PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg goes to Cuba (merged)

Patient Zero
11-06-2002, 03:17 PM
With things like this, how I suppose to know when I am dreaming or awake anymore???

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021105/ap_wo_en_po/cuba_spielberg_3

The Overlord Returns
11-06-2002, 03:21 PM
What's so hard to believe about Spielberg and Castro chatting it up?

JON9000
11-06-2002, 03:33 PM
As many of you probably know, Steven Spielberg took a trip to Cuba in order to hang out with Castro, smoke cigars, and attend a film festival with many of his films. What do you think of this visit? What do you think of America's policy towards Cuba in general? Do you support an end to it or sustaining it? What do you make of the Cuban exile community's influence on American politics?

I am not sure what to make of Cuba. I know an incredible gap between the have and have nots in the 1950's allowed Castro to mobilize the masses in order to overthrow the ruling class, and upon doing so, he slaughtered or imprisoned most of them.

I am also aware that we tried to help the exile community take the island back and we got our heads handed to us at the Bay of Pigs. I think we are still smarting from that.

Castro, if I am to believe the American media, is a rather brutal dictator.

I think, however, the time has come to try something different. This whole "let's punish Castro so we can carry the Florida vote" business has gone on too long. Perhaps opening travel restrictions would help. The flow of Americans into Cuba will inevitably bring in our notions of freedom and democracy in as well. Recently, there was a vote to end sanctions, but it was vetoed by the US with only one country in the world supporting us- our 51st state- Israel.

So- I guess it's okay for Speilberg to go. As for the influence of the Cuban American community on US politics- the effect is HUGE! You cannot win Florida without the Cuban vote and Castro is the issue. That's why the Dems and the GOP tow the same line, in spite of the fact that I truly beleive the leaders of both parties might be ready for a policy change.

JON9000
11-06-2002, 03:52 PM
I think I see a thread merge coming...

Patient Zero
11-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Merge Left!

The Overlord Returns
11-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Actually, my understanding of the ruling class slaughter came from heavy working class pressure post revolution. Not only that, but Che Guevera was a much stauncher enforcer of the executions. People often forget that Guevera held a massive amount of power/ sway with Castro. In fact, he personally executed many of those killed.

And now he's on a t shirt!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Yeah, he was trying to get Fidel Castro to fight with Walkie-Talkies rather than guns. :D

JediTricks
11-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Are you sure this isn't just scouting locations for the next Jurassic Park movie? ;)

Seriously though, I don't really know what to make of the Cuban situation but it seems like there's got to be a better way by now. Not like much of any of our South American foreign policy has been all that good anyway though so why should Cuba get special treatment?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-06-2002, 10:58 PM
From what I remember learning, the regime before Castro left was even more brutal to the people then we think Castro's. Fulgencio Batista was the dictator's name. That was during the time the Mafia helped run things in Cuba.

I think our policy has been long dictated by Cuban Americans in Miami, many of them were Batista loyalists and that is why they fled the country. Our shameful policy of 'wet foot, dry foot' for refugees who reach Florida was brought into light last week when a boatful of Haitians landed in Miami. If those people were Cubans, the Cuban community would have made sure that they were naturalized by now.

Castro has been in power since 1959, and has ruled during the tenure of Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and some of those presidents served two terms. We have tried to get rid of him from almost day one. We have tried invasions, counterinsurgent attacks on him (poision pens, exploding cigars) and even sabotage on his sugar and oil refineries. Nothing has worked. He is still in power.

Being a dictator, he should be looked at in a positive light. Democracy is a far superior form of government, one that empowers each and every citizen with important responsibilities. But if we compare Castro to other dictators, we can say that he has probably done a better job than most in the treatment of his people. Economically, Cuba is better off than most of the Caribbean nations. Education is a priority in his country. Hey, Cuba even has universal healthcare for all, something we don't have.

My favorite story on Castro was during the early 80's and the Muriel Crisis. A bunch of Cubans stormed the Peruvian Embassy in 1980 and demanded asylum. It was then, that Cuba decided to allow all citizens who so desired to leave the country and go to the U.S. Of course the U.S. and the Cuban community in Florida graciously accepted them. A few months later Castro emptied out his prisons and mental institutions and sent them on a boat to Florida. Many of those people are responsible for crime in Miami still today, or so I hear.

Fidel should receive some sort of medal for staying in power for 40+ years, while the most powerful nation in the world that only sits 90 miles away, has tried in vain to oust him out of power yet has been unsuccessful.

QLD
11-06-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm still in my bomb shelter because of this crazy missle crisis. Let me know when it is over!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-09-2002, 12:57 AM
My suspiscions confirmed. . . . Spielberg went to the island just to smuggle home a couple cases of cigars.

Beast
11-09-2002, 01:04 AM
Why would he need to smuggle them home? Hell, he has enough cash that he can pay the authorities to look the other way while he tap dances thru the airport to his private plane, that lands at his private airfield, on his private estate. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

JaR Jar Binks

JediTricks
11-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Spielberg has enough cash that he could simply buy another island country to fly to whenever he feels like smoking a cuban cigar.

The 'Xir
11-11-2002, 10:06 AM
Once again, like Saddam, a two-faced issue for our wonderful government! After the Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, and Vietnam; We've given Castro economic support, for everytime he's a good little dictator! Yet, we Americans lose out 'cause we can't smoke their cigars, Although 60% of our youth are strung out on some sort of drug comming in from that country! Does anything make any sense anymore? I highly doubt it! Some one unplug me from the matrix! Please?! ;)