PDA

View Full Version : I see my house (USA only)

James Boba Fettfield
11-05-2002, 09:36 PM
I just found this cool thing that lets you view your house from pictures taken by a satellite. I'm glad that when the picture was taken for my home that I wasn't outside on one of my usual urinating off the back porch routines. It can all be found here:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/default.aspx

2-1B
11-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Whoa. :crazed:

I haven't found my digs yet, but the main Interstate that runs through here is a good guideline to follow.

stillakid
11-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I just found this cool thing that lets you view your house from pictures taken by a satellite. I'm glad that when the picture was taken for my home that I wasn't outside on one of my usual urinating off the back porch routines. It can all be found here:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/default.aspx

That's freaky! The photos are old but it's still pretty cool. Thanks!

2-1B
11-05-2002, 10:12 PM
stillakid, how old are they by you?
For my area it says April 2000 . . . :)

James Boba Fettfield
11-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Odd to see your home more than 8 years ago. I just used the advance search to find my place. Just a warning, my house was pointed out as being on the other side of the road, so don't be discouraged if it isn't pointing exactly at your home.

Beast
11-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Caesar, just use the advanced search and choose the address version. There you can put in your address and stuff. It will bring up the pages that your house would appear on. It's easier then trying to navigate the map. Especially once your zoomed in. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks, but since I'm planning to skydive home from work tomorrow, I'll need the reference photos. :D

stillakid
11-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
stillakid, how old are they by you?
For my area it says April 2000 . . . :)

The actual photo page says October 3, 1995 but the initial address page says that the aerial photo is from 6/1/1994. Just from the photo I can see some structural changes of other buildings around me.

I found my parent's house the hard way (clicking across a Turnpike in Zoom mode) before I opened my eyes and found the Advanced search feature.

Next search...Miami Beach at Spring Break! :cool:

QLD
11-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Kind of neat. I just moved into my house a few months ago. The pictures of mine are from 1994. Interesting to see how little stuff was around here then.

Exhaust Port
11-05-2002, 11:21 PM
My area showed 1994 when I clicked on it but showed Sept. 2001 when the picture loaded. I didn't realize that the date was different at first and was puzzled why certain buildings were built and other were razed. "I know that wasn't there in '94." But with my amazing grasp on the English language I finally read the page and saw the date.

Go the famous landmarks page and they have some quick links to some interesting stuff. Twin Towers from '94.

Also checking the local airport it seems they took a picture a day that I was at work looking back at my logbook. There's a pretty good chance that I'm in this picture somewhere.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2149&y=22920&z=17&w=1

An extreme version of Where's Waldo. :D

LTBasker
11-06-2002, 01:02 AM
I unfortunately didn't see the address version so I ended up finding both my houses (moved a few years ago, but I'm in the same city) from navigating. It was a bit difficult but when I finally realized what direction I should've been going in and found the schools (they're right in the center between the two places I've lived) it was easy to navigate using the streets. Now I've gotta look up some of my friends' locations using their addresses! :evil:

Boba Rhett
11-06-2002, 02:42 AM
I'm right here (http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=3639&y=23530&z=14&w=1). The one to the left of the center.

Exhaust Port
11-06-2002, 10:03 AM
Holy smokes Boba Rhett. How far do you have to drive to find a store? I kept zooming out, and out, and out and never really found a town to speak of.

scruffziller
11-06-2002, 10:45 AM
I have found my parents farm.

Pendo
11-06-2002, 01:14 PM
I heard that there was a UK one of these somewhere, but I cannot find it :(. it certainly IS interesting though, I'm still playing around on it and I don't even know anyplaces on there :rolleyes::happy:!

PENDO!

master jedi
11-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Holy smokes Boba Rhett. How far do you have to drive to find a store? I kept zooming out, and out, and out and never really found a town to speak of.

I can answer that for Rhett.(After all we are brothers).
We live about 5 or 6 miles out-side of Sioux City and there are some stores right at the edge of the city. It's not a long drive to get to a store.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Thats pretty cool.

QLD
11-06-2002, 05:18 PM
I never could get it to zoom in for me....how do you get it to do that?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Here's my house, only 9 years ago (I moved in two years later):

Exhaust Port
11-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I never could get it to zoom in for me....how do you get it to do that?

There's a horizontal scale with a "+" and "-" at the appropriate ends located just to the upper left of the image. Clicking between those will take you in and out.

Patient Zero
11-07-2002, 11:12 AM
If I can't find my house, does it mean that I don't exist! Am I just some anoying computer virus? Have any of you seen me?

vulcantouch
02-27-2003, 11:39 PM
go to mapquest.com, type in an address and when its map comes up select "aerial photo" option :cool:

Kidhuman
02-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Thats pretty cool. I saw my house from outer space. Kinda scary though, that they can see what we are doing.