PDA

View Full Version : hmmmm, so now lego enters the mini star wars arena

good shot jansen
11-06-2002, 09:26 AM
read about this on the news page (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=16&show_article=216)

so if this toy line takes off, and is indeed successful, will hasbro see the light, and bring back mm's?

or if this line fails, will hasbro point to it and say see?, that's why we don't make micro machines.:frus:

what the hell did hasbro see in galoob anyway? i always felt that the micro machines were galoob's strongest toy line, and if hasbro didn't have any intentions of continuing the franchise, why buy it?

more importantly, if lego now has the rights to produce, mm sized toys, does that mean that hasbro has lost the right to do it themselves?

LTBasker
11-06-2002, 01:13 PM
I doubt it means that Hasbro lost the right. MM sized toys aren't that big of a deal when it comes to LEGO doing them because they're basically the same as the bigger sets, you build them brick by brick. They're smaller models but not as a significant difference between Hasbro's vehicles and Galoob's micro-machines.

However I think you're right about the fact that Hasbro could be watching it to see how well it does.

JediTricks
11-06-2002, 08:58 PM
It seems like Hasbro just wanted a monopoly on Star Wars merchandising. They bought Kenner, then CAP Toys (the candy maker that had the candy-dispenser license), Tiger, and now they own WOTC which owns the fan club and got the rights to the CCG.

IIRC, Galoob was 3rd toymaker behind Hasbro and Mattel in the US and not 1 of its key lines survived intact. I guess maybe Hasbro bought Galoob for the talent that worked there, I was told the Galoobers designed at least half of the POTJ figures (the most popular line of SW figures since 1998). Now Lego is #3 (this happened before SW came out BTW, LEGO was #3 w/out SW's help).

Lego has the right to make building block "models", which is why they cannot make Technic-scale figures and sets, the Lego minifigs are considered models because you have to build them yourself from the included pieces. These mini-vehicles are the same thing.

It seems to me like Hasbro has made every excuse possible not to reboot the MM line, I think they're either being vengeful towards the line that restarted toy interest in Star Wars or they're too afraid of potential parental lawsuits from selling such small toys. I guess they still claim there's no market for them at this time, but I haven't heard the latest reasoning so it may have changed.

I tell you what though, in my mind, the Lego MINI line and Galoob's MM line are apples and oranges and Hasbro would be unwise to try to find a close correlation. I think the Lego line is gonna be a fun and inexpensive way to get 2 cool ships you can build yourself and I hope it does well, I think it might.

jeddah
11-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Well I got a free TIE fighter with my Fan club issue this week and when I bought the SD magazine on Thursday, I got it free with that, also. :)

I gave the 2nd one to Tracey at work because she's at 'that time' at the moment.

I want the X-wing though. It's zooper cool

jeddah