PDA

View Full Version : Game Boy Advance 2 (Game Boy Advance SP)

Lord Malakite
11-01-2002, 06:39 PM
That right folks, it appears that Nintendo is going to release the Game Boy Advance 2 in the the near future. Testing appears to have already started at Nintendo's German headquarters. It is going to improve almost everything lacking in the GBA.

It will have a backlit screen, will fold out like a Game & Watch game, have four face and two shoulder buttons (like a Super Nintendo controller), and use an internal slimline battery as its power source (like a cell phone) instead of two AA batteries. The battery is expected to last 10 hours before needing recharging. In addition, it will feature a larger backlit screen than all current backlit models, with a new TFT screen with variable contrast, which is to be manufactored by Sharp.

The GBA2 is also set to recieve an upgrade to its internal architecture, in the shape of a more powerful processor, and the possibility of more onboard RAM.

Nintendo is also exploring the possibility of implementing two other prototypes: a standard two button GBA featuring a backlit screen, and a four button backlit model.

Reports state that it could be available as soon as late November in Japan.

Boba Rhett
11-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Here's another pic,

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jr.newton/GBAC/gba2/edge1.jpg

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 06:59 PM
Nintendo is going to kill with that ill piece of machine. By ill I mean good.

JediTricks
11-01-2002, 07:12 PM
I dunno, hearing about it sounds pretty cool but seeing that first pic makes me think it's gonna be a little topheavy during play. If it has cellphone style rechargeable batteries, then I hope it has a battery status indicator.

Boba Rhett
11-01-2002, 08:21 PM
Meh, Those screens are quite light. I wouldn't worry about it being top heavy. :) I'd really like to see a battery status indicator too.

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 08:31 PM
It just doesn't seem like Game Boy Advance got a full run, though. It would be nice if this new Game Boy could run the older games, too.

Lord Malakite
11-01-2002, 08:40 PM
It does run the older GBA games.

James Boba Fettfield
11-01-2002, 08:42 PM
Excellent. Then I do not feel so bad about it being released so soon. It's a good thing.

master jedi
11-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Why didn't Nintendo do a lot of this stuff with the GBA 1 especialy the back-lit screen.
Another reason why I hate what Nintendo is doing more and more.

Boba Rhett
11-02-2002, 01:34 PM
They wouldn't have been able to pry another 80 bucks out of us. Duh. :crazed:

Nexu
11-02-2002, 02:10 PM
Only one speaker still though.

Boba Rhett
11-02-2002, 08:33 PM
THE HECK? :sur: Oh man, it better be a killer speaker! :mad:

Nexu
11-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Heh, that's one thing that hasn't changed. It seems all Game Boys are destined to have one speaker.

master jedi
11-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
They wouldn't have been able to pry another 80 bucks out of us. Duh. :crazed:

I'm wondering if the word 'Nintendo' is actually Japanese for 'rip off'.

JediTricks
11-03-2002, 06:57 PM
I dunno about that screen weight Rhett, we're talking about a bigger LCD AND backlighting system. Mostly though, even if it's lightweight, I kinda picture it flopping forward or back, I'm a real stickler for a balanced controller.

I honestly don't care at all that it only has 1 speaker, speakers draw a LOT of the power off these things. Backwards-compatability is awesome, but if they start putting out GBA2-only games right away, I think they'll have made a grave error.

Nexu
11-03-2002, 07:13 PM
Not if they continue making GBA games. If not, they will shoot themselves in the head.

Lord Malakite
01-07-2003, 08:53 AM
A picture of the GBA 2 (renamed the GBA SP) is now available.

James Boba Fettfield
01-07-2003, 10:41 AM
So they decided to lose the X and Y buttons. I'm not sure if the R and L buttons are there or not. But anyway, did they decide that maybe adding the X and Y buttons would detract in some way, perhaps noting that the previous GBA was able to successfully emulate Super Nintendo games without those X and Y buttons. Yeah, well....that's all I have to say about that.

mrmiller
01-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Is that the GBA2 or just the GBA SP (GBA special)? It looks just like the GBA with a bigger back-lit display. I bet there still will be a GBA2 with more memory, more buttons, and backlit (oh, and more money).

I had thought about this, and think they could do a "trick" to make all future GBA games work on both models of the GBA. What you do, is actually make the X and Y buttons on the GBA2 the same as the start and select and GBA. Then games will play on the older GBA as well, the buttons would be more difficult to reach but if used for minor tasks it would at least work. Then you make the GBA2 "Start" and "Select" a button combo on the GBA, such as L+start for start and R+select for select. Then at least you could keep games usable on all systems. Of course certian games would still have to be GBA2 exclusive, such as fighting games or others that would require the A,B,X,Y buttons all readily available. Does this make any since at all? I might be confusing myself. :)

=MATT=

mrmiller
01-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Here ya go:

From GameSpy.com:
"GameSpy serves up the only hands-on preview of Nintendo's freshly announced next-gen Game Boy Advance device, the Game Boy Advance SP. GameSpy details its play session with the new Game Boy Advance device and offers plenty of pictures for those folks looking to skip the pesky words and get right to the heart of the matter. The Game Boy Advance SP will be released in Japan next month, and in the United States in late March. Hit the preview for all the details! "

Check the link here:

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/january03/gbasp/

It will be here March 23 for $99.

=MATT=

Lord Malakite
01-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
So they decided to lose the X and Y buttons. I'm not sure if the R and L buttons are there or not. But anyway, did they decide that maybe adding the X and Y buttons would detract in some way, perhaps noting that the previous GBA was able to successfully emulate Super Nintendo games without those X and Y buttons.

The R and L buttons are still there. As for the X and Y buttons, those were on two of three possible model choices Nintendo was working on for the GBA 2. The first was a standard two button GBA featuring a backlit screen, which we got as the GBA SP. The second was a standard GBA backlit model with four buttons instead of two, which is what you are talking about. The third was a four button upgrade to the GBA that would have exclusive games not playable on the original GBA, but they probably figured it was still too early in the GBA's life to do that yet.

Knowing Nintendo, at least one (if not both) of the other models are also in the works for some future release. The upgraded four button GBA will no doubt eventually evolve into what will become GBA's successor.

scruffziller
01-07-2003, 02:07 PM
The true next generation of GB will be able to duplicate the N64!!!
Since the GBA duplicated the Super Nintendo.

Darth Evil
01-11-2003, 09:02 AM
A handheld N64 would be sweet. But it's unlikely. I don't know if I'll get a GBA SP, I'll have to give it some thought.

Lord Malakite
01-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Darth Evil
I don't know if I'll get a GBA SP, I'll have to give it some thought.

The nice thing about the Game Boy Advance SP is that it is only the second handheld system Nintendo has made with a backlit screen. The first was the Game Boy Light, which remained exclusive to Japan.

plasticfetish
01-13-2003, 09:19 PM
I'm pretty excited about this thing.
I've held off buying the GBA because of the price and because I'd heard they were doing a redesign anyway. Backlit screen and rechargeable longer life battery makes up for the increased cost to me. Though, it would be nice if it was say $75 instead of $100 ... and they market the old GBA down to around $45.

James Boba Fettfield
01-13-2003, 09:40 PM
I still see Game Boy Colors asking for more price than Game Boy Advances. It's almost as puzzling as the time I saw Madden 2002 for $50 and Madden 2003 for $40 at Best Buy.

plasticfetish
01-14-2003, 04:19 AM
I want a BLUE one!!!

Some more pics are here (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=520112).

Lord Malakite
01-14-2003, 12:25 PM
You mean Cobalt. ;)

There is also a Jet Black one in addition to Cobalt and Platinum, but only Europe and Japan will be getting that one. :(

QLD
01-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Looks cool, but I don't have much use for a portable game system. Never been one to play games on the go.

Lord Malakite
01-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Maybe you could look into the Game Boy Player QLD. Then you could play Game Boy games on your T.V. with the GameCube.

plasticfetish
01-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Maybe you could look into the Game Boy Player QLD. Then you could play Game Boy games on your T.V. with the GameCube.

You're talking about the adapter ... this (http://www.buyritegames.com/images/item_full/GCJ-GCGBAD.jpg) thing?

Now that you remind me, I think I may not be in such a big hurry to buy the new GameBoy ... since, yeah for the most part I'd rather play them on the big screen anyway. Only question is ... does it work the same as having a GBA linked to the Cube? Some games like ... errr ... Animal Crossing have those GBA extensions to the game. I wonder if the link up is the same ... and I wonder why I haven't heard a thing about the adapter in months? Wasn't it supposed to come out in November?

QLD
01-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I have thought about the adapters before. But, I have yet to see many games that make me want to play them that are on the GB.

The old Final Fantasy Games, Metroid Fusion, are about the only ones.

mrmiller
01-17-2003, 09:32 AM
I love your new Avatar QLD. The other one disturbed me a little bit.

I know GBA is re-releasing some ports of SNES games on GBA, but I'd like to see some NES collectiions. A capcom collection with Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, and more would kick.

=MATT=

mylow thehutt
02-21-2003, 12:29 PM
:) I just saw the new gameboy Sp all i can say is wow it looks really neat but don't take my word for it check it out for your selfs

http://www.buyritegames.com/product_information.asp?number=GBAJ-SYSPN&back=yes&dept=1048&last=

now forgive me if this has been posted befor.:o

Lord Malakite
02-21-2003, 03:25 PM
Actually, I mentioned it twice now in both the news section on the main page and in this forum. :) I'll just go ahead and merge your thread.

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 04:04 PM
You make me lol, Lord Malakite. lol! I'm sorry.

mylow thehutt
02-21-2003, 09:30 PM
sorry my bad i useally don't come in this section and didn't see a thread on it soooo......shtuf happens:p

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
I was just at EB and they said they'll sell you a brand new GBASP for $60 if you trade in your current GBA. It just has to be in WORKING condition. :rolleyes: So I thought to myself, if I bought a used GBA from lets say Gamestop (which is about $50- $60), and trade it to EB, theoretically, I'd be able to buy a brand new GBASP for $60!:sur:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
I was just at EB and they said they'll sell you a brand new GBASP for $60 if you trade in your current GBA. It just has to be in WORKING condition. :rolleyes: So I thought to myself, if I bought a used GBA from lets say Gamestop (which is about $50- $60), and trade it to EB, theoretically, I'd be able to buy a brand new GBASP for $60!:sur:

Silly me, I didn't put to account buying the GBA + $60 for the GBASP. Please excuse me for my mathematical incompetence.