PDA

View Full Version : I totally dig Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine) in all his SW movies!

Tycho
11-13-2002, 04:46 PM
I was just watching the "I love democracy. I love the Republic.." scene, and recalling "M'Lady, if something were to happen to you, I just don't think I could bear it." Smirk..smirk...

McDiarmid is good! No doubt there.

Since ROTJ to some of the best scenes and most important parts of TPM, to his ascendancy to true power in AOTC, Ian bridges the gaps between the Classic films and the Prequels, a real Star Wars veteran on hand to tie this thing together!

Of recurring cast members between the trilogies, only Anthony Daniels and Frank Oz make comparable contributions to both sets of films - but none with the duplicity in the performance as demonstrated by Palpatine!

Just a comment I had to make there...

"Now strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!"

Beast
11-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Agreed, Ian McDiarmid is an excellent actor in anything he does. Here's hoping that Lucas replaces the O.L.M.E Emperor in ESB with Ian for the ESB Archival Editions. Throwing in a scene of him disolving the senate in ANH's Archival Edition wouldn't hurt either. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
11-13-2002, 05:06 PM
Yeah, he's so good that I thought he was a good guy in The Phantom Menace right up until I saw his smirk as Queen Amidala called for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum :)
In Return of the Jedi, his character is just true evil, like the way he says with a smirk "now young Skywalker... you will die" and then his expression turns from a smirk to the most evil face :)
Ian is also great in Sleepy Hollow even though he doesn't have a major part, Christopher Lee is in that movie too :)

Pendo
11-13-2002, 05:09 PM
Ian is one of my favourite actors, he always does a superb job in every role he has. It's a shame he doesn't get as many big film roles, he is alot better than most of the actors on our screens today! I always think of him as on of the altime greats.

PENDO!

kdp100
11-14-2002, 07:09 AM
I read somewhere that Ray Park was in Sleepy Hollow too (it was shown on UK TV the other night), playing the stunt-parts for the Headless Horseman. So that's three Sith Lords in one fillm!

McDiarmid's also been excellent in Gorky Park and an episode of the TV series "Inspector Morse", where he played "The Last Enemy" Victor de Vries in a variety of disguises...

Arrogant Arse
11-14-2002, 04:37 PM
There was in interview with Mr. McDiarmind in the SW Insider, where he talked about his work on the London theatre stage/circut. If I remember correctly, he was the director of the Alameda Theatre in London, and was very busy with that.

He was also good in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

tagmac
11-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Ian McDiarmid'sscenes are considered by a lot of fans to be the best acting (and saving grace) of ROTJ. In my opinion, his scenes also helped save TPM, and were also the most important in setting up the prequels as part of the saga. Can't wait to see him in Ep. III....for what we're expecting, it should be the best acting in the movie. Too bad he'll never get nominated for a "best supporting actor" nomination, since the Academy is too stuck up yo consider anything related with Star Wars these days.

kdp100
11-19-2002, 07:09 PM
I. McD.'s recently been handing over the directorship of the Almeida Theatre in Islington (which he'd held for about 11 years jointly with a chap called (I think) Jonathan Kent) to new blood. Not sure who they are, though.
The Almeida's got quite a reputation - it staged a showing a couple of years ago of "The Iceman Cometh" by Eugene O'Neill, featuring Kevin Spacey.

Jayspawn
11-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Ian McDiarmid is one of my favorite actors. And has such a big role in the Star Wars movies. I wonder what it would be like to meet him? He's a private actor, and I can understand that. he was good in "Sleepy Hollow" I bet he could get more big film roles, but he probably loves theatre more.

Ray Park played the Headless Horsemen in scenes where you see him doing all sorts of moves with the sword and axe. On the side, Nick Gillard was the stunt coordinator in "Sleepy Hollow."