PDA

View Full Version : Aotc Dvd

britcit3
11-12-2002, 11:02 AM
Eh up all

Have any of you chaps bought the AOTC DVD?

It's well worth having in this format - one of the deleted scenes is a scene inside the hangar of the Jedi Temple - and it's FULL of Jedi Starfighters - brilliant.

Also, later in the same scene, we see Obi-Wan fly his starfighter to a very long line of hyperdrive rings permanently in orbit around Coruscant.

I know this isn't mm/af related, but it is vehicle related.

Cheers

BC3

jeddah
11-12-2002, 01:57 PM
I've not watched my VHS past the bit where Obi-Wan is trapped in the enegry stream by Dooku, and I skipped the exclusive-to-video R2 and 3PO featurette at the beginning because I was so anxious to watch the film.

I presume the deleted scenes are at the end of the video, but we have 2 less scenes than you guys do on the DVD :(

One of the reasons why I stopped watching is because I was sick of missing parts that I was hoping for because it's not available on widescreen VHS yet. :frustrated:

The Jedi hangar bit is the bit I am most looking forward to though :):):)

jeddah

sicqnus
11-12-2002, 03:51 PM
Oh my lord !!! (Sith lord indeed...). You are lucky guys ! I'll have to wait a little (release date : november 20)...................AAARRRGGGH !
It seems everything is always in late in my country.

The dark force covers... everything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------<
Don't you know the story of Splouch the dog ?
Once upon a time there was a little dog sitting in the street.
Suddenly he wanted to cross the street, he started crossing but a car arrived very fast and...
"Splouch!" : the dog !

Hawkwind
11-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Does the widescreen vhs have more features??
Ill hopefully get the vhs tommorow and the dvd in a few weeks .
I didnt know the vhs version would have deleted scenes on ...cool :-)

Although my anticipation is slightly dampned due to the fact we downloaded the 2nd part of ep 2 from kazza (the version that was released before ep2 was in cinemas)

Nexu
11-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Terrible quality though. I'm currently downloading a rip that's 708 megs. Only about 40 hours left. :)

Edit: Got it, but it turned out to be a good-quality rip of LOTR. :-/

LTBasker
11-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah got the wide screen DVD today. It's worth it just the OT scenes that they show during documentarys. Even Obi-Wan's hut scenes look great on it. :cool: And unlike the TPM DVD, McCallum keeps his yap clean so we don't have to hear constant beeping. :D

good shot jansen
11-13-2002, 07:36 AM
it had been requested of all mods, to move, and keep all ep II dvd/vhs threads in a merged common thread in the episode II movies directory.

i am choosing to ignore this request with regards to this here thread.

mainly cause there are some posters who pretty much never get out of mm land, who i know will want to have something to say about the movie's home product release.

as brit cit had so nicely put it in his initial post, at least being able to watch the movie at home, complete with deleted scenes, will give us forummers a chance to see what vehicles should have been made into mm's!

vulcantouch
11-13-2002, 06:00 PM
. . .for someone to post a link on that merged common ground to this relatively insular mm-land klatch? :happy:

JediTricks
11-13-2002, 09:26 PM
This thread is fine where it is IMO because of the "community" factor in here, especially since we allow anybody to come in, but none ever leave, AHAHAHAHAHA!!! :evil: No wait, scratch that last part. ;)

I had a miserable time trying to get Best Buy to pricematch the TRU $9.99 ad, they refused so I was forced to buy it at $15.99 by someone who was with me and then they stiffed me on the free calendar giveaway! I hate Best Buy so much!!! Anyway, I haven't watched it yet.

QLD
11-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Community factor? Isn't this the same thing that the Cell Block was accused of?

Sounds like a double standard to me. One section gets to have off topic threads, but not others????

That makes no sense, and makes you look silly when you try to enforce those same rules to other people/threads.

Not trying to start a fight, just pointing that out to you.

good shot jansen
11-14-2002, 07:45 AM
as moderator of the mm section, i'm the one who chose to leave the thread here and not move it.

in the three years that most of us have been here, since the demise of the galoob buzz board, many ot threads have been started and discussed in the mm section. quite frankly, this is where all of us post to, and this is where we look to find topics of interest posted by fellow memebers who we have known and communicated with for well over 5 years now. :)

i stopped into tru yesterday, and of course they didn't have any wide screen versions of the dvd in stock :(, i then stopped into targets, and was able to pick up a wide screen version, as well as the wide screen version of tpm (i hadn't picked that one up yet). when i checked out, i was able to get both of them for the 35 dollars that they were charging for the two pack edition. i pointed out, that they didn't have any wide screen versions of the two pack, so they let me have the two single versions for the reduced price of the two pack.

so even though i wasn't abel to get it at the 10 dollar price, i'm still happy with the overall cost of getting both dvd's.

jeddah
11-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Hawkwind, there is no Widescreen VHS, that was my point :cry: Don;t ask me what the logic behind it is, oh yeah, I remember now;:greedy:

JT; we allow anybody to come in, but none ever leave, AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now you're starting to make this place sound like Royston Vasey (http://www.roystonvasey.co.uk/what.htm) :D :D :D

QLD, a lot of us knew each other for a long time before we came here, which is certainly not true for the CB. We don't hold votes to see who gets to use the forum, and we are not a hidden forum. Not trying to cause an argument.... :rolleyes:

jeddah

Hawkwind
11-14-2002, 10:07 AM
i got video today :-) (havent watched it yet though) . Im not to keen on widescreen ,in the movie forum they were fanatical at how good widescreen is ?? im i missing something?? (unless its better quality).

Roysten vasey hehehe ..i didnt really like the 3rd series of league of gents and the fact that they killed tubs and edward in the first episode and no toadman is disgracefull!!!!!!!!! (i only realised they were killed off in the last episode of series 3 :eek: :eek: :eek:

britcit3
11-14-2002, 10:11 AM
The Episode set in the massage parlour was absolutely revolting and side-splittingly funny at the same time.

I love LOG but I have to constantly fight with the Mrs to watch it as it literally turns her stomach.

BC3

"call me THE DADDY"

good shot jansen
11-14-2002, 11:02 AM
the really nice thing about wide screen presentations is that even if you don't like "letterbox" formatting on your telly, most dvd players have the ability of zooming in the picture, so that you can watch it full screen as well.

if you opt for just the full screen version, you don't get the ability to see it wide screen.

and if the current wave of television manufacturing stays the course, once all broadcasts are in hd format, most televisions will be made in the future in the rectangular wide screen type format. (i could be wrong about that though, i'm just guessing)

of course if it means that we all have to go out in a couple of years and buy new tv's, i'm sure the manufacturer's will be quite happy in doing that.

QLD
11-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Actually, I had been communicating with many members of the cell block for more than a few years before I ever went there.

And I have nothing against anybody, and am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

But, I do think many of the arguments that people used against the cell block, apply here as well.

Also, I am glad you have a little MM community, and I think that's great. But the fact that different rules apply here than elsewhere, well, that does kind of irk me. They split general discussion in half, because too many "general discussion" threads were off topic. But here in the micro machine section, you can go off topic as much as you want. That makes no sense.

You have to enforce the rules equally, or not at all. I doubt you guys want me or others coming here posting different threads that are not about MM, just because we want to be part of your clique.

Again, I am not trying to start any personal fights with anyone, but i think this is plain as day.

QLD
11-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Oh, as a sid note:

I got my DVD at Wal-Mart for 9.87, and I am very pleased with it.

:D

good shot jansen
11-14-2002, 01:08 PM
fair enough, i understand your position qld. each section has it's own moderator (or moderators), and it is the duty of each moderator(s) to decide what level of ot posting is acceptable.

what has transpired in other sections is mainly due to the amount of traffic those sections get. if the mm section turned into a free for all, with every memeber registered here at ssg posting non-stop, that would of course lead to a tightening of the moderating, and thus require threads like this to be moved out to the appropriate section.

but as the traffic here in the mm section is pretty much limited to what it has always been over the years, i'v been pretty liberal with regards to ot threads running their course. (they all mostly always end up getting back to mm's in some form or another)

anyway, welcome to the mm section qld. why donch'a stick around fer a spell, you may like what you see. :)

jeddah
11-14-2002, 01:17 PM
I don't mind whoever comes in here to chat :). I'd hate for GSJ to have to police loads of OT (as in off topic) or GenDisc threads within this little board. Personally I think (get ready for some creeping;)) GSJ is one of the best mods here as he is a member before a mod and his acts are always transparent, whether we agree with them or not.

I see your point about differences, that's what had me so riled in the first place, but I think the levity that we have been graciously given, has a history borne out of our friendship on the now-defunct GalooBB. We came here as refugees in a way, and I wonder how many of us would actually be here if the GalooBB was still active and Galoob still an indep' Company to Hasbro. (no disrespect to SS or any others)

I don't think we've really set a precedent, if we took the pee, I'm sure the crackdown would happen.

I'm not one of those professional surfers; a member of every SW forum etc, so this little one is v important to me. The only other forums I regularly visit are GenDisc and Other Films, but a lot of those threads I can't read because being in the yUK, we're about twelve and a half years behind you guys. Besides, if I posted every idiosyncratic notion I had in GenDisc, I'm sure the consensus would be; "so, yeah, and?" :D whereas here they're used to my babble.

As far as the CB goes, I am over it too, so no harm done. I realise as you have that there are certain things that won't change and I'm not going to waste my energy on a crusade.

jeddah
p.s I hate my Fullscreen VHS :(

EDIT: Dayum GSJ, how'd ya sneak your post in B4 me! :confused:

JediTricks
11-14-2002, 05:31 PM
QLD, every section runs differently even though they all have to obey basic rules (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/misc.php?s=&action=myrules). "Customizing" is a section that is very technical in nature, "Just Found" requires a set of guidelines that wouldn't even apply to other sections, yet "Movies-Other" allows discussions about DVD basics, TV shows on DVD, and other somewhat off-topic stuff. I've discussed this with SirSteve in the past, the MM section was a specific conversation that's been cleared up.

jeddah is correct about the hidden nature and voting people in of the CB forum differentiating the issue from the MM forum - the "community factor" in here isn't about keeping people out, it's about welcoming people in while enjoying our little corner of Star Wars. People in the MM forum aren't sitting around kvetching about other forumites they don't like, plotting ways to mess with them and make them look foolish - that is a big difference between "clique" and "community".

LTBasker
11-14-2002, 06:26 PM
JT, you added to the Cell Block "clique" also.

There is also a big difference between the MM forum and CB, the Cell Block is a private forum for those who can find it or were invited in (from what I saw from when I enjoyed to now, there was no voting) but the MM forum is a basic forum which does have a set of guidelines for following. Now the Cell Block does too but it's like Seinfeld, it's about nothing.

There was no reason to bring Cell Block into this anyways. Theres an obvious set of guidelines for this forum and avoiding those shows biasedness. I'm not accusing you of being biased but I'm just saying that's how it can look.

Edit: Just wanted to add that this is the only thing I'm adding to this argument because it doesn't need to be long and drawn-out like the last CB argument thread.

Edit Again: Sorry, just noticed an error. That one line should be "(from what I saw from when I joined to now". Sorry for that mix up.

Nexu
11-14-2002, 06:41 PM
There certainly was voting. Would like me to look it up?

Nexu
11-14-2002, 07:01 PM
Found it. For all of you that said that there wasn't voting: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8989&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 that whole thread, especially this post (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=113118#post113118), and the one after it.

Beast
11-14-2002, 07:09 PM
You sure love to start trouble, don't you Nexu. Weren't you leaving or somthing? If you will realize why the idea of invites was brought up, it was due to the more adult brand of humor that was allowed there. You wouldn't want young children exposed to those sorts of things would you. Or don't you understand that. I don't see you posting invites to your lil christian club forums that is a hidden area on another forums. Could it be that you don't want people that wouldn't understand, or would cause trouble there to be admitted. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
11-14-2002, 07:17 PM
http://www.aodmeagain.com/forums/
Direct friggin link. Hidden? Nope. They were, but then I realized something like this would come up. Posting invites? I would like to, but it isn't allowed. According to JT, that's advertising, and that isn't allowed.
Adult humor? That's why they were taking votes. :rolleyes:

Beast
11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Why do you think there was mention of placing a "Parental Advisory" on the Cellblock in the same thread. Or do you just pick out the parts of the argument that support your opinion. Maybe actually take the time to realize, that the section was devised as a place where people with strange senses of humor could just enjoy themselves. Outside of the PG rated section of the forums. If you would read the threads, instead of looking for the one that was asking for suggestions who to invite that would appreciate the place, you might realize these things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
11-14-2002, 07:32 PM
OK, let me clarify. I am obviously not coing across clearly. I don't want to get into a heated argument over this, so let's both calm down, it really isn't worth it.
The is a section dedicated to those with a "different" sense of humor. I see that as a sort of club house, or a clique.
People were saying that there was no voting going on, or anything to that effect. I just showed you an example of voting. It is voting a member in, I don't see that it matters for what purpose. You and others were saying that voting didn't happen, and I just gave an example where it did.

Beast
11-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Let me clarify somthing for you. That isn't an example of voting, there was no actual voting. All that was was an attempt to find people with similar tastes in humor that would appreciate it. There were invites going on since the beginning of the cellblock's existance, long before I even joined. It's not like that is actual voting. It's searching for people with similar senses of humor that would enjoy the place, and liven it up. Hell, it anything it was an informal poll to find new people. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
11-14-2002, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Polls involve voting though. ;) :p

Beast
11-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Note the word, informal. As long as people thought the person was a good addition, it didn't need to be even discussed. I know, I sent invites to 2 people without asking.

Look, I'm sick of the discussion. There was already a huge fight over this, which was a ton of BS. You don't need to attempt to start another one, ok. So drop it. Everyone is sick of it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
11-14-2002, 07:49 PM
Yeah, w/e. I'm done discussing it too.

jobi
11-14-2002, 08:12 PM
Nexu is the king of "the last word"

hehehe

Nexu
11-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Says who? ;)

vulcantouch
11-14-2002, 09:49 PM
judicious moderatordom is more art than science. which makes gsj a kind of artist. so since i've a talent for critiquing, perhaps gsj won't mind if i shed some interpretive light on his "art" for all you unwashed ignoranimus bumpkins ;) (and of course gsj's free to disavow my interp if i'm off target :stupid: ):
i never cared one way or other about cellblock or the controversy around it. (what i'm Really dyin to see is what you mods been sayin bout me in yer secret mods-only clubhouse :evil: ) i also don't buy into the "galoobb refugee" reasoning some of my pals here may use, as that typically leads to a needlessly cliquish ghettoization mentality.
my immersion in other sections is not nearly so thorough as here (i read Everything in the mm forum), so i'll have to take yalls word for it that moderation's handled somewhat different here than other sections. if so i'd justify those differences two ways:
1: context is crucial. it's my understanding that, since mms are currently in a coma (but even before they were), this section's not nearly so trafficked as, say, "saga" or "general". rampant jaywalkin wouldn't be as big a problem at midnight in boogers, vermont than, say, rush-hour manhattan or the pch. because of mm's smaller, more familiar, more proven base of regulars a looser mod style has consistently worked here. as a VeTeran troublemaker i've observed that no one's ever successfully whipped the mm section out of control. that's partly cuz our audience is smaller (which makes it less worthwhile for a troublemaker lookin for attention), but also cuz we regulars help police the forum ourselves by setting the loose & frosty tone here. we've demonstrated we can be trusted but at the same time no one's gonna outkid us kidders :crazed: when it comes to policing behavior, the least restrictive but still practical standard should prevail.
2: because mms are in a coma there simply isn't as much fresh mmeat here for us to chew over these days (no new mms, no new dcs, limited new afs). does this mean the chewin should stop, or slow to a crawl by stickin to a strict diet of purely on-topic crumbs? no, cuz since the demise of galoob.com this forum is the most viable place on the net to maintain a cohesive mm-collector community. it's where we regulars can keep the flame of caMMeraderie alive through fallow periods like this, so long-lost galoob vets can drop by from time to time to see if there's news. orphan newbies can similarly happen upon this place anytime & be pleasantly surprised to find a little life in the joint, & maybe become regulars themselves as a result. it also provides an ideal war room for campaigns such as jt's thousand-name petition for hasbro to revive mms. if some off-topic chatter helps further those worthwhile ends, it's worth it :cool:
so i think gsj's judgment call's a sound one, but i also don't mind qld et al raising quextions cuz that gives me occasion for more off-topic, bracingly clear-minded windbagging :happy:

jt: "People on the MM forum aren't sitting around kvetching about other forumites they don't like, plotting ways to mess with them and make them look foolish"
-you say that like it would be a Bad thing :rolleyes: (pssst to yall-know-who-you-are; hide our insidious plots & plans for "operation mess-foolish" afore jt sees em :sur: )
vt

jobi
11-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Says who? ;)

Told you.

I thought you were leaving.:D :crazed: :D

Nexu
11-14-2002, 10:36 PM
Don't start that again. ;) I'm leaving after the new features are released.

good shot jansen
11-15-2002, 11:11 AM
back in the daze of the buzz, there was a thread which ran rampant (much along the lines if you combined the cb with the gd), called the toonto thread. (to open or not to open).

it got whacked outta joint along the way, and became a free fer all, the likes that make the squabbles here at ssg seem extrememly tiny.

pretty much the shennanigans were kept to the confines of toonto itself, but every so often, it would creep up the ladder of other theads and rear it's silly head to stir commotion in other threads. usually followed by a flurry of posts admonishing the toontoites to git back to their own thread, and leave the other threads toonto free.

this is kinda the case here.

i don't mind discussions veering off target and taking some other course, that's fine, but please do not bring with you the baggage from some other sections thread, particularly one which has been raging on for some time.

stay and hang, and enjoy the mm section, i welcome all of you to do that, but some of what has been posted here cuts extrememly close to the following prohibited type actions

vendetta posting (following a forumite into other discussion threads and continuing the argument)

thread takeovers (posting over and over about your argument without letting others get their say)

getting back to the topic at hand

when i 1st saw that hasbro was planning a hailfire action fleet toy, i didin't think that it would translate well into the af format, but after now seeing the aotc dvd, the hailfire droids are amazing (i didn't rmemeber seeing them so cleanly and clearly in the theater), it would make a great action fleet. better yet, it would be one of the coolest mm's if hasbro ever decides to make those again.

LTBasker
11-15-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by good shot jansen
when i 1st saw that hasbro was planning a hailfire action fleet toy, i didin't think that it would translate well into the af format, but after now seeing the aotc dvd, the hailfire droids are amazing (i didn't rmemeber seeing them so cleanly and clearly in the theater), it would make a great action fleet. better yet, it would be one of the coolest mm's if hasbro ever decides to make those again.

Oh yeah, they could even easily make a concealed cockpit for a Battle Droid or something judging by the size. If done right it could work. Don't think they could do the huge wheels too well so I think they could just put tread details on the outside of the wheel and then on the bottom put wheels that blend in with the treads.

Dunno about a missile firing feature on it though, maybe removeable missiles would be good so it doesn't require huge out of scale turrets?

Wasn't that big Spider droid rumored also? Judging by the size from the documentary with the speederbike Clone (that needs to be in a Geonosis Battle Pack) it could also be put into AF form very well and for extra play have an open bubble cockpit on it without ruining detail. Considering they were able to get moving legs on the AT-TE AF, they could put swivel articulation for "walking" action on the Spider droid.

britcit3
11-15-2002, 11:31 AM
Hi guys

Is the Hailfire droid definately confirmed?

And if so - any pics?

Cheers

BC3

good shot jansen
11-15-2002, 01:03 PM
i havn't seen a confirmation, definately no pics. as for the missles, it's not important that they fire. case in point would be the drop ship from aliens. the cluster of missles that flip out beneath the forward wings don't fire, yet my son (and me) love playing with that thing, and pretending that the missles all do fire. i like the detail that they used on it, they could do the same kind of thing for the hail fire.

JediTricks
11-16-2002, 01:06 AM
I'd be up for a Hailfire droid for AF or 4" figures. But if the missiles don't fire (which would be good), then removable missiles would be nice, or at least don't have a hollow open end, I hate that. I think they should do it like the AF Droid Fighter, no cockpit or extra features, just include a good design and a lower-end bad guy figure.

Hawkwind
11-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know if the at-te is relesaed in england yet and the rehshed battlepacks.
Looking on the entertainer website thev'e got the 3 re-hashes at 15 pound :-(

jeddah
11-17-2002, 03:09 PM
...I dunno, whilst I constantly knock the guppy at any given opportunity, the gyro-cockpit part was realsied very well and solidly.

I think Hasbro could possibly make us proud with the HFD if they were to employ the same expertise responsible for Anakin's PR, the guppy cockpit and the TF Droid S/F...... :)

jeddah