PDA

View Full Version : 8 mile, eminem's new film, 50 million weekend???

derek
11-09-2002, 08:57 PM
looks like eminem's new film is on pace to make at least 50 million this weekend. first rush hour 2 then jackass and now this? what's it all coming to? this movie looks like it should make 50 million total, including video, pay-per-view, cable and tv.:rolleyes:

i can't wait for the eminem/vin diesel buddy film!!!
:crazed: ;)

Rogue II
11-09-2002, 10:36 PM
I'm not suprised at all that this film will be the biggest film of the weekend. Wasn't Santa Clause 2 the big film last weekend, and you mentioned the #1 movies for the weeks prior to that.

Tally up one more film I will most likely never see.

QLD
11-10-2002, 12:49 AM
I kind of liked Rush Hour 2. :)

I might end up seeing this. I am not a fan of Eminem, but a lot of critics are giving it a lot of praise, so I may check it out.

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2002, 12:55 AM
It's a movie about never giving up, even after you fail big time. To overcome any obstacle and such. I don't think it is so much of a movie about what Eminem sings about usually.

Exhaust Port
11-10-2002, 01:21 AM
Pop culture sells.

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2002, 02:12 AM
That didn't save Glitter. I giggle thinking about it.

QLD
11-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Or Crossroad!

Eternal Padawan
11-10-2002, 11:54 AM
I went and saw this because I'm a big Curtis Hanson fan (L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys). I wasn't expecting anything and came out pretty pleased with it.
It had it's faults. "Rabbit" comes off sullen and scowly throughout the entire film (Actors have range, Marshall. Lets see some smiling.) and the subplot with the ex-girlfriend seemed to have nothing to do with anything.
But Mathers did a good job with his performance and the supporting cast was EXCELLENT. And the finale was very cathartic. I think half the audience involuntarily cheered when he does Rabbit does his final rap.
Mathers has said this was his first and last acting gig, but I think he has potential and wouldn't mind seeing him stretch his range in something else.

If anything, go check it out to see a good Curtis Hanson flick. Unhesitant thumb up. :)

derek
11-10-2002, 12:12 PM
it's his last film until they shove a truckload of money his way. no one who makes a film that will top 100 million only makes one film. get ready for the second coming of cheesy elvis flicks. next up is eminem in "Jailhouse Rock 2, Electric Boogaloo":crazed:

Exhaust Port
11-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Acting: anyone can do it.

187-Maul
11-10-2002, 12:23 PM
I'd love to see that movie, although I have no idea when it'll be released here in france

derek
11-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Acting: anyone can do it

i don't know about just anyone, but i'm of the opinion that lighting, and camera work just about make the film, as far as non special effects films go. it seems to me that a good director and camera man can make or break the film and make just about anyone seem like an "actor". what say you eternal padawan???;)

2-1B
11-10-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm responsible for $5.25 of that take, as I watched it on Friday.
It was pretty fun! :)
I liked it, I thought Eminem was likeable (no matter how sullen :D ) and it had some funny moments.

Exhaust Port
11-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Anyone can do it but I agree that not everyone can pull it off successfully. Even with a bad actor though, as you said Derek, so many other persons involved can make up for the actors suckiness with their skills in lighting, makeup, camera work, etc.

QLD
11-10-2002, 05:27 PM
I'd much rather see an Eminem movie, than a Freddie Prinze Jr movie, that's for sure!

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2002, 06:19 PM
But he was in Wing Commander. Greatest. Video. Game. Movie. Ever. So was his buddy, who is in every movie that Prinze is in. Wait, that movie was really, really bad.

dr_evazan22
11-10-2002, 06:23 PM
I saw it Fri night also and liked it. I thought it had some great light moments (Sweet Home Alabama), tender love scenes (in the factory), and the final "Battle was great! I would liked to've seen more rapping.

I'll probably rent and/or buy when it comes out on DVD.

2-1B
11-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
But he was in Wing Commander. Greatest. Video. Game. Movie. Ever. So was his buddy, who is in every movie that Prinze is in. Wait, that movie was really, really bad.

Matthew Lillard ? :D

Originally posted by dr_evazan22
tender love scenes (in the factory),

You call that a love scene ? ? ? ? ? :confused: :D :D :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Yeah, the guy who played Shaggy and one of the killers in Scream. He was in 13 Ghosts. Momentary lapse of memory I had with the guys name.

scruffziller
11-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Well me the Em pusha on these forums, getting in here kinda late since I just seen it today. Excellent, Excellent. The theatre was jam packed, people of all colors, ages, and walks of life were there, it made happy to see that hip hop can be appreciated by all and the battles showed people (ones that really never knew what hip hop was about)the immense appeal of it. I don't care if you don't like rap, you'll at least like it in this movie.

Originally posted by derek
it's his last film until they shove a truckload of money his way. no one who makes a film that will top 100 million only makes one film. get ready for the second coming of cheesy elvis flicks. next up is eminem in "Jailhouse Rock 2, Electric Boogaloo":crazed:

Well, it does seem to me that everything that MM is touching is turning to gold. I just hope that whatever choices he does make, he still keeps his midas touch. His short performance in "THE WASH" was the highlight of that flick. But no doubt, no doubt. Em is definately succeeding where alot have failed before like Vanilla Ice. I do see Em becoming this generation's Elvis. It is just eerie that a person who has done so many controversial things is being embraced by millions who would basically despise him, but can't help but love him. For example on this thread, nobody has even really even put a dis against Em at all, because he has that hypnotic power. He is almost becoming like the Olsen twins. You can't even find anything bad to say about him, and if you try, your jaws lock up and you can't speak.

SithDroid
11-10-2002, 10:27 PM
This movie should have just been titled Glitter 2. Same stupid plot, different characters. I don't like eminem but obviously this is going to draw a huge crowd of "mindless" teenagers who can't distiguish a good movie from a piece of crap, but are only going to see ti because they "love" eminem. The only reason that 8 mile will make any money this week is because it isn't opening up against anything big. If it opened next week alongside Harry Potter, I guarantee it wouldn't have done 1/2 as much as it would have this weekend.

scruffziller
11-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
The only reason that 8 mile will make any money this week is because it isn't opening up against anything big. If it opened next week alongside Harry Potter, I guarantee it wouldn't have done 1/2 as much as it would have this weekend.

Nah, because most of the younger kids would be seeing Harry Potter and they shouldn't be watching 8 mile at all, and the older kids that would be watching 8 mile would be there anyway regardless, so it wouldn't really have an impact that would affect it in the magnitude that you say. What I am saying is that most people watching Harry Potter are not watching 8 mile and vice versa.

The Overlord Returns
11-11-2002, 10:47 AM
LOL 8 Mile.............

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA................

I am not an Eminem fan. While a few of his releases have been tolerable, and almost mildly interesting, I cannot support a whiny b!tch complaining about how horrible his life has been. I've seen myriad musicians, far more talented than Feminem create songs that don't depend solely on the "poor lil' old me" vibe that the femmer thrives on.

Regardless of the fact that he's a homophobic biggot, childishly slurring the name of a more talented musician with the notion that said musician might be a homosexual.

That being said, you can't mock something until you've take it in first hand.

8 mile was appealing to me because I've enjoyed Curtis Hansons prior endeavours. I also like Mekhi Phifer quite a bit. He's quite talented. So, Off I went to see if this film would indeed be an interesting look at urban life in detroits "8 mile" area, and a true look at the world of hip hop.

What I recieved was, technically, a well done film. Hanson helms it well, giving us a stark, dirty urban feel. The script could use some work, but only a bit.

Mekhi Phifer is great as Future. He brings class to every scene he's in.

Eminem himself is not acting. He's playing eminem. He, surpruisingly, is fine at playing....eminem.

It's poor Brittany Murphy and Basinger that start the suspicions rolling.

I've long wondered wether Hanson had issues with women. Well, now you get to see his misogynistic leanings fly all over the screen......and that's not all..........

The films essential premise is of Rabbit, a white boy that rhymes, competes with, and bests ALL the black rappers around him. The film sends out a message that the white "hero" is better than the black men surrounding him. It's an incredibly racist message.

I won't go so far as to say it was intentional. I doubt it was. Still, it comes across clear as day ...and seemed to be the view left with many as they walked out of my particular theatre.

2-1B
11-11-2002, 11:49 AM
TOR, are you calling Moby "talented" ? :crazed:

I have to disagree about this alleged racist message, how is it racist when the main character WAS "better" than all the rappers around him? If anything, Papa Doc and his crew were the racists, calling out Rabbit for being white.

You mentioned Mekhi Pfifer as Future - surely he has a role in this? After all, he's the one who most believes in Rabbit . . . shouldn't you be labeling him as some sort of aid in sending out this message? :confused:

The Overlord Returns
11-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
TOR, are you calling Moby "talented" ? :crazed:

I have to disagree about this alleged racist message, how is it racist when the main character WAS "better" than all the rappers around him? If anything, Papa Doc and his crew were the racists, calling out Rabbit for being white.

You mentioned Mekhi Pfifer as Future - surely he has a role in this? After all, he's the one who most believes in Rabbit . . . shouldn't you be labeling him as some sort of aid in sending out this message? :confused:

First question. Yes I am. He is talented. And, while I am not a huge fan of Moby's....he's far more talented than feminem.

The racist overtones are clear in the sense that he's a white kid in competition with black rappers, and ofcourse, the white kid is better than the lot of them. Look back at the co opting of black music by white artists thoughout the 20th century, and you'll see that the films premise just pushes this along. They may invent it, but we do it better than they do. I found the( again, probably unintentional) message quite clear.

Again, if it was untintentional, Mekhi Phifer is simply an actor playing a role he found intriguing. Again, it's a vehicle for eminem, and most of the cast an crew saw less of the racist and misogynistic messages, and more the "eminem is so good he beats everybody" message.

Eternal Padawan
11-11-2002, 12:17 PM
I can see where TOL gets that idea from. I had a similar thought watching the movie. Basically its a black culture movie(I hate that there's a distinction, but there is) thats been co-opted by a white guy.

Derek. I've worked with good performers in my student videos and people who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. Alot of it has to do with devotion to the performance. You get out of it what you put into it. I think Marshall put alot into his performance. As for the director and cameraman "making or breaking" the performance. From my experience, I rely on the performers to do their share of the work in making a believable video. i'm not saying thats true of everybody, but I can't stand prima donnas.

The Overlord Returns
11-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I can see where TOL gets that idea from.

Hmmm...... TOL?????

Ya know, I was thinking of updating the name to:

The Overlord: (insert new word here).

TOL...

The Overlord: Lobotomized ;)

scruffziller
11-11-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
LOL 8 Mile.............

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA................

I am not an Eminem fan. While a few of his releases have been tolerable, and almost mildly interesting, I cannot support a whiny b!tch complaining about how horrible his life has been. I've seen myriad musicins, far more talented than Feminem create songs that don't depend solely on the "poor lil' old me" vibe that the femmer thrives on.

Regardless of the fact that he's a homophobic biggot, childishly slurring the name of a more talented musician with the notion that said musician might be ***.

That being said, you can't mock something until you've take it in first hand.

8 mile was appealing to me because I've enjoyed Curtis Hansons prior endeavours. I also like Mekhi Phifer quite a bit. He's quite talented. So, Off I went to see if this film would indeed be an interesting look at urban life in detroits "8 mile" area, and a true look at the world of hip hop.

What I recieved was, technically, a well done film. Hanson helms it well, giving us a stark, dirty urban feel. The script could use some work, but only a bit.

Mekhi Phifer is great as Future. He brings class to every scene he's in.

Eminem himself is not acting. He's playing eminem. He, surpruisingly, is fine at playing....eminem.

It's poor Brittany Murphy and Basinger that start the suspicions rolling.

I've long wondered wether Hanson had issues with women. Well, now you get to see his misogynistic leanings fly all over the screen......and that's not all..........

The films essential premise is of Rabbit, a white boy that rhymes, competes with, and bests ALL the black rappers around him. The film sends out a message that the white "hero" is better than the black men surrounding him. It's an incredibly racist message.

I won't go so far as to say it was intentional. I doubt it was. Still, it comes across clear as day ...and seemed to be the view left with many as they walked out of my particular theatre.

After the fact, naturally.:rolleyes: .............predictable.

The Overlord Returns
11-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

After the fact, naturally.:rolleyes: .............predictable.

erm.........I have no idea what you mean by "after the fact"....

Eternal Padawan
11-11-2002, 06:44 PM
TOL= The OverLord.

The Overlord Returns
11-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
TOL= The OverLord.

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh...........

I'm just so used to everyone using the acronym TOR.........

my bad.

Jedi Master Silas
11-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Just wanted an interview with Eminem about the movie and his life..it was really interesting..it was on our Local UPN channel here...if it repeats and you can catch it it is worth it..

Imperial Monarche
11-11-2002, 09:24 PM
well, anyone that judges this film just cuz of eminem in it before they actually see it is ludacris (sorry, not the rapper) and my whole perception of eminem's talent has changed, i mean i always knew he had lots of talent in the underground (his albums suck doe cuz all he talks bout is kim and his mom and just actin like a retard) but in this it shows his beginnins. the rappin was ill, even the old ppl in the theater were laughin at his battler rhymes at the end. i love to watch battles so this movie was perfect, but gettin back to the judgin thing, ppl judge this movie cuz it has eminem and they think its just another black only- rap movie. but its so much more than just that, sure it has majority black cast and it has eminem and it has rappin, but its a story of how someone can go from nuthin to gainin respect among those that he really had to prove himself for. i knw this from personal experience because alot of his trials in the movie, i have gone thru. i had to prove that i had some talent among other rappers wen everyone around me that rapped is black and im white. i also had to gain the respect of the black ppl at my high school in order to get some credability. besides, if anyone wants to judge before they see this movie, anyone out there remember the movie that made millions and an academy award called...ROCKY!

Prince Xizor
11-11-2002, 10:42 PM
I saw this movie Friday and was looking forward too it for awhile. While a lot of people went to see this movie just to see Eminem, I went because of Phifer and Hansen. I am big fans of both of them. L.A. Confidential was a great movie, and Phifer has done a great job on ER so far. As for the movie, I was very impressed. Eminem did a great job potraying Rabbit (I don't see why he would have trouble though, the character is based on himself). The movie was not perfect, there was some pointless scenes (The house burning, anything w/ his ex), but all in all it was a good movie. I would recommend going to see it, no matter if you like Eminem or not.

dr_evazan22
11-12-2002, 02:42 PM
I can see how people thought/think that the movie was racist, but I didn't see it that way. I just saw it as a story of a person overcoming adversity in his life and deciding how to make his dreams come true.

scruffziller
11-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Regardless of its content it is still a great drama from a cinematic point of view. Then again I could just be biased.

derek
11-20-2002, 06:35 PM
i almost bought an eminem cd today, but resisted the dark urge, regardless of how catchy his new song is.:)

2-1B
11-21-2002, 05:04 AM
derek, are you saying you didn't lose yourself to the music ? :crazed:

187-Maul
11-21-2002, 10:34 AM
I saw the movie yesterday and I really liked it too
maybe it's just because I'm an Eminem fan, though

scruffziller
12-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by derek
i almost bought an eminem cd today, but resisted the dark urge, regardless of how catchy his new song is.:)

Give in............................................... :greedy: :dead:

The catchiness is too great.

scruffziller
03-23-2003, 11:16 AM
I am so glad I didn't buy my 8 Mile DVD at WAL MART.
The Superman video is censored from what WAL MART is selling.
Go to Best Buy.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Like him or hate him, from now on we'll all have to call him Academy Award (R) Winner Eminem. :eek:

2-1B
03-24-2003, 02:55 AM
And I couldn't be happier for him. :D

Easily the best song of all the nominees in my opinion. :)

Eternal Padawan
03-24-2003, 05:44 PM
I thought for sure that U2 song about America would win, what with the sweeping patriotic furor coming out of Hollywood these days.:rolleyes:

What got censored on the video?

scruffziller
03-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Alright get back on topic..........;)