PDA

View Full Version : Pac Man The Movie

James Boba Fettfield
11-06-2002, 05:17 PM
Pac-Man Fever
It's drivin' me crazy. Pac-Man is headed for a theater near you!

November 05, 2002 - According to today's Hollywood Reporter, Crystal Sky Entertainment and Japanese distributor Gaga (the two companies linked to the live-action Tekken movie) have gobbled up the movie rights to the videogame that started it all, Pac-Man. The trade reports that the companies recently worked out a deal with developer Namco to create a "live-action fantasy adventure" based on the game. What exactly they mean by "live-action," I'm not sure but that could be really interesting (and/or disastrous). No writer or director is attached to the project at this time.

Crystal Sky's president Steven Paul enthused, "There is no other game title bigger than Pac-Man. From children to their parents, Pac-Man is a name everyone knows and loves."

Pac-Man, the game, was originally released in 1980 by Midway. The yellow, pie-shaped character runs around a maze eating pellets while evading four ghosts: Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde. When he eats a power pellet the ghosts turn blue and, for a few seconds, he can eat them. Oh, what fun! The simple game was expanded upon in a number of sequels including Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man and Pac-Land. The latter was largely based on the Pac-Man cartoon by Hanna-Barbera. The Saturday morning show chronicled the adventures of the classic videogame character and his family.

-- Brian Linder http://www.ign.com

Beast
11-06-2002, 05:25 PM
For the love of god, nooooooooooooooo. How can you make a live action Pac-Man movie? Why not just do a movie based on the very first video game instead. "Pong: The Movie". This is gonna suck harder then the crappy "Super Mario Bros." movie. Somebody shoot me. *THUD*

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Well....pong might work....I mean afterall....it is a metaphor for life ;)

Nexu
11-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Yeah, this will be dumb.

James Boba Fettfield
11-06-2002, 05:33 PM
I know something that sucked harder than the Mario Bros. movie. The other video game movie based on brothers Jimmy and Billy! Double Dragon!

Jedi Master Silas
11-06-2002, 05:34 PM
Pac Man the movie??? Oh please? Are you serious? What? Waste of money? Hummmm...

James Boba Fettfield
11-06-2002, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't lie about this Oscar contender of a movie, Silas.

Beast
11-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Ewww, Double Dragon: The Movie. Thanks for bringing up that nightmare of a movie. I may have to sleep with the lights on tonight. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Don't forget that gem of a movie, Street Fighter. Raul Julia, what the hell were you on? I can understand the other actors (Word Is Being Used Loosely) starring in it, but not you.

Rogue II
11-06-2002, 05:50 PM
The Pac-man cartoon and trading cards back in the 80s were terrible, why would they make a movie about a game that hasn't been popular in almost 20 years?

we even had the pac-man board game

QLD
11-06-2002, 08:01 PM
because they are about 20 years behind with what we want to see......

sith_killer_99
11-06-2002, 08:12 PM
Double Dragon!:eek:

Horrible movie, did you see how thick Ms. Alyssa Milano was in THAT movie. Her all time low. Definatly a film I would like to forget.

Eternal Padawan
11-07-2002, 08:09 AM
Live Action Pac Man? Only if they can get Edward Norton to dress up in a giant yellow ball costume. I'd pay $7.00 to see THAT. ;)

scruffziller
11-07-2002, 02:15 PM
I would see a live action Pong game as long as they use that 70s erotic imagery for costumes and props like in Flash Gordon!!:D

QLD
11-07-2002, 02:48 PM
I made the comment to someone yesterday that movie execs would try to get Ben Affleck for this....and movie geeks will want Ed Norton to play the part.

That seems to be the trend for every announced movie lately. :D

El Chuxter
11-07-2002, 03:21 PM
If Ben Affleck plays Pac-Man, they need to have that little duck from the insurance commercials playing, um, what is there to play in this movie? Didn't the ghosts have some sort of humanoid robot boss in the cartoon? Yeah, the duck can play that guy. And he can chase Pac-Man around, screaming, "AFFLECK!!"

I love that insurance duck. He could beat the Geico Gecko or the Taco Bell Dog any day.

"AFFLECK!!"

(Yeah, I know it's really "AFLAC!" but don't spoil my fun here, 'k?)

Lord Malakite
11-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Almost all video game movies are destined to fail. The only exception that come to mind is Mortal Kombat, but Mortal Kombat Anhilation quickly took care of that fluke. Video games almost always have stories that are either too in depth (Double Dragon, Super Mario Bros.) or too simplistic (Pac-Man) to accurately portray in a movie.

Most of the time the people in charge of the movie have no idea what the video game is even really about. As a result, our beloved video game characters either have their stories butchered, exaggerated to add more depth, or completely rewritten all together.

As for why Mortal Kombat was a success, it is simple. The story was good from a movie standpoint to begin with. It had depth, so it wasn't too simplistic. At the same time, you didn't have too many details, thus making it possible to fit within the time allowed. The movie also only focused a few characters and the general story from the first game of the series. But the biggest thing that made it a success was John Tobias and Ed Boon. They knew the story inside and out, because after all, they created the game. Every single scene from the movie had to go through them and be approved before it was allowed.

Mortal Kombat Annilation however tried to focus on all the characters and stories from all the remaining games. A big no no since each character had little or nothing contribute to the story as a result. Also, Tobias and Boon were busy working on the newest Mortal Kombat game at the time, so they didn't get any say in that movie. As a result, the director put whatever he wanted in the movie, such as making Shinnok the father of Shao Khan and Raiden and making Khan and Raiden brothers. Which was completely untrue in the games.

Beast
11-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Lord M, Resident Evil also works as a video game movie. Not only because they didn't make it as a video game movie, but because the game actually has a storyline.

And don't forget who made both that movie, and the first Mortal Combat. Paul W.S. Anderson. Maybe he just has a way with those sort of films. :)

I don't see how they can make a decent Pac-Man movie, that thing is going to be an abomination. Donkey Kong would work better, it atleast has a story. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Patient Zero
11-07-2002, 04:18 PM
What I want is a movie about Burger Time. Plot: Two unsuspecting fast food cooks are assaulted by oversized condiments in a wacky race to keep the customers happy and all the while having quirky conversations about things rarely discussed. Kevin Smith could do it in the style of Clerks.

Lord Malakite
11-08-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Lord M, Resident Evil also works as a video game movie. Not only because they didn't make it as a video game movie, but because the game actually has a storyline.

And don't forget who made both that movie, and the first Mortal Combat. Paul W.S. Anderson. Maybe he just has a way with those sort of films. :)

I don't see how they can make a decent Pac-Man movie, that thing is going to be an abomination. Donkey Kong would work better, it atleast has a story. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I haven't had a chance to see Resident Evil yet, so I can't fully comment on it. From what I have heard though, the story had been altered some from the games and could have been written better. Still, it did fair better than most other video game movies.

Beast
11-08-2002, 01:20 AM
Ok, I refuse to talk to you again until you atleast rent it and see it. The film was excellent in my opinion. Nice to see a good Zombie movie again. We haven't had one of those since the 80's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-08-2002, 04:35 AM
But what is a zombie film without a social commentary....mmm Romero.....

Eternal Padawan
11-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Burger Time! Hurrah!

I remember the old commercial where the people pull up to the drive thru and see a bunch of commotion inside the restaurant before a mean looking guy in Hotdogbun suit screams 'We're closed!" at them and pulls a shade down over the drive thru window.

Tee hee. Classic. :D

QLD
11-08-2002, 10:48 AM
I think I'll start plans on a Q-Bert movie!

Hopping on blocks + snakes + cursing = Box Office GOLD!

Eternal Padawan
11-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Q-Bert. Rated R. ;)

Eternal Padawan
11-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Q-Bert. Rated R. ;)

As it should be.

Eternal Padawan
11-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Rollo J. Tomassi, Esq.

Q-Bert. Rated R.
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

As it should be.

THIS IS MY 1700th POST.