PDA

View Full Version : McQuarrie SketchTrooper - We May See It Soon

Beast
10-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Someone sent the news into GalacticHunter.com, that Hasbro's Star Wars site has pages ready to showcase the upcoming Imperial SketchTrooper. No pictures there yet, but the pages are ready for them to be dropped in. So it could be any day now. The three pages are labeled, "McQuarrie Stormtrooper - Before and After", "McQuarrie Stormtrooper - Sculpt", and "McQuarrie Stormtrooper - Painting". :)

http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=175
http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=176
http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=177

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-30-2002, 11:24 PM
Yeah I noticed that too. Knowing Hasbro, its going to take them a year to get that picture up after they made the page. For crying out loud, they still haven't posted the pictures of the new figures they said were "Coming Soon". I think soon has come and gone, a long long time ago.

Beast
10-30-2002, 11:29 PM
They never said they were going to show all the 2003 figure pictures. They only mostly showed the ones for January. Rember that they had the loose shots up for "Yoda: High Jedi Council" long before we even knew it was coming. Some of the figures they want to wait a bit, before showing us more. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-30-2002, 11:45 PM
Of course they had loose shots up of the new Yoda because all they had to do was go get the old EPI one, and take a picture of it. ;)

But anyway, back to the subject...

I sure hope this Stormtrooper is good. It better not be just a commtech with a lightsaber. For a Fan's Choice figure, I want a new scuplt, a unique lightsaber (differant color, cool hilt), and some other never-seen-before accessory.

Sidiously Darth
10-30-2002, 11:52 PM
How about a never before seen character that was actually in the movies?

I still think that last fan poll was a sham.:mad:

Still, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to churn this thing out.:rolleyes:

Banthaholic
10-31-2002, 12:34 AM
I can't wait to get this one so I can file it next to such other great concepts such as the EU AirSpeeder, Deluxe Smuggling Han, and Cold Adventure Obi Wan.

I agree with Sidiously Darth on this one, how it won, I'll never know. I suppose I'm just a sore loser since I wanted my Imperial Dignitary.

Beast
10-31-2002, 12:42 AM
I'm was incredibly disapointed it won also. Especially considering that two of the figures that lost, constantly appear on fan's most wanted lists. I haven't seen to many SketchTroopers on them. But looking at the artwork it's going to be based on, I may be able to live with it. :)

I've been wanting a movie accurate Imperial SpaceTrooper. And the piece of art that McQuarrie did, looks exactly like that trooper from ANH. So I am hoping that I will be able to get another extremly obscure figure for my collection. I'll just ditch the EU shield and crappy lightsaber to my parts box. :D

I would have preferred the Imperial Dignitary or even General Carlist Rieeken, but I will accept the Imperial SketchTrooper if it looks like the Imperial SpaceTrooper. Besides, the losers have a strange way of getting made anyway, if they do well in the poll. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-31-2002, 01:09 AM
I'm definitely taking a 'wait and see' approach to this figure. I haven't ruled it out completely, but am not exactly on the edge of my seat waiting for it. Chances are about 95% that I will not buy it.

Jargo
10-31-2002, 10:00 AM
I fail to see how they could re-use any parts and call it a new figure. Surely this one will be a one pose wonder, posed just as he is in the artwork with little use at all besides completists displays. No use releasing a trooper if you can't build a mini army of them should you want to. That's why the neutral poses work better Hasbro, Neutral poses with articulation. Simple solutions for a better way of collecting. Shove the super poses on the unleashed - 'things'...

I'm interested to see how they do this figure, I won't be shy and admit that I'm ready to be surprised, but not expecting to be.

JEDIpartner
10-31-2002, 10:17 AM
I can't get the pages to display any of the pictures... :(

187-Maul
10-31-2002, 10:36 AM
there are no pictures JEDIpartnr, but they should be up soon cause the pages are already there

I just hope he looks like in the picture, then I'll be ahppy and buy one, maybe even more
I voted for him, so I hope hasbro won't screw him up

JEDIpartner
10-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Ahhhhh... I thought I was losing my mind- or my COMPUTER was losing ITS mind!

The page looks half done anyhow...

Darth Evil
11-01-2002, 02:08 PM
I really am unsure of what to think of this figure. I'll pass judgement when I see it, I suppose.

Turbowars
11-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Man, don't get us started on the that fixed poll again! Hasbro's Web site in trash, it always has been and always will be. We get way better info from here & other sites like Galactic Hunter and (RS?). I don't care about the site anyways, I just want the toys Damn it!

Jargo
11-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Y'know i wish hasbro would randomise the case assortments so there's a wider distribution of stuff. Figures stick around for a longer period but there's a real turnover since there's never pegloads of the same figure. Because a wider section of people get what they want on repeated visits the sales should rise and the stock turnaround should be faster since the pegs empty faster. Four of this and two of that is a stupid way to pack a case. I like having older figures around longer so i can go back and army build bit by bit rather than having to grab 'em while they're out and hope to get what i want before hasbro recalls the pegwarmers or whatever the hell they're doing now.
I want to see distribution go back to the way it was in the days of the original kenner toys. No matter when you went looking you'd find something you wanted.
Sorry, that has nothing to do with this thread but it made me want to type it anyway. It was the last line of Turbo's post that prompted me...

Carry on.....

Death Star Gimp
11-01-2002, 06:21 PM
I suspect I will pick this item up at a convention if it's reasonably priced as it doesn't excite me at all. Again, to reiterate what has been said the poll was a farce (I couldn't vote, the site didn't recognise my access code or password, even when I changed it twice) therefore future Hasbro polls I will treat with some scepticism. I'd much rather have pictures of Aayla Secura.

I would love to see a collectors web site run it's own poll on figures just for a bit of fun - say one poll every fortnight.

Turbowars
11-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Every fortnight? Sure.;)

Death Star Gimp
11-01-2002, 06:40 PM
D'ya think there's anyone brave or smart enough to set this up? I'm gonna start a new thread

mark2d2
11-01-2002, 07:18 PM
This is just one figure that I really do NOT care about.

Boring.

I was so devastated that it won. More than that, I was really surprised. I was -- like -- what? People actually want this guy? Okay, whatever...

PS -- That's a really great idea, Gimp.

QLD
11-01-2002, 07:37 PM
I can't wait for this figure! I think it will look fantastic, and I can't wait for them to make even more EU figures! Bring them on!!

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
this figure has received mixed blessing. I would buy it! i like how the concept stormtrooper looked. i just hope the prototypes and finished product turn out good.

kadamontaga
11-07-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm really excited about this figure. Depending on how well the articulation turns out I might buy 5-10 of them.
Troopers with lightsabers!!
http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=89

BanthaPoodoo
11-07-2002, 03:26 PM
But the saber is a jedi's (or force masters) weapon!!! Since when do foot soldiers carry sabers??

IMHO it's not a good idea. I so wanted Rieeken to win....
Oh well, maybe he'll get made some day!

Beast
11-07-2002, 03:31 PM
I would have to say, so far now that we have pictures, that it looks pretty good. Here, I'll put up the picture of the design sketches. Looks like he will have a blaster, lightsaber, shield, and a stand. Very cool, plus the articulation is pretty nice. I hope that all figures next year are gonna end up with stands. And this part of the info is very cool. I wonder if all sabers from now on, will use this method? :)

The sculpt input gives detailed instructions to the sculptor as to the structure, scale, and texture of the model. Additionally, the parts breakdown and articulation of a figure, as well as any accessories or special features that the figure has are denoted on the sculpt input. This figure will come with a lightsaber, blaster rifle, and shield. In addition to the lightsaber and shield, the figure will have ball-and-socket shoulder articulation, elbow, leg, and left-hand articulation, and come with a blaster rifle that will fit in the holster. The figure will also come with a base representing the concept for the floor of the Death Star corridor.

Redinger also tells us that "a new and different process is being used on this figure in regards to the lightsaber. In order to get a realistic lightsaber effect, the clear blue color will be have an insert molded glow-in-the-dark core. If you notice in the movies, the lightsaber effects show a hot white blade with the color of the lightsaber blade emanating on the edges. This is a totally new and innovative approach to the manufacture of the lightsaber, in order to give it a realistic look."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I would have to say, so far now that we have pictures, that it looks pretty good.

[Redinger also tells us that "a new and different process is being used on this figure in regards to the lightsaber. In order to get a realistic lightsaber effect, the clear blue color will be have an insert molded glow-in-the-dark core. If you notice in the movies, the lightsaber effects show a hot white blade with the color of the lightsaber blade emanating on the edges. This is a totally new and innovative approach to the manufacture of the lightsaber, in order to give it a realistic look."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks [/B]

the light saber should look cool! the figure sketches look great too! looking forward to this figure.

Beast
11-07-2002, 03:52 PM
So, now that they have a new way of making the lightsabers more movie accurate, anyone want to bet that we'll see a ton of re-sculpts using the new lightsaber method. Not that I would really complain, I think it's a great idea. Alot more movie accurate then any of the past lightsabers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 04:01 PM
So, now that they have a new way of making the lightsabers more movie accurate, anyone want to bet that we'll see a ton of re-sculpts using the new lightsaber method. Not that I would really complain, I think it's a great idea. Alot more movie accurate then any of the past lightsabers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

i'll bet my ship, the millenium falcon, we'll see a ton of re-sculpts using the new lightsaber method.

on second though, forget the bet.

187-Maul
11-07-2002, 04:14 PM
the figs looks to be turning out pretty well - just as I had hoped
nice new way for the lightsabers, and they won't break that fast now (I guess)
I think I'll even get multiples of the trooper (maybe 3 or so) so that I pose one with the saber, one with the blaster in hand, and one with saber and shield

Lord Tenebrous
11-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Resculpts? Sure, we have Yoda and Kit Fisto in the Clone Wars series, but Hasbro knows full well about the benefits of accessory sets.

They're still doing a good job with this figure. Lightsaber, blaster pistol, shield, and base is a nice package. Great detail, down to the damage on the shield. I don't plan on ever using the lightsaber with the figure, but as an army builder, this is great. :)

LTBasker
11-07-2002, 04:20 PM
I really hope they don't put in the stands and the new lightsaber stuff. It's just gonna give them a reason to push the price up..

Overall the trooper doesn't look bad, I just hope they keep that lightsaber exclusive to it and maybe other 'special' figures but no major basic figures like how they're butchering the next Mace Windu with that total control thing when we're still in need of a regular one.

Hopefully those features are just going into it just because it's a Fan's choice.

Annnnyyways, even though it's only got one hand articulation, maybe this means it'll be able to hold it's blaster with both hands? Given that he isn't also holding the shield of course. I think I'll have to pick up a small squad of these. :)

Jargo
11-07-2002, 04:20 PM
It would be easier to just pack an xaccessory set containing all the sabers with the new look so you could furnish your figures with better accessories rather than have to shell out for figures that aren't so hot just to get an accessory.

I'm still not overly impressed with this. If it stays neutrally posed I don't suppose it'l look that bad considering the articulation wil allow for other poses that way, but if they give it 'dynamic' posing the articulation will be wasted. I suppose if you bought a few you could pretend they were interim troopers somewhere between the PT and the OT. If you used a little imagination that is. I'll have to see the sculpt first to make up my mind one way or the other. But yeah, basicaly the design just doesn't excite me. I'd rather have had news of the rest of the basic figures before this. This is not likely to hit shelves until at least late summer so why bother to show it now? The rest of the basic figures are due in january or spring so as far as I'm concerned they have a higher priority.
I'd have taken a sneak peek at the lars homestead screen scene sets over this anyday. Just totally uninspiring.

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
This is not likely to hit shelves until at least late summer so why bother to show it now?

one reason is to create some hype for this figure. A teaser in movie lingo.

Beast
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
LTBasker, the inclusion of stands is not going to push the price back up. The stands are just plastic bases, no need for that to cause the price to go back. It's not like they are paying likeness rights on a cheesy plastic base. :p :)

I don't know, I prefer the new design idea for the lightsabers. Much more movie accurate then past versions. Plus the flare at the bottom looks to be less pronounced. That should make you happy atleast.

So far, that means we have atleast 6 figures coming with bases next year. Anakin: Wedding, Tusken Raider, Padme: Factory, Aayla Secura, RA-7 aka Flo-Bot, and SketchTrooper. I hope the rest do as well. I love the idea. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Cruel
11-07-2002, 09:48 PM
I am anticipating this figure in a big way! I think it is great that they are going beyond the confines of the movies to give us a larger number of figures. It is one of very few saving graces for Hasbro. Be patient everyone. We will be getting all of the figures we want (sans articulation of course).

I would also like to see behind-the scenes figures of the actors in half costumes. Maybe a camera crew. GL...no wait...never mind him. But the make-up guys and girls would be cool. Maybe the gaffer, the grip, the key grip, the best boy grip, the assistant to Mr. Lucas, the editors, the casting people, and lets not forget the dolly grip...

2-1B
11-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Plus the flare at the bottom looks to be less pronounced. That should make you happy at least.

Not me. :D

If they are going to use flare, I think they should do the whole blade like that. If they are not going to do the whole blade like that, I think they should not use flare.
This business of compromising between the two makes it look cheap to me. :)

JEDIpartner
11-08-2002, 10:35 AM
I really like this figure... It looks like it will have plenty of articulation and some cool accessories. I personally would like to see a McQuarrie Vader come to pass as well!

SirSteve
11-08-2002, 10:47 AM
I really don't care for this figure.... it's nothing exciting to me.

pthfnder89
11-08-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
I really don't care for this figure.... it's nothing exciting to me.
Bah ;)

This was the first Mcquarrie design I ever saw when I was younger and it's what really got me interested in his other conceptual designs. I've been excited about this figure since they announced it and it looks to be pretty great. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-08-2002, 05:37 PM
Can't wait, I love the new sabers and the figure! It would be cool if most of the figures came with bases, and ones that were in the same scenes could connect (like C-3PO and Padmé). Then there could be a big ol' Star Wars universe. :)

evenflow
11-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
I agree with Sidiously Darth on this one, how it won, I'll never know. I suppose I'm just a sore loser since I wanted my Imperial Dignitary.

I totally agree. This was a waste of a fan choice poll.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2002, 08:56 PM
It appears that the blade will stick all the way into the saber, and will probably be harder to break off. :)