PDA

View Full Version : Custom AF Solar Sailer

sicqnus
11-08-2002, 01:57 PM
Well, it's a little difficult. I don't know where to begin but I've already ordered some furnitures from an online modelers shop. I will try to do my best to "upgrade" my AF Solar Sailer.
I made a few designs on Illustrator to try to have a clear idea of the overall look of this ship. Not really easy because there are not many pics or concept-arts available on the official site databank (or other sites).
I think I will print the sails details on some sheets of "solarfilm".
I will work on the cables with 0,5mm piano cords and a welding tool. I still do not know how to make the circular brace but I will certainly find a good idea in the near future...

A few Illustrator views. http://www.sicqnus.com/options/presentation2.jpg

To be continued.

another smiley :

(>---

neonblade
11-08-2002, 03:32 PM
so you're only making a new sail- not a new ship- I would love a new ship that had a ramp in the back and could hold a dooku

sicqnus
11-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Yes just a new sail. I want to keep the main body. It is not so bad. Maybe I will paint it with a different gold paint but I'm actually working on the sail.

another smiley (X-Wing) :

:--<>--:

JediTricks
11-09-2002, 12:00 AM
Funny, of all the things I'd toss on the AF Solar Sailer, the actual sail would be last. The main vessel is pretty featureless and sloppy, the central faux-mast is thick and ugly, and the connective cables are junky (though you are addressing that as well).

Still, what you have going looks real good; keep us in the loop on that project Sicqnus! :)

neonblade
11-09-2002, 10:17 AM
what we need is no make a new ss with whole new body with loading ramp and opening body even if the cocpit bubble can't open- who here knows anything about sculpy???

jeddah
11-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Nice presentation pic Sicqnus. Please keep us abreast of developments, I am very interested in your scratchbuilding ideas as a part time prop builder, meself :)

:cool:
jeddah

Lord Tenebrous
11-10-2002, 03:48 PM
I forget where this was scanned from, but it might help with some of the details.

sicqnus
11-11-2002, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the pic Lord Tenebrous.

sicqnus
11-30-2002, 03:42 AM
I thought so that "Neonblabde" said about the main body and I finally added some modifications.

I milled the back pout to add a spherical part to it (a ball out of glass resulting from a tank of a POSCA marker- Mitsubishi pencils). The ball have been painted in Gunmetal color.
I also added an element in the cockpit (which is hollow) to simulate the pilot.

I printed the veils on transparent films Epson. Another part of the veil, printed on another paper is stuck over. The cells of the veil remain translucent. I also added a light layer of glossed iridescent varnish (paintbomb with a special skinny cap). It does not remain me that to work on the metal wire reinforcement. The continuation soon.

The sail is maybe 3 or 4 times bigger than the AF one.

neonblade
11-30-2002, 12:05 PM
See I was thinking a WHOLE NEW BODY- Custom made from scratch, but yours looks great

good shot jansen
11-30-2002, 12:19 PM
very nice indeed.

i've been looking at mason's sailer as well, trying to figure out how i can turn it into a really nice action fleet vehicle.

unfortunately i feel that i would need to start from scratch. the whole dayum body is way too small and under detailed.

you on the other hand sicqnus, have siezed the opportunity to show your truely creative side. i applaud your teriffic work.

hasbro really blew it, if the present piece o' smallness is the best they can do, it really should have been released as a die cast instead of as an action fleet.

hasbro just doesn't get what action fleet means. they figure they can just release any old thing that's smaller than the 3-3/4" line and call it action fleet. they never bothered looking at the entire micro machines line, to see why action fleet differed from all the other mm lines.

galoob saw a great opportunity and siezed it with both hands. producing all those different sized and differently detailed ships under several different toy banners, yet all were a part of the micro machines line.

the best toy line ever!

JediTricks
12-01-2002, 04:55 PM
Very nice update to the existing body, it already has much more life even without the sails.