PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd see it

gibbspaulus
11-07-2002, 10:02 AM
I know this happens in the states all them time but look at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1785781958

He's got the gunship for 65 too. I just wasn't expecting to see this in the UK!!!

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-07-2002, 10:25 AM
At least there not up for that much. 50 for the gunship and 25 each for the compactor sets is probably only ~10 more than TrU will sell them for, given their innovative dollar to sterling conversion rate (Remember the AT-AT) and I've seen the gunship in FP for about 45 so not that far off.
Still it's a slippery slope hopefully we'll never get to the point where we have blatant rip-off merchants like the silver R2 woman on US e-bay. She had like a case of 32 selling for $900 or something didn't she. Madness.

gibbspaulus
11-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Gawd, I bet here ears were burning - I know the saga forum ripped into her something chronic.

Oh well, I'll sit patiently waiting for my R2DToys delivery in two weeks.

Jargo
11-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Cheap at twice the price. I bet these go fast. Personally I'll wait for the cheaper general release where each set will probablt retail at 10-12 quid each. As much as I love the lok of the trash compactor sets I don't think I'd be tempted to pay that much for them. hasbro have said themselves that these are going to available widely in the new year. As for the gunship, that's only a few dayts from release generally in the UK really. If it was the arena playset I could understand someone trying to get a few squid for an early showing on it. I mean that's what, a whole month off release. And that's like sooooooooo long to wait...... :rolleyes: :)

kdp100
11-07-2002, 06:02 PM
I think I'll wait, too.
Mind you, I have bought from this chap on more than one occasion and I can confirm that he's one of the best eBay sellers I've come across!

Jargo
11-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I've seen a few sales of his before now when I've been hunting stuff, although I've never resorted to EBAY. Somehow i just don't trust the whole process and loathe the idea of bidding on any item. To lose an auction would be too annoying. I'd rather stick to e-tailers who have enough stock to go round. Guaranteed purchases make me happy. :happy:

Lewis
11-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Ive bought 37 items on e-bay, all star Wars and had no hassle, it can be fun but really is annoying when you get outbid at the last minute.....but good when you do the same back Hee! Hee! :p

gibbspaulus
11-08-2002, 11:02 AM
I am very impatient and (9 out of ten) choose the buy it now option. Avoids all the out-bid anguish cause I'm a sore loser...

Without Ebay I'd not have 60% of the stuff I've got. It's been great for filling in those gaps.

jedi_uk73
11-08-2002, 11:29 AM
I have also got alot of my stuff off ebay.

Alot of it, I have never seen in collector stores anywhere (e.g Jedi Con C-3PO).

Many a time have I been outbid at the last minute, and always by only 50p - 1.

I was for many years after a Theatre Ed Luke Jedi, always outbid, very frustrating. Still I managed to get one privately from a guy in the Netherlands at a fraction of the UK price.

My searching through ebay, still goes on. Kinda addicted to it.

Lewis
11-08-2002, 01:26 PM
A cup of coffee,some biscuits and that's me ready for an hour or so looking through the figures on ebay......VERY addictive :p :crazed:

mightywhelk
11-12-2002, 06:38 AM
My lunch hour at work is devoted to the same cause. And being pipped at the post by being outbid by 20p has to be the most annoying thing.

Harrumph

kdp100
11-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Woohoo, I just won his auction for Kitik Keed'kak!
{Trying not to gloat}.

My first serious purchase for weeks! I'm looking FW to this figure, but I can wait for Wuher and Evazan as I've got versions of them already.

Jargo
11-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Is this an in hand auction? if so well done. One of the few figures that I'm really looking forward to obtaining. Possibly. If stocks allow. No actualy I pre-ordered Kitik a while back from Toypalace as soon as i saw the cantina sets up on the site. I dunno, maybe I pay more over all but i just find it more satisfying to order something and know I'm going to get it. I find the thought of auctions or haggling for something too stress filled and life is very short for fussing and fighting my friend - try to see it my way........ :D

kdp100
11-16-2002, 06:35 AM
Oh, I agree! I always prefer to use Buy-It-Now on eBay if it's available! I just spotted this auction a day or two before its end, and placed a bid a few hours before it closed.
I don't usually have the patience for pre-ordering, even if that means paying a bit more.

My Kitik would appear to be in-hand, from the wording of the auction... plus I've just had an email from the seller telling me that he's sending it out today! :)
It shouldn't take long for the parcel to get from Cornwall to London so I'm hoping it'll arrive by next Wednesday!

Jargo
11-16-2002, 06:49 PM
If you can manage to get a pic of her legs that'd be sweeter than sweet. galactic hunter posted pics but they neglected to do one of what she looks like under the skirt and I hear tell she's fully articulated. It won't be rude to take a pic up an insects skirt i don't think... :eek: But I'm very curious about what they did with her 'legs'. If it's at all possible to get a pic somehow I'd be very grateful to you :)

gibbspaulus
11-17-2002, 04:14 AM
Very worrying kinky buggers... It's like that picture some guy took recently of the 12" Blue and Red Guards, both hitching up their skirts to compare 'construction'...

Oh, there was an advert for toy lightsabres during GM:TV the other morning. First SW toy advert I've seen on TV since the speeder bikes in the eighties. Well, I was excited!

Jargo
11-17-2002, 08:06 AM
Now I didn't want the request to sound kinky at all but i guess no matter how you ask it does. Did you download the hasbro ads for the figures that aired in the states? They were quite funny. Kids running round with slave-1 in their hands reminded me of an old advert from Kenner that had a kid flying an x-wing round. To be honest, the adverts are so short and they show the products so fast you hardly get a good look at the stuff. Did the advert on GMTV have an Americam accent? They sound much better with a yankee accent than a British one. British accents sound stupid talking about action features and the like. Remeber that awful ad for the game 'Operation' where the mum walks into the room and sees the kids giddling in a huddle on the floor and she goes over to see what's going on and the kid says "now it's my turn to operate" hits the buzzer and everyone laughs, then the mother says "Operate! Can I have a go?" in this dreadful fruity middle class voice. It just doesn't seem right to dub American ads into british accents. But that's digressing.

I'd worry about people geting into that whole Queen Amidala Theed invasion pants or no pants thing again but Kitik is just a big insect so it really isn't the same. All i was wondering was if it was possible for her to be supported by her legs without the skirt so if i bought a second one i could customise it to make a male of her species. See, logic to my madness. :D If her legs aren't going to support her without the skirt then i won't bother getting two.

kdp100
11-17-2002, 08:27 AM
I'll see what I can do.... might have some explaining to do if the Vice Squad decide to swoop, though..... :sur:

kdp100
11-21-2002, 06:10 AM
Mantis-lady arrived today!
I haven't had time to open her yet, though, and I doubt I'll be able to get a photo online much before weekend as I'll be out late tonight.

But.....

From the look of the packaging I'd I'd guess that if you were to remove the plastic skirting, there'd be a recess around the waist about 1mm wide and perhaps half as much deep.
The legs appear to go all the way up to the waist and there's a thick tail between them, but I can't see yet if they're articulated and can't tell yet if the legs would support her without the skirt.
There are no holes in the feet, though, so I suspect they might not be fully poseable & that the figure might be articulated just where the skirt joins the body.

I think if you do want to customise this figure you might want to cut the skirt off to leave a kind of belt.

The figure's articulated at the shoulders too, & possibly just above the elbows, although the head and upper torso appear to be moulded from one piece of plastic.

More later when I set her loose - prob'ly tomorrow!

kdp100
11-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Well, I've just opened her and there's no articulation at the elbows as I'd thought, but she does have moveable legs!

Jargo, here's that shot you requested. I think her feet are big enough to support her without the skirt, but I'm not sure that the weight of her arms won't cause her to overbalance if you do cut it off.

Any similar shots of Aunt Beru will cost you, though ... ;)

Jargo
03-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Wow, completely missed this post when you posted it. Thanks kdp100. that's really cool. If i did customise I'd probablty repostion the arms anyway. Take the weight into the center of the body. Then if that failed i'd just find some way to get it on a stand. Realy nice though. thanks again. ;)

kdp100
03-31-2003, 08:03 AM
You're welcome!

I'm at a loss, though, to explain how a creature with arms like that could:
a) Tie the fastenings on its skirt;
b) Hold the drinking-glasses that came with it.

Answers on a postcard....?

gibbspaulus
04-01-2003, 05:05 AM
Like any good preying mantis she has a headless husband to wait on her hand and foot!

Jargo
04-02-2003, 07:25 PM
And why would a large preying insect need a skirt anyway? Hmmmmm....

mark2d2
04-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Jargo just because she is a bug does NOT mean a lady must have no sense of modesty or decorum. For that matter --- why is hammerhead always dressed? I mean just look at those hands! What could he possibly be hiding under those robes . . .

Jargo
04-08-2003, 02:26 PM
I dunno Mark, a sticky bun perhaps.....? :shrug: ;)

gambitguru
04-07-2004, 02:06 PM
i never thought of seing star wars animated figs