top falcon in your picture but the cockpit bit does'nt have those little circle bits but i have got four screws in the bottom but i can't find a screwdriver small enough lol ahhh
well when i find out the final verdict i post it :)

red dwarf clip lol (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/reddwarf/video/popup_s7_beyond_a_joke.html)

RED-DWARF:Lister: "I tell you one thing. I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

l8ers from you friendly brit republic_gunship_pilot :)

Tibor
11-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Hi SWAFMAN,

Don't worry. My Jawa (and an occaisional little friend of his) have had the Duel Falcon for about 6 months now, and Lando has long since disappeared. It is currently crewed by a B-wing pilot, a Y-wing astromech, a tie pilot and Vader without his cape. I know sacrilege, but it makes perfect sense to a (nearly) 4 year old. I'm please to report that despite a lot of crew changes, the ship has held up well to all that attention.

Tibor

JediTricks
11-05-2002, 09:23 PM
GSJ, the SB version has 4 screws on the bottom main section just like the CD version. Are you referring to the new Saga version?

There's even MORE minutae that separates the CD Falcon from the Original SB version:

- Starboard mandible outer edge front top-half: small rectangle w/ 2 small vertical rectangles coming down in it is a rhomboid shape on the CD version and the small vertical rectangles are a different shape too;
- similar shape issue on the next item in on this section of the mandible;
- similar issue on the item on this section past the 2 cylinders;
- (Definite change) port docking ring details on CD falcon are off to the left by .231 of an inch while SB is correctly .191 of an inch, that may not sound like a lot, but the CD is definitely visually off-center;
- (Definite change) different screws used on both main and manidble sections between 2 vehicles, most noticably the flat screwheads on the CD mandibles compared to the rounded ones on the SB (btw, the SB screws are all slightly softer and more prone to rust than the CD ones);
- (Definite change) SB version has a small line w/box indentation from the center "wall" of the mandible right above the mandible screw opening on both sides where the CD has not;
- the SB's stand hole post is noticably thicker than the CD's, the SB's is .106" from outside to in while the CD's is only .087" (this almost completely covers up the small liney detail box just aft of the hole post on the SB);
- the SB has on the inside of the main hull opening door above the engines a backwards hand-drawn-looking "2"s inside both of the center indentations (where the vents are on the outside), the CD does not;
- the openable deck plate has a raised line in the center on the SB but not on the CD;
- finally, the inside of the deck plate on the CD has two "outie" mold points near the hinge while the SB has 2 "innie"s, and the SB has a small hole right above the punch-out where the handle is.

Some of those could conceivably be written off as molding issues, but there are a few that are definite changes. Up until tonight, I didn't know that the SB version had the off-center docking hatch details fixed. Oh, and I actually did get out the micrometer and check these things.

Finally, the SAGA version is definitely based off the Classic Duels mold, the extra bridge tunnel details, the lack of line-box at the mandibles, and especially the off-center docking ring all correspond to the Classic Duels mold being the basis.

good shot jansen
11-06-2002, 06:34 AM
my sb version definately has only 3 screws (as does the new saga one). only my cd version has 4 screws.

i did notice some of the other differences that you mentioned above, but only noted the detail at the intersection of the cockpit module and the hull (bridge tunnel section), cause i was able to scan that particular difference with enough detail to post it.

you're right about the mold of the saga being based on the the cd version, what's funny though, is that the saga has the inscription (like the sb version), yet the cd version (which appears to be the mold that was used for the saga version), does not have the inscription.

JediTricks
11-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Aw crap! Are you 100% sure the original single boxed (SB) main body has 3 screws and not 4? Because mine has 4 so if that's the case, I smell a variant on an already-rare SW toy and I hate this sort of variant where it drives up the aftermarket price and rarity. Oh well, it is interesting.

good shot jansen
11-07-2002, 06:37 AM
three screws for the sb is affirmative. i rechecked last night. i was gonna bring the sb and cd to work today to scan the bottoms for ya, but things were a little chaotic this morning in the jansen household, and i arrived empty handed. i will try and get the bottoms scanned tomorrow. (come to think of it, i think i still owe sicqnus a scan of the striped x-ray sets V, VI, and VII)

i'll try and remember to bring everything in tomorrow, and get those scans done.

sicqnus
11-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Very kind to you GSJ.
Many thanks.

more smileys :
[-o-] Tie fighter
(-<>-) Sith Infiltrator

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Ramirez ! El más grande traficante de juguetes del quartel de Micromachin' :
"Tengo dos Cessnas para escoltar las próximas entregas de flota acción !"

Aïe Caramba ! Ramírez es demasiado fuerte !!!

shinakuma43
06-04-2004, 10:40 AM
I jus read this post due to the link given in another post trying to figure out the 3 screw Falcon variation (sorry for not remembering who put the link, your thanks would be here if I weren't so lazy, lol). Anyways, I'm surprised I just found out what was posted 2 years ago. Until today I thought Jim Fong's inscription was inside the rear hatch and I jsut never found one. I haven't unscrewed it to check, but I'll probably try it later on if I can find a small screw driver. Anyways RobertDD was asking if I knew anythign about the 3 screw variation and so I needed to find out. It turns out that the only extra Falcon I have is the variation, I have one single packed Falcon with 4 screws and one with 3. If you turn the falcon upside down and face the rear towards your self, the screw in the upper right hand section is the one which isn;t always present. I'm not sure why they did that, they had to rework the mold since there is no spot for the screw. I was probably another cost cutting idea by Galoob, one less screw in each Falcon I guess would add up to a couple dollars in Galoob's bank account, lol.

Later,
S43

Warstar
06-04-2004, 03:38 PM
My 4-screw Single Pack Falcon has the inscription upon opening and inspecting ^_^

This made me happy...and all the more reluctant to sell it as I must :(

sergiurusu
06-05-2004, 05:27 AM
look at my saga Falcon (it's painted only half of the thruster): :confused:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7052/AFFalconsaga01.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5429/AFFalconsaga02.jpg