PDA

View Full Version : How much will Hasbro raise the price for EII figures?

INDIANA
10-31-2001, 01:13 PM
Will we see $6.99 figures or will they go straight to $7.99?

JEDIpartner
10-31-2001, 03:16 PM
At least $7.99!!!

If they all look like that Obi-Wan that we have now seen... I wouldn't be surprised if they priced them at $8.49 or $8.99!!!

I hope the prices don't go up... only for the fact that I love the hobby, but don't have that much of a disposable income for action figures!!!

JediCole
10-31-2001, 04:52 PM
Like so many things regarding Episode II, only time will tell. I would suspect we can expect a price increase of some kind by the time April rolls around. The Star Wars toys are tough to resist, but at the same time, they may price themselves out of the market if not careful!

evenflow
10-31-2001, 05:12 PM
I think what we pay now is ridiculous. We should be pay8ing 4.99. That is a fair price for a Star Wars figure. Fine, 5.99 is understandable, but that is it. I can actually see alot of people drop buying stuff if the price goes any higher. :mad:

Tycho
11-01-2001, 01:01 AM
I completely agree with Evenflow.

I also don't think Hasbro 'needs' to charge us more for figures:

They paid their licensor's fees for the rights to do everything they wanted to produce from 1999 to 2006 or '07 I think.

They lost money by buying companies like Wizards of the Coast, Tiger Electronics, etc, and expanding while they betted wrong on Pokemon, and increasing production on Episode One.

Fact: Hasbro did have I think $650 million in mind for realistic sales for E1 toys (mostly figures, but ships included I think). When Midnight Madness blew out many stores' supplies overnight (Toys R Us for sure), TRU, Walmart (especially I heard) and Target asked them to increase production. You KNOW that Darth Maul was for months hard to find. Their original production schedule would probably have met demand, though not as fast as moms and kids would've liked. But Hasbro increased production to $850 million, and did sell half that increase, but were stuck with $150 mil. extra product.

I got the numbers from what I remember from news articles reposted on this website.

Finally, to cut costs drastically, Hasbro downsized, and cut production on a lot of their later products, the Eopie for example, and TC-14.

In otherwords, they stopped spending: on salaries, on over-production, and on lines that were suffering.

Meanwhile, I think that it was more that collectors "gave up" and lost interest, than TPM being a bad feature. Look at how many of us are saying we'd all buy Pod Racers or Jedi Council Members lately - and Queens!

If they weren't so off-track, new production (at normal levels) of the Swimming JarJar Wave and Sio Bibble Wave, maybe back to the Sidious Holo Wave, would've picked up nice sales due to the VIDEO RELEASE. Again, Hasbro had miscalculated enough, that they were'nt poised to do something special for the DVD RELEASE. Each time, they could've capitalized on a marketing blitz, similar, but with obviously decreased gains, like they did for the release of the movie.

But they saved money. My point is that while they did that, they also lost some of their fan base, from folks frustrated they were unable to find figures. They can remake their money if they rely on normal, steady sales at affordable prices, instead of trying to gouge us.

Are there those of us who are going to buy for a Clone Trooper army? Depends at what price.

GNT
11-01-2001, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
I think what we pay now is ridiculous. We should be pay8ing 4.99. That is a fair price for a Star Wars figure. Fine, 5.99 is understandable, but that is it. I can actually see alot of people drop buying stuff if the price goes any higher. :mad:

I couldn't agree with you any more :) Figures here are around $15-17 per one and I think thats alot of $$$ for something so small(And no I'm not changing Hobbies so don't bother asking :))

And once it hits $18 per figure,I won't continue collecting them as I could put my money on other things :)

JediTricks
11-01-2001, 12:14 PM
If those fools in Rhode Island think they can milk another cent from our pockets for new figures, they have got a BIG surprise coming! That would be insane, especially after the promise of lower prices on POTJ that never came true. Hasbro's severely overestimating the market value of their products, just because we're currently stupid enough to pay $7 for figures like Luke Jedi who have the standard 6 points of articulation, a bizarre pose on a scrawny body, and one measily accessory, that doesn't mean we'll accept more price-hikes laying down, ESPECIALLY on an unproven movie!

LTBasker
11-01-2001, 01:03 PM
Right now we're paying $7 for scene specific figures with limited articulation and we hardly get good detail on the figures themselves... We once in a while get a good figure (R2-Q5) but then that ends up being harder to find due to rushed stock getting out and coming out all at once instead of in certain amounts so basically if Hasbro keeps up this type of shipping and pricing on the figures, well, by the time of July 2002, theres gonna be ALOT of unhappy people...especially with it being a movie year and a 25th anniversery.

INDIANA
11-01-2001, 04:35 PM
I am not a zillionare. Married with children, house, 2 cars and dog. I get a weekly allowance to spend and buy toys with. $6.99 a figure is VERY close to my limit for spending. NOT that I would not collect, but the days of me buying multiples and army builders will end promptly.
I often see people question and compare the 3 3/4 Star Wars license to the 5" Simpsons licesne. The Simpsons are bigger, TALK REALISTICALLY, and have a growing variety of figures. I'm sure Playmates is paying a licensing fee like Hasbro but are still able to keep costs down.
I would LOVE to have a clone army. ANY price hike from Hasbro will quickly make it a small "Rebellion" force instead.

bigbarada
11-01-2001, 04:45 PM
If the price goes up any higher, it will definitely curb my interest in new figures. I'll probably just stick to two or three characters from the movie, but any ideas of "collecting them all" will have flown out the window.

$8 per figure is ridiculously high, so can we expect to pay $30-40 for the dinky Jedi Starfighter?

evenflow
11-01-2001, 09:37 PM
Let's just hope Hasbro reads this and realizes that they could be losing alot more money by raising the price than they expect.

master jedi
11-02-2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
Let's just hope Hasbro reads this and realizes that they could be losing alot more money by raising the price than they expect.

And by making more resculpts.

Wolfwood319
11-06-2001, 02:51 PM
Remember, this is Hasbro we're talking about. E1 was the most marketed movie in history. All sales were overestimated, and you could find any product with the words "Episode I" on it; toothpaste, shampoo, candy, etc. The result; overproduction on the initial run of figures, resulting in shelves full of figures that weren't selling, under orders of subsequent runs (swimming Jar Jar) and low interest for a new SW line with E1 figs still lining the shelves (POTJ).

No matter what Hasbro claims they will do, the end result will be a similar repeat of what happened with E1. We'll see loads of the initial figures to begin with, so they can cash in on the movie. Soon, more and more will end up on the shelves, causing less orders of subsequent waves.

As much as I don't history repeating itself, simple marketing and economics say it will. Look at any movie licensed toy line with the exception of star wars. How much are Shrek figures going for now, $3-$4 at most places. Towards the end of 2002, expect the line to suffer drastically, especially if they raise prices.

Dferguson
11-06-2001, 03:29 PM
I hope they do not raise prices
7-9 bucks is enough as it is right now but I am loving paying 2 dollars a fig to complete my Ep1 collection but sadly thats all going to go poof when ep2 toys rolls around:o :rolleyes:

INDIANA
11-06-2001, 04:20 PM
I think Hasbro will cut this REALLY close. I think there will be all the figures anyone would want in April and May but supplies will start to deminish and I fully expect to be at the level we are now by the end of summer next year. I think the case assortments will be closely watch so there aren't peg warmers everywhere. I do not expect replenishments at stores past summer. Those waiting to complete thier clone army had better NOT wait long, buy as many as you want in April and be done with it. Those waiting to pick more up later I believe will not be able to find them very easily.

Co Jo-Da
11-07-2001, 02:50 AM
The price hasn't risen that much in the past few years and I doubt if the price will go higher than $8 per figure.

Ronin
11-08-2001, 05:37 PM
Here in Germany we pay 10-12,50 $ and I really really don't know why. Hasbro Germany, what are you doing ??????????????????????????????????

GNT
11-09-2001, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Ronin
Here in Germany we pay 10-12,50 $ and I really really don't know why. Hasbro Germany, what are you doing ??????????????????????????????????

We pay around $16 per figure and thats alot of $$$ for a figure!!! :eek:

master jedi
11-09-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Ronin

Originally posted by GNT
We pay around $16 per figure and thats alot of $$$ for a figure!!! :eek:

And I thought it sucked here in the U.S.

GNT
11-09-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
And I thought it sucked here in the U.S.

You guys in America get everything cheap, B-wings in your country $10.00(I started a thread about that) here they cost $100 (which is arount US$50) i'd die for the prices you guys have

Obi-Don
11-11-2001, 07:35 AM
I'm sure the prices will go up and the figures will be hard to find.Thats why my buying of them has gone down.I only look for the figures and ships I really want now instead of tring to get a wave collection and such. If Hasbro would lower the prices and make them more accessable.I would buy more.But being married with kids and way too many bills.I just can't see myself spending a whole lot of money for toys.Even if I love them like I do. Yesterday I picked up the Tie Interceptor and almost got it,but with Christmas coming I couldn't pay the $30.00 for at the time.I'm sure that I will regret it later as I really wanted it.If Hasbro and TRU would have lowered the price to what it is really worth,It would be now sitting in the play room with the others. :mad: :cry:

Dark Knight
11-14-2001, 10:34 PM
I cann't immagine buying a figure (1) for more than $8.00. I had to stop smoking because of a price increase. So I will have to stop collecting.

GNT
11-15-2001, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
.If Hasbro and TRU would have lowered the price to what it is really worth,It would be now sitting in the play room with the others. :mad: :cry:

Really worth? If thats the case these would be selling at $3 each!!!!!!

I cann't immagine buying a figure (1) for more than $8.00. I had to stop smoking because of a price increase. So I will have to stop collecting.

When you've stopped collecting will you take smoking back up?

Dark Knight
11-15-2001, 11:03 PM
I think I just get another Job so I can smoke and collect. Hehehhehehheehhehehehehehheheee