stillakid
11-09-2002, 02:27 PM
...and contrast.

stillakid
11-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Hmm, there is another...

Nexu
11-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Heh, I'm sure the Kaminoans were modeled on the "genaric" aliens. ;)

kadamontaga
11-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Don't suppose you've got a snap of the ones from 'Signs' as well?

Beast
11-09-2002, 03:14 PM
You may want to dig a picture up of the other Alien Grey from Close Encounters. The ones with the spindly arms and legs, since that looks more like the Kamino aliens then the short Alein Grey. But yeah, the Kamino aliens are just based on the typical Alien Greys that have been reported for years by people that claim to have been abducted by UFO's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
11-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Here's the spindly armed and legged Grey from CE3K. That's the ones that look most like the Kamino aliens. The little kid ones from the same movie just don't look as right. Though UFO abduction reports have stated that people do see both types. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

chewie
11-09-2002, 03:47 PM
I haven't seen AI, so seeing the image of what the Kaminoans were based off of is a bit more different than I thought they would look like. Transluscent bodies with larger heads for the AI creatures wouldn't have tipped me off that the Kaminoans were a refit of that particular 3D model.

Lord Tenebrous
11-09-2002, 05:03 PM
It's been known for some time that the CG model for the Kaminoans is an alteration of the 'supermech' model from A.I., just as the Aiwha model is a rearrangement of the pteranodon model from the Jurassic Park films.

Not that it's anything new. The SE introduction of the Ronto was an alteration of the Brachiosaur model.

JEDIpartner
11-10-2002, 01:33 PM
"The Kamino design was a very deliberate nod to the classic alien of Close Encounters," Lucas admitted. "Steven had done a lot of research on that film and really drew from descriptions by people who had supposedly seen them. We wanted to do homage to Steven, but even more to that alien everyone described. It was like: 'Oh, this is where those aliens come from! They come from Kamino!"

Beast
11-10-2002, 02:20 PM
*makes a note to pick up Mythmaking*

Sounds like a cool book, JEDIpartnr. I will have to grab a copy the next time I hit a book store. Frankly, I don't think they based them at all on the advanced mechas from A.I. They may have the long spindly arms and legs, but the body is very different as is the head. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Definitely pick up the book. It's full of great pics and stuff that you can use to diffuse arguements! ;)

Beast
11-11-2002, 05:23 PM
I can use it to diffuse arguments? Does that mean it's big and heavy and you can knock people out that don't agree with you? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Actually... if they had made it as a hardback, yes!