PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Scenes From The Ring

James Boba Fettfield
11-12-2002, 05:23 PM
I found this at bloody disgusting's site.

Two dropped scenes were revealed today by Chris Cooper, the original opening and ending to the exceedingly popluar The Ring.......

Sci-Fi talked with Chris Cooper about some scenes he shot that were removed from the final cut..

"Chris Cooper told SCI FI Wire that he acted in two scenes in the supernatural thriller film The Ring, but that the scenes were deleted during the test-screening process. "It was what they call a bookend," Cooper said in an interview. "I opened the movie and closed the movie. It was two scenes, and I was a serial rapist or a murderer who deserved everything that was coming to him. Because [Naomi Watts' character] was a journalist, I was trying to convince her that I had found God and I had straightened my ways and rehabilitated myself. I was looking for an out, and she didn't buy it, correctly so. Then in the tail end, she pays me a visit and gives me the tape."

"The film as released ends ambiguously. Cooper said his bookends caused too many questions in test screenings. "What I hear is when they ran the screenings, it was more a disruption than anything. They said, 'Well, where's Cooper? We want to see more of him.' So they cut it all."

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=778&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Beast
11-12-2002, 05:44 PM
I'm glad they cut it out. It gets the film off to a quick start, and also ends the the film more mysteriously. I much prefer not having it all tied up with a cute little bow. Leave us the mystery as to who is she going to give the tape to, so that her son doesn't die. Especially since she's seen what the girl does to the people she kills. Hopefully they will include the cut footage on the DVD in the Deleted Scenes. But I am extremely happy they went with the bolder ending of not wrapping things up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
11-13-2002, 02:01 PM
I agree. Although it would have been cool to see Chris Cooper. He rocks! I remember his performance as July Johnson in Lonesome Dove almost 15 years ago and I've been a fan ever since. Lonestar was excellent! (But this isn't a Cooper fangush, it's about the Ring, so....)

SQueek
11-14-2002, 11:21 AM
i loved the movie and ill see the dvd before i decide of i think they made the right decision on cuts

Eternal Padawan
03-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Apparently, they didn't stick these on the DVD. Did they?

2-1B
03-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Chris Cooper DOES rock, and I'm ashamed to admit that I can't remember him from Lonesome Dove. I have the DVD, so that's getting bumped up on my "to watch" list.

EP, have you seen Matewan? That's the movie during which I really took note of Cooper. :)

Chris was left off of the DVD from what I could tell by my brief rental. I do wish they would have left the scene of the Cabin manager in the canoe, I think it would have made it even more chilling without being too "slasher"-ish . . . oh well.

mylow thehutt
03-10-2003, 07:57 PM
wait I'm confused a searial rapist, what!? some one please explane in english.

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2003, 08:10 PM
What the director is saying is that he shot two scenes, in which he portrayed a serial rapist. The first scene would open the film, and the final scene would close the film. Cooper says that since Watts character is a journalist, she conducts an interview with a serial rapist to start off the film. The audience is let on to her distast for this serial rapist. Then at the end of the film, Watts character visits the serial rapist again, and she gives him the infamous tape, thus he would probably die from viewing the tape. That's what the scenes are about.

2-1B
03-11-2003, 01:38 AM
. . . thus leaving it resolved at the end of the movie since the criminal would not have copied the tape and passed it on. With his death, that particular tape would be "satisfied" so to speak. :D

Eternal Padawan
03-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
wait I'm confused a searial rapist, what!? some one please explane in english.

A rapist is someone who rapes. A serial rapist is someone who rapes over and over again. I am not going to explain rape, except to say that it is evil.

mylow thehutt
03-12-2003, 07:45 AM
I know what rape is,I have cable, I just didn't know what the secens were about but now I know.

SQueek
03-12-2003, 01:02 PM
so any one has looked at the DVD cover it claims to have a special film revealing more ring secrets, well barely. what it is a all the deleted/extended scenes(not the one discussed in this thread though!) but its cut in with parts of the samara film. its kinda creepy, original and what not but id rather they did it just like every other DVD with a list to choose from.

like i keep reading is that later they will release another bigger DVD im sure they will add all of the cut scenes and probably lay them out the correct way too.

Eternal Padawan
03-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
I know what rape is. I have cable.

I think I just found a new siganture line. :p

Old Fossil
03-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I think I just found a new siganture line. :p

Man that's the funniest thing I've read at SSG in a long, long time.:crazed:

Anakin2121
03-21-2003, 07:03 AM
All that was available for me to watch was a VHS rental copy. After the credits, they showed a random jumble of deleted scenes.
In one of them, they showed some kind of alternate ending, where we're shown the innards of a video rental store like Blockbuster, and The Tape is sitting on a shelf labeled "Employee's Top Choices" or something like that. :eek: