PDA

View Full Version : FOTR Extended Edition- review it!

JON9000
11-12-2002, 11:36 PM
I am curious about the extended cut of the film. It was released at the same time AOTC was at Wal-Mart. they only had the gift pack. Anyway, I am curious about the cut scenes added in. Do they enrich the movie, or do they make it just too darn long? What's been put in that you like, and is there anything you think should have remained on the cutting room floor?

derek
11-12-2002, 11:51 PM
i found the box set today, and i'm glad the boodends have some weight to them. i was afraid they would be light and unable to actually "bookend" anything.

jar jar will be here with his review after he finishes the episode 2 audio commentary.;)

Beast
11-13-2002, 12:01 AM
I haven't watched it yet, since I am on the computer. I'm just running the South Park episodes in the background right now. But from everything I have read, it really helps to flesh the film out. We get to know the charecters a bit more, now that we have time to explore who they are and their relationships. I would definatly say that it's better then the basic version. I will be able to offer more after I can sit down and watch it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
11-13-2002, 12:04 PM
I've not had a chance to actually watch it, but the two discs of extras look (from the listing of them) like they're worth the cost alone. I went with the collector's set, since it's only $20 more than the regular extended version, and includes the expanded National Geographic dealio. Plus a free Two Towers movie ticket, a $10 rebate (if you got the earlier version as well), and those cool statues! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
11-13-2002, 03:28 PM
I haven't even opened mine up yet due to watching the EP2 disc instead, but I'm really looking forward to it. I like that PJ put these deleted scenes back into the movie, but I wish there was an option to toggle them on or off like in the X-Men DVD.

Chuxie, where did you find the gift set for so cheap? I'm assuming you got it for $45 because WM was selling the 4-disc set for $25. Target had it for $70 I think.

Beast
11-13-2002, 03:57 PM
MC, the ammount of minute changes to sections of the film, would make it a pain to have both the theatrical and extended cuts on the same disc. Some of the changes are mere seconds. That's why they did seperate theatrical and extended releases. :)

Best Buy had the Gift Set on sale for only $49.99. Then take off the $10.00 rebate, if you purchesed the original 2-disc version. And then with the free pass to TTT and it's really a pretty good deal. Plus the bookends are kewl. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
11-13-2002, 04:37 PM
Sorry, MC--I meant $20 more than the list price on the "basic" version ($29.99). It was $49.99 at Best Buy, but I had to go to two different BB's to get it.

Darth Cruel
11-14-2002, 09:48 AM
I bought and watched the long version on the 12th and , for me, the additions to the existing scenes and the added scenes gave to a movie that was nearly impossible to improve.

Every 5 minutes from the opening voice over describing the Rings history, nearly to the end of the movie, the scenes are either lengthened, or new scenes are added in. Unfortunately, we also lose a few unimportant bits as well.

I don't believe that the additions give us any more insight as to the disposition of any of the characters, but some of them serve to reiterate certain character traits. And at the very least they add some fun to the movie (once again...not that it needed it, but it is great just the same).

I am loathe to go into detail about the changes, but with a spoiler warning I will touch on some of the smaller ones that stand out to me (there are too many to remember them all after one showing) and were not mentioned a lot before the release.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

When the movie starts with the voice over, as they get to the part where Isildur is floating dead in the water and they show the ring sinking to the bottom of the river, they expand the scene to show him use the ring to turn invisible after being knocked from his horse. He jumps into the water and then the ring betrays him by slipping from his finger and the goblins kill him as he is in the water.

Then we jump to Durin's Door where there is a little added footage of Gandalf's almost comical attempts to open the door with magic and threatening to use Pippin to beat the door open because Pippin asked him what he was going to do then. I got a chuckle out of that. And soon after in Moria when Gandalf and Frodo are speaking about Gollum, it is added in that Gandalf tells Frodo Gollums real name.

And then I will jump to the end of the movie where The Fellowship stops on the bank of the river and Boromir spots Gollum on a log in the water. Unimportant to the overall story, but a very nice addition just the same.

These are just a small example of the many scenes that were expanded in small ways. They added in so many of them that it is difficult for a person to rely on their memory of the movie. So if you have not watched it yet...I think you will enjoy it more if you do not try to see the added footage...just watch it as if it were the first time.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-14-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
MC, the ammount of minute changes to sections of the film, would make it a pain to have both the theatrical and extended cuts on the same disc. Some of the changes are mere seconds. That's why they did seperate theatrical and extended releases. :)

Best Buy had the Gift Set on sale for only $49.99. Then take off the $10.00 rebate, if you purchesed the original 2-disc version. And then with the free pass to TTT and it's really a pretty good deal. Plus the bookends are kewl. :)

Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait until I bust it open and watch it this weekend.

JJB, I was thinking that having the option of toggling the extra scenes out would be ideal in the case where one would want to watch the movie, but not have to sit through another 30 min of extra footage AND not have to buy a totally separate DVD to do it. It works well in the X-Men DVD, but that may be due to the extra scenes being significantly longer than a few seconds.

Regardless, it's nice that PJ was willing to do that for the fans. I would be nice if more directors and producers who made books into movies were as considerate to their hard-core fans.

scruffziller
11-14-2002, 01:52 PM
I went to my WAL MART to buy EPS2 at about 5:30 AM 11/12 and also was putting the FOTR gift set on layaway because us employees get a 20% discount next week (at out store anyway).
I thought about not holding it on layaway and just let them sit on the shelf and grab it later. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I put it on layaway. There 4 gift sets and 2 4-disk sets left after I took mine. Last night I went to check to see how many were left. THEY WERE ALL GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every last one.

icatch9
11-14-2002, 02:24 PM
I had some trouble finding the set with the bookends. I was hesitant to spend $70, but with the $10 rebate from the first DVD it's not to bad.

I like this version a bit more. It meshes a bit better with the book (still the book has tons more stuff in it and there are still differences, but that doesn't matter). I liked the sceens they added. They raised the bar for all DVD's. Deleted sceens are for chump movies. LOTR changed the movie for it's DVD. I hope other movies of the same caliber take a que from LOTR and Peter Jackson. Give the fans what they want!

I don't know if the $70 it for the bookends unless you have a cool place to display them, but $25 for the 4 disk set is so worth it you'd be silly not to buy it!!

scruffziller
11-18-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
I had some trouble finding the set with the bookends. I was hesitant to spend $70, but with the $10 rebate from the first DVD it's not to bad.

I like this version a bit more. It meshes a bit better with the book (still the book has tons more stuff in it and there are still differences, but that doesn't matter). I liked the sceens they added. They raised the bar for all DVD's. Deleted sceens are for chump movies. LOTR changed the movie for it's DVD. I hope other movies of the same caliber take a que from LOTR and Peter Jackson. Give the fans what they want!

I don't know if the $70 it for the bookends unless you have a cool place to display them, but $25 for the 4 disk set is so worth it you'd be silly not to buy it!!

Wow that is alot for it. Where were you buying it? It was only like 49.99 at Wal Mart. With out my 20% discount

Mandalorian Candidat
11-18-2002, 02:14 PM
I watched some of the disc 3 material Sat. night and was really impressed. You can watch all the video features in one fell swoop or pick and choose the different features.

My fav so far is the pre-viz storyboard of the prologue (opening narrative). It was a nice alternative to the actual prologue even though most of it was just sketches. So far I would vote this set the best in my collection with EP1&2 a very close second.

robman71
11-19-2002, 12:40 PM
I finally finished watching the extended edition last night and overall I thought that the added scenes were great. They added far more to an already great story and made many of the plot lines mesh better with the books. I do have a question however about the gift giving scene:

Spoilers Below:

When Galadriel gave Sam his gift (rope) I noticed that she did not give him the box of earth from her garden as she did in the book. This leads me to believe that the homecoming scenes and Frodo's departure at the Grey Havens will either be cut entirely or shortened a great deal. (In the book, two years passed between the Battle of Bywater and Frodo's departure). Any thoughts from Rings fans out there.

Darth Cruel
11-19-2002, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't dare to try to guess what PJ has in store for the ending. There is, however, no doubt that it will be great!

dr_evazan22
11-19-2002, 06:58 PM
I picked up both the AOTC and the 4 disc FOTR (priced at 14.97 and 23.97 respectively) and didn't watch FOTR until this past Sat.

As Darth Cruel already said, it was a great movie before. Having known what was in it, then watching what was added, it increased my enjoyment by leaps and bounds. I haven't yet gotten to the 2 bonus discs.

If you haven't seen the extended version, buy or rent it!

I can only hope that after E3 George decides to do something similar for the entire series.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2002, 10:13 AM
You bring up something interesting about the LOTR ending, robman. I've been wondering the same thing myself on exactly where the ending will be.

SPOILERS

Will PJ end the story with everyone united back at Minas Tirith or will he end it up with the ring bearers and Gandalf taking off for the land of the immortals? Since he has to keep both the fans and general audience in mind what will be the best way to wrap things up?

Personally I would hope, either in the theatrical version and/or conceivably in a future extended DVD set, he would show the ending written by Tolkien.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-26-2002, 02:56 PM
I finished watching the PJ+writers commentary last night and was really impressed. They did a great job describing much of the behind-the-scenes material like Viggo M. being shot in profile for much of the Moria scenes due to getting a black eye while surfing and Christopher Lee's bandaged hand.

One thing that stood out was during the mirror of Galadriel scene. PJ mentions that they show the scouring of the Shire in that scene as an homage to Tolkein because they weren't going to show it in RotK. Perhaps the ending will occur very differently than in the book.

Beast
11-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Yeah, one of the other commentaries mentions the same. Apperantly they realized that there was no time for to actually have the scouring of the shire happen in RotK. I don't mind though, since film is a different medium then books. Whatever works best, and stays true to Tolkien's vision is what's important. Besides, who wants to sit thru 5 hour long movies. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
11-26-2002, 04:18 PM
I picked up the collector's box, and I must say that its my favorite DVD. I think that this is the best DVD ever. It has pretty much everything one could want.

Did anyone else find the MTV parody with Jack Black? Its drop dead hilarious. It was the scene they showed at the movie awards last year. They also have the Two Towers trailer that appeared at the end of FOTR at the end of its theatrical run. Very cool.

Spoilers Below:

From what I read, because they won't do the ending Shire scene, they kill of Saruman at the end of TT instead of letting him live like in the books. So if Saruman dies, there won't be a reason to do the scouring of the Shire.

Beast
11-26-2002, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I found the MTV awards thing. Pretty damn funny, and the blending of Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Geller is seemless. It's hilarious as hell seeing him jump around with his pants around his ankles, trying to get the One Ring off his "little hobbit". Funny, in a disturbing way. Especially when Aragorn kneels infront of Jack. :D

Spoilers Follow:

Yep, they filmed three different deaths for him for TTT. I believe the one that they ended up going with has Wormtongue betraying him and shoving him over the edge of a tower. He falls to his death, impaled on a spike. His palantir then rolls out of his hand, and is recovered by Sam, I believe. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar binks

Mandalorian Candidat
11-26-2002, 10:05 PM
I was so disgusted with the Jack Black parody. Very crude. However, I did like the Gimli/Rob Zombie beard reference.

I haven't found the Two Towers trailer. Where exactly is it?

Beast
11-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I haven't found the Two Towers trailer. Where exactly is it?
Here's both Disc 1 and Disc 2, for those that don't know. :)

Disc One:
On Disc one is a pretty funny spoof of the Council of Elrond scene with Jack Black and Sarah Michelle Gellar from the MTV Movie Awards. Go to the last page of the scene selection menu, and select "The Council of Elrond". Then press your down arrow on your remote to highlight a Ring symbol. Press Enter now to play the clip.

Disc Two:
On Disc two, is the 4 minute sneak peek trailer for TTT that was added to the end of the theatrical showings of FOTR. Again go to the last page of the scene selection menu, and select the "48" on the far right of the menu. Press down on your remote, to highlight a Two Towers symbol. Press Enter now to play the preview.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Found it last night on dvdeastereggs.com. Nice little extra. I feel sorry for those who really wanted to buy this set but couldn't afford it or whose wives wouldn't let them. :) It's such a great set. Can't wait till the TT set.

JON9000
11-29-2002, 02:02 PM
No scouring of the Shire? That's a downer. I found it to be a very important part of the story. It shows how the characters have grown through their journey. I can understand why, I guess. It is a coda and a rather long one at that, but I just loved it in the book so much... :(

robman71
12-02-2002, 09:08 AM
As far as the ending goes, I would think that we would see something end either in the Shire or near the Shire (the Grey Havens), as they introduced the character of Rosie Cotton in the first movie and mentioned Sam's infatuation with her. Upon further review, this leads me to believe that they will indeed end with something happening in the Shire. Any further thoughts???

Mandalorian Candidat
12-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Once I read the books I thought the ending was really anticlimactic since the whole book is about chucking the ring into Mt. Doom, IMO. The more I think about it, I do like the idea of the Hobbits giving Saruman and Wormie the smackdown and sailing off into the sunset.

However, I don't think it'll really happen that way since the scouring will not be shown and there really hasn't been any mention of Greyhavens or Elves leaving Middle-earth in the theatrical version of FOTR except for a few seemingly insignificant lines uttered by Elrond and Galadriel. Rosie Cotton also wasn't prominent at all in FOTR. Just a shot of Sam checking her out and dancing with her at BB's par-tay. She does have that other cameo at the pub, but that's practically nothing.

All this talk of the LOTR ending makes me anticipate it more than EP3.