PDA

View Full Version : Reissue HTF Figures

ACPin
11-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Wouldn’t it be cool for Hasbro to reissue figures that weren’t produced in big numbers? This will enable those collectors that didn’t have the chance to get them to get a shot at them without paying exorbitant prices. I could care less what packaging they come with, in fact they can just use the same one when they were initially done. Remember at one time, Hasbro came out with solid packs of Stormtroopers, Vaders and even Darth Maul (big mistake! :eek: ).

Eopie
Death Star Troopers
Darth Sidious holo
EU Line
SOTE (except Leia Boushh)
Euro Pit-Droid two-packs ( just really want the pit droids and their different pack-ins)

El Chuxter
11-02-2001, 01:16 PM
Don't forget the entire last year's worth of E1 product. :)

JediCole
11-02-2001, 02:58 PM
ACPin, were you reading my mind this morning?

I was thinking that very thing as I was preparing to depart for work. Zuckuss (which I am lucky enough to have) was the first figure that popped into my mind in that regard. The idea I had was for Hasbro to take polls periodically to determine the top five previously produced figures that collectors still demand. They could then re-release those figures on the new cards, inserted into the next two to three assortments. After those have been released, start up the poll again, absent the previous top five. Repeat about four times and you will have pretty much managed everyone that we all still want.

As for the Eopie, I think a rerelease is LONG overdue!

Obi-Dan Kenobi
11-02-2001, 11:00 PM
I think this would be a great idea, but the SOTE figures sat around for years! If I saw a Xizor or Chewie Snoova on the shelf these days I'd scream! I don't ever want to see any of those again! But the late 1999/early 2000 figures would make sense, as well as the Death Star Trooper (though I'd prefer a resculpt) and some of the other Freeze Frame figures. I would love to get an Eopie, in whatever packaging Hasbro sees fit, even a brown paper bag with "Star Wars" written in magic marker on it. I'm hoping they release one, and a new Bantha (which I stupidly put off getting again and again) for Episode II.

JediTricks
11-03-2001, 09:30 AM
A "Star Wars Classics" line would be fantastic, taking the best hard-to-find figures from the past and repackaging them and making them easily accessable would be wonderful. Commtech stormies with no chips but with rifles and wrist articulation, Death Star Trooper with better-posed legs, Zuckuss without the ridiculous split-cape syndrome and able to hold weapon better, etc.. And since there's no design costs involved here, the price could even be lower (or more likely, Hasbro's profit margin here would be higher).

evenflow
11-03-2001, 09:51 AM
I am totally against that. I hate when things are re-issued. It takes away from the line when things are done so. If something is rare, it should stay rare. Is some figures are resculpted fine, but none should be re-issued.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
11-03-2001, 11:07 AM
Why should it stay rare? Ideally, shouldn't everyone who wants a figure be able to get as many as they want?

bigbarada
11-03-2001, 02:22 PM
SOTE was almost completely rejected by most fans. I was talking to a Wal-Mart toy manager way back in 96 and he said that retailers had been complaining so much about SOTE taking up space that Hasbro gave them permission to return any unopened cases. Incidentally he was in the aisle stuffing SOTE figures back into their case and taping them shut. So, please don't even ask to bring back the MOST unsuccessful line of Star Wars toys EVER.

ACPin
11-03-2001, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
ACPin, were you reading my mind this morning?
I was thinking that very thing as I was preparing to depart for work.
Great minds think alike! :D

Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
I think this would be a great idea, but the SOTE figures sat around for years! If I saw a Xizor or Chewie Snoova on the shelf these days I'd scream!
I don't remember the SOTE being pegwarmers in my area ever. :confused:

Originally posted by evenflow
I am totally against that. I hate when things are re-issued. It takes away from the line when things are done so. If something is rare, it should stay rare. Is some figures are resculpted fine, but none should be re-issued.

Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
Why should it stay rare? Ideally, shouldn't everyone who wants a figure be able to get as many as they want?
I would have to agree with Obi-Dan Kenobi in this case. There's a difference when rarity is due low supply rather than a variation. Ideally, all figures should really be available to those who'd like to buy them. :)

Originally posted by JediTricks
A "Star Wars Classics" line would be fantastic, taking the best hard-to-find figures from the past and repackaging them and making them easily accessable would be wonderful. Commtech stormies with no chips but with rifles and wrist articulation, Death Star Trooper with better-posed legs, Zuckuss without the ridiculous split-cape syndrome and able to hold weapon better, etc.. And since there's no design costs involved here, the price could even be lower (or more likely, Hasbro's profit margin here would be higher).
In the best interest of the collectors wanting the reissues, there shouldn't really be any changes to the figures or packaging. All Hasbro has to do is just repack these figures together and just sell them, maybe through the Fan club? ;)

sith_killer_99
11-04-2001, 01:29 AM
Sorry guy's I gotta disagree with you......to a point.

I think Hasbro SHOULD re-issue some of the older figures!:)

However, the HTF (EXPENSIVE!!!) figures should be put out in original packaging. This really only applies to the Freeze Frame line and the EU line!:mad:

Hasbro should re-release ALL of the Coll. 3 figures!!!:D

To include the Fan Club 4, Death Star Trooper, and REE YEES!

As for the more common POPLUAR figures, I can deal with re-sculpts!:D

However, Hasbro needs to get a clue!!! If you have a figure that is extremely popular, for example Stormtroopers, then you should have enough common sense to ship solid cases of that figure. There was absolutly NO REASON Hasbro should not have shipped the CT Stormie in solid cases!:mad:

The original POTF2 Stormtrooper sold VERY well, even 99-00 when KB got cases of the Stormtrooper waves! They couldn't keep 'em on the pegs!:D

If a figure is THAT popular MAKE MORE!!!

High demand+small supply= LOST REVENUE for Hasbro!!!:rolleyes:

VERY STUPID!:p

evenflow
11-04-2001, 08:15 AM
I will give you an example, people bought Wuher from the fan club for (i dont remember the exact price) for like 15.00. Then they showed up for 1.97 at Toys R' Us. I am against that. I think it is messed up. If something is an exclusive it should stay that way, the same for something that is rare. That is just my opinion, I know that the majority totally disagree with me.

Wolfwood319
11-04-2001, 09:18 AM
I would love reissues of most of the later FF, like Zuckuss, Ishi Tib, Piett, etc. whether in the original packaging or a brown paper bag. Keeping some figures more rare than others for collectable purposes is one thing, but having figures that go upwards $20-$30 now just because you couldn't get to Wal-Mart the only day they ever got a Zuckuss in is something else.

You could have the re-issues in a special packaging or something, if you want to keep the collectability factor for the original releases high.

Also, they should come out with army builder cases too. A case full of CT Stormtroopers, case full of POTJ scout troopers, case full of POTJ Sandtroopers, etc. Having an army builder figure become rare is beyond me. I want to have 2-3 Sandtroopers for every one regular char, why they are only shipped 1 per case is beyond me.

Anyway, I think I've just re-iterated the entire thread enough, I'll get going.

sith_killer_99
11-06-2001, 07:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, if a figure is rare enough to sell for $20.00-$30.00 I have no problem with that!!!

But when a frickin WEEQUAY is selling for $300-$400 THEN we got a problem!!! Even a mere $100.00 for a Sandtrooper, or $50.00 for Boba Fett!!! These things are only a couple of years old!

I understand with VINTAGE! And please don't give me that tired old line that "Nobody was collecting MOMC back then." I have seen WAY too many carded vintage figures to buy into that!:rolleyes:

My point is that the newer lines should be made available!!! Heck, Hasbro could do a new Darth Maul and pack him 1 per every 25 cases, just to make 1 valuable figure.

ACPin
11-06-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Don't get me wrong, if a figure is rare enough to sell for $20.00-$30.00 I have no problem with that!!!

But when a frickin WEEQUAY is selling for $300-$400 THEN we got a problem!!! Even a mere $100.00 for a Sandtrooper, or $50.00 for Boba Fett!!! These things are only a couple of years old!

I understand with VINTAGE! And please don't give me that tired old line that "Nobody was collecting MOMC back then." I have seen WAY too many carded vintage figures to buy into that!:rolleyes:

My point is that the newer lines should be made available!!! Heck, Hasbro could do a new Darth Maul and pack him 1 per every 25 cases, just to make 1 valuable figure.
Notice that I didn't even mention the FF repacks because the same figures have been available in greater numbers in the Green cards. I did however forget to mention the Scanning Crew Technician from the Millenium Falcon playset.

JEDIpartner
11-07-2001, 10:54 AM
I have plenty to say about this...

...and I'm glad that Wolfwood319 pretty much said what I will say here!

On one side we have the folks (like myself) who would like to get some of the HTF figures that we are missing without having to file for a second mortgage. On the other side you have the die hard "collectors" who want the rare stuff to stay "rare" (i.e.- expensive).

So... some of the members here feel that the HTF should be re-issued on their original packaging, which would ultimately devalue the item. Others feel that, since they would just like to OWN the item any old packaging would be fine.

I subscribe to the "any old package" thought. I just WANT the missing figures... I couldn't care less about the card. They come off the card anyhow. The original releases would still be worth the money since they would still be (most likely) on their original cards and not the re-issued cards. For those who still would like to find the "original releases"... go on-line and pay the crazy money for them. What's the problem? I think this would, for the most part, make folks happy!

El Chuxter
11-07-2001, 02:58 PM
I've said many a time I'd welcome the chance to fill some holes in my collection, even if the packaging said My Little Pony. :)

A Star Wars Classics is a great idea. They could, if they wanted, even change the copyright date on the molds. (Right?)

JEDIpartner
11-08-2001, 12:50 PM
Would you still buy them if the packaging read: Strawberry Shortcake ?? ;)

I agree... this still wouldn't diminish the MOMC value for the original releases.

Ronin
11-08-2001, 05:31 PM
To Sith_Killer_99:

I bought in 1991 a vintage A-Wing Fighter for 200 $ !!! That was only 6 years after its release !
When I want to buy now (2001) an X-Wing from 1995, thats 6 years too, I can get it for 10 bucks or so.
So much for "a couple of years".
It depends on which figure or vehicle you want. Some are cheap and some are permanently rising in price.

bigbarada
11-08-2001, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

Those figures you mention are all available in much cheaper forms. Let's see, my most recent Brian's Toys catalogue lists them as:

Boba Fett (green card) $12.99
Sandtrooper (green card) $4.99
Weequay (green card) $5.99

But I assume you want the Freeze Frames. Well sorry to break it to you; but it's highly unlikely that will ever happen. Hasbro's not going to start the action figure machines churning out old figures and packaging just because a few completists have holes in their collections.

Rollo Tomassi
11-09-2001, 11:19 AM
It depends on your definition of "completist" if you are a mint on package collector, then I doubt you'll get them to rerelease specific carded figures. If you just want the figgies, then i see no reason why Hasbro couldn't pump out a few more R2's with Holo Leia, or the last wave of EPI figures, or some more CommTech Stromies (minus the chip of course.) for army builders.

Put 'em in baggies and sell 'em thru the fanclub.

evenflow
11-09-2001, 11:39 AM
It is so depressing, I am alone in my thinking. :( :zzz: I am missing the FF Sandtrooper, but i do not want it re-released. I'll dish out the money when the time is right for it.

ACPin
11-09-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
It is so depressing, I am alone in my thinking. :( :zzz: I am missing the FF Sandtrooper, but i do not want it re-released. I'll dish out the money when the time is right for it.
I can sympathize with you to a certain extent on that thought, however the sandtrooper has far cheaper incarnations in the green cards as bigbarada also pointed out. The subject here is of reissuing HTF figures by themselves and not the variations thereof.

Wolfwood319
11-12-2001, 03:42 PM
I was thinking of starting a new thread with this, but this seemed a good a place as any to post this.

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and noticed they had just gotten a new Luke X-Wing case. I arrived to see some stock boy opening the case and I quickly scrambled over to grab the sandtrooper. Then I was thinking, and I'm sure this has been mentioned before, I looked at the case and said, wow, it would be nice to have a whole case full of sandtroopers.

So what I think Hasbro should do, since the end of the POTJ line is in sight, is to release some army builder cases. Have a case full of Commtech Stormtroopers and POTJ Sandtroopers, and Scout Troopers. I seriously think that if Hasbro did this, it'd sell. I know I've been wanting to get a few more of each figure, but since these 3 are somewhat rare nowadays, I think it'd be the perfect thing to do to end the line.

I want an army builder case, anyone else want one?

El Chuxter
11-12-2001, 04:28 PM
Sounds good. . . As long as it doesn't include Mon Calamari Colonel or Boomer Damage Battle Droid. And it goes fairly light on the Gungan Warriors.