PDA

View Full Version : Jason Mizell aka Jam Master Jay has passed.

scruffziller
10-31-2002, 07:18 AM
A moment of silence.:zzz:

A true hip hop great, he will be tremendously missed.:cry:

*pours a 40 oz. O.E. on the ground*

Pendo
10-31-2002, 08:48 AM
:zzz:

:cry:

:zzz:

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
10-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Who?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-31-2002, 09:22 AM
the DJ Spinmaster of Run DMC. I heard about that today in the news, quite a shame. The rap/hip-hop world is just a dangerous place to be. RIP Jam Master Jay.

The Overlord Returns
10-31-2002, 09:41 AM
people die everyday....I see no reason to mourn someone simply because they grabbed 15 minutes in the spotlight....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Overload- Run DMC has had ALOT of influence on the music business today. If you can't appreciate that or understand that fine, your loss, but don't be an a-- about it. I'm not into rap music at all now a days, but the old school hip hop scene was dominated by Run DMC.

scruffziller
10-31-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
people die everyday....I see no reason to mourn someone simply because they grabbed 15 minutes in the spotlight....

More like over 15 years...in the spotlight.

Exhaust Port
10-31-2002, 10:09 AM
It might sound harsh but a lot of times people are mourned for no other reason than the fact that they were famous. How can I miss someone that I never knew?

The Overlord Returns
10-31-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Overload- Run DMC has had ALOT of influence on the music business today. If you can't appreciate that or understand that fine, your loss, but don't be an a-- about it. I'm not into rap music at all now a days, but the old school hip hop scene was dominated by Run DMC.

I was a huge fan of RUN DMC...... doesn't change the fact that the man had not been a driving force in anyway for the last 10 years or so. I did not know him, and I can't really find myself to create feelings for someone I didn't know. Somewhere this very instant, someone is dying. Shall I post a memorial for them?

The Overlord Returns
10-31-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller

More like over 15 years...in the spotlight.

15 years in the spotlight?

doubtful..........

187-Maul
10-31-2002, 10:26 AM
although I don't listen that much to run-dmc I still know the influence he had on hip hop music
he will be missed...
RIP:zzz:

JON9000
10-31-2002, 10:39 AM
I can still remember taking my tape deck and holding it up to the radio to record You Be Illin'. Run DMC was awesome and laid the blueprint for a type of music. In their own way, they are the Miles Davis of Rap music. Goodbye, Jam Master Jay

scruffziller
10-31-2002, 11:30 AM

doubtful..........

When I listened to them as exstensive as I did, I felt like I got to know them. Not a driving force in the last 10 years? Not to the world maybe, but for me because I listened to them everyday for the last 10 years. And it was I who initiated this thread. To us in the hip hop community this is like our John Lennon when he was shot. I have noticed that when there are folks associated with SW, LOTR, etc. that die, I don't see any sarcasm on account of their memorials? Will you folks mock the fact the person who first posts GLs memorium that they have no right to because we never personally knew them. Just because this is not a forum geered towards the music community doesn't give any justice of any type of sarcasm. When JMJ recorded the music he made with RUN and DMC, who he was, became a part of my life and I knew him in the way he chose to know me, through music. That's alot more than just some random person dying somewhere now. Especially when someone who has touched the lives of many people around the world. I put JMJ in the same category as the George Lucas' and the Peter Jacksons of the world.

bobafett07728
10-31-2002, 11:46 AM
Kick off shoes, jump on the jock
Listen to the Jam Master as he starts to rock
His name is Jay and he's on his way
To be the best DJ in the US of A
J-a-y are the letters of his name
Cutting and scratching are the aspects of his game
So check out the Master as he cuts these jams
And look at us with the mics in our hands
Then take a count, 1-2-3
Jam Master Jay, Run-D.M.C.

Another great person lost too soon. Another Hip-Hop legend silenced for no apparent reason. He will always be remembered by all the true rap fans. R.I.P Jam Master Jay. . .cuttin' and scratchin' for that Hip-Hop Jam in Heaven.

And Overlord. . .he may not have been in the "Spotlight" in recent years, but he has been far from absent. He discovered many young talents in recent years, including 50 Cent, who is making some serious noise as we speak. He also ran a studio, and was known to let up-and-coming talent record there. . .for FREE! He was a husband, a father, and a strong, positive leader in the commmunity. Yes. . .people die everyday. . .but there is no reason to downplay someone's passing just because you don't know them personally. Just the fast that you posted here shows you had some interest in his life and career. If you are here to poke fun, or to be a jerk. . .please. . .move on to another thread.

jjreason
10-31-2002, 11:49 AM
I too loved Run DMC. The first album I really feel influenced me in terms of what was truly cool was "Raising Hell". This is tragic, as was watching the group try to cling to their status as Rap greats over the past 10 years. No one can argue the fact that they fell from the spotlight as the new school came to be in power (Death Row, Puffy, Sean Carter, DMX, etc), but they still paved the way for the mainstream acceptance of street poetry.

Long live Run DMC.
RIP Jam Master Jay, a true King of Rock.

scruffziller
10-31-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bobafett07728
Just the fast that you posted here shows you had some interest in his life and career. If you are here to poke fun, or to be a jerk. . .please. . .move on to another thread.

Amen bro.

And TOR, if somehow we find out that you would pass on, I WILL be the first to start a thread in the honor of talking with you on these forums.:)

Jedi Master Silas
10-31-2002, 12:15 PM
Oh man...what a shame. I grew up on on old school hip hop...what happened??? I just woke up and was checking my email and the forums...I'd quess I better go read about todays events...

When is it going to stop. Senceless death, violence, no reason...(shaking my head):confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dar' Argol
10-31-2002, 08:28 PM

doubtful..........

Run DMC was the force that brought Rap to the main-stream, along with Aerosmith. No one has done more for the rap industry then DMC. They have a legacy of more then 20 years and I believe they are releasing a new album shortly.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Oh man...what a shame. I grew up on on old school hip hop...what happened??? I just woke up and was checking my email and the forums...I'd quess I better go read about todays events...

Sometime last night, 2 unidentified men were buzzed into Jay's recording studio in Queens last night. Jay was taking a break playing a video game with a friend when he was shot in the head and killed. The other man with Jay was shot in the ankle and is in the hospital. They have no suspects at this time.

This is why ppl are moruning and shocked TOR. Because this was a sensless death. Jay brought a lot back to his community. At the time of his death, he was helping another group get their record done. Run DMC was a force and still is a force felt in the rap community. Jay will be sorly missed:(.

Exhaust Port
10-31-2002, 09:34 PM
What in the world is wrong with the rap community? When was the last time we heard of a country or rock artist being shot by a rival? Oh heck, even being shot at all? When are people going to wake up, clean up there act and not stand for this?

derek
11-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
What in the world is wrong with the rap community? When was the last time we heard of a country or rock artist being shot by a rival? Oh heck, even being shot at all? When are people going to wake up, clean up there act and not stand for this?

country singer trace akins was shot in the chest by a former lady-friend, and he survived.:)

2-1B
11-01-2002, 12:57 AM
I was a huge fan of RUN DMC...... doesn't change the fact that the man had not been a driving force in anyway for the last 10 years or so. I did not know him, and I can't really find myself to create feelings for someone I didn't know. Somewhere this very instant, someone is dying. Shall I post a memorial for them?

Yes, you shall.
Better get to it quickly as there are many homeless people dying right now, and none of us know them either. Weren't you calling someone "Ebenezer" lately? ;)
Move along while we mourn the loss of a husband and father of 3. On your way, stop in the Sniper thread and tell everybody to get over the murders from October.

Jay WAS a driving force for me personally; just last month I saw them live a few times and they "touched" me. :happy:
It seems I'm not the only one, so maybe he drove a bit more than you think . . .

Old Fossil
11-01-2002, 08:53 AM
Comparing rock & country to rap is comparing apples to oranges.

They all spring from the same creative, artisitic urge, but are tempered differently in their environments. Rap and HipHop come by their artistic expressions honestly; these days, country is shamelessly sentimenal, a miserable echo of a grand tradition. True Rock is hard to come by; it may have died about 6 or 7 years ago.

Exhaust Port
11-01-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
Rap and HipHop come by their artistic expressions honestly

I find this hard to believe. Sure back in the '80s there were many breakout artists in rap/hip-hop as the style/industry was brand-new. Rap and Hip-hop are just as manufactured as any other music style now-a-days. How many of the "real" rappers have come and gone in just the last few years? Most of the artists (just like rock and country) are manufactured. The problem for the rap group is that they're still believing the manufactured hype of the culture of violence. Repeating the lie long enough and it becomes reality for some.

I believe that there are true artist left in each genre but none that I know of ever hit the Big Time as they can't compete with the Over-Produced/Manufactured mainstream artists. Rock briefly had some success of some great true artists in the early 90's with the Seattle bands but once again they were turned into manufactured everyday music.

A few good artists always start it but its quickly overrun with thousands of wanna-be's. We all realize it happens everyday when we're listening to a song and we find ourselves saying:

"I loved this song when it was by <copied Artist> and the title was <copied song style>."

The Overlord Returns
11-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Yes, you shall.
Better get to it quickly as there are many homeless people dying right now, and none of us know them either. Weren't you calling someone "Ebenezer" lately? ;)
Move along while we mourn the loss of a husband and father of 3. On your way, stop in the Sniper thread and tell everybody to get over the murders from October.

Jay WAS a driving force for me personally; just last month I saw them live a few times and they "touched" me. :happy:
It seems I'm not the only one, so maybe he drove a bit more than you think . . .

You've kind of prooved the point I am making here.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter that he died. ofcourse it does. But the notion that this death is worth noting over the scores of homeless that die ( and in the thread in question, many were saying "good riddance". very humane) makes no sense to me.

As for your rather needless inclusion of the sniper victims, why aren't there memorial posts for the individual victims to go along with this memorial for a music star? One of the snipers victims was a loving father of 6.......since you mentioned celebrating the life of a husband and father of three. Where is his memorial?

It is a trgedy, but no more or less than any death, IMO. That is all I am saying. All I'm doing is not putting the signifigance of one persons life above anothers. They are all valuable.

So, my apologies to any I offended. I did sound rather cold, which was not my intention.

Now, Twodot mentioned the death of rock. I could not disagree more. Rock and roll is alive and well. The crap that had been festering and destroying rock and roll (aka; Creed, nickleback, POD, system of a down and all the other clones) is luckily being countered still by real, great rock and roll outfits:

Oasis
Radiohead
Foo Fighters
U2

Their all still producing the most talented, and thought provoking music out there. Then you've got your new guys on the block:

The Hives
The Strokes
TheWhite Stripes
The Vines

to name a few (or the most recognizable)...these bands are keeping rock and roll alive.....instilling it with that basic feel that's always made it great......

2-1B
11-01-2002, 11:38 AM
Oasis is real? A real clone maybe . . .

It's been my experience that there are too many bands starting with "The" and ending in "s" :p

Overlord, how is my mention of the sniper victims needless?
We're in here commemorating the loss of someone "we don't know" while others were mourning the slaughter of people "we don't know."

I can't see how I've proved your point, as I specifically stated WHY we are noting his death by name instead of others who "we don't know." We knew OF Jay, and therefore could comment on it personally. I know nothing of the sniper victims from a personal point of view, HOWEVER it's because of my belief in the inherent value and dignity of human life that I mourn them too. Just because we mourn Jay on a personal level differently than the sniper victims (or homeless people) does not mean we valued his life "more." It just means we have a personal reaction to his death.

Taking your stance to an extreme end of the spectrum, the death of one's parent would be no more tragic than the death of someone 3 thousand miles away . . . . how silly is that? :p

The Overlord Returns
11-01-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Oasis is real? A real clone maybe . . .

It's been my experience that there are too many bands starting with "The" and ending in "s" :p

Overlord, how is my mention of the sniper victims needless?
We're in here commemorating the loss of someone "we don't know" while others were mourning the slaughter of people "we don't know."

I can't see how I've proved your point, as I specifically stated WHY we are noting his death by name instead of others who "we don't know." We knew OF Jay, and therefore could comment on it personally. I know nothing of the sniper victims from a personal point of view, HOWEVER it's because of my belief in the inherent value and dignity of human life that I mourn them too. Just because we mourn Jay on a personal level differently than the sniper victims (or homeless people) does not mean we valued his life "more." It just means we have a personal reaction to his death.

Taking your stance to an extreme end of the spectrum, the death of one's parent would be no more tragic than the death of someone 3 thousand miles away . . . . how silly is that? :p

Who, exactly, is Oasis a clone of?

And don't say the Beatles because, while humorous ( I actually got many a kick out of bugging my oasis fanatic friend with this very same thing) has never really been true. They are no more a clone of the beatles than any band over the last twenty years that has taken inspiration from late 60's early seventies beatles.

Don't you notice that it's usually the "the" bands with one name that end up being the really famous bands ;)

It was more needless in the tone you had with it. You brought it up ( it seems) to point out how callous I was being.

On a level of recognition, I know as much about the victim who had six children as I do about the death in question on this thread. They effect me in the exact same way. A Tragic loss of life.

As for your extreme notion, it is just that. Extreme. Ofcourse the death of my parent(s) will affect me in a way that a strangers death will not. It is more important to me. But, it doesn't effect you in any way, nor does it mean more or less than any other death in a global perspective.

Exhaust Port
11-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Oasis: aka Blur

The Overlord Returns
11-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Oasis: aka Blur

They couldn't sound less similar........

well, I suppose they could, but you know what I mean....

still...blur should have been on my list.

Eternal Padawan
11-01-2002, 03:47 PM
CONSPIRACY THEORY

Record company execs have rappers record tons of rap tracks without releasing them. THEN, they send in upcoming rapper thugs to assassinate the older musician. After he's dead they release, several "tribute" albums (see Tupac). They actually release MORE albums then before the rapper died, except they don't have to pay the deceased any royalties. They also now have the newer artists in their pocket, because if they break their contract, the execs blow the whistle on their felony. After awhile they become old news and the execs have THEM killed by an even newer generation of thug rappers and the cycle repeats itself. Evil white execs in boardrooms. :mad: :evil:

derek
11-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Who, exactly, is Oasis a clone of?

ahh........the beatles??????????????:crazed:

Darth Sidious
11-01-2002, 09:41 PM
I hadn't even heard of Jam Master Jay or Run DMC until I read that he was killed...Even though I haven't really heard of them, I feel bad that he died. :( He is in a better place...

2-1B
11-01-2002, 11:22 PM
On a level of recognition, I know as much about the victim who had six children as I do about the death in question on this thread. They effect me in the exact same way. A Tragic loss of life.

Yes, I know. :crazed:

The point is that some people DO know more about the death in question, that's why it's being discussed. You're putting me on here, right? :D

Oh believe me, when the Gallagher brothers whine themselves to death I'll give them the same cursory glance of sympathy as I do other people I don't "know." :crazed:

Jedi Master Silas
11-01-2002, 11:45 PM
Evil white execs??? WTF?? So are you saying white folks..let me get this right WHITE folks are killing black entertainers to profit off their death??? Put that white/black bullsh** aside.

2-1B
11-02-2002, 12:34 AM
I think the media reports are way out of line on this story.
When I heard about it, they said, "yet another" fatal rap shooting as if it happens all the time . . . but the only references they made are to Tupac and Biggie from 5 years ago.

Exhaust Port
11-02-2002, 09:05 AM
I guess the point they were making was that it wasn't another fatal music industry shooting as only the rap community has this problem. Boy they preach on about violence, material access and drug use and they're shocked when another artist falls prey to it.

scruffziller
11-05-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

They have a legacy of more then 20 years and I believe they are releasing a new album shortly.

Are you speaking of the upcoming one that they said would go back to B-boyism or their album Crown Royal that came out last year? If you haven't picked up Crown Royal you need to!! :D

Exhaust Port
11-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
If you haven't picked up Crown Royal you need to!! :D

Make sure your 21 years old and don't forget that you get one of those nifty purple velvet bags with the bottle. ;)

scruffziller
11-05-2002, 02:16 PM

Make sure your 21 years old and don't forget that you get one of those nifty purple velvet bags with the bottle. ;)

:D