PDA

View Full Version : Why does Hasbro make soooo many of the same character?

Megs 2
11-07-2002, 01:26 PM
Why does Hasbro make soooooooooooo many figures of the same character? I will narrow it down; Jango Fett. I lost count on this guy. I'm not complaining but geesh. Fortunately for me (I think) I just collect the villians. Yep i have all the Vaders, Jango's, variations. And I am not going near the Luke Skywalker variant figures. Thanks for reading.

Slacker Jedi
11-07-2002, 01:32 PM
I hate it when they do that too. I'm sick of all the different Jangos.

I would have loved if they'd already produced figures of characters like Bail Organa, Aayla Secura, Wat Tambor, Corde, Owen, Beru & Cliegg, and different Padmes with all the pretty costumes...
I would also *love* a Swoop Bike with Anakin...

JEDIpartner
11-07-2002, 01:46 PM
I like some of the differnt versions, but I would be a much happier collector if they spaced them out a little better. I, too, would like to see some of the other characters in place of the multitude of Jangos, Anakins and Mauls!

QLD
11-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Yeah, life would be much better if they started making some EU figures, instead of all these Jangos. :)

Death Star Gimp
11-07-2002, 02:11 PM
It would be great if Hasbro concentrated on different chracters for a while to please the collectors. However, I suspect when we get the next round of figure announcements, post April 2003, there will be the obligatory Luke, Han, Chewie, Jango, Vader, Obi-Wan etc. I wouldn't mind if the main character figures were significantly different to hold my interest for instance lets have luke with a poncho, luke in his jump suit with attachable pilot stuff, I don't think we need another Han or Chewie do we? lets have a decent Bespin Leia.

POTJ and the Saga releases have on the whole been excellent figures, but i am growing a little tired of the same figures just in different poses with different card titles, I think they are ripping us off!

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 02:11 PM
I would like to see a little less of the same figure made athough some figures do need to be redone. Different version of the same figure is cool but should be spaced out when releasing them.

EU figures! yeah! that i am all for! more!

Beast
11-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Jango suffered a bit from the Maul syndrome, but I think that we don't have to worry as much about that next year. The announcements so far have been pretty good. Much needed re-sculpts, along with new charecters that are on many people's wish lists.

As for why Hasbro makes so many of the main charecters. Well, there are new people coming into the hobby all the time. So they need a chance to be able to grab a Luke, Han, Vader, Leia, etc. So Hasbro always has to try to get a new version out on the shelves.

Plus they are trying to fix some of the big abominations from the early POTF2 days. We have a new Hoth Han Solo on the lists for next year. That should make alot of people happy. Plus a more to scale Hoth Chewbacca is on the way as well. Plus we have the often requested Luke: Jedi on the way for next year.

It's hard with charecters that never change costumes. Chewbacca and Vader can really cause some difficulty coming up with new versions. Thankfully they can always fix an old mistake with a new figure. Like in the case of the rumored new version of Vader w/ Removable Helmet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
11-07-2002, 02:23 PM
. . . And so few of Padme?

Hello! She IS the ONLY person who ever changes her clothes!
What's the deal, Hasbro? Get a clue!

And then when they do make it, it's some drab dull outfit like Padme Pilot. Seriously, I don't get it. It's such a no brainer.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by SNAYSON
I would like to see a little less of the same figure made athough some figures do need to be redone.

I'd like to see redo's of

Luke Jedi
Luke Poncho
Luke Hoth
Luke Dagobah
Garindan (long snoot)
Lando Skiff Guard
Bib Fortuna
WeeQuay
Lobot for sure
Hoth Rebel soldier
Hoth Stormtrooper
AT-AT Driver
AT-AT Commander

as these are all old POTF and still kinda have that steroidal look to them! :frus:

I would also like to see new characters that have not yet been made or were made only in the vintage line

I really want to see a cloudcar pilot darn it!

Rogue II
11-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Good list, DNA. I don't think the POTF2 Garindan is all that bad. Well, put it this way, I'd rather see a new figure from the Cantina or Jabba's court instead.

Lando Skiff guard wasn't all that bad, I put him in a group with Dengar. They are decent figures, but the figures have so much more detail, it makes Lando and Dengar look bad in comparison.

I don't mind resculpts if they are improvements over the previous release. I also don't mind Hasbro making scene specific main characters.

Beast
11-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Lando: Skiff Guard isn't bad. Now Lando: General, that figure sucks on toast. His chest is so huge, that he looks like He-Man for cripes sake. And he came out long after the end of the musclebound figures. I have no clue what Hasbro was thinking with him. :stupid: :p

Lobot is definatly an abomination. He looks like he's disco dancing. Worst action posed figure ever. Atleast with the Saga line, the action posing makes sense. When did Lobot ever do anything action orientated. They should redo him, and pack in his little borg-like recharge station. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SNAYSON
11-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

I'd like to see redo's of

Luke Jedi
Luke Poncho
Luke Hoth
Luke Dagobah
Garindan (long snoot)
Lando Skiff Guard
Bib Fortuna
WeeQuay
Lobot for sure
Hoth Rebel soldier
Hoth Stormtrooper
AT-AT Driver
AT-AT Commander

as these are all old POTF and still kinda have that steroidal look to them! :frus:

I would also like to see new characters that have not yet been made or were made only in the vintage line

I really want to see a cloudcar pilot darn it!

that is a good list. all are good candidates for a redo but add in dengar too!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II

I don't mind resculpts if they are improvements over the previous release. I also don't mind Hasbro making scene specific main characters.

That's the only reason I would like to see redo's is because of the exceptional amount of detail and likeness Hasbro has been doing since POTJ line. I agree that Dengar and Skiff Lando aren't bad but seeing what hasbro has been doing, I think they could do better. However, like you mentioned it's always too cool to get new figs that haven't been made! :)

Originally posted by Jar Jar Binks

Lando: Skiff Guard isn't bad. Now Lando: General, that figure sucks on toast. His chest is so huge, that he looks like He-Man for cripes sake.

again I totally agree, but skiff lando could be better :) And I forgot about lando general ppffffftt! I don't know what they were thinking about with those "action" sculpts on him and lobot???? :crazed: :)

Megs 2
11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
I can't believe I forgot the D. Maul issue. I like to see some new re-issues as well. It's weird that Hasbro made a card of the AT-AT driver but not Gen. Veers? Hmmm, go figure!

Beast
11-07-2002, 03:13 PM
I think Hasbro's still a bit wary to start doing alot of obscure Rebel and Imperial charecters. I think they are still in the mentality that only alien secondary charecters sell well. 1 or 2 second tier Rebels and Imperials a year would be a nice start. I'm sure they realize by now, that they can stick just about anything on a card and us rabid fans will eat it up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
11-07-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'm sure they realize by now, that they can stick just about anything on a card and us rabid fans will eat it up. :)

"Ain't" that the truth! And ya think they'da figured that one out LONG ago! :D

I'm just so glad that Kenner/Hasbro decided in 1995 to start redoing star wars figures and that they mostly listened to us collectors to mostly get rid of that "steroid" look!:)

I mean, where would we all be if they hadn't decided to start the line again??? EEEEsshhh, that's a scary, scary thought!

Beast
11-07-2002, 03:37 PM
Yeah, that would truely be a scary world. What would people like JT and Thrawn have to complain about then. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-07-2002, 04:54 PM
I'd like to see a new Skiff Lando eventually, with a mask that can raise up/down to show his face and be removable. Also to hold the thing with both hands.

QLD
11-07-2002, 06:36 PM
The more Landos the better. There should be a new Lando in every case!

Chiesa
11-07-2002, 06:46 PM
More Padme!!! She looks sooooo hot in everything!! :D

tagmac
11-07-2002, 06:56 PM
If they would just get the initial releases of the figures correct in the first place, they wouldn't need so many re-do's (i.e. the entire 1995 line, Geo Battle Padme, Anakin, etc,). Jango, Vader, and Chewie aren't as big a deal, since each variant has a scene-specific reason behind it. However, in the case of Mace Windu and the upcoming Yoda, they were completely unneccesary.

steve3p0
11-08-2002, 07:10 AM
they have to keep the main characters out and available...
these main characters are the introduction and the best sellers for kids and for those just beginning to collect.

i like the idea of resculpting rather than just repackaging or reissuing the same one over and over again.

Old Fossil
11-08-2002, 08:19 AM
The list for next year covers pretty much everything that's needed. I can't wait for the Jedi Luke and Hoth Han.

Lobot is a background character if ever there was one; I doubt we'll ever see a resculpt of him, and I don't mind the version we have. Neither is the Lando General figure what I would call an 'abomination.' I rather liked him when he was released, though it's a bit of a boring figure compared to some others.

Neither do we need a resculpted AT-AT driver. That was one of the best figs of the entire POTF2 line (see the thread in the POTF2 section).

Banthaholic
11-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
The more Landos the better. There should be a new Lando in every case!

There should definitely be more Landos's. Just think you have the man responsible for blowing up the second death-star and they make 4 total figures.
Just think we've already got 5 Jango Fett's and what has he done?
1. Failed to follow through on Amida'a assacination attempt
2. Failed to defeat Obi Wan on Kamino
3. Got his shipped tracked
4. Got tricked that he blew Obi Wan on Kamino
5. Got but kicked by Reek
6. Got head chopped off from Mace.

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-08-2002, 08:26 AM
I'd like more R2s. You can never have enough of a figure with only two poses, both of which are achievable with the same figure. ;)

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Oh and the Lando General IS an abomination.

Rogue II
11-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Banthaholic

There should definitely be more Landos's. Just think you have the man responsible for blowing up the second death-star and they make 4 total figures.
Just think we've already got 5 Jango Fett's and what has he done?
1. Failed to follow through on Amida'a assacination attempt
2. Failed to defeat Obi Wan on Kamino
3. Got his shipped tracked
4. Got tricked that he blew Obi Wan on Kamino
5. Got but kicked by Reek
6. Got head chopped off from Mace.

7. His clone son ended up being killed when he was accidentally knocked into the Sarlaac by a blind man.

QLD
11-08-2002, 09:53 AM
I like the way you think banthaholic! :)

Jargo
11-09-2002, 05:27 PM
General Lando calrissian should definately be redone to fix his 'I've got rickets' stance. We should also get a Lando in his borrowed Han Solo outfit from the end of ESB. A new Tatooine skiff guard Lando with articulation so he can hang properly from the skiff and he should have a Sarlaacc tentacle accessory. Not wishing to drag the race issue into this but there are few enough ethnic groups represented in star wars toys despite there being so many ethnic groups represented in the movies. There's always room for a new Lando if it means he takes the place of another damn Luke Skywhinger or Han Slo-mo. I will accept that a new Han Hoth is possibly the exeption given that the POTF version was so dire but other than that I really can't see the need for any more ANH outfit han's. And the only exeption to that would be if they made a Han Slo-mo and Chewbacca that would actually fit properly into the Millenium falcon without looking like they were trying to smash the viewport glass or belt each other across the mush. That would require Chewbacca having serious articulation to get him hunched up enough to fit and Han would have to forego his gunflinger poses to squeeze in there. And the same goes for Lando in Han Slo-mo outfit. It's pretty pointless to keep regurgitating the characters if they don't actually serve any purpose. I'd rather get a vehicle specific figure made to fit into a ship or speeder the right way than get a scene specific figure. I can create my own scenes thanks but i just need figures that will work with the rest of the toys first. I don't want to have to bend and warp a figure trying to jam it into a space it isn't designed to go into. I don't think there's one Han Slo-mo that'll fit the falcon cockpit comfortably and certainly no Lando. Time to get trhat sorted i think. :)

InsaneJediGirl
11-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
. . . And so few of Padme?

Hello! She IS the ONLY person who ever changes her clothes!
What's the deal, Hasbro? Get a clue!

And then when they do make it, it's some drab dull outfit like Padme Pilot. Seriously, I don't get it. It's such a no brainer.

I agree mar2d2.So far we have two,where are the rest of them?Hmmm?Lake Padme,Picnic Padme,Blue Tatooine Padme,By The Fireside Padme,Padme in her Nightclothes( :rolleyes: )..I could be here forever because she changes clothes so often.Also..where are the Handmaidens?They had more screentime than most backround characters:D

Jargo
11-09-2002, 06:57 PM
But star wars is for boys. Everybody knows that. Boys don't collect figures of girls. If it doesn't have a gun boys won't want it. :rolleyes:

Maybe this rumored Lars homestead screen scene will yield a Padme figure. But if it does it'll either the blue outfit, the white belly top outfit or the incredibly dull cloak outfit, or horror of horrors, the Geonosis outfit again. Wouldn't that be a killer if hasbro did that :D Oh the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that would ensue.....

I'm hoping it's the white belly top outfit. If they include a Padme in the sets that is.

Lord Tenebrous
11-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Awww...you know boys are dying for a Padme (Vampire). :p

With neck-biting action! (undead Senator sold separately)