PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen / Fullscreen DVD / VHS availability

JON9000
11-12-2002, 10:44 AM
I went out to get AOTC at midnight last night only to be cruelly tricked! They could not find the Widescreen version of the movies. I had to go all the way across town to another Wal-Mart to get it. They had them marked at $9.97 to ccompete with TRU. That was kinda cool. It was so late, I could only watch a couple of featurettes and the deleted scenes. Cool!

bobafett07728
11-12-2002, 02:18 PM
Did they even bother to produce this? I picked up the Widescreen DVD this morning, but was upset to see that TRU only had Full Screen VHS. After searching the web, I still couldn't find a widescreen VHS. Does anyone out there no if there is a Widescreen version out there?

Beast
11-12-2002, 03:17 PM
I don't think they are going to do a Widescreen VHS. It makes sense, since most people that are Widescreen fans have moved on to DVD by now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
11-12-2002, 03:21 PM
I was just going to ask the same question, and also is the Fullscreen DVD of both Eps I and II going to be hard to come by because all I saw on Monday was The Widescreen DVD and the Fullscreen VHS.

Sidiously Darth
11-12-2002, 05:04 PM
The WM I went to last night was having the same problem until they found the case w/ the widescreen versions in the back. Just shows that not all WMs had their act together.:rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2002, 09:28 PM
Wow, that sucks. This should be in the AOTC section though.

Dar' Argol
11-12-2002, 09:42 PM
Yeah, this need to go in the Movie section, not the figure section. Moving it now;)

Jedi Clint
11-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Merged all movie availability topics into one thread regardless of format.

derek
11-12-2002, 10:06 PM
i went to wal-mart this morning, and all they had were the full screen DVD's. the electronics manager was not happy about that. what i was really suprised about is there was no big star wars display. an employee actually had to show me where the episode 2 dvd was. spiderman still has a huge display up. either fox, or walmart screwed up on this one.

ChemOx
11-13-2002, 01:21 PM
if at all possible.....you should take the TRU add to Best buy and get it there for 9.99.....you also get a free Star Wars calendar. Did it yesterday and have to say it was one hell of a deal!!

El Chuxter
11-13-2002, 02:15 PM
My Wal-Mart had plenty of WS DVD's in the morning, and five in the evening. And only a small handful of fullscreen had sold. Hopefully this will tell Fox and WM something.

JediTricks
11-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by ChemOx
if at all possible.....you should take the TRU add to Best buy and get it there for 9.99.....you also get a free Star Wars calendar. Did it yesterday and have to say it was one hell of a deal!! Best Buy refused to price-match the widescreen DVD for me yesterday, I went to 2 different BBs for this and even though it's a nationwide ad, they wouldn't go for it because the closest TRUs were sold out of widescreen DVDs and their ad had "while supplies last" on the bottom. TRU, Kmart, and other stores in my area were completely out of Widescreen DVDs by 2pm, some never even got widescreen copies in so that totally sucked.

BoShek
11-13-2002, 09:42 PM
I went to K Mart and all they had were full. How "rare" are the widescreens?

Beast
11-13-2002, 09:49 PM
They aren't rare, just stores like K-Mart and Wal-Mart cater to P&S folk, so they typically order less or none of the Widescreen Versions. Typically, it's best if there are dual format releases, to go to a place like Best Buy, who caters more to DVD customers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
11-14-2002, 07:51 AM
I guess my local Wal-Mart received more WS versions than PS (Pan-Scan) versions, or just sold way to many PS versions, as all they had left yesterday was the WS DVD. What got me was as I walked by the display, there was the red-neck woman throwing a fit about no PS versions. She griping to her man (who she was twice the size of), " I hate that Wide Screen Bull***t, that's why I hate DVD's. Just buy the tape!" I just shook my head and kept walking. Like I've said before- The only reason to buy PS is if you have a 19" TV or smaller. And if you only have a 19" TV, why do you have a DVD player before a better TV? Either that, or you're watching your movies with you head up your @$$.

=MATT=

Beast
11-14-2002, 02:17 PM
She's damn lucky that I wasn't walking by when she said that. I don't just walk by and hold my tongue anymore. I figure that maybe thru the frustration I can enlighten people. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. By the way, I use a 19" TV at the moment. My 27" blew up, and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
11-16-2002, 09:34 AM
If I didn't have a DVD player and still had to buy the VHS of Attack Of The Clones, I would be soooo angry!

Nobody has seemed to say much about it yet, probably because we've all got DVD players, but they've only released it in Fullscreen, I would have hated that! And I do feel really, really sorry for the people who only have videos and only like Widescreen!

Are there any plans to release a Widescreen video?

Beast
11-16-2002, 12:10 PM
I doubt that there will be a Widescreen VHS release, if we haven't gotten one by now. Mostly everyone that cares about OAR has moved on to DVD. And the players are fairly cheap right now, so there really isn't an excuse not to get one. With tape being so near death, your lucky that there was a VHS release at all. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-16-2002, 03:37 PM
I'll be urinated if we don't get a VHS of Episode III, because I need it to finish my P&S VHS collection, with the 2000 rerererelease of the OT.

Jek Porky 2002
11-16-2002, 04:21 PM
Me too.

Hey did anyone notice that with most releases, on the adverts, they say on DVD and Video, but with AOTC, they just said available on DVD, god, it's really dying out know, and to think that only 3 years ago you could only get it on Video!

kdp100
11-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Mostly everyone that cares about OAR has moved on to DVD. And the players are fairly cheap right now, so there really isn't an excuse not to get one.

DVD players ARE getting cheaper, but they're still a considerable expense for many people.

I watch TV through a 14" PC monitor (no space in my flat for anything bigger), but I wish that if the VHS release was made available in just one format then it had been a widecreen version! This would've matched the TPM release and those of us who have only VHS would be able to see the WHOLE film.

I'm not bothered at this stage about what format Ep3 will be released in as I probably WILL have DVD by then.

2-1B
11-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Well, the TPM release was widely Fullscreen too, you had to buy the collector set to get the Widescreen.

I don't think there would have been a Widescreen TPM if they would have released the DVD right away. :)