PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies.... will you pay/play?

BenQuad
11-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Well to answer my own question.... yes to both . :evil:

The real question is on what platform?

I am struggling to choose between the familiarity of my trusty pc or the dynamic hype of my newly acquired xbox.

Your thoughts on this please. :crazed:

Beast
11-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Yes to both. I've been waiting for the game ever since it was announced. Hopefully it meets my expectations, Asheron's Call is getting a little old after 3 years of playing. I already have charecter ideas for my Bothan and Trandoshan. :)

I would go with the PC version, since they already said that the PC and Xbox versions were going to be different. Plus the PC does give you more options. And with monthly game updates, I don't know how the Xbox will handle the game. Unless they really dumb it down for the Xbox. :)

BenQuad
11-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Then that's settled, PC it is..... my xbox will just have to wait for Halo2. :)

JJB don't you think information is a little sketchy? (well at least from uk sources anyway), considering the game is technically only months away from release.

Beast
11-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Not really, there is alot of information out there about the game. Have you checked the official website? They have alot of info on the game. As for it being out in a few months, I don't see that. It's still in very very early beta stages. :)

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BenQuad
11-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Thanx for the link JJB.

Still hoping for a March 2003 (or was that 2004) release. :)

JON9000
11-13-2002, 05:28 PM
I think a $59.99 list price is a little steep for the game. I also worry that I simply will not have time to play as much as I would like. But who knows. I've read so much about the game I guess I have to give it a try!

BenQuad
11-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey, I'll always make time to play this (if it's any good of course). :)

My concern was with the subscription side of it, which adds to the 'cost of ownership'. $60 (or whatever it works out to in good old GBP) is fine and I do appreciate the costs involved in running the game, but over maybe a couple of years this game could cost the individual a small fortune.

Sadly I will probably still pay it..... (Time to sell the kids) :)

Beast
11-13-2002, 05:59 PM
The subscription is necissary. It pays for the servers the game is hosted on, the support team, the monthly updates, etc. Trust me, while it does seem like a high price to pay. It's more then worth what it costs you. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BenQuad
11-13-2002, 06:07 PM
That I really don't doubt.... but there are a lot of peolpe out there who simply cannot afford the subscription. It's a great shame, but I do understand the necessity.
On the other hand, if you played that all the time then you'd save a fortune on all the other games you might have bought... well I feel a whole lot better now. :)

Beast
11-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Yep, that's what I did. When I started playing Asheron's Call 3 years ago, I quit buying other games. And with the prices of games now adays, you actually end up saving money in the end. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
11-13-2002, 07:40 PM
Well, the game's going to be $60, with a monthly fee of $20? Do you think there will be any discounts when you pay months in advance, like DAOC. (If I recall, if you paid for 6 months, you got $30 off, or something.)

I've been wanting a good MMORPG for sometime. I've been disappointed with every one that has come out since UO. The fact that its Star Wars is the extra icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, I moved recently and they don't have DSL or Cable Modems in my area yet. Hopefully, they'll be available before the game comes out.

So, yes, I'll play and pay. I just hope I don't get addicted, and start missing out on work, family, school, etc... ;)

Beast
11-13-2002, 07:45 PM
No one ever said $20 a month. I believe the most right now that MMORPG's run are 12.95. So it could be 14.95, but I highly doubt that they are going to go higher then that. Especially for Star Wars.

As for DAoC, I think the only reason they are running pre-pay deals where you save money, is cause the game needs more players. It seriously disapointed me, when I tried it out. :)

Wolfwood, they are making the game with dial-up in mind, so even if you can't get DSL or Cable, you should still be able to play fine. I still play AC on a Dial-Up and have no trouble. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
11-15-2002, 02:16 PM
I'm looking forward to it, but will most likely play Xbox. My PC would probably have a hard time with it, but the Xbox version might have more safeguards from hackers. I haven't played any real MMORPG's, but I hear hacking is a problem. I do, however, play Diablo 2, and hacking ruined that game. Maybe the Xbox will help sove that probem, until someone learns to hack it too.

=MATT=

Beast
11-15-2002, 02:26 PM
You mean hacking the game, as to cheat? That's very hard to do with a MMORPG, because your charecter and the information doesn't live on your computer. It lives on the server, and you just access it. If you mean hacking to steal accounts, it doesn't happen all that often, and typically it ends up being the fault of the person that gets hacked. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
11-15-2002, 02:30 PM
So does the info for Diablo 2, but packet sends and sniffs make you easy prey for hackers to rob or PK you. Plus they find a way to dupe their Uber Items. It's done all the time, and I bet even Xbox will have problems soon enough.

=MATT=

BenQuad
11-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah.... always some idiot wants to spoil it all. :(

Wolfwood319
11-16-2002, 01:52 AM
I remember I stopped playing D2:LOD because of the hackers (and the crappy service by Blizzard, but mostly hackers.) I really don't think its all that much of a problem on MMORPGs, especially one so meticulously made as Galaxies.

Beast
11-16-2002, 02:01 AM
Yeah, the hacker problem isn't very huge on MMORPG's. You just have to use your brain and not give out your password or information to other people. 9 times out of 10, account stealing is from stupidity on the owner, not due to hackers.

As for stuff like duping, thats is almost impossible in MMORPG's now. There was a rash of it on Asheron's Call in the early days, but they figured it out how they were doing it. So they banned the dupers and deleted the duped items. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
11-16-2002, 12:09 PM
I am looking forward to playing. I have only played a few MMORPG, but I did enjoy them a lot.

evenflow
11-18-2002, 08:49 AM
I think it sounds awesome and want to buy am willing to buy a new PC just for it. If it is about 10.00 a month i will be playing.

Rogue II
11-18-2002, 09:19 AM
So let me get this straight. First, I spend $60 to buy the game. Then, I can't play the game unless I fork out another $10-$20 per month? I don't care how cool it is, I am not spending my money on that.

mrmiller
11-19-2002, 10:39 AM
I think all MMORPG's should be free programs. Or at least if you buy the game for say $20, give you the first month free and then charge $10 a month. With broadband becoming more available, maybe you could sign up for the game and download it for free and just pay your subscription cost.

=MATT=

Beast
11-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Sorry guys, but it doesn't work that way. When you buy the game, your paying for it's development and production. But the monthly fee pays for the servers, the people that maintain said servers, the staff that oversees the game, the crews that develop monthly updates, etc. etc. etc. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BenQuad
11-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Got to agree with you there JJ, I don't mind paying....... but only as long as the quality of service (and reliability) are there.
The theory is: more players = more $ = better for everyone.

..............oh if only this was a perfect world. :)

Jedi_Bates
11-20-2002, 10:27 PM
For me it depends on a number of things:

1.) If the whole Nintendo Gamecube "Celda" thing is a huge joke and they just made it up to create more hype (which i am beginning to suspect because there is no way that some cell shaded game should take over a year to create) then i'll buy zelda, because i'd much rather play that and not have to pay even though I usually go with starwars games, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is one of my all time favorite games.

2.) If i get a PC for my B-Day (which is this saturday :D November 23rd)
then I will get it because right now i am on an older version of an iMac (which i hate) and the new Macintoshes are way cool but i cannot afford one.

3.) If my parrents "dig" the whole monthly payment thing.

Looks like i probably wont get it if any of these things happens
Time to go type my B-Day list!!!

Be back on later guys!!:cool:

mrmiller
11-21-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Sorry guys, but it doesn't work that way. When you buy the game, your paying for it's development and production. But the monthly fee pays for the servers, the people that maintain said servers, the staff that oversees the game, the crews that develop monthly updates, etc. etc. etc. :)

But you forget the mosty important part of both- The Profit. They make profit when they sell a game, and continue to make profit off of the monthly service. I know you don't think that 100% of the monthly fee goes into the server maintanance and stuff. The whole idea of a MMORPG is a steady base of profit. That's why I see the initial cost of a MMORPG should be lower than other games (actualy I believe Everquest was) to basically cover the expenses of the game development. Then you will get more people to buy it, and possibly get more people to sign up for a long term service. Then you can really generate a profit.

=MATT=

Sentinel18725
12-01-2002, 10:35 AM
I was under the impression that it was going to be a fall 02 release. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. Now, I'm seeing a Feb or March 03 release date......any confirmations? I will be buying this. The only concern is that it's really going to upset my studying routine. Oh well, work hard, play hard.

Nexu
12-01-2002, 02:41 PM
$60, and then a $10 (at least) monthly fee? pfft. I don't think so.
I'm sure it's going to be awesome.
one thing is, you can update games on an XBOX, so that may come into play later.
Hacking-wise, it's just as easy to hack an XBOX account as it is to hack a PC account, I'm sure I could do both.

Gungan Warrior
01-23-2003, 11:47 PM
How many of you fans will get this game? :crazed:

Bobajames
01-24-2003, 01:22 AM
wait.... thats not what everyone was just answering these last two pages?

Gungan Warrior
01-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for doing the CALCULATIONS for me BobaJames!

Bobajames
01-24-2003, 12:01 PM
:confused: calculations? :confused:
I am SOOOO looking forward to this game, but i am afraid that my Kroger cashier salary while being in school is just not gonna cover the price with all the other stuff i pay for right now... maybe i will find a way :)

Gungan Warrior
01-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Why don't u wait for a bersion for ps2 or the xbox

Bobajames
01-24-2003, 02:04 PM
we will still have to pay for the xbox/ps2 version (don't know if there is one for ps2) right?

JangoFart
01-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Well, I've been "beta testing" Galaxies for a month now. During that month, the servers have been so unstable that I've MAYBE played it for an hour and a half. MAYBE!

Ready for a launch by April? When monkeys fly outta my butt.... (Not saying it won't be launched in April; it just won't be ready to be launched by April.)

I've developed some contempt for this game, if you can't tell. I'd LOVE to be able to put it through it's paces. But, whenever they LET you log in, they turn off EVERYTHING just to see how many people they can get on the server. In other words, no shooting, no bartering. You can walk around and type messages to other goons who are walking around and typing messages.

I'm ALMOST ready to wash my hands of this cuss.....

J

Gungan Warrior
01-24-2003, 04:15 PM
There will be a version for both, BobaJames.

Beast
01-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Yeah, and they'll be watered down versions of the PC version. They already said that the PC version and any console version will be different. Due to how the systems work. So the PC version will be the full blown version, and then the video game verson will be a cheap copy. Hell, I doubt they will even be able to do monthly patches on the video game version. :)

JangoFart, it's beta. Asheron's Call beta was the same way at the start. The game still launched on time and ran perfectly. Beta is a time to stress the servers and give everything a shakedown. Not being able to get on during a beta is commen. So don't worry, by the time the actual game comes out, it should be fine. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
So the PC version will be the full blown version, and then the video game verson will be a cheap copy. Hell, I doubt they will even be able to do monthly patches on the video game version. :)

Technically speaking JarJar, PC and console games are both considered video game versions of a game. ;)

Beast
01-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Not really, unless your arguing semantics. Computer programs/games are classed as software. Console games are classed as video games. Yeah, I'm picky. But a video game typically means played on a TV. Plus that's how games are classed in stores. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
01-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Not really, unless your arguing semantics.

Yes I am. :D

JangoFart
01-29-2003, 01:52 PM
JJB:

I know it's beta and I know the purposes of beta testing, as I've been doing it on various software for about 4 years now. But, as you mentioned ONE of the purposes of beta is to stress the servers. What I said is that the server, not plural, has been down almost every day for the past month. The days that it is up, it is up for about an hour. Kinda hard to stress-test something that's not up to be stressed.

Last weekend, however, I was actually able to get in about an hour straight of test time. (For giggles, I hit the server at 3 am Sat. morning and it was up.)

I liked the interface, although it's cumbersome for some activities. I got to kill a few folks and steal their stuff :) Server hasn't been up since.

J

Adam
02-12-2003, 05:41 PM
The Earth and Beyond beta was like that as well... too bad the game sucks.

Tonysmo
03-04-2003, 02:54 AM
I can give you guys a slight update on how huge this thing will be when it hits. As an employeee of a rather large telecom corp who has SONY has one of its customers, we are not to do any maintenance on the nights before and the nights of the release. I do believe they are pretty worried that there will be a HUGE overload of the servers and all of the network traffic.

As for the monthly fee, while I undertand the need to charge a fee, I think because of the name ( which automatically makes it successful IMO ) they should figure out how to make it more feasable on the players. maybe a 60 fee for a year subscription or something.. I dunno 10 bucks a month seems pretty steep. I would think with the amount of success this game will/should have these guys are going to be in a back room somewhere swimming in cash. Not to say they shouldnt make money off a great product.. just seems too much if you add it all together..

will I buy into it.. um.. yeah...

JangoFart
03-15-2003, 01:23 AM
Just so you folks know, beta testing has come a LONG way on this game. It's actually, slowly, becoming an enjoyable game!

I still think they released it to beta testers in EARLY alpha stage. It was truly below the standards of even testing until the last few weeks. The servers are now up more frequently and the game content is starting to come together nicely.

If things progress as they have been recently, you folks are in for a treat :)

J

QLD
03-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Well, on the front page, it says we are yet again delayed. I figured it would be, based on what JangoFart said, because they haven't even tested the full game yet, and it sounds like they have major things to add.

Looks like it will be closer to Christmas for release, IMO.

JangoFart
03-16-2003, 01:31 AM
I think that Christmas would put this thing right on schedule, QLD. There's only 2 planets that are currently available and only a couple of cities in them up and running. The play balance is coming along TONS better than it was last build. (It's actually back to where it was before last build, which is a good thing.)

J

BenQuad
03-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Can't believe this thread is still here.... I posted the original topic last year... Superb. :)

QLD
05-26-2003, 03:50 AM
Well, there is some news about the console versions of the game.......and it ain't good.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/starwarsgalaxies/news_6028822.html

Star Wars Galaxies console versions on hold

News

LucasArts confirms that the previously announced console versions of the Star Wars online RPG are currently on hold, as all development efforts are focused on the PC launch.

At E3 2002, LucasArts announced that it planned to release Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, its highly anticipated online RPG set in the Star Wars universe, for the Xbox and PlayStation 2. However, mention of these versions was recently removed from the publisher's Web page on the game, and LucasArts has confirmed for us that these versions are currently on hold. In a brief statement, LucasArts said, "We are currently focusing all of our efforts on the successful launch of the PC version of Star Wars Galaxies."

The PC version of Star Wars Galaxies is currently in beta testing. LucasArts has not yet announced an official release date. For more details, check out our previous coverage of the game.

By Sam Parker, GameSpot [POSTED: 05/22/03 04:05 PM]

Beast
05-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Lando In My Pants
The PC version of Star Wars Galaxies is currently in beta testing. LucasArts has not yet announced an official release date. For more details, check out our previous coverage of the game.
According to Gamestop and Amazon, and the other online places where you can order the game, the release date is set for 6/25/2003. So next month, unless it gets pushed back again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
05-26-2003, 11:19 AM
I'd be willing to bet it won't be out in June. In fact, if it comes out before November, I'll be completely shocked.

Beast
05-26-2003, 11:27 AM
I'd be willing to bet it won't be out in June. In fact, if it comes out before November, I'll be completely shocked.
I'm starting to think it's gonna get knocked back again also, but they could get it out on time. Depends on how the Beta is going, last I heard it's going fine. By the way, for those that plan to play here's the system requirements. :)

The following are the official required and recommended specifications for your computer to run Star Wars Galaxies:
Computer
100% DirectX 9.0 compatible computer

Operating Systems
Windows 98 SE, Millennium, 2000, and XP

CPU
Required: Intel PIII 933 MHz or AMD Athlon 900 MHz
Recommended: Intel P4 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+

Memory
Required: 256 MB RAM
Recommended: 512 MB RAM

Graphics Card
Required: 32 MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability
Recommended: 64 MB 3D Graphics card with Vertex Shader and Pixel Shader (VS/PS) Capability

Monitor
1024x768 capable monitor required

Sound Card
Required: PCI, USB or Onboard Audio Device

CD-ROM
Required: Quad Speed CD-ROM drive

Input Device
Required: Keyboard and mouse

Connectivity Requirements
Required: 56K modem or faster Internet connection

DirectX
Microsoft DirectX 9.0 is included on this CD. NOTE: DirectX may require the "latest" updates for your operating system. This may also include the latest drivers for your particular motherboard, sound and video hardware.

Installation
Installation requires 2.0 GB of free hard drive space. It is recommended that you have at least an additional 500 MB of free space available after installing the game for the Windows swap/page file and additional patch downloads.

Supported Chipsets at the time of release:
ATI Radeon 7200/7500
ATI Radeon 8500/9000
ATI Radeon 9500/9700
Matrox Parhelia
NVIDIA GeForce 256
NVIDIA GeForce 2 family
NVIDIA GeForce 3 family
NVIDIA GeForce 4 family
NVIDIA GeForceFX family

Additional Chipsets supported.

Last Updated: May 9th, 2003

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
It's official. They announced that Galaxies is released on 6/26/03!!!

I'll be pre-ordering it now.

Beast
06-17-2003, 06:28 PM
It's official. They announced that Galaxies is released on 6/26/03!!!

I'll be pre-ordering it now.
Cool LIMP. We should start a SSG Team and plan ahead for which server to play on. I'll probably go with a Bothan or Trandoshan of some sort. Going to get the Collector's Edition or the Regular Edition? I'm going with Collector's myself, so I can wear those snazzy goggles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Yes, perhaps we should start an official thread for the Official SSG Galaxies Clan.

We need a clan name, and hopefully we can figure out the name of the servers so we can all coordinate to be on that server.

Maybe ol' Stevie will even make an announcement on the front page, to help us get lots of members!