PDA

View Full Version : $10 For This?????

Jangu Fett
11-02-2002, 03:07 PM
I just got home from TRU, where I found the so-called AF Solar Sailer. All I an say is..........

ARE YOU KIDDING:mad: :mad: :mad:

I wasted 10 dollar on this piece of garbage??????? This is not Action Fleet. This is absolutly TRASH, not suitable for display along with my AF collection. The only fun any kid would get out of this, is seeing how well it flies into a trash bin. The Sailer is made of a low quility plastic. Very flimsy. And it was problibly made in a hurry.

I thought the Action Fleet, was called that because of 2 reasons. 1- reason it had a MINI ACTION FIGURE and 2- ACTION FEATURES. The Sailer has neither. Hell, this Sailer isn't even detailed. It's so plain.

On the back of the box, it shows Dooku exiting the ship from a ramp in the back of the ship. Where is that ramp? Another shot on the back shows the ship landed in the secret hangar on Coruscent. Where are the laning gear??? Oh, yeah. One other thing, where is Dooku's name? Isn't this Dooku's Solar Sailer???

Answer. No this is not Dooku's ship, his was awesome. This is not. Dooku would have killed the Geonosians if they gave him this ship.

I feel like I was ripped off. How can Hasbro release such garbage. If they made all there items, like the Sailer. Lucas would have stripped them of the Star Wars licence. I mean it, I was cheated. All Star Wars AF fans were. TRU , or Hasbro should pay me $10 to take this. If the rest of the AF comes like this or as more rehashed ships, like the X-wing, Falcon, and a number of others, that Hasbro only copied from Galoob. The Af will die a quick death. When I first heared they were releaseing a Solar Sailer I thought, it would have a Mini Dooku. And be really nice. I was going to get, at least 2. But, with this I'm sorry I wasted my time and money.

Hasbro really needs to rethink what theey are doing with the Action Fleet.

Jangu Fett
11-02-2002, 03:11 PM
You know there was only one good thing about me getting the Sailer. And that I got a 25th Silver Anniversary R2-D2.

Jedi Idej
11-03-2002, 12:47 AM
I feel the same way. I didn't open it for several days while I mulled over keeping or returning it.

Not only does it not have the landing features or the figure, the bloody thing is undersized. Also, the detail is minimal. Whereas the ship in the movie has a bulbous rear, Hasbro goes cheap by simulating it with gray paint.

JediTricks
11-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Jangu Fett
You know there was only one good thing about me getting the Sailer. And that I got a 25th Silver Anniversary R2-D2. Same here, this one got a grade of "F" from me, it fails to be an Action Fleet vehicle IMO. I'm not angry about it and I did put it with my AF display, but I'm certainly disappointed. If I hadn't gotten that R2 for buying this, I'd be pretty miffed.

2-1B
11-03-2002, 10:14 PM
I planned on buying it as soon as I heard of it's release just because I like the ship so much . . .

this weekend I saw it at Wal-Mart and I couldn't allow myself to buy it.

Instead I used the $10 on another Playskool set. :D

haggie
11-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Worst. Action Feet. Ever.

Jayspawn
11-05-2002, 11:31 PM
See I was looking forward to getting the Solar Sailor. It can't be that bad can it?

Well maybe I'll get one just to get an R2.

yorkie
11-06-2002, 03:01 AM
Definitely the worst Action Fleet ever seen. However the AT-TE is a work of art. Kudos to Hasbro for this one.

At least AF is back in some form and if the 2003 series do come out they seem to have listened to the fans and we'll get that Star Destroyer and Mon Calamari cruiser at last.

Now if they'll just get the AT-TE designer to develop all the new ones.

Love to see AF for non-Star Wars ships too. Ah well, can dream.

jeddah
11-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by haggie
Worst. Action Feet. Ever.

I take it you never got the Classic waves with the Guppy, The Duck or the cloudcars?

;)

I'll tell you what my opinion of this AF in 2004 when we get Wave 2 here in the yUK ;)

jeddah

stillakid
11-06-2002, 01:16 PM
Funny, I was just looking at that one yesterday and considered getting it as my lead in for silver R2. I picked up the Gunship instead.

Too bad about the quality thing. I fear that AF is the only real hope of seeing this ship made into a toy. As much as I'd like a full sized (3 3/4 scale:rolleyes: ) version made, I considered getting this one. Thanks for the heads up. I do believe I'll pass. :)

JediTricks
11-06-2002, 09:03 PM
The Guppy is fun, has some adequate features and an... ample cockpit (I'm sorry, but there's NO reason it has to be so big IMO ;)), the Duck... at least came with some figures and looks accurate from the back, the cloudcar is small but actually pretty good. In my mind, the Solar Sailer is easily worse than those 3, worse than the Imp Lander, the flash speeder, even the Naboo Fighter - and you KNOW how I feel about that one.

But if you like the solar sailer in the film, then buy this toy because you'll not likely see another one of this vehicle again.

SWAFMAN
11-06-2002, 11:39 PM
I opened a sailer this evening.

A Pet Rock on a golf tee would display nicer and offer better playability.

Apparently the "Action" features are the part where you untwist the twist-ties and remove it from the box, then try to get it to rest properly on the stand.

Following the tradition of the Duck and the Guppy, we now have Mrs. Dooku's I.U.D. :rolleyes:

The repaint Naboo fighter is a letdown (IMO), after the dramatic repaints of the X-wing and Falcon. My Naboo fighter's soft plastic/rubber tail is slightly warped - bending to the left - a-la the MM x- and y-wings (or "Slick's" "Willie" if you believe the court transcripts)

The AT-TE is the only one of the three that deserves the AF label (IMO). Other than the cockpit, apparently designed for an Expanded Universe species of aliens who are the shape and size of an uncooked grain of rice, the only thing I would like to have seen in this vehicle is some kind of opening panel(s) or compartment(s) into the main "body."

The AT-TE displays handsomely, all the moving guns, legs & feet were an instant attraction to my kids. It's definitely a step back in the right direction for the line.

Now, let's get some AFs with mini figs and cockpits to hold 'em!

sicqnus
11-07-2002, 03:28 AM
Maybe you could use your Solar sailer as a Shuttlecock... if you like playing Badminton...

JediTricks
11-07-2002, 07:54 PM
The AT-TE cockpit is not just 1 chair, it's 2 chairs (one above the other) so the figures would have to be smaller than a grain of rice.

haggie
11-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by jeddah
I take it you never got the Classic waves with the Guppy, The Duck or the cloudcars? ;)

Hmm... I seem to be outside of the loop here. Which AFs are "affectionately" referred to as the Duck and the Guppy? I do have a Cloud Car. I don't think it's so bad because it is accurate. Yes, it is tiny, but that is the size it should be. The only thing bad about it was the price. That box should have had two cloud cars in it instead of just one.

JediTricks
11-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Guppy - AF B-wing
Ducky - AF Imp Shuttle

I think the Cloud Car should have had a landing platform in the box, I think 2 cars would have been too expensive for the $10 pricepoint.

haggie
11-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Wow. I've never thought any bad thoughts about either of those. I like the B-Wing and Shuttle. The Flash Speeder and Jabba's Sail Barge are the only other two AFs I can think of off-hand that I consider "bad".

Jayspawn
11-11-2002, 12:14 AM
I thought those 2 Action Fleets were pretty good.

haggie
11-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Most people seem to disagree with me about the Sail Barge. The problem with the Flash Speeder is how out of proportion it is. Really, it's not so bad though.

JediTricks
11-11-2002, 07:52 PM
I think very poorly of the Flash Speeder, but I don't understand the animosity surrounding the Sail Barge, that one seems pretty good to me.

haggie
11-11-2002, 11:56 PM
The Sail Barge is so blah. It's way out of proportion, which really bugs me. It's also very plain. There's just nothing to it. You can slide an immensely oversized Jabba the Hut into it. Joy. The windows should open, it should have a bunch of deck detailing. It should be cool, but it really isn't.

good shot jansen
11-12-2002, 06:39 AM
i actually enjoy the sail barge. when mixed with the mm desert skiff, and the mm jabba's palace/saarlac pit playset, it's actually scaled very nicely! :)

there have been tons of battles staged on it's main deck (after the sails are removed), with tons of little af and mm guys being thrown over the side to meet their timely death in the belly of the saarlac!

the cool thing about the entire micro machines line, is that all the toys play very well across the toy lines.

you can almost always find a proper scale vehicle from either the die cast or mm lines, to be just the right size for a duel with it's larger action fleet brethren.

:)

JediTricks
11-13-2002, 08:11 PM
haggie, you're of course entitled to your opinion, but if I may...

Out of proportion to itself? I'm not seeing that, it seems fairly close, closer than the Rebel Blockade Runner IMO. Maye it should be a little wider, but I am not even sure of that.

1 set of windows do open, Jabba's windows.

I don't remember a lot of deck details, but more detailing is always better.

haggie
11-13-2002, 11:41 PM
Out of proportion when compared to the Desert Skiff. Yes, the Blockade Runner (and Republic Cruiser as well as others) are out of proportion too, but <opinion>they are much cooler ships</opinion> so I'm more forgiving. The Sail Barge just doesn't do it for me on any level.

vulcantouch
11-13-2002, 11:54 PM
btw the 2 terms i use to differentiate between the issues of proportion discussed here are "internal proportions" (i.e. inaccuracies of af rbr & bwing) and "relative (as in to other ships) proportions" :)

LTBasker
11-14-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by haggie
Out of proportion when compared to the Desert Skiff. Yes, the Blockade Runner (and Republic Cruiser as well as others) are out of proportion too, but <opinion>they are much cooler ships</opinion> so I'm more forgiving. The Sail Barge just doesn't do it for me on any level.

Compare it to the micro-machine Skiff from the Jabba's Palace & Sarlacc MM playset, seems pretty in portion there since it's so big Jabba had to be MM Jabba. 'course he was a little smaller than the skiffs so the Barge would be a little too big then.

haggie
11-14-2002, 12:19 AM
I can't seem to find photos of this Sarlacc playset anywhere. Can somebody show me the way?

Are you saying the AF Sail Barge works well in conjunction with the Sarlacc set or are you saying the Sarlacc set has the skiff and barge in better proportions?

good shot jansen
11-14-2002, 06:52 AM
here's a link to view the tatooine playset (http://www.geocities.com/micro_machines_space/MMSP10d.html)

the mm skiff, is in a very good scale to the af barge.

jeddah
11-14-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
...... even the Naboo Fighter - and you KNOW how I feel about that one.

:D Yeah, the N1 is your Guppy ;), I know that!

I love the way that this thread has become a home for our disgruntles :D especially because the title is so evocative

Well done!

jeddah

p.s SK, did you pick up the special Silver R2? I love astromechs like my own mother :eek: and would love a pic posted if you have means to do so :kiss:

stillakid
11-14-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jeddah

:D Yeah, the N1 is your Guppy ;), I know that!

I love the way that this thread has become a home for our disgruntles :D especially because the title is so evocative

Well done!

jeddah

p.s SK, did you pick up the special Silver R2? I love astromechs like my own mother :eek: and would love a pic posted if you have means to do so :kiss:

Why yes I did! I'll snap a photo a little later today and slap it on here. You folks don't get one? If not, I'll see what I can do to pick one up for you. I know what the little guy means to you. What does it cost to ship an R2 unit over the pond anyway? :confused:

jeddah
11-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Great, look forward to the picture :)

As soon as the HM Customs (Trade Fed), Postal workers and neighbours who have signed for it for me get their cut, about 1379.65 :D

jeddah

JediTricks
11-14-2002, 04:12 PM
I also got it, but my camera pretty much won't handle the lighting needs of the Silver R2, so between the pics of it here on SSG and those others will add, I think you'll get the idea there. :D

stillakid
11-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Taking his picture is a biatch. :crazed:

I picked up some Clone Pilots at TRU today, but lo and behold they were out of the giveaway R2's. :(

jeddah
11-14-2002, 04:58 PM
OOOOOHHH. Shiney! The vintage card is a bute! :o

AND you have the I-R2! :eek:

actually, SK I hate you now ;)

jeddah