PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

The 'Xir
11-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Now, I'm not trying to cause trouble or nothing...ok well maybe I am. :D But, I was just thinking of some of my pet peeves with forums and wondering what some of yours are with either this one or others! For example one of mine is...
Why is it that some people feel the need to quote someone elses entire post before commenting on it! I mean I know WHY they're doing it, but why not highlight a couple of lines Why the whole thing! I don't know it just bugs me, and I see more and more people doing it! It takes up space and is annoying! IMO

OK, let me cut off some of the jokes early. After someone highlights this entire thread and says, "like this?". One could be my pet peeve is people who make threads about pet peeves!:rolleyes:

Ok so now what are some of your actual pet peeves?

Darth Sidious
11-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Lets see...Not a whole lot of stuff on these forums bothers me, except people who disrespect others and POST PADDING! It's ok if there is a day's span (Or longer) between someone's post, but posting two or more times in the same subject within the same minute?!? Come on, there is no excuse for that unless you can't read this four letter word: E-D-I-T. Use it people, it's there for a reason. As I have said before, if you really want to be an Emperor or Jedi Council Member, buy a brown or black robe and a MR Anakin/Vader glowing saber and knock yourselves out. Don't waste our space.

BanthaPoodoo
11-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Not being able to find figures when everyone else in the country has!

Exhaust Port
11-11-2002, 07:52 PM
Here's a pretty funny collection of forum users types. What are you? ;)

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

The Overlord Returns
11-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Damn thats a funny little list.

I think, on this forum, I fall somewhere between "Rebel Leader" and "Royals"....simply for the amount of time I've been coming here.

Lord Malakite
11-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Here's a pretty funny collection of forum users types. What are you? ;)

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

LOL. :D Those are pretty funny.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-12-2002, 08:03 PM
My pet peeve is the phrase, "Pet peeve" it just looks so freakin' annoying and bleh!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-12-2002, 09:50 PM
I hate those smile things. I never did understand their purpose wherever they are used.

derek
11-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
Now, I'm not trying to cause trouble or nothing...ok well maybe I am. :D But, I was just thinking of some of my pet peeves with forums and wondering what some of yours are with either this one or others! For example one of mine is...
Why is it that some people feel the need to quote someone elses entire post before commenting on it! I mean I know WHY they're doing it, but why not highlight a couple of lines Why the whole thing! I don't know it just bugs me, and I see more and more people doing it! It takes up space and is annoying! IMO

OK, let me cut off some of the jokes early. After someone highlights this entire thread and says, "like this?". One could be my pet peeve is people who make threads about pet peeves!:rolleyes:

Ok so now what are some of your actual pet peeves?

i agree, this is annoying!!!:crazed:

derek
11-12-2002, 10:43 PM
After someone highlights this entire thread and says, "like this?".

it's even more annoying when i don't read the whole thread.:crazed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-13-2002, 10:23 PM
I love these forums, but these are minor aggravations. Some of them, I may be guilty of, but I try my best not to commit these little sins, so I won't pointing any fingers:

The fact that it takes my computer an ungodly amount of time to load the pages.

It takes a long time to search for old threads.

People who basically repeat something someone else just says, right after they say it.

Conversations in threads that are best suited for PMs. One or two word posts.

People singing incorrect lyrics to a song that you know by heart.

Pencils tapping on desks.

The 'Xir
11-17-2002, 02:54 AM
Thanks Derek, I was just waiting to see how long it would take before someone would do that!(insert smiley of your choice here, but don't tell JBF)

jobi
11-17-2002, 10:48 AM
I really hate when people start threads about politics or war. Then use their opinion as fact. They also usually put articles written by other people in the threads and we are supposed to take this other persons opinion as fact. That irks me.

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by jobi
I really hate when people start threads about politics or war. Then use their opinion as fact. They also usually put articles written by other people in the threads and we are supposed to take this other persons opinion as fact. That irks me.

LOL.....you're not too familiar with subtlety are you?

I have a feeling that irked you so much because you couldn't combat it with your own opinions, which you most definitely used as "facts"......

Actually, it irks me when people go into another thread and make veiled references to the goings on in a thread that is dead and buried ;)

2-1B
11-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Actually, it irks me when people go into another thread and make veiled references to the goings on in a thread that is dead and buried ;)

Like this ? :D :D :D :D :D

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 01:47 PM
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Patient Zero
11-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Like this ? :D :D :D :D :D

Or like my commentary on how this: ;) is suppose to make everything better!?!

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

Or like my commentary on how this: ;) is suppose to make everything better!?!

It certainly wouldn't make things better if you stuck it at the end of a rant saying horrible, lewd things about someones mother ;)

Patient Zero
11-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
It certainly wouldn't make things better if you stuck it at the end of a rant saying horrible, lewd things about someones mother ;)

I wasn't refering to YOUR mother! Ghesh!!!;)

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

I wasn't refering to YOUR mother! Ghesh!!!;)

That's true............ carry on ;)

TylerD
11-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Not necessarily true on the forums, but I just hate it when people use DOUBLE NEGATIVES! "Uhhh, I didn't do nothing yesterday." That means you did something,you idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-25-2002, 02:07 AM
Really my only true pet peeve is when people pronounce the word Greasy with a "z"....

Greazzzzzy

:D

The 'Xir
11-25-2002, 01:18 PM
I here that! Like when people say: Yo! Iz Gots to AXE you sumtin!
You just feel like saying,"You're a Gungan aren't you!"
Where the hell did that start anyway, I hate that!
I mean I know that's been around for probably the past 15-20 years, but Oy Vey! It still bugs the cr*p out of me!
Axe? It's ASK!!! for the love of Christ!!!

Actually that's another thing all those religious type sayings you can put at the end of your sentences; For the love of Christ, Good Lord, Thank the Lord; Jesus, Mary and Joseph, God Damn it, Oh Christ, Oh God, Oh God in Heaven, Thank the Almighty, God Bless you, For Pete sake, Hell even I use Oy Vey! alot. I don't know, it just seems strange as to how all that stuff gets started.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Or how about the "academic" versions of tissue and issue, pronouncing the "ss" as the "s" in the word snake instead of an "sh" sound....GAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That really makes me laugh when I hear people say it that way! I had a crusty old dinosaur philosophy teacher who pronounced it that way...I'll never forget it!

Thanks for the laughs old man :D

2-1B
11-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
Really my only true pet peeve is when people pronounce the word Greasy with a "z"....

Greazzzzzy

:D

HEY ! :mad:

I say it like that sometimes, just out of silliness. :evil:

InsaneJediGirl
12-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Alright,I will be the first to admit that I dont spell everything correctly or use proper grammar,but I try.Anywho,I hate internet users who think its cool to misspell things

Example
IU1:yo,whatz up
IU2:nuttin
IU1:kwel,see any1 of our peeps 2day
IU2:naw,i wuz doin' stuf
IU1:u hear any new musiq?

..And so on.I feel for their parents,who tried to raise a semi-intelligent child and get something like THAT.:rolleyes:I know some people are in a hurry to type..but mispelling on purpose is wrong.

Pendo
12-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Alright,I will be the first to admit that I dont spell everything correctly or use proper grammar,but I try.Anywho,I hate internet users who think its cool to misspell things

Example
IU1:yo,whatz up
IU2:nuttin
IU1:kwel,see any1 of our peeps 2day
IU2:naw,i wuz doin' stuf
IU1:u hear any new musiq?

..And so on.I feel for their parents,who tried to raise a semi-intelligent child and get something like THAT.:rolleyes:I know some people are in a hurry to type..but mispelling on purpose is wrong.

I agre wit u! dat getz on me nervez 2! Am glad no1 in ere doez dat wit all there postz!

PENDO!

Darth Sidious
12-16-2002, 06:31 PM
1375 533...1337-5p3ak a150 ann0y5 m3 50m371m35. W0w!!! 100k a7 h0w k001 1 am b3cau53 1 50und l1k3 an 1d107! W00t3!!! 1 5p3ak haxX0rz!!! XD! XD! XD! XD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fulit
12-16-2002, 07:35 PM
The biggest one I have on any forums, or on any written or typed work anywhere is when people spell "loser" with two o's. "That guy's a looser," as in he doesn't have as firm a grip as someone else. It's not "looser" it's "loser", and you don't "loose something", you "lose it".

For some reason, I'm a stickler about that, it really bothers me.

I'm OCD about grammar. :(

jeddah
12-16-2002, 09:03 PM
1 When stunts go bad
2 When people type "then" instead of "than" or vice versa
3 People who put their cash point card back in the cash point when they have their money just to do one more thing.
4 bad customer service from weekend job staff.
5 people that slam every film you like with no reason or thought

just a few

jeddah

InsaneJediGirl
12-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
I agre wit u! dat getz on me nervez 2! Am glad no1 in ere doez dat wit all there postz!

PENDO!

No!Make it all stop:crazed:Pendo,that was just scary;)

LTBasker
12-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sidious
1375 533...1337-5p3ak a150 ann0y5 m3 50m371m35. W0w!!! 100k a7 h0w k001 1 am b3cau53 1 50und l1k3 an 1d107! W00t3!!! 1 5p3ak haxX0rz!!! XD! XD! XD! XD!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* I hate the fact that I know what I'm about to say.

In Leet speak, S = 2, not 5. Why? I dunno, it shouldn't be a text language anyways. Also when you have 3+ !!!'s, the end is supposed to be "!!1" or better example: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111"

X's are made with ><.

Then theres randomly used: /\/ /\/\ \/\/ |_| |< |)

They're not always used though, just sometimes.

Like I said, I hate the fact that I know that, I unfortunately picked it up without wanting to from hanging out on a gaming site. :cry:
I'm gonna go seek comfort with my Star Wars collection...

mabudonicus
12-17-2002, 11:14 AM
I gotta agree with Caesar, I say GREEEEEZEY too from time to time, dunno why but it's funny somehow, maybe cause it actually ticks some folks off...
I gotta agree with DNA, those pronunciations drive me nuts.. shedule, harris-ment you name it, ohhh yeah, and cue-pon drives me right up the wall..
I hate the expressions "bundle" (when referring to an expensive yet complete package offered by a company- you can't actually "bundle" many of the things you see offered thus, like vacations or internet service) and "doubling down"- theat one is always on the local idiot station here and they think it sounds so cool, yet it is meaningless and dumb...
Oh, and question for you, Jeddah, what about people like ME who rip most films, regardless of WHO likes em, with accuracy and thoroughness not often experienced (and I will only rip with knowledge, no-one likes baseless criticism):)

Last pet peeve- LANNY!!!!!!! NUFF SAID!!!

jjreason
12-17-2002, 01:01 PM
People who are drinking alcohol to excess when Im not - much more aggravating in a work situation than socially, but aggravating at all times.

People eating loudly when Im not eating. Heck, even when Im eating those sounds are bordering on leading to violence. Close the mouth, people. Close the mouth.

Liars lying and lies. Of course that's hypocritical because we're all guilty, but blatant lies when I know the truth are maddening.

jeddah
12-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Mabudon, you go ahead M8, it's the armchair critics that rile me :)

jeddah

sith_killer_99
12-17-2002, 06:44 PM
Is peeved a common name for pets? I once had a pet named Isis, she was a dog.

But seriously, my pet peeve is 1123581347112358134711...