PDA

View Full Version : Filming at Mount Etna

Battle Droid
11-10-2002, 06:41 PM
From www.theforce.net

EP3 Production Underway in Italy?
Sun, Nov 10, 02 12:24:36 PM EST

FB alerts us to the following report:

A friend sent this to me today, and it looks like Episode III is already in production.
The article says that an italian cameraman and Ron Fricke (considered an amazing cinematographer) have been on the Etna for a week now, shooting for Episode III. The Italian cameraman explains how he was called for the job: "Lucas figured out it would be cheaper to film a real volcano rather than creating it digitally, and when Etna became "noisy" again a couple of weeks ago, Lucasfilm contacted the italian company Too Motion for which I work" (considered the best company for HD digital video in Italy).

The article says the cameraman was called on the 31st of October and asked to be in Sicily the following day. They should have finished shooting on the 6th, but he says they keep finding amazing new angles and images to capture on video.

Here's the link to the article, which appeared yesterday on an Italian local newspaper

At the end of the article the cameraman also praises Digital Video and says Americans aren't arguing anymore over it, as it's already considered the future of cinema.

Link to the article,

http://quotidiano.liberta.it/archivio/ArchivioDettagli.asp?IDArt=215929&Hilight=Etna&Y=2002&M=11&D=9

Rogue II
11-12-2002, 10:43 AM
Thanks for posting this Battle Droid.:D

Well, I'm glad we're finally getting some REAL spoilers. I've been reading our fan-base spoilers, but in the end, they don't really mean squat. We can use all of the logic in the world to figure out how what happens in Episode 3, but its GL's Star Wars Universe, and he can change the rules as he sees fit.

Nexu
11-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Sweet. :)

Toad
11-15-2002, 09:10 AM
Has Mt. Etna really been "noisy" lately?

I can't see how it would be cheaper to film a few establishing shots of an active volcano than creating it digitally. It's not like GL had his actors running around a volcano all day if it was active! ;)