PDA

View Full Version : Forums (OLD) - Keep?

SirSteve
10-31-2001, 06:42 PM
Should I keep a link to the OLD forums system on the home page or is it just wasting space?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2001, 07:25 PM
Keep. As I said before, the only reason I'd say dump it is if it's slowing down the New Forums.

Nostalgia rocks!

Jargo
10-31-2001, 07:28 PM
If you need the space then remove it. But please don't bin the old forums. It's great reading in there.

It's nice to be able to reference old threads as Bel-Cam did in the Rick Mccallum quote thread just today. Some of the funniest lines were uttered in those old forums, it would be a shame to lose them.

Will you keep a link somewhere else instead of on the front page?

Jedi Clint
10-31-2001, 07:48 PM
Keep 'em.

vulcantouch
10-31-2001, 11:23 PM
. . . so i hope they stay :) of course, i wouldn't mind if the linx were taken off the main page & put on each respective new forum. for example, the mm forum's main page would have a link to the old mm forum, new potj to old potj etc :D

GNT
11-01-2001, 12:10 AM
Please keep it,without them we would be useless and I'd have no ideas for new threads :)

Tycho
11-01-2001, 02:06 AM
I'd take Emperor Jargo's suggestion. Keep the old Forums (at least for a year - does that break down into exorbanant costs?) and maybe take the link off the main page.

The link could be on the new Forums main page.

Put a hit counter on the Old Forums main page, and monitor its usage.

With none, or after about a year's use, post a warning that they're coming down permanently.

But Ultimately, SirSteve is very cool for asking and considering our opinions on this. Most web masters would just replace sections with new software technology. Steve cares that his visitors just can't replace everything they've thought and written over the past few years, and that stuff holds some nostalgic value when we might be comparing our reactions to Episode One's initial release, to our thoughts on May 17, 2001.

TeeEye7
11-01-2001, 04:24 AM
The Old Forums are not a waste of space.

Please keep them (for the same reasons stated above) :)

SirSteve
11-01-2001, 05:53 AM
Ok, the link will stay on the home page.

JediTricks
11-01-2001, 10:05 AM
This is really being seen as 2 issues:

- Should we keep the old forums? YES

- Should we keep the link on the main page? NO

IMO, we do NOT need a link to the old forums on the main page. However, we DO need to keep the old forums. I suggest simply putting a link on the first page of these forums to the old forums and let it be. No need for the main SSG page to be linked to it.

good shot jansen
11-01-2001, 11:33 AM
either of the two recommendations made by vulcantouch, and jedi tricks are good locations to place the links.

Starfig873
11-01-2001, 12:37 PM
Where else could the link be located then? My only thought would be a link IN the new forums.

Brave Sir Robin
11-01-2001, 04:57 PM
personally, I don't read 'em, but if it means so much to other people, keep 'em.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-01-2001, 05:27 PM
I could care less, but if most people want them what's the harm?