PDA

View Full Version : Archival Editions, the next DVD of the same Star Wars movie?

Tycho
11-13-2002, 02:48 AM
OK, there have been rumors of "archival editions" of TPM and AOTC.

I just bought the darn DVD for Clones, and I love it, but that's one more point of the values of DVD's - they save space that VHS cassettes don't.

But that goes out the window when there becomes 3 or more versions.

Yes, out of the deleted scenes in AOTC, the scenes in Padme's home SHOULD'VE been restored into the film to help the love story along. (Like Lap 2's expanded footage was added to the Podrace).

The conference with Dooku and the Trial should've also been added in.

AOTC's cut scenes are far more important to the story than TPM's!

Maybe the Senate scene too, even - with some adjustment (like leave out Mas Ameeda's tongue trick).

Meanwhile, in TPM, the only thing that should be put into the film (that wasn't) is the scene where Qui-Gon cuts down the probe droid, which explains why they are already running back toward their ship when Darth Maul attacks them on Tatooine. (They can cut the part with Old Jira out, and just start the scene with the droid zooming in).

Are my favorite pet changes to the films worth paying the price of buying them AGAIN? Is it worth having multiple copies of a non-degradable DVD?

Aren't we all more interested in having Episode THREE, and 4, 5, and 6 on DVD rather than 1 and 2 again?

How many versions of even Three, 4, 5, and 6 will be tolerable?

I needed to vent. What are your feelings on this?

Beast
11-13-2002, 03:05 AM
I like the idea of releasing the Theatrical Version on DVD first, and then releasing the Extended Special Edition. They should have done that with The Phantom Menace. Saved the extended edition for the Archival Editions. LOTR's is an excellent example for what Lucas should have done for the films. 2-disc theatrical basic edition, and then a 3 or 4 disc Special Edition with more in depth features. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-13-2002, 04:36 AM
What rumors ? I haven't heard anything . . . how serious are they?

Tycho
11-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Seriously annoying...

I have 3 different copies of the Classic Trilogy on VHS.

Original release (Hi-Fi stereo)
THX surround-sound improvements (Target's "head sets")
Special Edition Widescreens

If I wanted, I could have had at least 2 more editions I think: Special Edition (pan-scans), and some kind of Hi-Fi Stereo re-release from the early days of VCRs.

Plus there are Spanish subtitle versions for American release, etc.

One definitive version is all I ask for.

Sure, I might buy some changes I really want in TPM or AOTC, but I'll be giving my old DVD's away then, I suppose. No point in having several copies of the movie, especially on permanent quality DVD which lasts. You only want to watch 1 version - your favorite...

Right?

2-1B
11-13-2002, 02:20 PM
What rumors ? ? ? Are these being reported on some DVD sites ?

HUH ? ? ?

Actually no, sometimes I like to watch the SE but other times I go
the purist route . . .

Nexu
11-13-2002, 02:25 PM
No matter what, people will complain.

Beast
11-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Caesar, there has been rumors for sometime. Rick McCallum has even said that their are plans to do somthing like that for the DVD release. Plus, if you listen closely to Lucas in the E2 Documentaries, he mentions going back and tweaking Yoda from the Phantom Menace at some point. Likely that will be for the Archival Editions of the film.

And I also enjoy watching the original versions sometimes, but other times I enjoy the special edition versions of the film. So I really don't mind the idea that Lucas will tweak all the movies for the Archival Editions. Perhaps he'll decide to damn the torpedos, and restore the Padme's Family scenes to E2. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-13-2002, 02:32 PM
companies have been doing this with all sorts of films on DVD. They release a sub par, or barely passable version of the film on dvd with some interesting features, and then a year later they release a special edition "uber" disc of the same film. Get used to it...as it seems there's no end in sight.

Nexu
11-13-2002, 02:38 PM
Yep. Resident Evil's two-disc set will be awesome, but then, what was the point of releasing the first one? Same thing with LotR. Oh yeah, that's right, MONEY. :rolleyes:

Beast
11-13-2002, 02:42 PM
Not quite, TOR. Sometimes things like that happens, but not all companies do it. Plus there are some releases that have never been double-dipped. The main reason your seeing quite a few right now, is they are re-issuing the movies in Anamorphic Widescreen for 16x9 players. :)

Some movies that were released early in the life of the DVD format, need to be re-issued in new special editions. Plus take a look at the recent LOTR's: Extended Cut. You get a totally different experience, but it doesn't make the first release obsolete. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Very true. But, don't get me wrong, I really have no problem with it. The rapid growth of the technology practically demands such reissues, and besides....I usually wait a while on any DVD I wish to buy, in the event that such a thing does happen....

......ofcourse, that was not the case with my AOTC purchase ;)

Beast
11-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Yep. Resident Evil's two-disc set will be awesome, but then, what was the point of releasing the first one? Same thing with LotR. Oh yeah, that's right, MONEY. :rolleyes:
No, it wasn't money in the case of Resident Evil. The director was required to lock in the extras for the DVD, about a week after it opened in theaters. So he wasn't given time to gather as many extras as he wanted, for the DVD release as he wanted.

LOTR's is a different beast also, because Peter Jackson wanted to give fans of the film a version that included all the cut footage that brought it closer to the book versions. But they knew that the average person, they aren't going to care about all the indepth making of features that were included on the Extended Cut.

But, including the theatrical cut and the extended cut, along with 3 discs of extra stuff on the very first release would be incredibly unfair to people that don't want to pay $40-$50 for a 6 disc set of the film. Especially when they just want the movie, and could care less about the extras. Plus it gave Peter Jackson more time to prepare all the extras.

Let's also consider the fact that atleast Peter Jackson and New Line announced that there were going to be 2 versions. It's not like they were hiding that info, so that people wouldn't know they were going to be faced with having to buy the same movie again. In my opinion, LOTR's is the perfect example how to do a DVD release for a huge fan movie. Hopefully they will double-dip Harry Potter soon, so we can have a decent Special Edition. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
11-13-2002, 02:56 PM
In the case of RE, the director had plenty of time. You know that as well as I do. It all comes down to money. I understand what you mean for LotR though. $40-$50 is a little extreme.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-13-2002, 03:02 PM
I agree with you Tycho, I have my TPM and AOTC dvds now and my major priority for dvds is the Orginal Trilogy! I want that on dvd SO bad! So I'd rather see them putting more energy and resources into making the OT dvds than Ep 1 and 2....AGAIN!

Beast
11-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Nexu, read next time. They gave him a week after the film opened to record the commentary and to lock in the special features. So he had to go with what was ready, and plan for a future Special Edition. I have read the interviews with him, about how he was disapointed with the studios demands for a quick DVD release. :p :)

As for them releasing a new version of TPM and AOTC's before the OT, that isn't going to happen. The OT DVD's will be out in 2006, from what is currently being suggested. Whether they will be part of the Archival Boxset, or they will be regular versions with the Archival versions coming at a later date, is currently unknown. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
11-13-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
OK, there have been rumors of "archival editions" of TPM and AOTC.

I just bought the darn DVD for Clones, and I love it, but that's one more point of the values of DVD's - they save space that VHS cassettes don't.

But that goes out the window when there becomes 3 or more versions.

Yes, out of the deleted scenes in AOTC, the scenes in Padme's home SHOULD'VE been restored into the film to help the love story along. (Like Lap 2's expanded footage was added to the Podrace).

The conference with Dooku and the Trial should've also been added in.

AOTC's cut scenes are far more important to the story than TPM's!

Maybe the Senate scene too, even - with some adjustment (like leave out Mas Ameeda's tongue trick).

Meanwhile, in TPM, the only thing that should be put into the film (that wasn't) is the scene where Qui-Gon cuts down the probe droid, which explains why they are already running back toward their ship when Darth Maul attacks them on Tatooine. (They can cut the part with Old Jira out, and just start the scene with the droid zooming in).

Are my favorite pet changes to the films worth paying the price of buying them AGAIN? Is it worth having multiple copies of a non-degradable DVD?

Aren't we all more interested in having Episode THREE, and 4, 5, and 6 on DVD rather than 1 and 2 again?

How many versions of even Three, 4, 5, and 6 will be tolerable?

I needed to vent. What are your feelings on this?

I get a bit annoyed after buying a version of something only to see a new-improved whiz bang double-disk version released months later. Whatever the reasons for it, whether justified or not, it would be mighty white of them to offer a discount off the newer version with a trade-in of the older clunky one. For instance, my copy of The Professional is great, because the movie is awesome. But imagine my dismay when Leon: The Professional is released about 6 months after I buy mine. What a drag. Did I run out to buy the new one? Heck, no. It may fit their economic model, but it doensn't fit into mine.

Having said that, with all these "definitive" and "deluxe" editions being released, it would be super-cool to see a DVD released that was cumulative of all the versions released so far. And then literally include a menu at the top where you could check off the scenes and versions of the scenes that you wish to include in your own personal viewing environment. Not only is this suitable for Star Wars fans who wish to delete some of their pet-grudges, but it would serve as a kind of parental control so that kids could view "friendlier" versions of films created by their own parents.

Obviously, this wouldn't please too many directors, but hey, in the end this isn't art, it's just product, and if they can buy an extra villa in France or fill up their garage with the new Ferrari Modena, because more people are attracted to their product due to the "create your own" technology, then they'll stop bit**ing soon enough.

Vortex
11-13-2002, 05:02 PM
Sometimes stuff like this is a downer and I really wonder why I go see movies in a theater when they are just going to add more bits and pieces to the film later.

Granted the big screen is great for detail and there's no experience like it at home, but its starting to feel like a pre-veiw test. I get to watch some cut up, edited for time film, then if I liked it I get to buy 2-3 DVD's that have the directors cut or special edition where they tweeked out the film after it was shown or added in more scenes, plus the original theater release...which wasn't the directors vision in the 1st place...I'm starting to wonder why I bother with going to movies anymore.

I know nothing is perfect and I'm sure most directors aren't completely happy with their finished product and want to add more, artistically and creativly, but I'm tired of having to choose been all the various options.

I love the cut scenes just as much as the next guy and gal, and sometimes I do wish a DVD would just have a completly "full" version on it. Or come standard with an additional "directors" cut of the film in conjunction with the theater version. But I don't think I'll ever get my wish.

Well one thing is for sure, when they do release the 6 pack of all the star wars flicks I will be adding that to my collection of countless star wars copies, and keeping my fingers crossed that later they won't be have a special edition of the special editions...

JON9000
11-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Perhaps by the time the Archivals come out there will be another quantum leap in HT technology to warrant a completely new surround mix as an extra incentive for buying all these things again. I do so love the little nuggets of OT footage included on the AOTC disc...

Beast
11-13-2002, 05:34 PM
The CGI Yoda tests using ESB footage looks pretty good. And Frank Oz did sign off on the CGI version. So it makes me wonder if they are going to replace the puppet shots, or atleast enhance them for ESB and ROTJ. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Patient Zero
11-13-2002, 05:55 PM
It may sound strange...but I like the puppet better. Of course there are things that you can't do with it like fight scenes, but it has dimensions that cgi just has not convinced me of yet. That's just how I feel.

2-1B
11-14-2002, 03:18 AM
I prefer the puppet from ESB and ROTJ over the AOTC cgi Yoda.

BUT I prefer the AOTC cgi Yoda over the TPM puppet. :crazed:

Patient Zero
11-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Agreed Caesar. The Yoda puppet actually looks older in TPM then in ESB. Just too much decay happening. I understand that they were just trying to improve it with new puppet sculpting techniques, but it just seemed too changed.

stillakid
11-14-2002, 11:15 AM
I fourth that. Particularly for close-ups as they like to do, puppet-Yoda looks far superior. Shiny-acrylic-painting Yoda should be reserved for those long shots and action sequences. I'd like to see them re-shoot all of those terrible CU's in AOTC and replace them with the puppet. Like that'll ever happen...:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
11-17-2002, 10:32 AM
I really don't want anymore out of the prequel movies. I hope these are the only versions to come out. Everything beyond this is completely in the realm of OVERKILL. I think the Original trilogy deserves this so-called "Archival Editions" treatment for only two reasons

1) To preserve the original film for "historical" purposes.

2) To also give us the "definitive" version of the film and all of the extra goodies that are present in the current DVDs for the pre-quel trilogy.

Tycho
11-17-2002, 04:00 PM
I disagree.

In looking over the deleted scenes from the prequels, I would like certain additions to the films themselves:

On The Phantom Menace I think that half of the cut scene where Qui-Gon destroys the Sith probe droid should be added back to explain why he and Anakin were running when Maul attacks.

Jira and Anakin's dialogue need not be part of it (it wasn't that good anyway - it took away from the regret of his separation from his mother, who should be the last person he has lines with on Tatooine, from a dramatic sense).

In Attack of the Clones, the scenes with Padme's family are loved by just about everyone, and establish exactly when she actually considered being interested in Anakin enough to let him kiss her at the lake retreat. She was saying "no," but her mother and sister were interested in her saying "yes." This added to Anakin's advances, was enough to at least make her curious about the possibilities with him.

Her bedroom scene, though not necessary, added to her personality characterization. I'd take it or leave it being in the movie.

The confrontation with Dooku and Padme, as well as their trial by Poggle the Lesser are good transition scenes to establish why they are being executed in the arena. However, I agree with George that it does slow the film down there when the action and intensity has just started to really pick up. Meanwhile, you'd expect them to be convicted of something anyway, wouldn't you? There aren't a lot of humans on Geonosis.