PDA

View Full Version : AFA Toy Grader

RynBkr2002
11-06-2002, 04:11 PM
How does everyone feel about the AFA Toygrader? I was just thinking about sending in a couple of my more expensive figures, and was wondering how everyone felt about AFA. Is is really worth it? Has anybody here had their figures encased by them? Just another quick little poll. . .

LTBasker
11-06-2002, 04:20 PM
I think it's pathetic. I don't need their opinion on the value of my collection, to me it is priceless and if I need a label to say that then I'll just print my own label and put them on the cases.

If someone wants to send their stuff in fine, but I think it's rather sad when a figure can go for 10x what it usually goes for on ebay just because it was graded.

Jedi Master Silas
11-06-2002, 04:55 PM
I hated when they started grading baseball cards..now toys??? I think it's just another way to get collectors to spend more money. I'd much rather go out and spend the grading fee on some items to add to my collection. IMO it's a mega waste of money. I agree with LT I dont need anyone to tell me what my collection is worth either. I dont want my items in cases either...yuck! Wheres the fun in that???

Darth Cruel
11-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Obviously some pretty strong opinions about AFA. Mine are not as strong nor are they negative.

Does AFA tell you what the item is worth? I thought they only gave an "official" stamp as to the condition. Although that does translate to value indirectly, I didn't know that AFA set the price.

I would not want to spend a great deal of money on it. But I would be very curious to know how mine grade by professionals. However, I do not see any credentials that leave me to believe that AFA is THE authority. But considering all of the lying sellers on Ebay, it is at least SOME kind of measuring standard.

What do they charge and what do you get for it? Does anybody know?

LTBasker
11-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Does AFA tell you what the item is worth? I thought they only gave an "official" stamp as to the condition. Although that does translate to value indirectly, I didn't know that AFA set the price.

They don't set the price but they connect it to a price via their opinion and that's all it is is an opinion, and it shouldn't be taken as gold just because they have holographic images on their labels.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-06-2002, 06:13 PM
IMO, the only person who can set the price is that person who buys the item. It is only worth what people are willing to pay for it whether or not AFA looked at it or not

I think also AFA is being used more and more to not so much as set a price but to gaurantee authenticity with all the up and coming fakes being sold on websites like Ebay because it's the only way to show via a picture, that it is the "real thing" And then of course that 'lil AFA label could also be easily faked. So where does that put us? I've no IDEA!:crazed:

Jedi Master Silas
11-06-2002, 10:51 PM
I know I'm not interested in buying any "graded" SW items. So I wouldnt pay anymore then the norm for graded material.

JangoFart
11-07-2002, 01:52 AM
I disagree with the assertions that AFA grading is a bad thing or that it has anything to do with prices. AFA are independent graders. They care, mainly, about being paid for their services. They don't give two rat's about the actual value of an item. They make $15-30 bucks per figure - period.

I think it is cool having independent graders of figures ESPECIALLY if you've bought anything off of eBay you know that what is C9 to Joe Schmoe is most likely C7 to you.

The indirect effect AFA, or other professional graders, have on price is just as I stated above - they are independent and, in the end, the value means nothing to them. They give their opinion and, like it or not, their opinion holds TONS of water in the collecting world.

J

JangoFart
11-07-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I think also AFA is being used more and more to not so much as set a price but to gaurantee authenticity with all the up and coming fakes being sold on websites like Ebay because it's the only way to show via a picture, that it is the "real thing"

You hit the nail on the head on that one. Those suckers go over the cards and bubbles for tampering, filling in bare spots with ink, etc. When you start talking about figures that go for $500.00+ each, I think it is quite a nice safeguard to know that someone other than me has examined the figure for authenticity and condition.

J

TK-422
11-07-2002, 09:11 AM
I've graded about 10 figures out of my collection with AFA and had no problems. I would rather buy an AFA figure than an ungraded figure off eBay since that way I know it's in the condition advertised, rather than some guy just saying "C9+++ MINT MOC BEST EVER!!!" and then getting a bent card.

sith_killer_99
11-07-2002, 11:06 AM
I like the idea of AFA for grading, inspecting vintage carded figures (ie. Vinyl Cape ESB carded Jawa:eek: ).

As for the modern stuff (unless it's a FF Weequay) who cares? Is a $5.00-$10.00 or even a $35.00 figure worth the money to have graded?

But what do I care if someone wants to spend $200.00 for a 100 (C-10) Jango Fett perview figure. I got mine for $5.00;)

As for the issue of "Fake AFA stickers" I wouldn't worry too much. AFA maintains a database with individual serial numbers. Just make sure you call AFA to verify first.

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 01:28 PM
i'm not for grading figures.

but...

it is nice to have that choice to have unopened figures graded. on the vintage stuff, the grading system is a good idea where the old stuff can be authenticated on condition and originality.

i doubt i will be using AFA in the future; 99% of my figures are open anyway. it's no fun having a figure sealed, only being able to look at it through plastic. if i'm looking for an investment, it certainly will not be in toys; it will be more like plots of land or something more tangable assets.

QLD
11-07-2002, 01:56 PM
It's the biggest waste of money in the world. Not only are you buying a toy to not open, now you are paying someone double the retail cost of the figure, to tell you what condition it is in?

Holy waste of money batman!

Just as a side note, and I won't go into great detail at the moment, but professional grading has DESTROYED the sports card market. And I use the word DESTROYED very strongly.

JangoFart
11-07-2002, 02:24 PM
The only thing I agree with in that post, Dong, is the hot picture of Reese :) I'll second THAT any time!

(since I don't know jack about sports cards, and don't care, I have no opinion on what you said in that regard)

J

Jedi Master Silas
11-08-2002, 01:00 AM
I see everyones point but I still stcik yo what I said and I agree with QLD about where sports cards have gone since the grading crap came out. Anything modern.. I wouldnt pay a cent cent to have it graded. Now maybe a vinyl cape jawa like someone mentioned???? I might do that if I had a question about it being 100 % genuine ........but my big question is.....how well of a job do they do????? Maybe one day you might get a good person to grade then other time you might get Joe Smoe who hates his job...damn I'm reaching arent I??? I still dont care about grading and I STILL think it's a waste of money.

fourtwo
11-08-2002, 10:02 AM
haha. i open my stuff, its "worthless", therefore i find that service rather pointless.
:)

JON9000
11-11-2002, 01:59 PM
If you mean to sell it on e-bay, go ahead and get it graded. The numbers don't lie. People pay stoopid amounts for graded figures. Peace of mind goes for a lot, I suppose.