PDA

View Full Version : UK - Best place to buy AOTC and LOTR DVDs?

kadamontaga
11-11-2002, 03:02 AM
Hi all,
Where will everyone be getting their AOTC and LOTR DVDs this week?
Report back with your findings.

Jargo
11-11-2002, 07:25 AM
Try going to play.com if you have a credit card. They work out a lot cheaper than MVC and have free shipping on all orders. They're based in Jersey. I checked out the prices of the LOTR and AOTC DVDs yesterday and they were just 16.99 for AOTC and roughly 26 I think for the LOTR 4 disk set. They also do music and I was hard pushed to find a CD for more than 10. I did a search for older CDs and some of the really hard to find stuff that usually goes for like 20 at HMV was just 9.99. I haven't actually bought from them yet since my credit card is pretty much maxed out but with prices like that I'll definately be giving them a go.

kadamontaga
11-11-2002, 07:40 AM
thanks EJ.
I think I heard that Sainsbury's will be doing a good offer. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-11-2002, 08:03 AM
I was planning on trying Sainsbury's. Their CDs are all 9:99 each so I figured DVDs would be similarly reasonable.
Just checked Sainsburys website and it's 12.50 which seems pretty good to me.

jedi_uk73
11-11-2002, 08:20 AM
I preordered my copy of AOTC from Play.com a while ago.

I was hoping it would have arrived today, as TPM arrived a day earlier than its release date last year.

Sadly no sign of it yet, hopefully tomorrow.

Darth Nanny
11-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Amazon.co.uk are also selling AOTC for 16.99 and LOTR (4 Disc) for 22.49 - plus if you get both for 39.48 it is free p & p (any order above 39).
However, does the UK version of AOTC include the Jango/Obi Wan headbutt?
I think because it is U rated, this extra will only appear on the US version :(

kdp100
11-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Just wandered through Piccadilly Circus to compare the prices in Tower Records, Virgin & HMV. Here are the results:

DVD & VHS
Tower - 19.99 & 15.99
HMV - 19.99 (incl. voucher) & 13.99
Virgin Megastore - 18.99 & 13.99

Disappointed not to see any sign of a widescreen VHS version, though, as that would match the original TPM tape I bought a few years back.

kadamontaga
11-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Had a look all around Derby today. The cheapest I could get it was 16.99 using my NUS discount at Virgin Megastores.
I feel a bit ripped-off.

Jargo
11-11-2002, 02:51 PM
I spoke to a guy in my local MVC today as I bought the VHS and asked if there was a widescreen VHS, he said "Um, whatever's on the shelf is what we've got...." not very helpful at all but he seemed more concerned with how his hair looked in the reflection of the vhs packaging than anything else. :rolleyes: I have a feeling that the VHS version is more of a grudging release since the official site blared about how good the DVD was and how we should all go widescreen over fullscreen to see the movie THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED TO BE SEEN! which is great but for those of us not fortunate enough to have a DVD player it means the agony of having only half a movie.
I'm all for new technologies and better viewing experiences but sometimes we can't all jump on the bandwagon straight away and to be mean and force us to take on technology is pretty crappy of the entertainment industry. I foresee the VHS experience being pretty sad from now on as they make them poorer and poorer quality and the DVD's better and better. I'll buy both versions until I can afford a DVD player and suffer the fullscreen gloomily, but I'm not happy about this decision to only do a fullscreen version of the VHS. Maybe if they reduced the price of DVD technology more people would be embracing it.
But that's just my rant for the day. I'm sitting down to watch the VHS later, looking forward to seeing some of the deleted scenes.

kdp100
11-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Well said, Jargo!

Just watched the opening crawl and (as I'm about to post on another thread) 'tis indeed fullscreen.

I plan to get DVD at some point in the next year or so as part of an upgrade to my PC, but not before.
I suspect that your term 'grudging' sums the situation up quite accurately.

At the moment the VHS format seems to be a ridiculously cheap medium for buying anything. I suspect that by the time the DVD of Episode THREE is available, it may have become very much a minority medium, with prices increased accordingly.

kadamontaga
11-11-2002, 07:44 PM
I just watched the DVD of the film. Its great! And to think I was tempted to buy Season 2 of Futurama instead today.
I did notice that its edited differently to the versions I saw at the cinema (I saw the film and digital versions in may/june). I thought that overall the editting for for the better - but can't Lucas leave anything the way it is?!

Anyway, I watched the deleted scenes expecting to see part of the Yoda vs Dooku battle where Dooku uses 2 lightsabers, but it was no-where to be seen. I'm sure i heard it'd be on the DVD. Does anyone know anything about this?

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-12-2002, 04:00 AM
Wasn't put in. Neither was the Jedi attck on the droid ship. Those were the two cut scenes that everyone wanted and the two they left out. I guess they were also the two that needed the most work to bring them up to scratch.

jedi_uk73
11-12-2002, 06:02 AM
Still not got my DVD yet, bought it on VHS last night though.

I noticed that the Head-butt scene with Jango & Obi Wan on Kamino was not included.

Is it on the DVD ???

kadamontaga
11-12-2002, 07:11 AM
Not that I've seen yet, but I haven't watched a lot of the special features.

mightywhelk
11-12-2002, 07:35 AM
I don't think the head-butt scene is part of the deleted scenes section on the DVD unfortunatley. In my opinion, I'm glad the deleted scenes were just that, they don't really add anything to the story.

The only good one is when Obi-Wan and Mace are walking through a hangar full of Jedi Starfighters but this backdrop was replaced for the final cut with them walking through the Jedi Temple with Yoda floating next to them Mekon-style on a saucer.

In response to the original question, I preordered from Play.com and received my copy on Saturday and it was 15.99. I use them for all my DVD and PS2 purchases. CD's - try CD-wow.com.

Emperors_Hand_2211
11-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Checked at Sainsburys today.
12.50 is the website price. 17.99 in store.
Argos is 16.99 and that's the cheapest i've found from a store i can walk into.