PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Lee in Harry Potter? He's In Everything!

Prince Xizor
10-30-2002, 10:54 PM
The current rumor is that Christopher Lee is going to take the place of the late Rich Harris in Harry Potter. Ok so if he get's the part, not only will he have major parts in Star Wars, and Lord Of The Rings, but now Harry Potter. This man is going to be swimming in money.

But he is that damn good, so more power to him.

Beast
10-30-2002, 11:00 PM
Don't forget the fact that he's also one of the most well known Dracula's. And his hundreds of other roles over the years. He's the English Ben Affleck*, he's in everything. I don't think he needs these newer movies to be swimming in money. I'd say he has a very comfortable living even before those three roles. ;) :D

*Note that I mean Ben Affleck, in the number of roles he's taken over the years. Not the quality of the actor. Benny boy isn't fit to carry Christopher Lee's coat. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-30-2002, 11:14 PM
So has this been confirmed? Or is the WB still in talks with CL? Also I believe CL was up for the part of Dumbledor(sp?) before Harris, but he turned it down since he was so busy.

Beast
10-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Well, Christopher Lee's official website is still saying they are in negotiations. So nothing concrete yet on whether he has it or not. I believe you are right, as I remember reading that also. Christopher Lee had to turn it down, due to the fact he was shooting Star Wars and LOTR's at the same time.

Now that he's done with LOTR's, and he'll likely only have a small part in EIII, I don't see what would keep him from accepting the part. It shocked me for a bit that he was being considered, but I think he would do a great job. I guess when you play a bad guy so well, a kindly old wizard is kinda a shock. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
10-31-2002, 08:34 AM
I heard someone else is going to play Dumblebore but I wasn't sure what the name was but it wasn't Lee.

Pendo
10-31-2002, 08:39 AM
I hope he does play Dumbledore, Lee is a BRILLIANT actor! He has always been one of my faves, I love ALL the movies he's in. I'll certainly look forward to seeing him in action if he does do the role :). I just hope doing Potter 3 won't interfere with his Star Wars 3 schedule.

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
10-31-2002, 08:49 AM
shoulda been Peter Otoole...

Eternal Padawan
10-31-2002, 09:13 AM
Heh. Peter O'toole's name has a double phallic entendre. :evil:

Prince Xizor
11-01-2002, 10:45 AM
I find it amusing that Christopher Lee, being an old man, has an official website. The guy probably couldn't even turn on a computer.

LTBasker
11-01-2002, 03:33 PM
This was posted on another message board:

This comes from Thursdays news over at Cinescape...
Christopher Lee has issued a statement on his Web site that addresses the rumors swirling about regarding his possible inheritance of the role of Professor Dumbledore in the HARRY POTTER films. We reproduce Mr. Lee's words in full.

"In view of the ever increasing speculation about the possibility of me playing Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film, I wish to make it totally clear that at no time have I ever been approached to play this part.

"The quote in some newspapers 'That I was approached 3 years ago and turned it down' is completely untrue.

"The situation has never arisen and in view of the fact that Richard Harris has only been dead for a few days, it would be inappropriate and distasteful for me to make any further comment.

The originator of the role, Richard Harris, died on Friday in a London hospital due to cancer.

So I wonder if they've even had anyone in mind other than Harris' Dumbledore double?

Jayspawn
11-02-2002, 11:06 AM
I'd really like to see Christophr Lee in Harry Potter. But since I'm all about continuity, I hope Lee can bring the kind f softness that Richard Harris had to Dumbledore.

hango fett
11-02-2002, 06:35 PM
well...i heard that the extra for dumbldore in the first and second movie will play him. he is just like him!
h

Beast
01-01-2003, 11:42 AM
According to E! Online, Michael Gambon has been tapped to play Headmaster Albus Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film "Prisoner of Azkaban".

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,11044,00.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
01-04-2003, 01:14 PM
I couldn't really care less about Harry Potter, I just think it's an over rated, glorified childrens tale, but I do think that Christopher Lee would be very out of place, He always plays the villian, and I couldn't see him with a soft gentle voice, it's just not him, he would be way out of place.

Jayspawn
01-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Well it's official, Sir Ian McKellen will play Professor Albus Dumbledore in "Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban."

I think it's a great choice as McKellen is a great actor. It'll be interesting to see how he looks in a beard, as not to look like Gandalf.

The Overlord Returns
01-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Well it's official, Sir Ian McKellen will play Professor Albus Dumbledore in "Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban."

I think it's a great choice as McKellen is a great actor. It'll be interesting to see how he looks in a beard, as not to look like Gandalf.

What the hell do you mean, it's official?? According to whom? Mckellen himself has said all along he is not playing Dumbledore. Can you post a link to this "official" announcement?

Last I heard, Michael Gambon was "officially" playing Dumbledore.

Beast
01-06-2003, 02:13 PM
I would like to know myself, because there is no announcement of Sir Ian getting the role. And I checked E! Online, CNN.com, and Sir Ian McKellan's official website. I'll have to doubt the announcement, until I see somthing official. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
01-06-2003, 03:28 PM
I think he's just trying to pull your chain. Ian McKellen is not going to be dumbledore. It would have been a good fit, but the whole time it would seem like Headmaster Gandolf. I'm sure the guy they got will do just fine.

How can you say Harry Potter is over rated? It's an amazing story that has inspired millions of people to read. Further more, who cares if it's a childrens story it's still an amazing story and a world that is filled with as many wounders as the Star Wars Universe and Middle Earth.

The Overlord Returns
01-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
I couldn't really care less about Harry Potter, I just think it's an over rated, glorified childrens tale,

Glorified childrens tale?

It IS A CHILDRENS TALE!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think they are trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes on this one......

Darth Nihilus
01-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Michael Gambon has been confirmed as taking the role of Dumbledore for Episode 3. I'd never heard of him before this but I think he has done plenty of work in the UK.

EricRG
01-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Anyone who likes Chris Lee should watch "The Wicker Man". Great movie with an ending you'd NEVER guess.

Sentinel18725
01-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Ian McKellen has become one of my favorite actors in recent years...good for him!

Beast
01-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Sentinel18725
Ian McKellen has become one of my favorite actors in recent years...good for him!
Umm, are you just not reading the whole thread? Michael Gambon is the one that appears to have gotten the role. E! Online had the announcement the other day. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
01-08-2003, 10:40 AM
From what I read at comingsoon.net, TV Guide and Entertainment Tonight are reporting that this E! report on Gambon is incorrect.

Michael Gambon Not Dumbledore?
Thursday, January 2, 2003 11:19 CST

Both TV Guide and Entertainment Tonight are now saying that E! Online was incorrect in reporting that Michael Gambon was cast as Professor Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

According to both news outlets, Warner Bros. denied both rumors that Michael Gambon or Ian McKellen will play the role. The studio had no further comments about the casting.

Jayspawn
01-08-2003, 12:54 PM
This was the anouncement reguarding Sir Ian McKellan playing Albus Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film. Taken from imdb.com

McKellen Heads to Hogwarts

British acting knight Sir Ian McKellen will replace the late Richard Harris as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the third Harry Potter movie. The 63-year-old star, who also plays wizard Gandalf in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, is set to appear in the third installments of both rival films - after signing to take on the role of the Hogwarts headmaster in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. McKellen takes over the role from Harris - who died of cancer in October. Movie bosses had hoped to cast Harris in the new film - which is due to begin filming in February - by using computer animation and film footage. But they found they did not have the required film available. Fellow Brit Christopher Lee - another Lord Of The Rings star - was among those tipped to replace Harris. A source on the Warner Bros movie set says, "Everyone has been sworn to secrecy about Ian McKellen getting the role of Dumbledore. One of the production staff let it slip and now it is spreading like wild fire. He got the part just before Christmas but Warner's won't announce it until the New Year. Bosses thought he was the perfect replacement for Harris and, as we all know, he is capable of playing the part of a wizard. They are not worried about people getting The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter confused. They are two very different films."

So there it is.

Beast
01-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Ah, that explains it. IMDB is the worst place for movie news. It's usually pretty much inaccurate, most of it is fan submitted, and they really don't check them very well. I'll wait until E! Online, CNN, or Sir Ian's Official website confirms it. Until then, E! Online has reported that Michael Gambon has the role. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
01-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Okay here is some better info.

Prisoner (http://movies.go.com/movies/H/harrypotterandtheprisonerofazkaban_2003/index.html)

Jayspawn
01-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Ok. Well I'm gonna laugh when I see 'Azkaban' and McKellen is playing Dumbledore.

Eternal Padawan
01-17-2003, 11:15 AM
How about the other Azkaban casting news?

Gary Oldman will be playing Harry's godfather, Sirius Black.

Timothy Spall is the conniving Peter Pettigrew. (the only thing off the top of my head that I can remember Spall in was the head roadie in Mark Wahlberg's Rockstar and some indy British movie where he played a cop...maybe it was Wisdom of Crocodiles, but I could be getting my movies mixed up.)

And David Thewlis will play Prof. Lupin, the third Defense against the Dark Arts teacher.

And last I heard, Gambon has the role of Dumbledore.

The Overlord Returns
01-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
How about the other Azkaban casting news?

Gary Oldman will be playing Harry's godfather, Sirius Black.

Timothy Spall is the conniving Peter Pettigrew. (the only thing off the top of my head that I can remember Spall in was the head roadie in Mark Wahlberg's Rockstar and some indy British movie where he played a cop...maybe it was Wisdom of Crocodiles, but I could be getting my movies mixed up.)

And David Thewlis will play Prof. Lupin, the third Defense against the Dark Arts teacher.

And last I heard, Gambon has the role of Dumbledore.

Gary Oldman is great Casting. I haven't read the book, but Oldman always plays the best villains.

Thewlis is a fine choice as well. A I to assume from the characters last name, that he is also a werewolf of somekind?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Well for someone who hasn't read POA has some spoilers coming to them in this thread . . .:p

And does anyone have a pic of any of those three people?

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 10:28 PM
It's official now straight from the studio, Gambon is going to be Dumbledore.

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Here is the article.

The last piece of the Harry Potter casting puzzle has fallen into place. This week it was announced that the late Richard Harris, who famously portrayed Hogwarts Headmaster Professor Dumbledore in the first two Potter films, has been replaced by Sir Michael Gambon in The Prisoner of Azkaban. The casting comes at the last minute, as cameras on the sequel are ready to roll.

The Overlord Returns
02-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Ok. Well I'm gonna laugh when I see 'Azkaban' and McKellen is playing Dumbledore.

So...laughing yet? ;)

icatch9
02-27-2003, 08:14 AM
I don't know why this is news to anyone. I knew about this ages ago. They announced this quite a long time ago. Not long after Richard Harris passed away.

Ian Mckellen would be a good fit, but there is no way he or the exects at Harry Potter would have cast him. First all, Ian wouldn't want to get type cast as a wizard. Playing two wizards in the same year isn't good. It would be like Ben Aflack being DareDevil and Batman in the same year (never going to happen). Second, the WB exects wouldn't cast Ian becasue he's known as Gandolf. So, it would have been like "Introducing the new Headmaster at Hogworts.....Gandolf the White."

So, it's a no brainer. Sure Ian would fit well, but there are way to many reasons not to cast him.