PDA

View Full Version : Question on vintage packaging

Patient Zero
11-01-2002, 03:08 PM
I have been on ebay alot as of lately and all of the vintage SW figures seem to have a yellow tint to the blister bubble. Is this normal? Does it happen to all of them over time?:confused:

Deoxyribonucleic
11-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
I have been on ebay alot as of lately and all of the vintage SW figures seem to have a yellow tint to the blister bubble. Is this normal? Does it happen to all of them over time?:confused:

I have a few that are like that but most of mine are A-OK and look like they did back then! I know one is like that cause the guy I bought it from smoked like a feind but it was a potf '85 combat poncho leia for 10 bucks so I said "what the hey" and it's not super yellow and still looks ok :) Another reason is probably improper storage IE: too much heat, sunlight, moisture etc. so NO they aren't all like that.

stormie
11-03-2002, 03:51 AM
It is fairly common to find a yellowed bubble on the packaging of most of the ROTJ, DROIDS and EWOKS figures. I've seen many discussions as to why, and most point to the possibility of a different type of plastic being used for the ROTJ-era bubbles--a type that has a lower resistance to UV light, thus causing the yellowing. The SW and ESB bubbles are far less likely to have yellowed bubbles; however, ANY bubble can yellow if exposed to sunlight or UV light, or if just not properly cared for.

Luckily, seeing a yellow bubble can also be an indication that the figure in question is less likely to be resealed, so it is kind of a trade-off. :D