PDA

View Full Version : New packaging for 2003

rynobot
11-10-2002, 12:26 AM
I have heard that there will be new packaging for figures when 2003 comes. I also heard that the last figures for this year are the Destroyer Droid and the new Yoda. Has anyone else heard about this?

Beast
11-10-2002, 12:32 AM
The packaging will remain exactly the same, from what I have heard. Except for the new numbering system of '03 being used instead of '02. And the #'s will start over with 01 as well. There has been no rumors of card changes, even the trash compactor screen scenes use blue boxes. :)

Since the Destroyer Droid: Geonosis Battle and Yoda: Jedi High Council are supposed to be released in late Nov./ early Dec., I would say it's probably pretty likely. There is also the Battle Droid (red), that is coming then also. Though some of the 2003 figures could turn up early. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
11-10-2002, 12:34 AM
oh yes I forgot the Red Battle Droid, I just saw some on E-Bay, so I am glad that they will be out soon.

Lord Tenebrous
11-10-2002, 05:52 AM
It would be nice to change the color scheme and get rid of the crappy Photoshopped swirls and starbursts. Even a different shade of blue would be nice. After so much merchandise in 2002, a refresh would be welcome.

I can imagine that to many, the Saga packaging just isn't interesting anymore.

kadamontaga
11-10-2002, 06:31 AM
Yep. The appeal of the blue packaging has completely gone for m now. Its just boring to look at, and to be honest, I think a lot of amateurs could do better.
If they do decide to change the packaging, I hope they keep using a big central bubble, but change the colours to sometihng darker and moodier. Perhaps even some imperial or industrial stylings.
I'd also prefer them to avoid using one character's image on all the packaging (like Darth and Obi in POTJ and Maul in EP1).

Jek Porky 2002
11-10-2002, 08:47 AM
I like the blue, but I do think the icey mountains are a bit much, what's the idea of them?

jedi_uk73
11-10-2002, 08:57 AM
I've also heard that the cards will be exactly the same, apart from the numbering system.

I would have liked to have seen a new color sceme, but same style card.

Unfortunately, the 2003 range will still be classed as SAGA, so we will probably have to put up with the current sytle.

Mind you, they did have 2 colours with the POTF2 range.

steve3p0
11-10-2002, 09:42 AM
i like the simple design and packaging currently in use.

plus blue is my favorite color.

kadamontaga
11-10-2002, 10:11 AM
But even if you do like the current packaging, don't you think its time for a change? Haven't you seen enough of it already?

steve3p0
11-10-2002, 11:12 AM
i'm sure it will be changed eventually, but still i like the design at least more than any other so far.

i wonder what the design will look like come EP3 ?

Beast
11-10-2002, 11:29 AM
In't funny, how people have been asking for blue cards since Hasbro changed the cards originaly from orange to green. Yet when we finally get them, so many people want them to hurry up and change again. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
11-10-2002, 11:42 AM
I really don't care what color the cards are. My only complaint about the blue cards is that there is another toy line that has the same color. It makes it look like there are more SW figures than there really are.

JEDIpartner
11-10-2002, 01:17 PM
I like the cards, but I throw them out anyhow. Besides... youdon't see Coke or Pepsi changing THEIR boxes EVERY year... just every COUPLE of years. Cut these guys a break. As far as they are concerned, the packages are just a way of getting the product to us. :o

Old Fossil
11-10-2002, 01:31 PM
The only thing I don't like is the fact that the photo representing the figure on the front of the Saga package is much too small. A bigger picture would mean a smaller bubble, probably, but I wouldn't mind that, either, though it would create problems for the larger figures, such as Ephant Mon.

I also wish they'd go back to showing lots of figures on the back of the cards, instead of just three. That's what I liked best about the POTJ cards; kind of a throwback to the vintage days, but with an improved layout.

Blue is, I think, the best color scheme so far, though Black might work even better.

tagmac
11-10-2002, 01:43 PM
I'd love to see them go to black, as a real throwback to the vintage cards. Remember, back then the cards stayed exactly the same, save for changes to the cardback and movie title. POTJ made the pictures a little smaller, but otherwise stayed pretty much the same.

kadamontaga
11-10-2002, 01:51 PM
In't funny, how people have been asking for blue cards since Hasbro changed the cards originaly from orange to green. Yet when we finally get them, so many people want them to hurry up and change again.
I don't think i'm being ungrateful in saying that I'd like Hasbro to change the packaging. Sure they changed it a earlier this year - but that doesn't mean I can't be bored of it by now. I'm a customer like every other collector so I think my opinion is valid.
If you guys think that the packaging is fine as it is, fair enough, i'm glad you like it :)
I'm just saying that if I had my way, I'd have it changed.

JEDIpartner
11-10-2002, 01:54 PM
It costs money to change the packaging... there goes our $4.99 list price... :(

Deoxyribonucleic
11-10-2002, 02:01 PM
I would love to see new packaging as well. The card design silver R2 is packaged on would be great as long as the board is a bit thicker! I like that plain black and silver logo look. There's been so many other colors, it's time to do black and even white cards with a gold logo would be pretty cool too! It sure would stick out and be different than anything I've ever seen.

Lord Tenebrous
11-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
It costs money to change the packaging... there goes our $4.99 list price... :(

Not if Hasbro knows what's best for them. With so many toy lines, aesthetic change is the best way of showing consumers that there's new product out. And besides, we saw the POTJ price rise long before the new card.

But that new card was helpful when browsing through peg after peg of figures, because it divided the old Force File figures (that you probably already had), and the non-File figures, the ones you sought the most in late 01, early 02.

steve3p0
11-10-2002, 03:47 PM
star wars was the #1 selling toy of the summer...

that certainly is not due ONLY to the new packaging and price but i doubt they hurt.
hasbro might do well to not mess around with a good thing.

Jargo
11-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Psychologically speaking black is not good as a choice of color. Perhaps it might work for larger or more expensive items like elctrical goods and jewellery where black denotes that something is a 'luxury' item but as far as toys go their primary target is kids and for kids the brighter colors are what attracts. If Hasbro were to change the color it would be to another bright color like yellow or orange. Eye catching colors. The silver R2 packaging seems drab and listless to me. Sure it 'hearkens back to a time when....' but that's not good for kids who can't remember that time back when because they're only six years old and the cultural significance is completely lost on them.
Personally i don't much care anymore whether there is a card or not, I tear the toys from their packaging as soon as i get them. But the brighter colors make it easy to spot the star wars figures from across the store which is the reasoning behinmd the lurid green of the POTJ cardbacks. Instant brand recognition. Given the apparent strngth of the star wars line in 2002 it seems unlikely that Hasbro would repackage in a new livery the product that's selling so well - apparently.
Rather, they would capitalise on that and strengthen and consolidate the packaging. A cohesive whole that marks it out among all the other drab toy lines. when you see the blue you know it's star wars toys. I think it would be safer to keep the blue color scheme until episode three and then go hell for leather on super deluxe packaging to denote the end of a saga. The final darkest movie with packaging to reflect that. Gold and red With some black creeping in from the sides. But that's only my humble opinion and I wouldn't decry anyone elses ideas as any less valid than mine. It's a question of aesthetics and what pleases the individual. At the end of the day hasbro will do whatever Hasbro want to.

Beast
11-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Plus Hasbro tried a predominantly black card, with the Episode I line. And we know how well that line did. I like the new card design. It has a touch of vintage feel, with a modern flair. It's still the best packaging ever for the modern Star Wars line. Plus with the bigger bubbles, we get to pay $4.99 for Ephant Mon, instead of him being in the Deluxe line for $9.99. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
11-10-2002, 05:24 PM
I wish there was a way for hasbro to use less plastic in there packaging but since the US opted out of the recycling agreements at the world summit there's no chance of a break for planet earth. The card backs are going to go to pulp but those blister will be around for gazillions of years. They just don't biodegrade. Think how many star wars items have been made with plastic blisters this year and think how many thousands of each item were made. Think of all that plastic just cluttering up the planet and it's scandalous. The only way to rid the planet of all that plastic packaging is to burn it and that sends clouds of noxious chemicals into the atmosphere. There must be a way to use a material to package these things that would biodegrade. What's even more scary is when you consider how many other toy lines also package items this way or worse with an all plastic package hermetically sealed. Our collecting habits are going to be around for centuries after we die. I'd like to see some kind of recycled card packaging with a bio-degradable window. really reduce the plastic amount involved. Something similar to the episode 1 preview Mace Windu packaging. That had a small thin tray to hold the figure steady and a thin window. It allowed you to see the figure adequately but still looked pretty sweet. All you'd have to add to that is a flap with a peg hole and it would be so much more environmentally friendly. It would actually look a lot more stylish than a great big plastic blister. I think the packaging on some of the figures this year has worked against them and made them look cheap and nasty.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-10-2002, 05:33 PM
My plastic bubbles get recycled here in So.Cal as well as the cards and a bunch of other stuff!:)

Sinister Lord
11-10-2002, 05:37 PM
I agree with tagmac, I'd like them to go to black star-field background, like on the silver R2-D2 package. I think that's the way to go.

Jargo
11-10-2002, 05:50 PM
I didn't think you could recycle that sort of plastic. Over here it's just discarded in landfill sites because there's nothing we can do with it. What do they do to break it down then? Because it's pretty useless once it's been used.
The cards get pulped and bleached and re-pressed to make sheets of low grade cardboard again. The blister plastics are used again how?

Deoxyribonucleic
11-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I didn't think you could recycle that sort of plastic. Over here it's just discarded in landfill sites because there's nothing we can do with it. What do they do to break it down then? Because it's pretty useless once it's been used.
The cards get pulped and bleached and re-pressed to make sheets of low grade cardboard again. The blister plastics are used again how?

I've no idea what they do with it or how they breakdown or use it, all I know is that I put it in my recycle bin (everyone in my city has their own personal recycle bin just like a garbage can)and it goes bye-bye. :) I do know that if it weren't recyclable, they would not take it as they've refused other items we've tried to recycle in the past and when we first moved here there was a list of things you couldn't recycle and plastic was not on that list. We don't even have to clean out tins or bottles (I do though, it makes it easier for the recyclers and takes only a few seconds). This is after all California, a very Democratic state and like Washington state, we are very conscious of the environment, especially because so many damn people live here too! Not that other states aren't the same, I just mention those two as I've been a resident of both for my whole life.

But back to the packaging for 2003, a return to the side bubble wouldn't be bad either as it does cut down on the amount of material used. It's nice to see that they cut down the size of videogame packaging too! :)

Jargo
11-10-2002, 08:42 PM
If they reduce the bubble size it only means we get less bang for our buck since it also means smaller accessories or no accessories. Using a box style package means they can still get the accessories in but the important part I.E. the figure is displayed inn the window at the front still. So carded collectors would still be able to gape at their posessions without ever having to touch them. The boxes would be made from recycled card anyway in the same way that the cardbacks already are or certainly look to be half the time. Squarer packaging means the stuff fits into cases better and you can pack more items per case.
Again, I'm probably going to be a lone herald for the non plastic packaging but that's nothing new. I'm a radical thinker free of the constraints of convention, I fly in the face of society and shout
THRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPP!!!!!!
No I'm a free radical, a micro singularity in society's side :D

Deoxyribonucleic
11-10-2002, 08:49 PM
Actually, I think that's a really great idea Jargo! You are talking packaging like the mail-away mace windu or Oola and Salacious Crumb figures right?

I think the only problem there with those who like to collect carded is that it would be almost impoosible to hang them on the wall like so many people like to do. Unless they put little plastic tabs on the top for hanging but those fall off so easily.

Just my 2 million cents :)

Jargo
11-10-2002, 09:00 PM
That's why in the first post where i mentioned the cardboard packaging i referenced the mace Windu mail-in and mentioned the addition of a top flap to shove the peg holes in :D

I'd like to see some kind of recycled card packaging with a bio-degradable window. really reduce the plastic amount involved. Something similar to the episode 1 preview Mace Windu packaging. That had a small thin tray to hold the figure steady and a thin window. It allowed you to see the figure adequately but still looked pretty sweet. All you'd have to add to that is a flap with a peg hole
See? that's what I said alright. ;) If the flap was double thickness and folded over and glued, then it would technically be strong enough to take a hell of a knocking. But also adding in the very small plastic tab would strngthen it. While adding plastic goes against what I want, it's not a huge amount we're talking of. One thin sheet for the window on the front, one thin insert tray to hold the figure in place, one small tab. You've eliminated the largest lump of plastic by doing away with the blisters. A lot of plastic and a lot of space wasted for most saga figures. Of course i realise that in actual fact the plastic blisters are way cheaper to produce than any cardboard, window packaging. But only by a penny or two. If the price altered accordingly then it would be okay. So you wouldn't necessarily see the accessories inside but so what, shove a picture on the back and the instructions inside. Do a couple of tiny blasters deserve half a blister to themselves? Does a small helmet justify a whole quarter of a blister to itself? No! It's total waste. So just baggy them up and shove them behind the figure, print a pic on the back of the box to show the contents. That's the old school element - surprise. :happy:

Deoxyribonucleic
11-10-2002, 09:12 PM
D'OH!

Well, I didn't read ALL of the posts for cryin' out loud :) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
and I guess you could acuse me of not RTFMing
:D hehe

But I'm still BAD T' THE BONE!:Pirate:

Jargo
11-10-2002, 09:34 PM
I did at one time think they should do away with the cards altogether and just pack the figures entirely in plastic shells with just a small card at the top with the brand name on it. Just a big gold 'STAR WARS' and then a see through bubble. like so many transparent eggs hanging on the pegs. But then i realised how long it takes for plastic that's dumped to degrade and how much plastic Hasbro uses each year. and how many plastic mountains were growing up everywhere. Then i thought about how cool the boxed mail in figures look. And i imagined a whole shelf full of those or a whole wall covered in them and i compared them to the carded figures in my head and decided that aesthetically the boxed figures triumph stylisticaly. The practicalities for many of keeping figures stored that don't all have a uniform size blister could be solved with a uniform size box. One size for astro droids and kids and small characters like ugnaughts and jawas, one size for human characters and humanoid aliens and then a big size for characters like gamorreans, dexter, etc. Of course with characters like Ephant there would have to be an exeption but standardising the boxes would mean no specially commisioned cutting templates for every figure just a different print job and all that is is a new printing roller plate. That's easy it's the cutting template that's harder to do and takes more time. But like i say, America isn't actually obliged to recycle anything since she opted out of that agreement, therefore Hasbro are not obliged to save the world from pollution and can legitimately create as much plastic packaging as they want to with impunity. Which i think is sad because it's bad enough that every toys is made from plastic without the majority of the packaging being made of it too.

Lord Tenebrous
11-10-2002, 10:33 PM
I think a alteration of the 300th Fett package would be perfect. The insert would be printed on the bottom-front, you'd have only the most neccessary information on the back of the box, you'd have a partial view of the back of the figure, and you can pack stuff like bases on the bottom. I'm not looking forward to seeing the bases packed like regular accessories, sprawled vertically in the back of the bubble. Just hide them, and seal the bottom of the box so nobody can cut the tape and pull them out.

Or better yet, decrease the cardboard in the back and just pack in instructions and a checklist. You can still use the box to store accessories, or you can slide your own pictures into the back and have a mini-scene.

We won't have another hulkster like Ephant for a while, and when the time comes, they can give him a specialty box. They should have been doing that back with Bacta Luke. Wouldn't you have loved that to have been in a box, with enough room to put FX-7 and 2-1B in there? Okay, I'll shut up now... :)

JEDIpartner
11-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... ;)

Jargo
11-11-2002, 08:47 PM
What was that again? didn't quite catch what you said... :stupid: