PDA

View Full Version : Can you blame Lee for it?

James Boba Fettfield
11-07-2002, 05:02 PM
It's a news story about what Lee may do.

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/021107/1217000916_1.html

I certainly wouldn't blame Lee for doing it. After he didn't get money for the Spider-Man movie, you can't blame him for doing this.

Rogue II
11-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Stan Lee only gets $1 Million a year? Sure, that's a lot of money, but I figured he would be worth more.

QLD
11-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Yeah, he must have really screwed himself over in a contract somewhere!

Lord Tenebrous
11-07-2002, 05:28 PM
If I recall from his televisions interview a few weeks ago, Lee didn't earn money off the Spider-Man movie because he doesn't own the character. And I think that will hold up here, too.

It's like Doug Chiang demanding a percentage of profits off the movie and toys he created the designs for. When you buy that battle droid figure, the money goes back to Lucasfilm, who owns Chiang's designs.

darthvyn
11-07-2002, 06:28 PM
i do support the struggle for creator's rights by most of the comic artists of the past, but out of all of them, stan lee has gotten the best deal over the years. steve ditko, jack kirby, john romita, none of them get a mil a year... i don't think this case holds water...

Jedi Master Silas
11-07-2002, 06:53 PM
I'd have to see what the contract said.....

scruffziller
11-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Good for him.

El Chuxter
11-08-2002, 01:13 PM
I think the only other guy in the biz who makes that much would be Todd McFarlane. And I doubt he makes much off the comics themselves.

$1 million is a lot of money, but c'mon. The guy CREATED Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, the Silver Surfer, etc, etc, etc, etc. And he wrote the only readable issues of Ravage 2099, too. The guy deserves more. If someone can get more than that to play a sport, a genius like Stan deserves at least the same.

Yes, others in the comics industry deserve a lot more than they get (or got). And maybe if ol' Stan wins this, it'll open the door for the others. The final conclusion of the war begun by the Image Seven will have come to pass.

I say excelsior, Stan! 'Nuff said!! :)

jjreason
11-08-2002, 07:20 PM
He should be the measuring stick by which comic creators' are paid. Noone, and Ill state that again NOONE has done more for that hobby than Stan Lee. The man is nearly singlehandedly responsible for the Marvel universe as we know it today - and that's worth a bit of money in my book. (Yes, Carl, I know Steve Ditko helped a lot too, and we can't for the King either - both of these men's estates deserve a bigger cut of the pie as well in my opinion).

Should be interesting, and Im sure there'll be a lot of interested viewers waiting for the result.

JediTricks
11-08-2002, 10:27 PM
The only reason why I'd be hesitant to see Lee get more is it'd probably jack up the already-inflated prices of the comics (either by raising cover prices or inserting more ad-space), and when Marvel books go up, the industry will probably go up with them to compete.

derek
11-09-2002, 09:04 PM
i've never really read comics, and knew the name "stan lee", but didn't know anything about him. i just watched the DVD with him and kevin smith. lee has to be one of the coolest and nicest "celebrities" i've ever seen interviewed. i think i may like the interview dvd more than the spiderman dvd. lee is just a pleasure to listen to.

as for what he deserves, it's really hard to say. if he signed a contract for a certain amount, then that's what he actually deserves, but then again, the guy seems so nice, he's the last person i would want to see "cheated" out of his dues, and if i was in charge, i'd personally give him what he wants, as his marvel characters are bringing in a lot of movie money.

how old is he by the way? late 70's? he's just full of energy. i hope i'm like that at 60.;)

edit:

i just checked IMDB. they have him listed as being born in 1922, which would make him 80. but they also say ewan mc gregor is 5'10". :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2002, 09:10 PM
He was born in 1923. He also had some service in WW2 (non combat I believe). That's all the bio information I remember on him from a high school project I did about two years ago.

darthvyn
11-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by derek

as for what he deserves, it's really hard to say. if he signed a contract for a certain amount, then that's what he actually deserves, but then again, the guy seems so nice, he's the last person i would want to see "cheated" out of his dues, and if i was in charge, i'd personally give him what he wants, as his marvel characters are bringing in a lot of movie money.

that's the thing... of all the comic creators of the era that he came from, he's being cheated the least! i can't really see a million a year as being cheated. but bill finger, the writer who co-created batman, died penniless.

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
He was born in 1923. He also had some service in WW2 (non combat I believe). That's all the bio information I remember on him from a high school project I did about two years ago.

actually, in the interview dvd, he touches upon his service. when they heard he was a writer, they pressed him into writing for the info/education films, like "remember, sailors, when you get into port, bring your profalactics!"

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2002, 10:42 PM
That's what I mean by non-combat. I just couldn't remember what his exact position was.

JangoFart
11-11-2002, 02:29 PM
I wonder what the duration of the million a year is. If he had a good lawyer, it would be for life. I bet that is the case.

However, I hate that of all the 10's of millions that were made off of that movie and it's merchandise, the creator gets jacked. But, if he signed his rights away, then he no longer has anything to hang his hat on with regard to that claim.

J

Wolfwood319
11-11-2002, 04:04 PM
The whole issue comes down to the financial assets of Marvel itself. When Stan Lee was the CEO of Marvel, the company was going down the toilets. Toybiz (a company that Marvel once owned) bought Marvel and cleaned house. Stan Lee make $1 Million a year, and really is nothing more than a spokesman now.

Hell, the most he's written in the last 2 years was all for DC. His claim does have some merit, but not much. He doesn't own any of his creations (except that Stan Lee Media online stuff he did a few years back.)

Stan Lee did a lot for the comics industry, no doubt about it. But so did a lot of other people who never came close to making $1 Million a year for doing nothing. And Stan's exploits as Marvel's CEO doesn't help matters. (For as much as Marvel did accomplish, they almost killed comics in the mid-90's when they practically declared bankruptcy.)

James Boba Fettfield
11-12-2002, 10:28 PM
It is no longer rumored, Stan Lee has filed suit.

Dow Jones Business News
Spider-Man Creator Stan Lee Sues Marvel Over Profits
Tuesday November 12, 2:15 pm ET
By Colleen DeBaise

Dow Jones Newswires
NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Stan Lee, the creator of Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk and other superheroes, filed a lawsuit claiming Marvel Enterprises Inc. (NYSE:MVL - News) has embarked on a "shameful scheme" to deprive him of profits from its top-grossing movies and television programs.

Mr. Lee, who has spent more than 60 years with Marvel and serves as the comic- book company's Chairman Emeritus, claims Marvel has "trampled upon" his rights - particularly a 1998 agreement that entitles him to share in the profits of productions that use his famously fierce characters.

Mr. Lee's suit, filed Tuesday in Manhattan federal court, seeks 10% of profits earned from Hollywood films including the "Spider-Man: The Movie," which this spring grossed $114 million in its opening weekend.

Mr. Lee, 79 years old, claims he has not made any money from the film.

A Marvel spokesman wasn't immediately available for comment on the suit.

The company disclosed last week in a regulatory filing that Mr. Lee had threatened litigation, calling his claim meritless and noting thatit pays him an annual salary of $1 million.

The suit describes Mr. Lee's rise at Marvel, from when he was hired in 1939 at the age of 17 as an office errand-boy, to his eventual appointment as publisher.

According to the suit, Marvel is refusing to honor its commitment to Mr. Lee now that it has "hit the jackpot" with Spider-Man, and expects similar successes with other films, including "Daredevil" starring Ben Affleck.

Mr. Lee also seeks a share of profits made from toys and other merchandise based on his characters.

In a prepared statement Tuesday, Marvel said it doesn't comment on pending litigation but noted that Mr. Lee continues to be "well-compensated" for his contributions to the company and the comic-book industry.

"Marvel believes it is in full compliance with, and current on all payments due under, the terms of Mr. Lee's employment agreement and will continue to be so in the future," the company said.