PDA

View Full Version : dagobah X-wing

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-05-2002, 06:09 AM
Am I right in thinking the SAGA X-wing is just a re-paint of the force f/x X-wing. If so does anyone have it and is it really different enough for me to warrant paying 50 ($75) for.
Cheers

kdp100
11-05-2002, 06:30 AM
Nope, it IS based on the same mould, but you can remove and replace the pilot and astromech and fit the 'camping utensils' behind the pilot's seat.
The Force F/X X-Wing had an integrated Luke pilot & R2 with levers to move these 2 heads and the pilot's targeting-scope. I think it has electronics too, which the new version lacks.

I paid about 50 for mine and I'm happy with it - it's much better than the POTF2 version!

sicqnus
11-05-2002, 07:21 AM
I have both versions. I prefer the Power FX one, the electronics are awesome (lighted engines, lighted visor, lighted R2, lots of sounds) and the paintjob is not really amazing on the Dagobah version (too much black on the engines...). Overall the ship in itself has correct proportions and is accurate. It's a good opportunity to buy an FX on Ebay, there are plenty for sale for a pricepoint of $20 - $35 (this ship was sold for $65 at Targets in 1997 !).

Funny :

Take a closer look at the X-Wing pictured at the back of the Saga box : the wings are assembled to back...

JEDIpartner
11-05-2002, 09:07 AM
I prefer the TRU version over the P F/X version because you can use it with your figures! :D

The Overlord Returns
11-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Damn Saga version is $50 + here in Canada. Between one of these, and 2 Republic Gunships (69.99 ea).....god .....

Still..I prefer the look of the saga x wing over the power fx....

Jayspawn
11-05-2002, 12:49 PM
I prefer the SAGA X-Wing more because you can put other droids in it and other pilots as well. It's more fun to play with I think.

Jargo
11-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Not to mention about three pounds lighter. Try flying the FX version round and you nearly rupture your wrist ligaments. The saga version is light as air in comparison. I prefer the FX version paint deco but the playability factor of the saga one is much better. The sounds on the FX version are really cool though since they don't spound like Stephen hawking and they actually are discernable. It took me a few tries to actually figure out how to get all of the sounds to work because one of the activators was too stiff but once you get it going it's got tons of sound bites and sound effects. the box says it's got twelve or something but if you break it down there's more. As far as voice chips go there's only the AT-AT that comes close for fun value.
Buy both, leave the FX version displayed on a shelf and play with the SAGA version. I payed roughly 50 for each of mine. I think both are well worth it although I wish the prices had been lower and they were more widely available. I wouldn't mind getting a second Saga x-wing to customise.

The Overlord Returns
11-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Man...it would be great if a toy DID sound like stephen Hawking!

Jargo
11-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Do you have your commtech reader handy and a handful of episode one figures...... :D Palpatine sounds suspiciously Hawking like if you ask me. Especially if you place the commtech reader on a hard surface. The way to get the chips to sound reasonable is to place the reader on a cushion to muffle the tinniness of the awful speaker they put into the thing.

EDIT* palpatine? I meant Darth Sidious.

The Overlord Returns
11-05-2002, 01:22 PM
damn....never bothered with the reader....

SplFrcsCWO
11-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by kdp100
Nope, it IS based on the same mould, but you can remove and replace the pilot and astromech and fit the 'camping utensils' behind the pilot's seat.
The Force F/X X-Wing had an integrated Luke pilot & R2 with levers to move these 2 heads and the pilot's targeting-scope. I think it has electronics too, which the new version lacks.

I paid about 50 for mine and I'm happy with it - it's much better than the POTF2 version!

THANK YOU!!! I had no idea where the gear went so poor, cramped R2 had to hang out half-way.

SNAYSON
11-06-2002, 01:51 PM
i like the saga x wing! (could use a cleaning though)

JEDIpartner
11-08-2002, 10:17 AM
It's seen a lot of action! :D

Jargo
11-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Dale, your avatar is inspired. I doff my hat to you for coming up with something that expresses my feelings on the pictured gentlemen exactly. :)

The x-wing would have benefitted from the paint on- wipe off method applied to so many figures these days. The black is a little OTT on the saga x-wing. The engine dirt i could probably understand but the big black nose cone makes it look like a cartoon bird or something stupid. Just a tad overboard there with the paint apps. And maybe we could get a re-release in squadron colors or something. How about Wedges or Porkins x-wing. Why the heck do we have to have fddamn whiny Luke's this and whiny luke's that? Probably fat boy george's input. or Hasbro are just toadying to him. I'd like to see some different markings on an x-wing for a change. Some proper blast damage where the fuselage is really messed up from a laser blast, all melted and with the wires exposed or whatever. Maybe re-release it with a blast apart feature wher the nose splits off and the rear fuselage breaks away and the wings and engines break away. Give it the death star trench treatment and call it Biggs Darklighters x-wing.
Something a bit tasty.

The Overlord Returns
11-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Am I correct in assuming that is eminem?

Jargo
11-08-2002, 05:14 PM
Eminenema it is. I'd recognise his foul Tench anywhere.

Back to the X-wing, Now that they've got a sculpt that accurately reflects collectors desires in having a cockpit free of glued in figure, a droid slot and the right scale, it'd be cool to issue stickers for customising the wings and fuselage. Much like the vintage batle damage stickers but these would simply be squadron colors and stripe variants. Y'know, rather than make a song and dance of repackaging the thing again and all that variant hullabaloo, just keep shipping the thing as is but release an add on package with stickers and maybe a couple of accessories,even make it a fanclub exclusive if they have to.

I've got both versions of the x-wing in the larger scale. But both are Luke's x-wing according to the deco, so it looks ppretty dumb in my display, like Luke has one decent vehicle and the other is like the one he's embarrased to admit owning because it's a wreck. :)

Beast
11-08-2002, 05:44 PM
I agree, they should have included a sticker package so you could choose which X-Wing to make. That's how the Japanese X-Wing model kit is. Maybe Hasbro will realise that, the next time they re-issue the X-Wing. Just put it out again as "Rebel Allience X-Wing Fighter" and make a big deal of it on the box, saying that you can chose which version to make the ship. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
11-08-2002, 11:16 PM
One of the things I like about the Power F/X X-wing over the Saga X-wing is the nose, the Saga version remolded the nose to be more rounded hence "safer" but it doesn't look right (made even worse with that black paint all over it).

I like both versions of the toy but the Saga one has more play/display possibilities though it's still probably half-scale.

Jargo
11-09-2002, 08:14 AM
I have to admit I was hoping with the saga version for a compartment opening underneath the cockpit for little R2 to repair a la the Dagobah farewell scene. I guess the wings mechanism gets in the way of that though. The safety issue is negated when you consider the sharp pointy wing guns made of hard plastic. The Naboo fighter has vynil pointy parts for safety reasons so going by that the guns should be bendy vynil too but they aren't are they so that argument goes out the window as an excuse for Hasbro to make stuff from vynil like bendy accessories etc. Zam's speeder has bendy vynil rear finials but they aren't removable, the wing guns on the x-wing are removable and so are more likely to go down the throats or into the noses or ears of small children. There's a disparity in the reasoning behind why hasbro makes certain items from vynil and not others. If I were to hazard a guess it's that the POTF x-wing was made before they changed toy safety law and therefore does not come under the ruling. The saga one was made using the same materials and processes and slipped through the net so to speak although technically the materials used should have been different. Going by that reasoning the saga x-wing flouts toy safety regulations implemented prior to the release of episode one toys. I'm not an expert on this issue at all but a little logic says I'm close to the mark here. If the safety regs are in place and mean vehicles like Zams speeder has to conform then the x-wing should also have fallen under the same scrutiny. But it didn't.
I'm not complaining though, I like the fact that the guns don't warp in heat, that they weren't warped in the packaging when i got them. They're sturdy and solid they way they should be. It just surprises me that they are that's all.
My dog prefers the saga version because it doesnt make any high pitched noises. The POTF one freaks him out. Not as much as saga coruscant sentry R2 though. That's torture for poor Buster.

My bottom line is that both x-wings are cool, both are nifty for differing reasons but there is still room for improvements and additions/changes. And a break apart version would be cool. With enough ships now to recreate the death star run, a break apart version would allow you to do it justice. Add in the squadron color/wing marking alternative stickers and you're set. Oh, and a little easier on the black paint would be prime. :)

A break apart Y-wing would also be very welcome.... ;)