PDA

View Full Version : Silver Anniversary R2-D2 From TRU Available Now (MERGED)

RaptorMCSE
11-02-2002, 09:53 AM
I just went to the toysrus web site and was able to order the figure for $9.99 so instead of buying $40 worth of star wars toys tomorrow to get 2 of the I spent $25 and got 2.

Hope this helps everyone....

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Well, you figure if you still need an item that costs over $20 (like a Gunship) why not buy it tomorrow at TRU and get a bonus Silver R2 as well?

Jedi Drew
11-02-2002, 10:03 AM
I was just at TRU and got the "new" R2 today Sat. I bought 2 reek at 9.99 a piece. So they ARE giving them out early. Hope this helps some of you. P.S. no new figures to speak of. HH

SirSteve
11-02-2002, 10:47 AM
It is now available at TRU.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006HBU1/sirstsguidetosta) ! Check it out for complete details.

evenflow
11-02-2002, 12:35 PM
I got got back from TRU, nothing on the Silver R2's

Turbowars
11-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Same here. TRU pretends they don't know what we are talking about. I hate TRU!

kadamontaga
11-02-2002, 12:47 PM
There's an interesting report on the returns policy TRU are using with this promotion at www.artoosnews.com

evenflow
11-02-2002, 12:58 PM
I figured they would do something like that.

Jedi Drew
11-02-2002, 01:05 PM
I just looked at my recepit and they DID NOT ring up the R2. So as usual TRU is clueless.

2-1B
11-02-2002, 01:23 PM
I'm ordering from there right now, that way I don't have to make an out-of-the-way trip to TRU.

Clone Trooper Bob
11-02-2002, 02:00 PM
My TRU just started dealing theirs out..TODAY! I have mine in hand and it is AWESOME! I think I may get another before they run out!

2-1B
11-02-2002, 02:26 PM
I've got 3 on the way.
Order 2 from Amazon for 19.98 total, add one more item and then a free silver R2 and it's almost a 3 for 2 deal. :D

Turbowars
11-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Well I got a Silver R2 TRU Sat 2nd at 2:00. Heres the thing. I was visting my parents in the area and I called to see if they were dishing them out yet and they said yes. I drove over there and they gave me some crap about not having a book. Anyways I asked to see a Manager and sure enough the girl came over with a R2. It's in C9.5+ shape. I saw the box behind the CS desk and it looks like a 12" fig box, but it says give away. Good luck out there.

jjreason
11-02-2002, 05:38 PM
I just tried to order 5 basic figures, for a total of 24.96 or something, and it says Im not meeting the minimum requirements for this promotion. Perfect. Let me see here a) over 19.99 - check, b) star wars toys - check, c) enter promo code - check. Obviously Im missing something.....

Can anyone help with this?????

sith_killer_99
11-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Idiots and @'s my local TRU started and FINISHED giving away ALL of their silver R2's today!!!

I just called TRU, to ask about the Silver R2, and some blond sounding bimbo says in a chipper voice "It started today and they are all gone."!!! Can you believe it? ARGHHHHHHHHH..........

I bet there will be plenty of RETURNED merchandise at that TRU next weekend!

Anyway, I called the next TRU and they confirmed that they will be giving the R2's away TOMORROW!!! So I will be at THAT TRU bright and early.:D

The downside to that is that they tend to have the older stuff, but they still had at least 8 X-Wing left LAST night, so I will snag one of them for my R2.:D

Good luck to everyone and HH.

And may noone suffer through the pain of meeting up with a SCALPER tomorrow.:Pirate:

Thunderstorm1
11-02-2002, 07:19 PM
My local TRU has also given out all of their R2's today. The assistant manage told me that there will be no more, that was the only shipment they were getting. Now I though that Hasbro said "Anyone who wants one will get one!" Evidently not here. I was lucky enough to drive twenty miles to find one at the next TRU, and they said that they had less than 10 left. Wo What gives with this Crap? It is not even 11/3/02 yet!

Thunderstorm1
11-02-2002, 07:28 PM
jjreason.

you have to put the Silver R2 in your shopping cart, then use the promo code and it will give you a $9.99 discount. Hope this helps
Tim

2-1B
11-02-2002, 07:32 PM
good call T-Storm, that's exactly what I had to do.

jjreason
11-02-2002, 07:57 PM
I did that too. I had no problems getting the one with a Landspeeder, but trying to order it w basic figs using my wife's amazon acct won't work.
Yarrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, tho.

sith_killer_99
11-02-2002, 08:25 PM
You wanna know what gives?

Here's what gives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1784136303

And this...person...has more auctions for the silver R2-D2 with BIN prices of $35.00!

I guess they don't know about the $9.99 price tag @ Amazon/TRU.

Thunderstorm1
11-02-2002, 08:29 PM
What's Funny Sith Killer is that on the back of the action figure is states in bold print "FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY, NOT FOR RETAIL SALE" Even TRU.com must not have read that one if they are selling them from $9.99. Well the TRU on Dixie Hwy (31W)is where I picked up mine and they only had a few left. I know this is closest to you down at FT Knox, Hope you get one!

sith_killer_99
11-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Please tell me you're kidding!

Outer loop told me they gave 'em all out.

Dixie HWY (31W) told me they were giving them out tomorrow!

manji
11-02-2002, 09:06 PM
I called the TRU in Evansville, IN & they said they didn't receive a shipment but hoped some came in on tonight's truck. I called Owensboro, KY & they said they did have 1 case and had given out a few. Both of these locations are about 45 minutes from me. I was only going to go to Owensboro, but my wife wanted me to run an errand in Evansville. I decided to stop by their TRU, even though they had told me over the phone that they hadn't received any. As I was walking in I noticed a family walking out with several SW items & I asked if they received the R2-D2. Of course they had! I was pretty ticked for being misinformed by the phone-shuffling employees who had each told me first they didn't know what I was talking about & eventually that they didn't have what I wanted, all on my dime. But at least I got my R2.

Now to my point. I couldn't wait until I got home to open it so I opened it in the car. What a piece of crap. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice. The paint job is shoddy on the back of the head, and the plastic they used seems cheap. One of the legs is longer than the other so it leans really bad. I guess I should have left it in the package. Oh well, the eternal dilemma of a figure-opener - what will it look like out of the package.

Onlyafleshwound
11-02-2002, 09:23 PM
I went to my Local TRU in the bronx and they said they never heard such an offer. But I went all the way to westchester and finally got it with a purchase of a unleashed boba/jango fett.

Now, i went back to the bronx and then they said all of them were gone, but i told them that i went to Westchester and got one there. they then changed their minds and said "oh THAT Star Wars promotion!" Like they have so many star wars promotions, and this one slipped their minds. ha ha ha:frus:

The real kicker is when the manager went in the back to get me one, when he had a heated "discussion" with one of the workers about "no one is supposed to let these out!!" acutal words.

Come on!! they're a give away. Just give them away.

anyhoo that's it.:dead:

Val Da Car
11-02-2002, 11:23 PM
My store was very nice about them and when I spent $22 on target matched figures ($2.99ea) they still gave me the promo R2

KingOfSting
11-02-2002, 11:47 PM
the same thing is happening to me and its getting me really p.o.'ed. what's going on here??

Sean the Hutt
11-02-2002, 11:54 PM
thanks good call, I ordered 2. Sure beats looking all the time at my local tru. Plus I don't have to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need/ I already have the gunship, arena, etc. 9.99 is a bit much, but it could be worse I guess

rynobot
11-02-2002, 11:58 PM
I ordered mine too, thanks for the info! It sure beats the hour drive to the nearest TRU.

jjreason
11-03-2002, 01:16 AM
Ive emailed them asking for an explanation as to why "my wife" (hehehehe) can't get one with her amazon acct. Im imagining now it's because we have the same billing address - and that would be in flagrant violation of the one per customer rule. We'll see. Ill be sure to post or paraphrase what they say as soon as I get my reply.

Thunderstorm1
11-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Silver R2 is now no longer available at TRU.com. It says that it is not stocked or has been discontinued. Hope everyone was able to snatch one!

JEDIpartner
11-03-2002, 11:59 AM
Precisely!

sith_killer_99
11-03-2002, 12:05 PM
KEWL!!!

Well, I just got back from TRU with my new X-Wing and Silver R2-D2! I went to the Dixie Hwy (31W) TRU.

I went in, snagged an X-Wing and waited about 5 minutes for a cashier to arrive at the ONLY register that had a light on.

I asked her (my friendly cashier was Stephanie) if they were giving away the promo Silver R2 and she said yes. Then she went over to the customer service desk and asked for an R2-D2. After some hushed discussion she cheerfully brought over 1 Silver R2-D2.:D

Interestingly, she DID scan it onto my reciept, so I actually paid one cent for the little guy. It looks like this TRU was wise to the whole "return scam".

Anyway, HH to those still looking.;)

RynBkr2002
11-03-2002, 12:16 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that if you wanted too long, it's too late. The Toys R Us site has dicontinued selling the 25th Anniversary R2 D2. I tried ordering my one this morning, as well as calling the 888 number, but was turned down. Too bad huh, well I guess I'll have to spend the $50 to get one.

JEDIpartner
11-03-2002, 12:19 PM
did you try going to a store? :confused:

:(

Old Fossil
11-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Jeez, for some reason I don't feel too sad about missing out on this one...

2-1B
11-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Yep, they're gone - I just checked Amazon and it says
"This item is not stocked or has been discontinued."

Glad I ordered yesterday . . .

Sinister Lord
11-03-2002, 01:00 PM
I picked mine up at my local TRU this morning. They appeared to have plenty of them in cases behind the service desk. I was able to buy a bunch of figures (adding up to just over 20 bucks) that I hadn't bought yet, so things worked out just fine for me.

Val Da Car
11-03-2002, 01:23 PM
most stores appear to be getting about 128 (4 cases @ 32 each) to 300 R2's.

I have mine and they price matched Target yesterday @ $2.99 each figure and K-Mart's $3.00 figure pricing in their Sunday flyer for the 2 day special (Sunday & Monday)

Val Da Car
11-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Go

To

TRU

spend $19.99

Get

Free.......

Beast
11-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Patience truely is a virtue. I have been needing quite a few figures, and the TRU Landspeeder and have had no luck finding them. I was going to go to Ebay for the figures, and my brother was going to order the Landspeeder on Amazon so I could get an R2-D2. Because when I called around last night, they said they only had about 10 left.

Of course when he got over here today, Amazon's site was out of the silver R2's. Depressedly we went out to the TRU anyway, and I hit the jackpot. Managed to get a Landspeeder w/ Silver R2-D2.

Also hit the jackpot on figures. Found Jango: Pilot, Lott Dod, Tusken Raider w/ Massif, and Watto. So I got another Silver R2-D2 that I gave to my brother. Then I went over to Wal-Mart and found pegs full of CloneTrooper: Pilots.

So today was a great day, picked up all the figures that I need except for Endor Rebel Soldier (no goatee) and Ephant Mon. I guess it pays to wait, instead of going to Ebay. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-03-2002, 02:49 PM
My lord, that was fast!!! I ordered mine off the website (nearest TRU is like 60 miles away) a few min after Boss Man posted they were availabe. Man, hope everybody gets one through the store. :D

robman71
11-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Well said JarJar, I was waiting for this promotion to pick up the Genosis Battle Arena playset as well as the newer Action Fleet figures. While I managed to find these sets, I also found the Unleashed Mace Windu and the Unleashed Darth Tyrannus. As I was saving money back for only the above mentioned sets, I had to pass on the Unleashed figures. Perhaps I will get these for Christmas.

Jargo
11-03-2002, 03:41 PM
That toymom woman in milwauke probably bought them all up to sell on EBAY for "$999 very cheap, you like, you buy, very good. You likee R2, he naked, he very very shiny. He love you long time......." :crazed:

sith_killer_99
11-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Pegs full of Clone Trooper Pilots!:eek:

Beast
11-03-2002, 04:49 PM
Yeah, they had about 20-30 or so of them. I actually was going to grab a few more, incase the AT-TE really is coming out next year. But I'm sure that if I need more I can grab them some other time. Plus after all I spent at TRU, I was a bit depleted cash wise. ;) :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tagmac
11-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Onlyafleshwound
The real kicker is when the manager went in the back to get me one, when he had a heated "discussion" with one of the workers about "no one is supposed to let these out!!" acutal words.

Sounds to me like the manager is planning on selling these for profit. :mad:

I ordered mine off of Amazon for 9.99 + shipping at about 1 am last night. I figured, I have everything I want, so why spend 40 for the gunship (that I don't want), or the X-wing (that I already have the original version of), when I can just get the artoo for less. Incidentally, they had them in a bin, so you could just take one up to the register with your purchase. How they can stop people from going back and forth to get 10 of them is beyond me, though. Although, at least it seems like it'll prevent crooks from returning the merchandise w/o the Artoo figure.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-03-2002, 05:49 PM
I got my R2 today!:D

Jedi Master Silas
11-03-2002, 06:22 PM
All the R2's at my TRU were is poor condition. There were no cards that were not damaged..anyone else see this??? Hasbro must not have had the collector is mind when they packaged them.

Beast
11-03-2002, 06:26 PM
Jedi Master Silas, I've seen the shipping case that these come in. It was even posted online somewhere. I doubt that it's Hasbro's fault the cards are in poor condition. More likely it's workers that don't give a crap and manhandled them, when they were taking them out of the box. My TRU had them up at the front in the Security Office. Some TRU's seem to have just tossed them out on the floor, or in a dump bin. It sounds more like a case of your TRU not caring about the collector. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-03-2002, 06:57 PM
I only sneaked a peak at a few of the R2s I saw today and none of the cards I saw were mint but they weren't mangled either. The two I picked up had stress marks running across the width on the back of the card. But I am not complaining, I was lucky to get a hold of them considering the fact that the stores around here started selling them yesterday and didn't sell out until probably just after I got them today.

Can anyone read the memos on what date they were supposed to start selling them?

aharry
11-03-2002, 09:10 PM
I got lucky here in Tampa. I talked to someone Sat. night and was told they were going out this morning. I stopped by on my way to work and found out that they still had six left. I walked briskly to the back where the figures were, planning to buy a gunship since I don't have one yet. I was a bit wary to do this since I'm broke but was willing to chance it since who knows when, if ever these R2s will return. I looked at the figure pegs and saw that people have been plucking figures like crazy because it has been a while since I saw them only half full. Upon closer inspection I realized why, NEW Figures. Most of the peg warmers were gone and replaced by new figures. So instead of depleting the last bit of my bank account, I picked Lott, Watto, Tuskin Massiff, Ki, and Maul(unfortunately no pilots, they were probably the first to go) and got new figures with the Silver R2 and didn't have to spend $40 plus to do so. I can go buy gas for my car now.

Val Da Car
11-03-2002, 09:36 PM
who is toymom......well here is your answer....

I hope she/he gets shutdown

another blackeye for ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1784136303

nice job scalping......you go toymom.....

I would like someone to explain to me a legal way this seller got the case....sealed

2-1B
11-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Val Da Car
I would like someone to explain to me a legal way this seller got the case....sealed

It probably "fell" off a truck and she "found" it.

:D

JediCole
11-03-2002, 10:11 PM
For once it seems it pays to live in Texas. Mrs. JediCole and I made the rounds today and nearly every R2 we got or saw someone get was in great condition. One of ours had a card that was a little warped, but only slightly. No mangled, torn, or abused cards at three stores.

I say the above about living in Texas because we are usually the last to get the new figures. I half expected there would be no R2's today, but they made it even to the stores that don't sell a lot of Star Wars.

One friend of mine had a confrontation with one such store. They tried to claim that the R2 was free with purchase of ONE ITEM (Star Wars) that was at least $19.99, not one purchase! They begrudgingly gave in to his definition of "purchase" over theirs. He tried to tell him the other stores were defining "purchase" by the total bought and was told that those stores were simply "doing it wrong"!

Jayspawn
11-04-2002, 12:02 AM
I knew these would sell out soon. Good thing the stores are getting a bunch!

steve3p0
11-04-2002, 04:32 PM
still plenty of r2's here. i went back to toysrus with my kmart ad for price matching and saw that they still had an unopened case or two behind the service counter.

however... many of the newer figures have sold out ... and on top of that ... they insisted on matching the price ONLY on the episode 2 figures... so i had to pay full price for darth vader and darth maul but big deal ... i got 10 figures altogether and a free r2-d2 for under $40

Dar' Argol
11-04-2002, 07:38 PM
I just merged a couple R2 threads into this one, so if things look a little confusing, that's why.

PLEASE look through the forums before making a new thread!! PLEASE:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Val Da Car
11-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Dar,

Can we expect an update on the case assortment from you in the other forum (case assortment forum)?

Thanks
Val

Dar' Argol
11-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Val Da Car
Dar,

Can we expect an update on the case assortment from you in the other forum (case assortment forum)?

Thanks
Val

I will get a Asstorment post over there when i see the case, We only got 3 cases in last night and they were all out when I got in. Please keep this thread on topic. There was another thread to ask this in;)

tagmac
11-04-2002, 08:17 PM
The one good thing about that "toymom" auction on ebay - there are ZERO BIDS for the case of artoos. For once people are showing some brains with these crooks.

mark2d2
11-05-2002, 03:46 PM
I had no problem getting these here in Los Angeles. I wanted two. (One to open) And found him at both Toys R Us that I hit.

The clerks were really nice. One even rummaged through her supply to get me a MINT one and I didn't even ask for it. (I think playing dumb helped.) I was buying a Slave I --- glad I waited on this ship, it's very cool by the way --- and she was like "Hey, d'you know about the free little artoo?"

Anyway, check your stores. I can't imagine that they'd be more plentiful in LA.

Thunderstorm1
11-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Well Tagmac, Looks as though our voice is not strong enough. i just noticed that someone did bid $650 on the case. What a shame!

Beast
11-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Oh well, someone bid on the case. With production numbers around 70,000 for just the US, it's not going to be worth whatever the sucker buys it for. Just look at the Toy Fair Vader. It's only worth so much, because they only made around 5,000. Hell, they made about 25,000 of the Jorg Sacul and it only goes for between $50-$60 now, and continues to fall. As a wiseman once said, "A fool and his money are soon parted." ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BanthaPoodoo
11-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I think I may have gotten the best deal on this one. I only paid $0.01 for mine.

Didnt purchase anything else either! They had one hanging with all the other figures, so I picked it up. Went to the front to checkout & the cashier said, "Wow, a penny?" She went and asked the manager if that was right & she said yes.

So she rang it up & asked if I had a penny on me. I gave her my penny & left the store!!! Glad I didnt have to by $20 of stuff I didnt want or need.

Here is a link to the image of the receipt if you want to take a peek.

http://www.netpathway.com/~matt/sshots/greceipt.gif

SNAYSON
11-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Jedi Master Silas, I've seen the shipping case that these come in. It was even posted online somewhere. I doubt that it's Hasbro's fault the cards are in poor condition. More likely it's workers that don't give a crap and manhandled them, when they were taking them out of the box. My TRU had them up at the front in the Security Office. Some TRU's seem to have just tossed them out on the floor, or in a dump bin. It sounds more like a case of your TRU not caring about the collector. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

i for one have seen the cases and majority of the cards were curled. none were ripped though. there were cards that were in great shape.

abell748
11-06-2002, 02:10 PM
I ordered mine Saturday from the TRU website with the landspeeder and received them 10 minutes ago. I was scared about the R2 cards condition after hearing about the conditons of the R2's at the stores in the cases (add that to the fact that mine was packed and shipped by them). To my surprise the R2 was mint with no dings, bends, stress creases, or whatever. TRU.com about gave me a heart attack!!!

SNAYSON
11-06-2002, 02:17 PM
my first r2, i was bummed at the condition i get mine. the entire case, the cards were warped. it looked like it warped when the manufacture mated/sealed the blister to the card. that case was a bummer if someone was looking for a straight card.

BUT

my second r2 i did manage to get a very clean, straigh & crease free card from a new case that was open the next day.

happy!

Lord Tenebrous
11-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Interesting clip from Pegwarmer:

Silver R2-D2: SOLD OUT
VinylJawa: At least that's the word I got today when I went to pick up the little guy. The clerk couldn't understand why I was mad when she told me about the guy who plunked down $1,000 to get FIFTY of them.

So much for the one for everyone who wants one. . .at least in Iowa.

Looks like Tycho has some army-building competition.

BanthaPoodoo
11-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Hee hee, I could have gotten 50 for 50 cents had they had that many at my store!!!

May have to get greedy & go back to see what I find!

tagmac
11-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Well, that "jedifett-lives" person is obviously the biggest moron in the world to have placed that bid. I also noticed that the "buy it now for $999" option has disappeared.

As for Jorg Sacul, I found one at a collectibles show a few weeks ago. The guy told me it was $125, so I left it. He prolly had about 10 of them hiding, but made it seem like that was all he had.

Obi-wedge
11-06-2002, 06:43 PM
I was out in Amarillo the other day and the R2s were just thrown in a bin witht the "buy $20 get one free" tag Most were still in fairly good condtion though

tagmac
11-07-2002, 06:42 PM
I went back to my local TRU today, and found out that I never should have spent the $15 from amazon for my Artoo. They STILL had a bin full of them there, and since I actually found 2 clone pilots, I bought them and the gunship, as ell as my free R2. So now I have 2 of them, one to open, one to keep sealed. Having seen this, these R2's simply aren't as rare and valuable as everyone thinks, and these morons paying all that money on e-bay should seriously re-think their lives.

JarJarSTINKS
11-09-2002, 08:45 AM
I went ahead and returned all the landspeeders I bought and noticed that the box was still there full of R2s...if I didnt have enough of them as it is I would get more.